Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:37:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOLAN

Quote from: typeforty on April 02, 2019, 12:56:58 AM
My problem with Richard over the last 5+ years is that he puts out an awful lot of content in an increasingly slapdash fashion. And I get that there's other pressures on his time now that he has a family etc, but things like RHMOL and the AIOTM 'TV' show achingly suffered because they weren't given the time or energy they deserved. Re-using material, writing scripts at the last minute... these are things that are fine, even charming, when you're putting out a podcast or somesuch, but when you're crowdfunding/charging for a series, making it out to be a big special thing, you really shouldn't take the piss like that.

I really enjoyed his TWTTIN (That Was Then, This Is Now) radio shows; which effectively fed into AIOTM. As you say about the slapdash fashion, this had a very basic structure with which he was able to build up jokes. AIOTM also worked best for me with the ongoing motifs throughout a series.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: typeforty on April 02, 2019, 12:56:58 AM
My problem with Richard over the last 5+ years is....

get a fucking hair-cut, sit up straight, look at the guests when they're talking & put that stupid notebook down. also, for the love of christ, get some fucking proper mics.

that tv gig is a dream, until/unless these things are boxed off.

just out of interest, do folks here 'consume' these efforts as audio only or do you watch them on YT like I do?

Ham Bap

Have watched about 10 minutes on YouTube.
Mainly listen in bed/work.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on April 03, 2019, 09:08:34 PM

just out of interest, do folks here 'consume' these efforts as audio only or do you watch them on YT like I do?

Audio only when I'm trying to sleep.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 03, 2019, 10:08:40 PM
Audio only when I'm trying to sleep.

yeah, the awful sound & the handling noises would keep me awake.

Sebastian Cobb

Last time we did this chat about the mics my theory was it's all just so he can do the bit at the beginning where he pretends to be a proper stand up.

Twit 2

And because holding a mic in your hand is how you role play doing an interview when you're a kid.

Replies From View

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 04, 2019, 06:57:03 AM
And because holding a mic in your hand is how you role play doing an interview when you're a kid.

Those are usually hairbrushes if I recall correctly.  Most ten year olds aren't buying microphones unless they are those weird reverberating toy things.

I reckon Richard Herring would have been practicing pop hits into a hairbrush whilst jumping up and down on his bed.

Brydon is indeed a lovely guy but I think he would be funnier if he were less nice. He could have taken Herring's schtick apart if he'd wanted to.

Wet Blanket

I know the doubt is a benefit not easily afforded to Herring, but could it not be the case that he opts for those kind of mics because his guests are largely comedians who would probably feel most comfortable with one on stage?

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Wet Blanket on April 04, 2019, 03:03:53 PM
I know the doubt is a benefit not easily afforded to Herring, but could it not be the case that he opts for those kind of mics because his guests are largely comedians who would probably feel most comfortable with one on stage?

No its cos he CUNT

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Wet Blanket on April 04, 2019, 03:03:53 PM

I doubt that, nearly all of those comedians will have done a talk show at some point where they're wearing a lavalier, I imagine holding a mic just makes having a chat more awkward.

paruses

Ugh - just started thinking of the mics again and it makes me really anxious - imagine having to hold that for an hour and fend off Emergency Questions.

Sebastian Cobb

It's baffling. I'm sure somewhere as big as Leicester Square probably has some wireless lavaliers for the theatre stuff they do. If not, he's managing to rent 3 cameras and crew, so mics shouldn't be a problem.

Theremin

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 07, 2019, 02:02:05 PM
It's baffling. I'm sure somewhere as big as Leicester Square probably has some wireless lavaliers for the theatre stuff they do. If not, he's managing to rent 3 cameras and crew, so mics shouldn't be a problem.

LST charges to rent out it's wireless mics, because they are expensive to replace/fix.

Souce: I work at LST through the year.

He's currently doing another kickstarter to raise 50 grand. I hate to keep bringing this back to money but how can it possibly cost 50 grand to film one series of this?

Sin Agog

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on April 07, 2019, 04:38:35 PM
He's currently doing another kickstarter to raise 50 grand. I hate to keep bringing this back to money but how can it possibly cost 50 grand to film one series of this?

It turns out it really was that Chris Evans.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Theremin on April 07, 2019, 03:21:07 PM
LST charges to rent out it's wireless mics, because they are expensive to replace/fix.

Yeah I imagine compared to 3 camera operators and kit it's negligible though innit?

DrGreggles

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on April 07, 2019, 04:38:35 PM

Surely 50k can be put to better use than videoing something that only needs to be audio?
Put it in the Scope bucket, Rich!

Just watched the Rob Brydon one and it suddenly struck me that he basically has Steve Coogans eyes and nose. Never really noticed it before..

In fact if you cover the bottom half of his face, it's quite uncanny.

DrGreggles

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on April 07, 2019, 07:16:21 PM
Just watched the Rob Brydon one and it suddenly struck me that he basically has Steve Coogans eyes and nose. Never really noticed it before..

In fact if you cover the bottom half of his face, it's quite uncanny.

He might have Coogan's hair too. Literally.

Replies From View

Twit 2

Very impressed by David Morrissey. He seems like a really thoughtful and decent bloke, and funny too. A deserved round of applause for his thoughts on masculinity, all the more so because they were clearly off the cuff and genuine thoughts, rather than a prepared bit of 'wokeness'.

typeforty

The 'perks' are terrible. Pledge £12 and get 12 new emergency questions! I feel like £1 is at least 50 times too much for "Would you rather wank off a dwarf or be wanked off by a giant?"

magval

I usually defend Rich but aye, these perks include more of his stupid podcasts instead of something interesting. Why pay to guarantee more Stone Clearing podcasts, he's going to make them for free anyway.

Sin Agog

Quote from: typeforty on April 08, 2019, 10:54:39 AM
The 'perks' are terrible. Pledge £12 and get 12 new emergency questions! I feel like £1 is at least 50 times too much for "Would you rather wank off a dwarf or be wanked off by a giant?"

Depends whether or not the giant uses an alcohol-free hand cream.

Sin Agog

Are any of the other post-stone clearing ones besides Brydon and Morrissey worth a watch?  I clocked out around then, as he kept on mumbling callbacks to that fucking rock thing with the guests and I'd have to knee-jerk close the window.  I mean, he did it again in that Brydon interview, but I managed to restrain myself that time.

Soup Dogg

Would you rather wank off Theresa May or May-be be wanked off by some trees ahahahahaha

big egg

Back on the subject of handheld mics, it does seem to be a thing in the world of podcasts... Have a look at this vision of hell, they're even branded!

https://www.facebook.com/8585725981/posts/10157670587890982/

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Theremin on April 07, 2019, 03:21:07 PM

they don't need to be radios, ffs- they're sat down.

herring can keep his fucking precious stand-up prop for his tedious intro, but they can use cabled lavaliers (which he could've bought himself about fifty times over by now) after they've sat down.

really does my swede in, this. if I ever go there, I'm going to throw an old SM58 right at his stupid haircut.