Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:35:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pseudopath

Yep...I could have listened to Les for hours. Very entertaining.

Thought Herring's jab at Stew was a bit much (although it still made me laugh, so fair fucks).

DrGreggles

Quote from: Pseudopath on May 29, 2019, 02:18:13 PM
Thought Herring's jab at Stew was a bit much (although it still made me laugh, so fair fucks).

Haven't heard it yet, but I doubt it'll match Stew's dig at Rich during Content Provider*.

*oddly not in the televised version

madhair60

DrGreggles

Annoyingly I can't remember it exactly, but it did end with "but I did spend 10 years in a double act with Richard Herring."

Probably needs the feed line for context.

Pseudopath

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 29, 2019, 03:31:24 PM
Annoyingly I can't remember it exactly, but it did end with "but I did spend 10 years in a double act with Richard Herring."

In that case, what Herring says in this RHLSTP is much worse. It starts here if anyone's curious (Dennis has just finished talking about him and Dustin Gee having to go on stage after Tommy Cooper died).

Cuellar

What was HERRING'S dig, I am not going to listen to the whole thing.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Cuellar on May 29, 2019, 03:50:46 PM
What was HERRING'S dig, I am not going to listen to the whole thing.

Just linked it in my last post.

Cuellar

godber

Quote from: Pseudopath on May 29, 2019, 02:18:13 PM

Bah - just a joke surely, nothing malicious.

Sebastian Cobb

That's obviously a harmless (and quite obvious) Herring joke.

Small Man Big Horse

This is the first one I've listened to in ages and I liked it a lot, but then I've been a fan ever since the eighties (well, I've liked the man a lot at least, if not always his material). Have to confess that as I'm a petty man he did slightly irritate when he perpetuated the myth that Bernard Manning had amazing timing, it was just that some of his material was dodgy, I watched a brief youtube clip of Manning recently and there's nothing special about his timing at all, but other than that it was great to watch.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 29, 2019, 05:03:13 PM
That's obviously a harmless (and quite obvious) Herring joke.

I agree that there was probably no malice behind it. I think it was just the sudden lurch in tone (after several minutes of Dennis talking about comedy double acts who'd ended due to tragedy) that made me gasp.

non capisco

The anecdote that ended with the punchline "Kids, eh?" was an absolute belter. I've never had an opinion about Les Dennis one way or the other but really warmed to him during this.

Cuellar

He an Emperor Palpatine looking motherfucker these days

beanheadmcginty

I had to Google Dustin Gee after Les referred to his movie star good looks to make sure I was remembering the right person. Don't think Les has seen many movies.

olliebean

Quote from: lankyguy95 on May 29, 2019, 01:09:33 PMHadn't realised he was the next act on after Tommy Cooper died.

Me neither, although, somehow, of course he was.

MigraineBoy

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 29, 2019, 03:31:24 PM

Probably needs the feed line for context.

If I recall correctly it was the end of the s&m / Folk & Jazz bit and how they were 2 incompatible genres.

bigfatheart

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on May 29, 2019, 07:44:41 PM
I had to Google Dustin Gee after Les referred to his movie star good looks to make sure I was remembering the right person. Don't think Les has seen many movies.

There were times he looked like Robert Mitchum.

bigfatheart

Quote from: MigraineBoy on May 29, 2019, 10:08:56 PM
Now I'm struggling to remember the set-up too.  I think it was pay-off for the S&M / Folk & Jazz Bit.

It was a bit about signing up for computer dating back in the early 90s, and filling out a form on his interests. Under music, there were various genres, including 'folk/jazz'. There was a bit about how they were very different styles and it was odd to join them together, before he said that he ticked it anyway and ended up going out with a woman who was trying to play folk-jazz, and she was struggling to reconcile the two styles, as one is about rehashing older, traditional songs and stories, while the other is about improvisation and breaking new boundaries. He could sympathise, as he was in a double act with Richard Herring at the time.

Or something like that.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: lgpmachine on May 24, 2019, 10:03:21 AM
This has now got me trying to calculate the logistics of his likely meal routine during his time as a presenter on Working Lunch

when I worked on 'business daily', we did a two-way with ITN every morning, their news bulletins cut into our show. so we could see the ITN studio while it wasn't on-air.
one morning at 5.30 am or whatever it was, carol barnes was at the desk... waist up, looked like a normal lady newsreader. waist down, under the desk, like she'd just come in from stringfellows or somewhere... glittery skirt, glittery gold shoes, & she was clearly a bit wobbly. she sat at the desk & scoffed a burger king whopper, on set. then read the news.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: non capisco on May 29, 2019, 05:45:52 PM
The anecdote that ended with the punchline "Kids, eh?" was an absolute belter. I've never had an opinion about Les Dennis one way or the other but really warmed to him during this.

Yeah, he came across really well. A nice, amusing, interesting man who can spin a good yarn.

It's also rather cheering that he appeared in an episode of Extras where the joke was 'LOL LES DENNIS SAD HASBEEN' before going on to prove that he's a pretty good actor who isn't washed-up at all.

It's also the best episode of Extras, obviously. Les toweling off his bollocks in front of a mortified Gervais is genuinely funny. It's not even, for once, an adolescent 'ugh, this is a bit gay' joke, it's just how anyone would react if a naked Les Dennis suddenly appeared in front of you while talking about his ex-wife (an unlikely scenario, admittedly).

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on May 29, 2019, 07:44:41 PM

Dustin Gee's non-verbal impression of Robert Mitchum and Kirk Douglas is an incredible piece of mimicry. Les is a lovely man, but Dustin was the star turn in that act.

Replies From View

DrGreggles

Dustin Gee?

One of my favourite songs on the Fables of the Reconstruction album.

rasta-spouse

Really glad the attending crowd made the "ugh-ugh" noise. Imagine if they didn't and it was silence with a few coughs.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 29, 2019, 10:39:46 PM
Yeah, he came across really well. A nice, amusing, interesting man who can spin a good yarn.

It's also rather cheering that he appeared in an episode of Extras where the joke was 'LOL LES DENNIS SAD HASBEEN' before going on to prove that he's a pretty good actor who isn't washed-up at all.

It's also the best episode of Extras, obviously. Les toweling off his bollocks in front of a mortified Gervais is genuinely funny. It's not even, for once, an adolescent 'ugh, this is a bit gay' joke, it's just how anyone would react if a naked Les Dennis suddenly appeared in front of you while talking about his ex-wife (an unlikely scenario, admittedly).
I thought the end line in that episode of Extras was possibly one of the funniest things I have ever heard with "If it's up there I'll give you the money myself" as Les was 'entertaining a lady'.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 29, 2019, 10:39:46 PM

I can't claim to have had a naked Les in front of me, but I do have a Les anecdote which involves him and his ex.

A few years ago my wife was working in the civil service and bagged a jolly to a conference in France. She traveled with one of the 'high ups' in the department which entitled her to travel business class on the plane there and back. On the return leg the high up over indulged in the business class booze and got a tad leary. Also travelling in the same section were Les and Amanda who he took to taunting by drunkenly making the er-err noise we all know and love. Apparently Amanda had a word with the crew who then refused to supply any more alcohol. I collected my other half from Heathrow and as we were driving away she was regaling me with the tale when we passed Les and Amanda queuing with the 'civilians' at the taxi rank. It was obvious Amanda was giving the downtrodden looking Les a right royal ear bashing, I have no doubt the lack of a limo to collect them (as she now seems to be accustomed to) was high on the agenda as well as having to share cabin space with drunken mortals. Whilst this may not have been the straw that broke the camels back I would suggest not being treated like a princess would irk Amanda Holden immensely.     

Tony Tony Tony

The latest RHLSTP with Matt Lucas is up and is as enjoyable as one would expect.

Lucas gets surprisingly thoughtful regarding Little Britain at one point and seems to employ the 'not my intention' to offend defence (henceforth the Danny Baker defence?) when talking about some of the characters. He was especially contrite, or seemed to be, over playground taunts referencing 'the only gay in the village'. Herring did try to throw him a rescue but I'm not sure if he succeeded.