Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:16:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

I dunno about Walliams' books because my boy is only two, but from the books I do read with him it seems like books for toddlers are an absolutely fucking racket. You could easily knock one out in ten minutes and they seem to sell an insane amount, at a decent price too. God knows what the qualifications are for getting a children's publisher to take you on.

lipsink

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 10, 2019, 09:22:55 AM
BGT is appalling, a manipulative, cynical, money-making Simon Cowell venture. Indefensible. So no wonder Lucas didn't bring it up, he's not going to have a go at his mate for taking part in something like that, is he? And for all we know, maybe he actually likes the show? Either way, he's presumably happy that Walliams is doing well.

God, I watched BGT recently, I think it was a semi-final or possibly even a final. It was excruciating watching all the judges, especially Walliams, looking just dead behind the eyes, trying to feign enthusiasm for a load of really underwhelming acts. I mean, there was one point when there was some really quite decent acts, wasn't there?

Dusty Substance

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 10, 2019, 12:24:43 PM
I've never heard any stories of Walliams specifically being a cunt, but something about him makes me think that he definitely is.

Iain Lee had an interesting chat with Jon Holmes on Talk Radio a couple of years ago and Holmes said that Walliams was one of the most unpleasant people he'd ever met.

Walliams comes across as a massive cunt on the commentary for either Rock Profiles or Little Britain. Lucas is mucking around, doing bits and pieces in-character and Walliams just acts as if the whole thing is beneath him.

Then, of course, there was this on the day Prince died: https://twitter.com/davidwalliams/status/723266292921307136

poodlefaker

I saw them doing Bernard Chumley in a pub in Hackney about 100 years ago. Lucas came across a naturally funny, very skilled comic character actor, whereas Wallimas was awful: all anger and self-hatred, awkwardly unfunny. Very uncomfortable.

paruses

Quote from: Dusty Substance on June 10, 2019, 01:53:51 PM
Iain Lee had an interesting chat with Jon Holmes on Talk Radio a couple of years ago and Holmes said that Walliams was one of the most unpleasant people he'd ever met.
[...]

Jon Holmes on The The One Show Show podcast revisited how unpleasant a person he found DW - I think he mentions it every time DW's name come up.

Quote from: Dusty Substance on June 10, 2019, 01:53:51 PM

Walliams comes across as a massive cunt on the commentary for either Rock Profiles or Little Britain. Lucas is mucking around, doing bits and pieces in-character and Walliams just acts as if the whole thing is beneath him.

Then, of course, there was this on the day Prince died: https://twitter.com/davidwalliams/status/723266292921307136

http://michaelleggesblog.blogspot.com/2016/04/arsehole-formally-known-as-david.html

Michael Legge's blog on the Prince thing.

SteveDave

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 10, 2019, 01:42:31 PM
I dunno about Walliams' books because my boy is only two, but from the books I do read with him it seems like books for toddlers are an absolutely fucking racket. You could easily knock one out in ten minutes and they seem to sell an insane amount, at a decent price too. God knows what the qualifications are for getting a children's publisher to take you on.

Yes! There's one called "Spider Sandwiches" that my son loves and it's an absolute horror show of a book. The writing's pish and the drawings are an afternoon spent with MS Paint level. That's getting binned as soon he headbutts me again.

jobotic

Never read Walliams books myself but my son has read a couple, he doesn't like them much. Just before he got to the age to read by himself, I read all of Andy Stanton's Mr Gum books with him. if you want something funny and not derivative of others try them, they're great.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: SteveDave on June 10, 2019, 03:55:55 PM
Yes! There's one called "Spider Sandwiches" that my son loves and it's an absolute horror show of a book. The writing's pish and the drawings are an afternoon spent with MS Paint level. That's getting binned as soon he headbutts me again.

I hope you somehow manage to take Walliams to court for that.

mr. logic

His books are shit. I've read them to kids and ended up using them as useful examples of why we shouldn't continue reading bad books just to finish them.

Crabwalk

Read one and had to watch a stage adaptation of another one.

Both liquid shite.

olliebean

Quote from: PJN on June 10, 2019, 01:22:48 PM
They are dogshit. Just awful. I've been forced by my kids to read billions of books and his were among the most painful to have to read out loud. The upside was I never had to read them more than once per child. The only books I disliked more were the Wizard of Oz books. But that was because I hate the film. His books I hated on their own merit. One of many things that is wrong with them is that you can't help hearing them is his horrible, affected camp voice no matter how you read them. I hate the Boy Who Wore a Dress the most.

I was about to post that of course they're shit, despite never having read one or spoken about it to anyone who's read one or read a review of one or seen any of the TV  or stage adaptations or anything, because surely just knowing David Walliams wrote it would cast a pall over a book that would make it impossible for it not to be shit. The penultimate sentence quoted above seems to pretty much confirm that.

They are dogshit. Just awful. I've been forced by my kids to read billions of books and his were among the most painful to have to read out loud. The upside was I never had to read them more than once per child. The only books I disliked more were the Wizard of Oz books. But that was because I hate the film. His books I hated on their own merit. One of many things that is wrong with them is that you can't help hearing them is his horrible, affected camp voice no matter how you read them. I hate the Boy Who Wore a Dress the most.

You hate the 1939 film version of The Wizard of Oz?? I don't mean to sound rude, mate, but you're worse than Walliams.

Quote from: Utter Shit on June 10, 2019, 01:42:31 PM

If the surprisingly down to earth and VERY funny Charles Manson had knocked off a whimsical children's book within the confines of his cell, someone would've published it. Walliams would, without a hint of moral qualm, provide the voiceover for the animated Christmas adaptation.

Anyway. Matt Lucas seems alright.

typeforty

I've not read any of the books, but I did quite enjoy the TV adaptation of The Boy who Wore a Dress a few years back.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on June 10, 2019, 09:22:55 AM
That's possibly because his friend receives lots of flack for 'selling out'. He was being protective?

BGT is appalling, a manipulative, cynical, money-making Simon Cowell venture. Indefensible. So no wonder Lucas didn't bring it up, he's not going to have a go at his mate for taking part in something like that, is he? And for all we know, maybe he actually likes the show? Either way, he's presumably happy that Walliams is doing well.

I'm willing to concede I could be in the wrong here and reading too much into Lucas' not very pointed comments. There's bound to be some friction between any double act but to be fair they seem to have a lot less than others. Probably helped by the fact that they've both done well since working together.

I hate the Boy Who Wore a Dress the most.

Not being a child, I haven't read it but always thought the premise sounded like a rip-off of Bill's New Frock, a book I have read when I was a child.

Bobtoo

Ed Reardon read out the start of Mr Stink last week. I know I'm not the target market but it doesn't seem great to me.

Replies From View

A stink isn't worse than a stench is it

And I love how after one page you are already 61% through.

Dr Rock

Bobtoo

It's a free sample on Kindle. I think the actual book is 272 pages.

Rich has been talking a bit about the Richard E. Grant situation on Twitter today. Apparently he thinks it was a management decision rather than Grant's, Grant seemed to enjoy himself doing the record, nothing specific was given as a reason so he couldn't offer to edit anything out.

c

Quote from: Bobtoo on June 10, 2019, 07:50:12 PM
Ed Reardon read out the start of Mr Stink last week. I know I'm not the target market but it doesn't seem great to me.

It's so unbelievably derivative of Road Dahl. It's a shit cover version. For shame

Bobtoo

If he was trying to be Roald Dahl he'd have got Quentin Blake to illustrate it.

Bad Ambassador

mr. logic

It's Dahl without any of the ideas. He doesn't seem to get that Dahl was using that chatty style as a supplement to the wild, funny, crazy and irreverent shit he was about to throw at the kids. So not only does his imitation lack the linguistic quality, it also misses the point entirely. Children don't find being spoken to by adults intrinsically fun, they find it slightly awkward; you have to do some work as well.

chveik

Quote from: Bobtoo on June 10, 2019, 07:50:12 PM

this looks like the novel Butters tried to write.

Gerald Fjord

a little birdy tells me the fucker doesn't even write them. and yeah, they do read very much like cheap Dahl knock offs. not awful, but pretty devoid of charm.