Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:02:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimboslice

Will be interesting to see how good the guests he gets on the RHLSTP tour are. Whenever he's done "specials" in the past it's dipped a little (The Lord Mayor of York?)

I've got tickets to see him in cosmopolitan Wakefield anyway. I'm expecting Jane McDonald and The Cribs.

So far the ones booked are Do the Right Thing, Barry Cryer, No Such Thing As a Fish, Angela Barnes, Stephen Grant, Alice Roberts and Adrian Chiles. Amazingly the Chiles one is sold out. Who the fuck wants to see Herring talk to Chiles?

McFlymo

If the Acast thing stops Richard from having to shill various stuff to us, during the podcast, then I'm very much in favour. I hope it takes all that hassle away from him too.

Also: Echoing the other comments about Jon Ronson. Still, that's been one of the better ones for a while.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on March 18, 2019, 12:42:59 PM
So far the ones booked are Do the Right Thing, Barry Cryer, No Such Thing As a Fish, Angela Barnes, Stephen Grant, Alice Roberts and Adrian Chiles. Amazingly the Chiles one is sold out. Who the fuck wants to see Herring talk to Chiles?

Be interesting to see if he brings up Alice Roberts' recent falling out with her mother over religion - if it wasn't recorded before that.

Bennett Brauer

Thanks. My guess is it'll be off the table, but let's see.

SteveDave

I started listening to "The Butterfly Effect" after listening to the last RHLSTP. In the first episode Jon Ronson says "the niiiineteeeeen-nineties" like Andy Dawson does. I snorted on a packed train.

olliebean

Anyone else got no idea who Emily is or what she's attacking?

Ferris

Quote from: SteveDave on March 20, 2019, 08:20:10 AM
I started listening to "The Butterfly Effect" after listening to the last RHLSTP. In the first episode Jon Ronson says "the niiiineteeeeen-nineties" like Andy Dawson does. I snorted on a packed train.

His cadence and pronunciation on "free puuurn" got me, as did his delivery of the closing credits. He always seemed surprised to read his own name in the copy.

"The Butterfly Effect is producer by... me (!?), Jon Ronson!"

Tony Tony Tony

Todays RHLSTP with Emily Atack was surprisingly good (well for me at least). She came across as pretty interesting, amusing and relatively normal for one from such a showbiz family.

Herring did probe her on the reason for her omission from the Inbetweeners ten year anniversary debacle. Though she hinted at the reason (and Rich threw in a massive clue) it wasn't made obvious.

To save fellow Cabbers searching I have taken a quick Google...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/emily-atack-axed-inbetweeners-reunion-14080553   

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Watching it now and she comes across as such a lovely, smart, self-aware person (surprisingly down to earth and very funny).

As for that Inbetweeners bloke, what a dick.

typeforty

It was a pretty forgettable episode, but she seems nice enough.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on March 20, 2019, 10:39:00 PM

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/emily-atack-axed-inbetweeners-reunion-14080553

QuoteAccording to The Sun, James, who played braggy lothario Jay in the hit comedy, was afraid his wife Clair Meek would discover their fling during their time in the show between 2008 and 201.

That's quite long for a fling.

bgmnts

That sounds like bollocks to be fair but some people are oddballs.

McFlymo

Rob Brydon's up. He does a very short impression of Steve Coogan at one point (no more than a second) and I was laughing my wee head off.

Other than that, some good mocking of Herring and his emergency questions and genuinely believe Brydon when he says he would be happy to never work again and just takes it as it comes. .... Very down to earth and very funny etc...

Zetetic

DrGreggles

Rob's lovely, innee? I mean, we all know that anyway, but he's such great company. A naturally funny, likeable man.

Also, it's easy to take his impersonations for granted as they're all so familiar, but fucking hell he's fantastic. His Ronnie Corbett is the best I've ever heard. Face facts, Steve.

magval

I don't know if it's supposed to be obvious in The Trip how much better Rob is than Steve at impressions, but the gulf is far larger than even the show suggests.

McFlymo

Quote from: magval on March 27, 2019, 10:46:19 PM
I don't know if it's supposed to be obvious in The Trip how much better Rob is than Steve at impressions, but the gulf is far larger than even the show suggests.

Agreed. I assumed in The Trip Brydon was painted as the family funny man who does the voices, whereas Coogan is the character actor but much more respected and serious.

Rob is always quick to point out that Steve's impersonations subtly capture the essence of whoever he's doing, but I think that's just a polite way of saying he's not as good.

Steve is a gifted mimic and an outstanding comic actor, no doubt about that, but Rob's best impersonations are uncanny.*

* Steve's Neil Kinnock is brilliant, though. That's his best one.

olliebean

Very few impressionists actually do accurate impressions. Most do caricatures.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on March 27, 2019, 10:38:41 PM
Rob's lovely, innee? I mean, we all know that anyway, but he's such great company. A naturally funny, likeable man.

He certainly is, and it's nice to see others who agree. Wasn't there a time when he perhaps wasn't liked quite as much as he is now - Perhaps due to over-saturation and his endless commercial voice-overs? Maybe I remembered wrongly.

This was the first RHLSTP for ages that I really enjoyed and I was quick to jump on YouTube to check out Rob's brief appearance in First Knight - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5YZIsJ7s2k&t=125s (1m55s, if the link doesn't work).

Am I being over-sensitive, or was Richard genuinely a little insulted by Rob's mentions of his weight? Just a little bit. He ought to have just taken it on the chin(s).

The Trip remains one of the most superb British comedies of the 21st Century. All  three films/series are great but that first one in particular was monumental.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Dusty Substance on March 29, 2019, 01:07:58 AM
Am I being over-sensitive, or was Richard genuinely a little insulted by Rob's mentions of his weight? Just a little bit. He ought to have just taken it on the chin(s).

Yeah I thought so too. Rich having nothing to come back with made it seem harsher than it was.

kidsick5000

I'm surprised Rob Brydon hasn't been interviewed more.
He's a great guest. Totally engrossing.
I'm guessing he's told the Catherine Zeta Jones story before but that was hilarious.

Replies From View

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on March 29, 2019, 03:41:12 AM
Yeah I thought so too. Rich having nothing to come back with made it seem harsher than it was.

Deserved it though.  He could easily eat substantially less cheese.

McFlymo

nnyyeaaaah... Felt like, "Fat jokes... Bit reductive, like, no?"
Although, Rob's timing of them was fucking hilarious.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Replies From View on March 30, 2019, 02:55:19 PM
Deserved it though.  He could easily eat substantially less cheese.
Could he though? He's been struggling with his weight most of his life. I mean his formative years were spent in Cheddar.

It was a posh version of, 'Lose weight you lazy cunt.' Also there are similarities  to this interview and Sanjeev Bhaskar especially in the role that luck played in their careers. To a grafter like Herring it's probably more of a sore spot.
But you get the feeling Bhaskar was a lot more sincere about it.

c

Quote from: Urinal Cake on March 30, 2019, 10:08:31 PM
there are similarities  to this interview and Sanjeev Bhaskar especially in the role that luck played in their careers. To a grafter like Herring it's probably more of a sore spot.

I think Brydon emphasising luck is just his personality. Look at the facts of his story and he was pretty relentless in trying to make it as a comic. He's also extremely talented. Rich has the work ethic but there's precious little talent on display. Here's how it breaks down in percentages in my view.

Talent/Work/Luck:

Brydon: 55/35/10
Herring: 8/85/7

Urinal Cake

I agree with all that- it just comes off as insincere that's all.