Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 12:40:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McFlymo

When he brought it up in the podcast, I wasn't aware if he had talked about it before, but Herring completely glossed over it and carried on, which, fair enough, he might have been a bit caught off-guard and Herring is well known for not jumping upon revelations like that from his guests, but in this case, him skipping by it felt really insensitive. It seemed Terry Hall was opening up and Herring just didn't want to know, which given the subject matter felt really irresponsible. Is there not something to be said for having some sort of "duty of care" towards his guests?

It was spoken about again a bit later, clearly Terry had stuff he wanted to get off his chest.

Sebastian Cobb

That article just reports he mentions it in the podcast. It was published on the 30th.

PaulTMA

Quote from: McFlymo on February 01, 2019, 12:07:43 AM
fair enough, he might have been a bit caught off-guard and Herring is well known for not jumping upon revelations like that from his guests, but in this case, him skipping by it felt really insensitive. It seemed Terry Hall was opening up and Herring just didn't want to know, which given the subject matter felt really irresponsible. Is there not something to be said for having some sort of "duty of care" towards his guests?

It was spoken about again a bit later, clearly Terry had stuff he wanted to get off his chest.

Yeah he brought it up again later himself, he clearly wanted to talk about it.  I don't blame Herring for moving on initially, we know he's not the world's most gifted interviewer but I'm not quite sure who could have necessarily known how to handle that in whatever the correct manner should be.  Perhaps Herring in the moment didn't want to seemingly milk the situation, after all, there may have been a few revelations from his guests before, but have any ever been quite so harrowing?

Spudgun

Quote from: PaulTMA on January 31, 2019, 11:51:42 PM
Quite a bombshell from Terry Hall dropped in the podcast.  Has he talked about the abduction publicly before this?

Well Fancy That: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfSqTO5pV0o

Cold Meat Platter

Adam Buxton one up now and it's great as usual.
Good old Adam. Always rooting for him.

Replies From View

Dusty Substance

Quote from: c on January 25, 2019, 09:19:46 PM
I'm reading Herring's memoir 'How Not to Grow Up'. I'll let you know if it's any good.

As mentioned, it's just a collection of stories that he's already told a billion times - If I remember correctly he revisits the one about the fight with a University lecturer.

My copy had a weird bit of editing where a woman's name changes mid-anecdote. It was a bit confusing at first but it appears he wanted to disguise her identity by changing her name, only to give away the real name.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Dusty Substance on February 08, 2019, 12:10:43 PM
My copy had a weird bit of editing where a woman's name changes mid-anecdote. It was a bit confusing at first but it appears he wanted to disguise her identity by changing her name, only to give away the real name.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dusty Substance on February 08, 2019, 12:10:43 PM
As mentioned, it's just a collection of stories that he's already told a billion times - If I remember correctly he revisits the one about the fight with a University lecturer.

let me guess... it's also got some slightly creepy anecdotes about going out with Julia Sawalha.

magval

The Bumlord

I read that book in the days following someone purloining my wife, so I went off Rich a bit, I must admit.

I hope it's like the Brian Blessed one because you know Grant is going to have excellent stories and he needs to be given space to tell them and not penned in by a lot of emergency questions. I think Herring will have the sense to just sit back.

arpster

Been trying to catch up on some of these during the week...but fuck me, what an irritating cunt Herring is...hardly news I know....but spent half my time trying to mute his toe-curlingly fuckin awful interjections...

Mango Chimes

I'm half an hour in and, possibly for the first ever time, I'm dying for some emergency questions. Ronson's too rehearsed an interviewee and speaker, so if you've heard him before or watched and heard his documentaries it's all very prepared material.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Mango Chimes on March 16, 2019, 06:33:43 PM
I'm half an hour in and, possibly for the first ever time, I'm dying for some emergency questions. Ronson's too rehearsed an interviewee and speaker, so if you've heard him before or watched and heard his documentaries it's all very prepared material.

Yep. I like Ronson, but he must surely know that most of us have read and heard all of these stories before? Bohemian Grove and Alex Jones again, Jon? He's got a plethora of terrific stories at his disposal, he should lay off the greatest hits for a while.*

He's a bit like Danny Baker in that regard. Dan is a font of fantastic anecdotes, but whenever he turns up on podcasts he tends to rely on the same select few. If you're interested in listening to a podcast featuring either Jon Ronson or Danny Baker, chances are you're looking for something fresh from them.

Louis Theroux, by contrast, is always great value on shows like this because he rarely repeats himself and seems to delight in going off-script and mucking about.

Sorry, Jon, if you're reading this. I have just compared you unfavourably to Louis Theroux. 

* The stuff about the Christian kidney donor cult leader was interesting, though, I've never heard him talk about that before. A rare example of Herring's "you'll probably know him best as" shtick actually paying off with a good story from his guest.

Mr Banlon

Rolf Lundgren

Disappointing this one, for the reasons stated above. Listened to most of it but doubt I'll finish it and I consider myself a Jon Ronson fan.

marquis_de_sad

Yeah Ronson was on autopilot in that one. An unstoppable anecdote machine.

a duncandisorderly

I've been picking through these, only really watching ones where I find the guest amusing anyway, e.g. bob mortimer.
herring's very parky-like, & clearly has some sort of agenda that's nothing to do with the guest. his manner is annoying.

but worst of all- what the fuck is going on with these hand-held mics? is this a 'we're all stand-up veterans' thing? fucking stupid. ruins the watch for me. rubbish sound. no excuse.

Pranet

Interesting that he has gone in with the big bucks Acast crowd. It is like the Smiths signing with EMI or something.

Tony Tony Tony

You can't criticise Herring for going to Acast there has to be a limit to how many times he can call on the goodwill of those prepared to dig into their pockets.

He is an absolute leader in giving away free stuff although it can vary in quality. I recall an old boss of mine who used to say that if something is free then people will not attach a value to it and treat it accordingly.

I see that an upcoming guest is set to be Barry Cryer... now if he doesn't give value no-one will.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 16, 2019, 06:55:40 PM
Yep. I like Ronson, but he must surely know that most of us have read and heard all of these stories before? Bohemian Grove and Alex Jones again, Jon? He's got a plethora of terrific stories at his disposal, he should lay off the greatest hits for a while.*

He's a bit like Danny Baker in that regard. Dan is a font of fantastic anecdotes, but whenever he turns up on podcasts he tends to rely on the same select few. If you're interested in listening to a podcast featuring either Jon Ronson or Danny Baker, chances are you're looking for something fresh from them.

Louis Theroux, by contrast, is always great value on shows like this because he rarely repeats himself and seems to delight in going off-script and mucking about.

Sorry, Jon, if you're reading this. I have just compared you unfavourably to Louis Theroux. 

* The stuff about the Christian kidney donor cult leader was interesting, though, I've never heard him talk about that before. A rare example of Herring's "you'll probably know him best as" shtick actually paying off with a good story from his guest.

Ronson was good on Russell Brand's Under the Skin recently.  He even did a little cry.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on March 17, 2019, 12:11:30 PM
You can't criticise Herring for going to Acast there has to be a limit to how many times he can call on the goodwill of those prepared to dig into their pockets.

I don't see that he'd need to call on the goodwill of any more people for it to be sustainable. But I don't begrudge him wanting to make more money on it.

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 17, 2019, 12:25:02 PM
Ronson was good on Russell Brand's Under the Skin recently.  He even did a little cry.

It'll take a lot more than this to get me to listen to Russell Brand.

DrGreggles

I see that an upcoming guest is set to be Barry Cryer... now if he doesn't give value no-one will.

Barry was on good form at the ISIHAC Special a few weeks ago.
Great to see after his hospital stay at the end of last year.

Sebastian Cobb

Looking forward to the Cryer one, the 2011 one he did at the Edinburgh fringe was great.

BeardFaceMan

He is an absolute leader in giving away free stuff although it can vary in quality.

Theres only a limit because of the amount of awful podcasts he churns out.  How is he a leader, by giving podcasts away for free hes just doing what virtually every other comedy podcast ever has done. Hes certainly a leader in the varying quality stakes though.