Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:24:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on June 05, 2019, 03:45:23 PM
The latest RHLSTP with Matt Lucas is up and is as enjoyable as one would expect.

Lucas gets surprisingly thoughtful regarding Little Britain at one point and seems to employ the 'not my intention' to offend defence (henceforth the Danny Baker defence?) when talking about some of the characters. He was especially contrite, or seemed to be, over playground taunts referencing 'the only gay in the village'. Herring did try to throw him a rescue but I'm not sure if he succeeded.

Matt Lucas does an exemplary job of how to handle criticism of a portrayal of an individual from a marginalized group. He accepts the criticism, offers to explain why he did it at the time and apologizes to anyone offended, instead of taking to twitter and obsessively attacking a community every single fucking day.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dusty Substance on June 05, 2019, 05:49:40 PM
Matt Lucas does an exemplary job of how to handle criticism of a portrayal of an individual from a marginalized group. He accepts the criticism, offers to explain why he did it at the time and apologizes to anyone offended, instead of taking to twitter and obsessively attacking a community every single fucking day.

Probably helps that he is part of that group though, dunnit?

Wet Blanket

I think he gets let off too lightly with his 'different times' defence. It was out of order to black up and have a character called Ting Tong in 2003 and I seem to recall Little Britain coming in for a lot of criticism at least from the broadsheets on this very matter, only there was no Twitter to get cancelled from.   

paruses

I've just listened to Matt Lucas on Rule of Three and on there he quite openly divides the comedy into spiteful and whatever he called the other bit - he was saying how he likes doing the stuff like the shopkeeper who shouts through to his wife rather than the spiteful stuff.

Will give this a listen as he seems decent unlike David Walliams who has never seemed nice or decent.

McFlymo

Matt Lucas is a prick who spent years parading Shit For Cunts. I'm not buying his cynical attempt to distance himself from how hideous it all was now.

Yes, it's admirable to say you're willing to be wrong and to engage with people on the issue, but it would seem doing so has achieved very little enlightenment from him, so far.

I also had to gasp at "maybe in 20 years we'll think that drag queens performing femininity on RuPaul's Drag Race will be offensive!" Right, so you're shit at addressing how your trans and non-white characters were in bad taste, so just throw drag queens under the bus too.

And the various other half-baked stuff he was spewing out, with Herring trying hard to help him along.

Twattery.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Wet Blanket on June 05, 2019, 09:58:38 PM
I think he gets let off too lightly with his 'different times' defence. It was out of order to black up and have a character called Ting Tong in 2003

They did it again in Come Fly With Me and that was made in 2010.

One of the dates over the next few months is possibly Tom Baker. I think that episode would have potential to be one of the greats. But it does only say possibly. It might be Barry from Eastenders...

magval

I would really love to hear Tom and Rich discuss Lionel Nimrod. Wonder if they had much interaction outside of the last episode or if he was just sent scripts. He was excellent in that. He really got their writing in the same way that Armando Iannucci didn't (as a performer).

Tony Yeboah

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on June 08, 2019, 03:25:26 PM
One of the dates over the next few months is possibly Tom Baker. I think that episode would have potential to be one of the greats. But it does only say possibly. It might be Barry from Eastenders...

Barry from Eastenders would be a good guest.

Replies From View

Tom Baker have you ever tried to suck your own cock lol

Tom Baker would you rather have a ham hand lol

What's the point.

I get the feeling he might be too full of great stories and too willing to tell Herring his questions are shit to fall into that trap.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Wet Blanket on June 05, 2019, 09:58:38 PM
I think he gets let off too lightly with his 'different times' defence. It was out of order to black up and have a character called Ting Tong in 2003 and I seem to recall Little Britain coming in for a lot of criticism at least from the broadsheets on this very matter, only there was no Twitter to get cancelled from.

He apologises very sincerely for it and provides a very good explanation behind their reasoning at the time. It looks like he's invested a lot of thought in it and completely understands the arguments that have emerged in recent years.

The whole chat was a bit underwhelming though. I think because they did talk at length about the criticism it sapped something out of the rest of the conversation. His fulsome praise of David Walliams made me think they had a big bust up at some point.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on June 09, 2019, 04:08:25 PM
His fulsome praise of David Walliams made me think they had a big bust up at some point.

Why? Do you think he was overcompensating? If his comments in that podcast are anything to go by, it sounds like he genuinely loves and respects Walliams. I didn't detect any intimations of regret with regards to their relationship, just sincere regret for writing and performing a load of offensive, unfunny shite together.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 09, 2019, 05:33:01 PM
Why? Do you think he was overcompensating? If his comments in that podcast are anything to go by, it sounds like he genuinely loves and respects Walliams. I didn't detect any intimations of regret with regards to their relationship, just sincere regret for writing and performing a load of offensive, unfunny shite together.

I felt he was protesting too much about it, bringing up twice how much he really likes and respect Walliams. And a bit about critics saying anyone could write a best selling children's book (do they?) but Walliams having real talent for it. I don't know, it just came off a bit odd to bring that up and also not make any reference to Britain's Got Talent and Walliams subsequent career as part of the light entertainment mainstream.

easytarget

Another Osman one coming up, hope he asks what's with the bullying punching down of Pointless contestants all the fucking time.

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on June 09, 2019, 10:28:03 PM
I felt he was protesting too much about it, bringing up twice how much he really likes and respect Walliams.

That's possibly because his friend receives lots of flack for 'selling out'. He was being protective?

I don't know, it just came off a bit odd to bring that up and also not make any reference to Britain's Got Talent and Walliams subsequent career as part of the light entertainment mainstream.

BGT is appalling, a manipulative, cynical, money-making Simon Cowell venture. Indefensible. So no wonder Lucas didn't bring it up, he's not going to have a go at his mate for taking part in something like that, is he? And for all we know, maybe he actually likes the show? Either way, he's presumably happy that Walliams is doing well.

And a bit about critics saying anyone could write a best selling children's book (do they?)

Yes, all the time. Whenever a celeb writes a book, or a series of books in Walliams' case, the common assumption is that they've just stuck their name on the cover to sell more copies and earn some easy, undeserved money for themselves. Lucas is aware of this, hence why he went out of his way to state that Walliams actually does write his own books (I don't know if he does or not, but let's give him the benefit of the doubt).

thugler

Walliams books would never have been published without his celebrity to sell them. Same for all the other terrible celebrity 'children's authors'.

Quote from: thugler on June 10, 2019, 09:34:24 AM
Walliams books would never have been published without his celebrity to sell them. Same for all the other terrible celebrity 'children's authors'.

Yes, everybody knows this. Lucas wanted to tell people that Walliams actually does write his books. I've no idea if they're shit or not, I'm a 44-year-old man with no children, nieces or nephews, but that's not really the point.

DrGreggles

I felt he was protesting too much about it, bringing up twice how much he really likes and respect Walliams. And a bit about critics saying anyone could write a best selling children's book (do they?) but Walliams having real talent for it. I don't know, it just came off a bit odd to bring that up and also not make any reference to Britain's Got Talent and Walliams subsequent career as part of the light entertainment mainstream.

Matt said on another podcast that they don't work together any more and that there were professional fallings out at the end of their partnership, which is probably why he wanted to ensure that it was made clear that there was no personal dislike of each other.
He can afford to be magnanimous though. It's not as if anyone's unaware of who the funny one was! AM I RIGHT?

DrGreggles

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 10, 2019, 10:39:53 AM
Yes, everybody knows this. Lucas wanted to tell people that Walliams actually does write his books. I've no idea if they're shit or not, I'm a 44-year-old man with no children, nieces or nephews, but that's not really the point.

I always assume that celebrity children's authors wanted to be celebrity authors, but just ended up writing something shit.

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 10, 2019, 10:44:19 AM
I always assume that celebrity children's authors wanted to be celebrity authors, but just ended up writing something shit.

Are Walliams' books any good? Parents of CaB, we beseech you!

I'm inclined to presume that they're a load of old sub-Dahl shite, but what do I know? Nothing.

I haven't listened to the Lucas ep yet but on one of the One Show podcasts they openly state they think Walliams is a cunt as if it's a known fact around the industry, and I've definitely seen other comedians having a dig at him. Maybe Lucas was trying to address something he knows everyone thinks?

DrGreggles

I've never heard any stories of Walliams specifically being a cunt, but something about him makes me think that he definitely is.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 10, 2019, 12:24:43 PM
I've never heard any stories of Walliams specifically being a cunt, but something about him makes me think that he definitely is.

Mark Heap expresses a dislike of David Walliams on the Spaced commentary - Walliams pulled Heap's tongue, hurting him in the process. Being old friends, the others all defend him, but concede he does have a sadistic streak (whereas Paul Kaye is a masochist.)

He strikes me as the kind of person who'll have got worse with fame. But I know Michael Legge has openly expressed his dislike for him. But I can remember a lot of veiled digs, I want to say Ian Boldsworth had a pop at him not for working on BGT but for not getting what a comedian was doing during an episode, but it may not have been Boldsworth and I'm misremembering.

SteveDave

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 10, 2019, 11:26:35 AM

I'm inclined to presume that they're a load of old sub-Dahl shite, but what do I know? Nothing.

There's one about someone taking their snake to school that's pure shit. It was donated to charity soon after getting it.

PJN

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 10, 2019, 11:26:35 AM

They are dogshit. Just awful. I've been forced by my kids to read billions of books and his were among the most painful to have to read out loud. The upside was I never had to read them more than once per child. The only books I disliked more were the Wizard of Oz books. But that was because I hate the film. His books I hated on their own merit. One of many things that is wrong with them is that you can't help hearing them is his horrible, affected camp voice no matter how you read them. I hate the Boy Who Wore a Dress the most.