Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:01:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

It's definitely a tightrope with Law, I saw his show a few years ago by myself and absolutely loved it, my stomach hurt with how much I was laughing, so I decided to take my wife a couple of days later. The show was along the same lines but she sat stony faced throughout and thus it no longer seemed funny to me either. Actually that's just an anecdote about my wife sucking the joy out of life isn't it.

beanheadmcginty

Whenever people mention Tony Law my brain can only ever picture Tony Way.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: non capisco on July 29, 2019, 10:47:59 PM
Yeah, Greg's great. That episode and the Julian Clary one ("Don't lunge at me, Richard!") are my favourite two.

Which Greg Davies one? There are at least two.

Mobbd

Quote from: Pseudopath on August 14, 2019, 02:22:10 PM
Tony Hawks for me.

But you're getting Tony Hawk. Sorry for any inconvenience this will cause.

DrGreggles

Quote from: checkoutgirl on August 14, 2019, 01:35:06 PM
Which Greg Davies one? There are at least two.

The first Davies one is better, but they're both terrific.
If there's a top ten episodes list, they'd both be in mine.

Replies From View

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 14, 2019, 03:14:44 PM
The first Davies one is better, but they're both terrific.
If there's a top ten episodes list, they'd both be in mine.

Maybe we could start a poll for this.  Hmm.

I might do it later.

Replies From View

I'm really tempted to start a poll with unlimited votes for people to mark their favourite episodes, but I don't think we want a poll with 250 episodes and counting clogging up the start of every page.  So it would need to be 20 episodes tops, but then where would I start when choosing those?

Maybe it's just a daft idea.

Utter Shit

Greg Davies
David Mitchell
Elis James & John Robins
Armando Iannucci & Graham Linehan (maybe not, then)
James Acaster

There are loads more, and a couple of those I've mentioned have appeared more than once.

The new one with Richard Osman is great. What a likeable, naturally witty chap.

paruses

Here are 20 names I can remember (in no particular order). Would be good to throw in others and do a Desert Island Discs sort of thing where if the archive was wiped and only ten were saved what would you hope for (that could be an Emergency Question, couldn't it? How easy is that?):

Steve Coogan
Bob Mortimer
Greg Davies (1)
Limmy (1)
Julian Clary
Stewart Lee (1)
Paul Sinah
David Mitchell (1)
Jenny Eclair
Alexei Sayle
Katherine Ryan
Mark Gatiss
Bridgit Christie
Peter Serafinowicz (1)
Armando Iannuci (all but the one with Linehan if I had to choose)
Steve Pemberton + Reece Shearsmith
Sean Hughes
Robert Popper
Diane Morgan
Adrian Chiles

Utter Shit

Oh God can't believe I forgot Limmy, both of his were brilliant.

paruses

Quote from: Utter Shit on August 15, 2019, 01:10:10 PM
Oh God can't believe I forgot Limmy, both of his were brilliant.

Haven't heard the second but the first one sticks in my mind because he'd Done A Herring and not bothered to know anything about Herring's schtick and taking the standard Tam Dalyell impression as a very very personal insult.

Also - I've not phrased the Armando episode one very well - I mean if I had to choose it would be the one with Linehan (not any of them except the one with Linehan).

Tony Tony Tony

Greg Davies - The first one with the story about his dog and the Milk 'legend'
Adam Buxton - The one where he describes the argument at the railway station over tobacco
Johhny Vegas - All of it
Danny Baker (Because I was at that one)
Jon Ronson - The first one

How about we name our dream guest who hasn't yet been on? I would love to hear Herring interview Frank Skinner. 

marquis_de_sad

I would add the Louis Theroux one, especially for the spectacle of Louis using his Louis powers on an unsuspecting Rich.

Replies From View

Thanks guys; I'll get the poll started later, along with the relevant podcast numbers to erase ambiguity where people make multiple appearances.  I'm also going to add the Miles Jupp, Stephen Marchant and Andrew Collings ones because I like them.

EOLAN

Replies From View

Quote from: paruses on August 15, 2019, 01:16:02 PM
Haven't heard the second but the first one sticks in my mind because he'd Done A Herring and not bothered to know anything about Herring's schtick and taking the standard Tam Dalyell impression as a very very personal insult.

I thought he was only pretending to be confused and insulted during that?

paruses

Quote from: Replies From View on August 15, 2019, 01:29:02 PM

I would have to listen to it again - it was a while back in the days where I refused to listen to any out of order and would save them up. I just remember Herring stuttering to explain it was the only accent he could do and always did. I like to think that's what happened.

Quote from: Replies From View on August 15, 2019, 01:23:32 PM
Thanks guys; I'll get the poll started later, along with the relevant podcast numbers to erase ambiguity where people make multiple appearances.  I'm also going to add the Miles Jupp, Stephen Marchant [...]

Yes - Miles Jupp one is excellent. There are loads I would add onto the 20 I could remember - Am quite looking forward to having to choose.

Ferris

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on August 15, 2019, 01:18:03 PM
Adam Buxton - The one where he describes the argument at the railway station over tobacco

Yes. This was a great little story.

Quote from: Replies From View on August 15, 2019, 01:29:02 PM

That was my interpretation as well

paruses

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 15, 2019, 01:39:11 PM
That was my interpretation as well

What about when he named his favourite Beatles album?

But seriously, folks -  I'll go back and listen and see how bad / selective my memory is.

Replies From View

Quote from: paruses on August 15, 2019, 01:38:03 PM
I would have to listen to it again -

Sometimes (but not always) visuals help to clear up ambiguities like this.  It might be worth checking out the video version.

In this instance the video doesn't show any giveaway smirking or corpsing or anything, but I nevertheless get the vibe of Limmy pretending not to understand what Richard is getting at and feigning annoyance.  See also when he pretends not to appreciate when Richard is referencing his sketches.  It's a persona that has appeared fairly frequently on his youtube stream since.

marquis_de_sad

Didn't Limmy already have a back-and-forth with Herring on twitter a while before the recording? He also talked about it in one of his old webcam streams, if I remember correctly. Anyway, he said he knew what Richard was doing, irony-wise, but still found it objectionable.

Btw I also don't think Limmy was genuinely annoyed in the RHLSP episode, just a bit over it.

Replies From View

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on August 15, 2019, 03:20:58 PM
Didn't Limmy already have a back-and-forth with Herring on twitter a while before the recording?

They discussed it in the podcast briefly (because Richard was concerned, I think) and Limmy said he couldn't remember anything about it.  There was no coldness between them from that point of view.

Utter Shit

Limmy's detailed explanation of his online Monopoly tactics was so bloody funny, same with his attempts to justify ruining other people's fun now that he doesn't drink or do drugs any more.

DrGreggles

Top 10:
D Baker
B Blessed
J Clary
G Davies x 2
L Dennis (no, really)
N Frost
B Mortimer
P Serafinowicz
L Theroux

paruses

Haven't listened to Les Dennis yet but it doesn't surprise me it's worth nominating. When the Peacock and Gamble interviewed him he was really interesting.

Nick Frost another excellent choice. Apart from anything the only suck-your-own-cock answer worth listening to.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 15, 2019, 04:46:02 PM
Top 10:
D Baker
B Blessed
J Clary
G Davies x 2
L Dennis (no, really)
N Frost
B Mortimer
P Serafinowicz
L Theroux
T Woman

lankyguy95

Greg Davies
Nick Frost
Julian Clary
Stephen Fry
Paul Merton
Richard Osman
David Mitchell
Nicholas Parsons
Adam Buxton
Robert Webb
Bob Mortimer
Louis Theroux
Victoria Coren Mitchell
Miles Jupp

.... would probably be my list of favourite guests.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I've just watched the Louis Theroux episode again and it's definitely one of the best. Louis is a naturally funny man and a great storyteller, and Rich is clearly interested in what he has to say. Also, the aforementioned bit where Louis effortlessly turns the tables and starts interviewing his interviewer is a RHLSTP highlight. Rich loves talking about himself at length, but watching him gradually realise that he's just been 'Therouxed' is very enjoyable.

selectivememory

I don't think she's been mentioned yet, but Maria Bamford was one of the better guests. I remember enjoying the David Cross one a lot as well.