Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:56:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c

Quote from: Urinal Cake on March 31, 2019, 09:57:55 AM
I agree with all that- it just comes off as insincere that's all.

And I agree with that. It comes off as a bit of a schtick, doesn't it?

DrGreggles

Isn't it worth mentioning that Brydon was a jobbing actor and v/o artist for many years, while Herring had multiple TV and radio shows when he was still in his twenties.

Replies From View

Quote from: McFlymo on March 30, 2019, 09:07:25 PM
nnyyeaaaah... Felt like, "Fat jokes... Bit reductive, like, no?"
Although, Rob's timing of them was fucking hilarious.

If only they were reductive!  On the waistline that is!!!

olliebean

Quote from: c on March 31, 2019, 08:57:41 AM
I think Brydon emphasising luck is just his personality. Look at the facts of his story and he was pretty relentless in trying to make it as a comic. He's also extremely talented. Rich has the work ethic but there's precious little talent on display. Here's how it breaks down in percentages in my view.

Talent/Work/Luck:

Brydon: 55/35/10
Herring: 8/85/7

I don't know about that 85. If it was that high, he'd not have been having to write all the AIOTMs the day before after doing f/a work on them all week. A lot of his free stuff has a not-made-much-effort feel to it. (In the best cases, such as the original audio version of AIOTM, that's part of its charm.)

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on March 31, 2019, 11:00:36 AM
I don't know about that 85. If it was that high, he'd not have been having to write all the AIOTMs the day before after doing f/a work on them all week. A lot of his free stuff has a not-made-much-effort feel to it. (In the best cases, such as the original audio version of AIOTM, that's part of its charm.)

The 85 also doesn't take into account the fact that he wasn't above pinching material when he was under the pressure of the audio AIOTM.

olliebean

Also the very existence of Fist of Fun and TMWRNJ (without which I think Herring's subsequent career would have been very different) speaks to a higher level of luck than 7%.

Urinal Cake

Maybe the issue is that Brydon doesn't have to ask for work (more or less) while Herring has to make his own work. Bhaskar seems to have done well enough just as a regular jobbing actor once his initial luck ran out. Not really a path for Herring as I don't think he was that comfortable or good enough as an actor.

marquis_de_sad

Brydon and Herring's career's are almost opposite. Without the Trip and Would I Lie to You, I wonder if most of us would find Brydon a bit tiring. Both those shows, the Trip especially, really consolidated his comic persona in a way that includes the irritating parts of it. His light entertainment style and incessant impressions became charming quirks that he could self-deprecatingly make fun of rather than just being simply annoying. Rich's early persona in the double act with Stew also made fun of his weaknesses: juvenile, gauche, arrogant. The difference with Rich is that the more 'cult' stuff is behind him, so his trajectory is essentially a decline. I'm not saying he's doing bad for himself, it's just that his major artistic achievements are in the past.

marquis_de_sad

Also Rich is a weird mix of always being on in the sense of being a comedian (he'll always go for the laugh), but also not always on in terms of having a comedy persona. Rob is always up for playing a character for the sake of a bit. You can see that in his interviews with Coogan where they play off each other and the audience's expectations of what they're like. If Rich was more like that, he wouldn't just have sat back and took the jokes about going to the gym. But he had nothing.

Urinal Cake

I think being caught in the 'Stewart Lee paradox' is of a bigger concern for Herring than it needs to be. Also it seems like he's not really comfortable with being either old man Lee or gladhanding McIntyre.

It must be exhausting he probably can't wait for the day the BBC offers him a job presenting.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on March 31, 2019, 12:02:17 PM
Also Rich is a weird mix of always being on in the sense of being a comedian (he'll always go for the laugh), but also not always on in terms of having a comedy persona.

Do you not think Rich has a comedy persona in that he plays it with no filter saying the most outrageous things onstage that he wouldn't countenance offstage? It can backfire, the obvious examples that spring to mind are calling Andrew Collins Mother a "fucking idiot" and upsetting (if indeed he did) Stephen Merchant about the quality of Extras series 2?

I am conscious that I may seem like a Herring apologist but (as mentioned before) he does give heaps of stuff away for free even if (also mentioned before) it is of variable quality. 

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on March 31, 2019, 12:26:55 PM
Do you not think Rich has a comedy persona in that he plays it with no filter saying the most outrageous things onstage that he wouldn't countenance offstage?

Yeah that's a fair point, but I was trying to get at that by saying "not always on". Maybe I'm reading too much into one (non) reaction, but Rich seemed to react in a real way rather than reply to Rob's jibes through his comedy persona.

garnish

Quote from: Urinal Cake on March 31, 2019, 12:20:51 PM
I think being caught in the 'Stewart Lee paradox' is of a bigger concern for Herring than it needs to be. Also it seems like he's not really comfortable with being either old man Lee or gladhanding McIntyre.

It must be exhausting he probably can't wait for the day the BBC offers him a job presenting.

He is Partridge, in that sense.

Tony Tony Tony

Agree that Rich does seem to worry too much about the Lee Legacy however, as he has stated, nowhere near as much as the mid/latter part of the 90s(?) when he was sitting at home feeling sorry for himself. He seems like a positive type who got up of his arse and pioneered podcasting which, again as he has stated, has built up a new audience. I for one, though a fan of Fist of Fun, went to several of his shows as a direct result of listening to the podcasts.   

Please let him back on the telly.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on March 31, 2019, 05:09:59 PM
Agree that Rich does seem to worry too much about the Lee Legacy however, as he has stated, nowhere near as much as the mid/latter part of the 90s(?) when he was sitting at home feeling sorry for himself. He seems like a positive type who got up of his arse and pioneered podcasting which, again as he has stated, has built up a new audience. I for one, though a fan of Fist of Fun, went to several of his shows as a direct result of listening to the podcasts.   

Please let him back on the telly.

Pioneered podcasting? Surely you jest? What was it he pioneered that wasnt already being done by US comedians? Also, theres a big difference between giving stuff away for free and not getting paid for stuff. You get it for free and he gets paid through advertising and live shows, just like the US big boys. Fair play to him for being one of the first British comedians to see the money to be made in podcasting, but he saw it being made in America, not as an idea in his own head.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 31, 2019, 05:41:22 PM
Pioneered podcasting? Surely you jest? What was it he pioneered that wasnt already being done by US comedians? Also, theres a big difference between giving stuff away for free and not getting paid for stuff. You get it for free and he gets paid through advertising and live shows, just like the US big boys. Fair play to him for being one of the first British comedians to see the money to be made in podcasting, but he saw it being made in America, not as an idea in his own head.

My bad, maybe I should have typed pioneered UK comedy podcasting, he isn't known as The Podfather for nothing. Also My comedy tastes tend to be very UK centric. I work for a huge US multinational so by the end of the working day I have had enough of listening to American accents.

As for giving stuff away for free, whilst I take your point, I don't see that listening to adverts means the consumer is 'paying' if that was what you were getting at. I don't begrudge anyone being paid through advertising, particularly as the levels on RHLSTP are hardly intrusive and he isn't promoting companies that some folks would object to on moral grounds such as Google, Starbucks, Nestle, Tesco, Monsanto or Beer52.       

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on March 31, 2019, 06:59:17 PM
Wasn't Ian Boldsworth podcasting a year before Herring?

Yep, the Ray Peacock podcast was first out in 2007 and Collings and Herrin was first put out in 2008 so they are all pioneers in that you don't have to be the very first to be named as such?

But feck me... eleven years since the first C&H. Suddenly I feel very old.

Urinal Cake

I think Herring's claim to fame regarding the Internet is that he was one of the early adopters to make money out of it (iirc by charging live audiences back when it was thought content should be given for free) and sort of broke through to the real world (again back when the Internet and the real world were considered separate).

Sebastian Cobb

Weren't the Pilkington podcasts doing that with Audible in 2005?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on March 31, 2019, 06:07:02 PM
As for giving stuff away for free, whilst I take your point, I don't see that listening to adverts means the consumer is 'paying' if that was what you were getting at.

No, that wasn't what I meant. You're getting it for free, sure, I didn't mean you pay for it by having to listen to adverts, they're easily skippable. What I meant was saying that he gives his stuff away for free is a bit misleading because while you do get it for free, he is still getting paid for it. He's not selflessly giving it away for free, it's just not the consumer who is paying him for his work. It's a bit like saying he gives his TV shows away for free, yeah you're not paying for them but he is still getting paid.

olliebean

The RHLSTPs are mostly paid for by Kickstarter, aren't they?

Tony Tony Tony

They pretty much started off that way but Rich has diversified his means of funding of late (Selling badges, Dripster, sponsorship and advertising).

I guess the costs have increased and/or the goodwill of the Kickstarters has decreased.

Replies From View

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on March 31, 2019, 06:07:02 PM
My bad, maybe I should have typed pioneered UK comedy podcasting, he isn't known as The Podfather for nothing.

Are you sure you're not mixing him up with 2006 era Ricky Gervais?

Replies From View

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 31, 2019, 11:28:38 PM
Weren't the Pilkington podcasts doing that with Audible in 2005?

Still with Xfm in 2005.  I think the podcast retread of those shows was 2006 (all three series plus the "Podfather" specials).

vainsharpdad

Some of Richard's live shows are really good. Well thought out, unusual and challenging. Neither he or Lee have naturally funny bones, but he is underrated for me.

What is frustrating though is that he has an inconsistent comic voice. He can come across as a bit bland in RHLSTP sometimes, and he really should have embraced the naive idiot character from FOF more. (He goes there sometimes - - especially in AIOTM. )

If he took himself a bit less seriously he would be better for it. I do have to say though that it's hard to reconcile the workaholic reputation with the skin-of-the-pants writer at times.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Replies From View on April 01, 2019, 04:49:49 PM
Are you sure you're not mixing him up with 2006 era Ricky Gervais?

Quite possibly, I will put up the defence that the Herring's Podfather monicker was bestowed on him by others and he doesn't refute it, a bit like him being "King of Edinburgh"?

Replies From View

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on April 01, 2019, 05:05:03 PM
Quite possibly, I will put up the defence that the Herring's Podfather monicker was bestowed on him by others and he doesn't refute it, a bit like him being "King of Edinburgh"?

But he came up with "King of Edinburgh" himself, didn't he?

typeforty

My problem with Richard over the last 5+ years is that he puts out an awful lot of content in an increasingly slapdash fashion. And I get that there's other pressures on his time now that he has a family etc, but things like RHMOL and the AIOTM 'TV' show achingly suffered because they weren't given the time or energy they deserved. Re-using material, writing scripts at the last minute... these are things that are fine, even charming, when you're putting out a podcast or somesuch, but when you're crowdfunding/charging for a series, making it out to be a big special thing, you really shouldn't take the piss like that.

Tony Tony Tony

The David Morrissey interview is up and is definitely one of the better ones.

Morrissey comes across as funny and interesting. He isn't as funny as the Greg Davies ones or as interesting as Stephen Fry but comes across as genuinely likable with some cracking insights on the art of acting and the fridge anecdote is worth listening out for.

What struck me was how little of Herring there is in this interview thus giving a good guest 'room to breathe'... tells you something that eh?