Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:55:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Ricky Gervais would be an amazing guest on this, and all the moaning about Rich being mean or rude would melt away as we prepared for the most uncomfortable interview of Ricky's life. And it wouldn't be difficult to get him to show up, just tell him on Twitter that he's just won the First Annual Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence RHLSTP Atheist of the Century and Ironic Comedian of the Millenium in the Field of Excellence Award.

He'd be down Leicester Square quicker than a hooker's knickers.

DrGreggles

Just listened to the Rob Rouse one, as Ian Boldsworth mentioned it on his Patreon.
One of the better ones I've heard over the last couple of years.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 24, 2019, 04:07:01 PM
Just listened to the Rob Rouse one, as Ian Boldsworth mentioned it on his Patreon.
One of the better ones I've heard over the last couple of years.

"Are there any more Just for Laughs appearances in the pipeline?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwOZn_WteNA

The clip had an even worse proportion of likes/dislikes within 2 days of it going up, so maybe people are warming to him now.

SteveDave

Quote from: checkoutgirl on July 24, 2019, 03:42:09 PM
Ricky Gervais would be an amazing guest on this, and all the moaning about Rich being mean or rude would melt away as we prepared for the most uncomfortable interview of Ricky's life. And it wouldn't be difficult to get him to show up, just tell him on Twitter that he's just won the First Annual Montgomery Burns Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence RHLSTP Atheist of the Century and Ironic Comedian of the Millenium in the Field of Excellence Award.

He'd be down Leicester Square quicker than a hooker's knickers.

There they are...floating in rational heaven.

beanheadmcginty

Latest episode is an hour of Herring talking about his emergency questions book? Couldn't hit the delete button quick enough.

Paaaaul

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on July 29, 2019, 12:12:41 PM
Latest episode is an hour of Herring talking about his emergency questions book? Couldn't hit the delete button quick enough.
You missed his story about how he nicks pick'n'mix.

Same. I can barely stand the 8 or 9 times he dives into it during the interviews, let alone an hour dedicated to it.

I wonder if Herring gets stats on how many people cancelled their automatic download of this when they saw what it was?

Replies From View

Quote from: Paaaaul on July 29, 2019, 12:14:40 PM
You missed the five-hundred-and-sixth retelling of his story about how he nicks pick'n'mix.

Noddy Tomkey

It's basically him describing RHLSTP and the book for an hour. The host isn't very good either, but that's to be expected at such a small affair.

Puce Moment

I've been watching old episodes.

RH "I was thinking about Jimmy Savile's Mum the other day."

GD "Difficult wank?"

Starting to think Greg Davies is becoming one of my favourite contemporary comedic minds.

lankyguy95

This is absolutely true. He said "I was thinking about Jimmy Savile's mum the other day." And I said, and this is absolutely true, I said "Diffi..." and this is absolutely true, I said "Difficult wank?" And I promise you that is absolutely a true story.

Don't know why I'm ragging on him, I really like him as well.

non capisco

Quote from: Puce Moment on July 29, 2019, 08:53:08 PM
I've been watching old episodes.

RH "I was thinking about Jimmy Savile's Mum the other day."

GD "Difficult wank?"

Starting to think Greg Davies is becoming one of my favourite contemporary comedic minds.

Yeah, Greg's great. That episode and the Julian Clary one ("Don't lunge at me, Richard!") are my favourite two. Also really liked the Charlie Brooker one where he talked about his first teenage heartbreak and how he turned his bedroom television on its side so he could watch it lying down. And the first Serafinowicz one with all the Phantom Menace stories. ("Trade embargos? Cause kids love those!")

JamesTC

Quote from: non capisco on July 29, 2019, 10:47:59 PMAnd the first Serafinowicz one with all the Phantom Menace stories. ("Trade embargos? Cause kids love those!")

"Be evil"

That is a great one.

A shame Glinner is a nob now because his and Armando Iannucci episode has a wonderful moment when they talk about working next to writers room for Last of the Summer Wine and they added suggestions to the storyboard. "Compo finds body of dead child in burnt-out car" and "Compo bursts puppy with cock" are the suggestions added if memory serves me.

Puce Moment

This Greg Davies one from November last year is proper belly-laughs and tears in the eyes stuff (at least for me).

The story about his teacher colleague talking to those two female teachers, and the '"not finished" story are just great.

I do like that Herring brings up Davies' Father's tall stories because Davies has just SO MANY fantastically subtle funny stories that I do start to doubt. He uses 'genuinely' far too much, and as lankyguy alludes to above, he has a kind of patter he uses before these stories. He admits that he conflates time and people sometimes, but the more I think about them, we all have brilliant little stories from our past (CaB is testament to that - Doomy for instance). Davies just really knows how to tell those stories in a fucking hilarious way.

"not finished" is a case in point.

Bad Ambassador

New episode with Rebecca Callard, who is not brought on stage until more than 10 minutes have passed.

DrGreggles

I'm not saying that he talks about his school/university achievements too much, but it dawned on me recently that I know Richard Herring's grades, yet can no longer recall my own.

Scrapey Fish

I enjoyed Tony Slattery. Great to hear that despite his well publicised problems he can still entertain a crowd

McFlymo

Quote from: SteveDave on July 26, 2019, 04:30:21 PM

There they are...floating in rational heaven.

I just can't get over that being a real thing on this planet. We live in very strange times.

I've been enjoying the brevity of the Fringe based RHLSTP's.

Laura Lexx & Tony Law - I liked everything about her and the couple of clips I've seen have made me a proper fan. Plus, this: https://www.comedy.co.uk/videos/10787/laura_lexx_versus_heckler/ Tony Law, I just fail to understand his appeal. I have buckets of good will towards him, which is very sweet and all, but unfortunately he's a shit, unfunny cunt.

Lucy Beaumont & Scummy Mummies - Lucy Beaumont makes very tired noises of support and sympathy at Herring while he's talking about how great he is, the Scummy Mummies explain why they're really funny and how they have a unique take on being parents...

Jena Friedman & Phil Wang - Loved her! A bit of political edgy, woke shit is right up my faggy SJW libtard (tight little) ass street. I watched the clip Herring said he was crying with laughter at, where Phil Wang inserted himself into a bad commercial for vitamins and felt desolation at how unoriginal or funny it was. Was Herring just trying to be nice?

Sophie Duker & Vikki Stone - Herring made it all about himself as usual, possibly out of nerves at not knowing how to handle Sophie Duker's mention of her "white ambassadors" bit (which seemed like a great bit of comedy). Found some Sophie Duker stuff from Mock The Week, yeaaaahhhhh.... It was ok. Saw mostly videos of her being interviewed. Vikki Stone - Drinks Cabinet is alright, I suppose... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvx6ENbGv_8

Jayde Adams & David O'Doherty - Enjoyed Jayde giving Herring a bit of stick and her anecdotes felt appropriately funny for a person calling themselves a comedian. I wasn't fussed on her stand up, but she at least gave me the impression that she's actually good (even if not to my taste). I'm still a bit on the fence about David O'Doherty's schtick of using average comedy material but getting away with it because he draws it out into (deliberately) crap songs. It feels like he's cheating a bit, but he was genuinely the most engaging (and actually funny) of these Fringe RHLSTPS guests so far, I thought.

Snjólaug Lúòviksdóttir & John Robins - She was OK, glad there is Icelandic stand up that isn't terrible. John Robins, having made that pretty decent The Darkness of Robins, surprised me by being another boring unfunny cunt. Sorry, a boring, preachy, whiney, unfunny cunt.

Spencer Jones & Janey Godley & Ashley Storrie - I enjoyed Spencer Jones, seemed like a nice bloke, perhaps working through some past trauma in a variety of interesting, slightly unhinged ways. Janey Godley & Ashley Storrie were great! Herring wasn't necessary at all during their bit.

Steph Tisdell & Jen Brister - Steph Tisdell is great and right on! Pretty good material, from what I've seen on youtube and schtuff. I liked Jen Brister's delivery and again, "yay! Women! Yay Feminism!" but her material left me a bit cold (was almost a bit offended by her bits on how offended feminists are... ironically) I'd like to know if her book is any good (but a) I'll never read it because I don't want kids and b) I don't think it will warm me anymore to her stand up material).

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Scrapey Fish on August 12, 2019, 06:27:25 PM
I enjoyed Tony Slattery. Great to hear that despite his well publicised problems he can still entertain a crowd

Yeah, he sounded pretty sharp and together. His quick-witted response to the question "Are things turning around now?" was fantastic.

olliebean

Didn't he used to have a stand-up on his Edinburgh interview podcasts doing a bit of their act to publicise their show? Does he not have that any more? I got bored during the first one and haven't been arsed enough about any of the guests to listen to any more, but I've not seen anyone mentioned in the descriptions other than the interviewees.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Scrapey Fish on August 12, 2019, 06:27:25 PM

My mate saw Slattery at WLIIA the other night and said he was on fire. Good to hear him doing so well.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 13, 2019, 12:13:46 AM
My mate saw Slattery at WLIIA the other night and said he was on fire.

The poor guy just can't catch a break.

DrGreggles

Mobbd

Quote from: McFlymo on August 12, 2019, 09:40:35 PM
John Robins, having made that pretty decent The Darkness of Robins, surprised me by being another boring unfunny cunt. Sorry, a boring, preachy, whiney, unfunny cunt.

This seems to be Robbins' default setting, doesn't it? On his first RHLSTP appearance, I was nonplussed by how boring, unfunny, and pointlessly, blandly entitled he was being for no discernible reason.

I'm always interested by the apparent decision of some younger/newer guests to put up a sort of barely-tolerant [faux?] hostility to Rich as if he's an establishment gatekeeper or something rather than a long-serving and actually-quite-principled fellow comedian.

They either think it's entertaining to affect this lame sort of swagger (missing the copious recorded evidence that establishing chemistry with Rich is 50% of the battle) or else it's a principle stance/virtue signal I'm not quite able to read. Are they against olds? Or maybe they really are just entitled pricks who don't know how to contribute to an hour of entertaining pod and fall into a defence stance instead. Fuck knows.

Mobbd

This was just a promotional event at a literary festival for the book. It's an extra feature, not main line podcast.

Blinder Data

Tony Law, I just fail to understand his appeal. I have buckets of good will towards him, which is very sweet and all, but unfortunately he's a shit, unfunny cunt.

Can't let this go. He is not shit, he is not unfunny, he is not a cunt. One of my favourite stand-ups but I understand he's not for everyone.

"No, I don't WANT to go to the Pompidou centah. No, I don't want to go. It's got the ventilation on the OUT-SIDE!". In a Yorkshire accent. I can't explain it, it's just funny.

McFlymo

Quote from: Blinder Data on August 13, 2019, 11:45:38 AM
Can't let this go. He is not shit, he is not unfunny, he is not a cunt. One of my favourite stand-ups but I understand he's not for everyone.

"No, I don't WANT to go to the Pompidou centah. No, I don't want to go. It's got the ventilation on the OUT-SIDE!". In a Yorkshire accent. I can't explain it, it's just funny.

Whacky Canadian does funny English accents!

Maybe you can't explain it, because there's nothing to explain?
It's just not funny.

I'm being a dick, I know. He's just not my cup of tea.

Isn't it fair to say he has managed to build a large portion of his career on being "whacky" and sustain public interest in him by being "troubled", having his whole alcohol fuelled crash. Certainly, I have empathy for the guy and I'm glad he's pulled himself together and managed to come out the other side of his destructive party life. I'm just not even vaguely amused by his efforts and the way Herring fawns over him is irksome.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Blinder Data on August 13, 2019, 11:45:38 AM

You're right. He's fucking hilarious.
Saw him yesterday and he was brilliant.

Clearly not for everyone, but that's because some people are joyless braindead cunts.

DeGrise

I have buckets of good will towards him, which is very sweet and all, but unfortunately he's a shit, unfunny cunt.

Completely incorrect use of the word 'cunt'.

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 13, 2019, 05:00:54 PM
Clearly not for everyone, but that's because some people are joyless braindead cunts.

Entirely correct use of the word 'cunt'.

rasta-spouse

Tony Law's really variable I find. Sometimes you get an inspired madman that hits Steve Martin heights. Other times you get a rambling madman who is barely putting on a show.