Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:03:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

Either a lot of cherry picking in there or the interviewer hasn't listened to a long run of them. My gripe with it is that, like Frank Skinner's chat show, it's at least equally about the interviewer rather than the interviewee and to para-paraphrase Mile Jupp - I've heard almost all of Richard Herring's thoughts.

I was reading the comments below that article. I'd forgotten this gem from the second (?) David Mitchell one:

David Mitchell "I'm doing a sitcom written by Ben Elton about Shakespeare in which I play Shakespeare. We're recording that in January and February"
Richard Herring "Is it shit?"

And to be fair that did lead on to DM talking about the unattainable standards that comedy and comedians are set.

Rolf Lundgren

The Adrian Chiles one was great. He feels like a bloke whose still on the telly so it was jarring to hear him share his falling from fame stories then I looked on Wikipedia and it's been 4 years since he appeared regularly. It's been the best one of these I've heard in a long time.

kidsick5000

Adrian Chiles should be on TV more. He's gifted with the power of effortless presenting. Not showy, not try-hard, not cringey. They should put him on the One Show again, though his competence might scupper The The One Show Show podcast

The Nicholas Parsons episode was as sweet natured as expected.

Panbaams

For a long time when Adrian Chiles was the presenter on Match of the Day 2, on Sunday nights, he was talked up as a refreshing alternative to Gary Lineker's rather more drab Saturday night show with the Alans.

Having the temerity to move to ITV for more money did for his career, seemingly.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Panbaams on July 04, 2019, 09:14:12 AM
For a long time when Adrian Chiles was the presenter on Match of the Day 2, on Sunday nights, he was talked up as a refreshing alternative to Gary Lineker's rather more drab Saturday night show with the Alans.

Having the temerity to move to ITV for more money did for his career, seemingly.

To be fair, it was an absolute shitload of money.
I can sort of understand the argument that he stopped being 'Mr Everyman' once he started earning £2 million a year, but I still thought he was pretty good at his job.

Sebastian Cobb

People complain if you go to ITV for more money but they also moan like fuck if you let the BBC give you money as well.

The current top 10 bbc earners thing is doing the rounds. With added 'pay gap' complaining, which given only a third are women is probably valid, but pretty much everyone on there presents light entertainment that is cheap to make and artistically and creatively bankrupt.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: therubiconhasbeencrossed on July 03, 2019, 03:30:08 PM
ugh, that reads like an over-indulgent wikipedia article

It also tows the line that Herring's interview with Stephen Merchant became fractious. I've listened to it twice and it becomes - at worst - slightly awkward when Herring says that he didn't much care for the second series of Extras. Even then, Merchant handles it quite well.

I don't know why Herring always brings that interview up as a bit of a disaster, as it's a perfectly amiable chat for the most part.

Tony Yeboah

The Parsons interview is a good'un, he has some of the quirks you would expect from a 95 year old man but is as sharp as tack as well. He suits Herring's interview style and rips the piss out of Richard quite a bit. His tone did remind me a bit of the Julian Clary one. I think his age gives a bit of an edge to it as well because occasionally he will set off an anecdote and you have no clue where it's going.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 04, 2019, 12:32:32 PM
To be fair, it was an absolute shitload of money.
I can sort of understand the argument that he stopped being 'Mr Everyman' once he started earning £2 million a year, but I still thought he was pretty good at his job.

Chiles also made the good point that he'd been the main presenter on a successful prime time show for a number of years then the BBC booted him off the Friday show to make room for Chris Evans. That would nark anyone off. The perception in the public eye is that he got greedy and went for the money and there's undoubtedly a bit of truth in that but under the circumstances I don't blame him. 

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 04, 2019, 10:13:53 PM
I don't know why Herring always brings that interview up as a bit of a disaster, as it's a perfectly amiable chat for the most part.

Apparently they had to cut a few of the more combative bits out. Herring mentions it in passing on another episode (can't remember which).

Ultimately I reckon he likes pretending it was a disaster. Gives him EDGE. "Classic car-crash interview, you have to see it, Legend Herring." When really it's just a bit embarrassing that a host would talk to their guest like that.

Merchant handles it graciously, like an adult being forced to babysit an idiot toddler, but knowing it'll be a footnote in their life's story soon enough. Part of me wishes he'd told Rich to shove his two hundred quid up his arse, dropped the massive archaic mike, and walked off.

DrGreggles

It also tows the line that Herring's interview with Stephen Merchant became fractious. I've listened to it twice and it becomes - at worst - slightly awkward when Herring says that he didn't much care for the second series of Extras. Even then, Merchant handles it quite well.

Merchant's reaction is of faux outrage more than anything.
Maybe Herring always brings it up because it makes him seem like the interviewer version of a Shock Jock?

EDIT: Like OGT said a few seconds earlier

jake thunder

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on July 04, 2019, 10:52:59 PM
Apparently they had to cut a few of the more combative bits out. Herring mentions it in passing on another episode (can't remember which).

Ultimately I reckon he likes pretending it was a disaster. Gives him EDGE. "Classic car-crash interview, you have to see it, Legend Herring." When really it's just a bit embarrassing that a host would talk to their guest like that.

Merchant handles it graciously, like an adult being forced to babysit an idiot toddler, but knowing it'll be a footnote in their life's story soon enough. Part of me wishes he'd told Rich to shove his two hundred quid up his arse, dropped the massive archaic mike, and walked off.

Is the fee really 200 notes?

mojo filters

Agreed. I watched it after seeing Herring comment on one episode of that season that didn't quite go to plan, or whatever words he actually used - I think it was a YouTube comment that flagged the Merchant one as that which he was referencing.

I'm surprised anything was cut from that. Merchant seemed to take the criticism with good humour. After all it was a fair, if slightly pedantic critique of Extras S2. Ironically it was the Gervais character who changed, whereas Steve Merchant and Barry were as funny as ever.

Maybe instead of his constant needling around Stewart Lee's success, Herring should work on separating the character and all his needy, woe is me because the BBC won't give me a lifetime ticket to easy street shtick, from the real Richard Herring - who as far as I can tell feels exactly the same way?

Actually he could just lose the fucking Emergency Questions, and I'd be more inclined to listen to his RHLSTP more regularly.

That wasn't the best article from The Grauniad, but I was left wondering about Herring's references to Stew doing standup gigs on the side, while they were still a double act. Instead of any sympathy, I just thought "what the fuck were you doing to earn more money then?"

I'm sure they cherry picked the most biting and divisive elements of Herring's interview, hence not painting him in the best of lights. But still, you'd think he could be a bit more measured and sanguine about the whole business by now.

Unlike many folks who seem to revere the whole Fist Of Fun and TMWRNJ period, I think both Lee and Herring have vastly improved with age. Hardly unusual in comedians, but Herring never loses an opportunity to remind audiences he's got this brick shithouse-sized chip weighing on his fragile shoulder.

As a someone who remembers Adrian Chiles from Working Lunch, as a young man (though admittedly I've never seen him do the footballs, the breakfast thing or the One Show) and where his low key attempts at wit had a certain charm - I thought Herring's interview was pretty good.

I'd guess that if some mainstream, panel show regular comic had done the same kind of long form interview, they'd have peppered it with cheap shots at his celebrity, earnings from ITV and self-confessed drinking habits.

Herring smartly chose to let Chiles recount many interesting anecdotes, leaving me happy I'd learned more about the subject than I knew before watching. Isn't that the point of such encounters?

OGT and Dr G, I think you're right. Herring enjoys depicting it as an OMG must-see interview in which he went a bit crazy and insulted his guest, but Merchant didn't really seem to give a toss about Herring's opinion. He was playing along and pretending to be mortally wounded.

Whatever you think of Extras, it really is a bit rum to invite its co-creator onto your show and say, "Yeah, bit shit mate." Mind you, I would find it hilarious if Herring said the same thing to Gervais about Derek and After Life, but that's because Gervais is a deluded, arrogant, nasty, pretentious arsehole who can't deal with even the mildest form of criticism. Merchant, by contrast, appears to be a fairly pleasant sort who's capable of graciously dealing with criticism in a humorous way.

I wonder if Herring has ever invited Gervais to appear on RHLSTP? He must've done?

mojo filters

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on July 04, 2019, 11:48:00 PM
I wonder if Herring has ever invited Gervais to appear on RHLSTP? He must've done?

I'm sure he has. But you don't get to live like a Hampstead cunt on £200 fees!

There's just no way Gervais would ever appear on that show. He's only comfortable in safe environments where his flannel goes unchallenged. I'm not suggesting that Herring is some sort of David Frost vs Nixon figure, but he'd almost certainly be unable to resist pricking Gervais' pomposity. The latter wouldn't be able to deal with that.

Still, it would be fascinating to witness two neurotic egos clashing in such a way. We'd probably get 20,000 pages out of it on CaB.

big egg

Whatever you think of Extras, it really is a bit rum to invite its co-creator onto your show and say, "Yeah, bit shit mate."

I've said it before on here, but I don't think Herring would take too kindly to someone making similar criticisms of Time Gentleman Please, which he seems to be proud of, but I think was pretty shit. That's why I don't think the Merchant thing did him any favours.

DrGreggles

Quote from: big egg on July 05, 2019, 06:57:44 AM
I've said it before on here, but I don't think Herring would take too kindly to someone making similar criticisms of Time Gentleman Please, which he seems to be proud of, but I think was pretty shit. That's why I don't think the Merchant thing did him any favours.

To be fair, the 2nd series of TGP was pretty shit.

Imagine introducing a 95-year-old man to the stage by doing a piss-poor routine about having sex with one of the Wiggles.

bigfatheart

Autopsy Turvey

On the basis that it was unlikely to ever happen, a man put his hand up at Ricky's Oxford Union address and asked if he would rather date a man with a tiny man for a penis or a penis the size of a man. Interestingly, Ricky was the only person who felt the need to point out in his reply that he's not gay.

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on July 05, 2019, 01:07:11 PM
On the basis that it was unlikely to ever happen, a man put his hand up at Ricky's Oxford Union address and asked if he would rather date a man with a tiny man for a penis or a penis the size of a man. Interestingly, Ricky was the only person who felt the need to point out in his reply that he's not gay.

I'm not sure I've ever seen Gervais answer a question. He either nitpicks and asks for qualifiers or just shoots them down.

Herring: "Ricky, would you rather have a ham hand or an armpit that dispenses sun cream?"
Gervais: "But I'm an atheist."

bgmnts

Jesus Christ the whole of CaB hatewatching that would be mad. Can you imagine if Herring brought up the Extras critique he did with Merchant with Gervais, someone would be leaving in tears.

Tony Tony Tony

A 'bonus episode' dropped yesterday with Herring interviewing Kay Mellor. He seems to have a lot of respect for her so it was almost a proper interview with only one emergency question.

bobloblaw

Quote from: bgmnts on July 05, 2019, 04:03:51 PM
Jesus Christ the whole of CaB hatewatching that would be mad. Can you imagine if Herring brought up the Extras critique he did with Merchant with Gervais, someone would be leaving in tears.

worth it alone to see Scope ambassador Richard Herring once more take Gervais to task over his obsession with 'mongs'

Poobum

The Alice Roberts one is good. Loads of anthropological goodness. Never considered my dutiful pelvic floor keeping my innards from newtoning out my arse every time I sneeze, very useful and appreciated. All very interesting, and she's really entertaining in the telling, has an easy charm, hope the terfs are leaving her alone now.

Quote from: Poobum on July 17, 2019, 04:54:32 PM
The Alice Roberts one is good. Loads of anthropological goodness. Never considered my dutiful pelvic floor keeping my innards from newtoning out my arse every time I sneeze, very useful and appreciated. All very interesting, and she's really entertaining in the telling, has an easy charm, hope the terfs are leaving her alone now.

I concur, she's great. Has she been receiving grief from idiots? Christ almighty, what a world.