Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:07:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Okay, here's the list so far.  I have added the Lee Mack one because I like it (nobody else has chosen it) and whenever anyone suggested a name without a specific choice of episode, I included all of that person's appearances.  So for example both of Katherine Ryan's appearances are in this list because I didn't know which one was wanted.

It's a long list (53 items), and I wonder if we should prune it a bit before I add it as a poll.  We don't want it to be tedious to scroll past at the top of every page.  So I'll leave it to you to make any further suggestions of addition or subtraction before I put it up.

#6 Nick Frost
#8 Stewart Lee (1)
#11 Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith
#12 Peter Serafinowicz
#13 David Mitchell (1)
#15 Adam Buxton (1)
#18 Stephen Fry
#25 Sean Hughes
#29 Miles Jupp
#33 Stephen Merchant
#35 Jenny Eclair
#38 Alexei Sayle
#39 Greg Davies (1)
#40 Danny Baker
#44 Jon Ronson
#46 Katherine Ryan (1)
#47 Mark Gatiss
#49 James Acaster (1)
#50 Steve Coogan
#56 Richard Osman (1)
#59 Victoria Coren Mitchell
#63 Stewart Lee (2)
#64 Bob Mortimer
#68 Robert Webb (1)
#69 Louis Theroux
#71 Johnny Vegas
#76 Bridget Christie
#78 Paul Sinah
#80 Limmy (1)
#83 Diane Morgan
#84 Lee Mack
#86 Robert Popper
#94 David Mitchell (2)
#117 Armando Iannucci (1)
#135 Paul Merton
#138 Adam Buxton (2)
#140 Andrew Collings
#145 Julian Clary
#146 Limmy (2)
#148 Robert Webb (2)
#152 Armando Iannucci (2)
#159 Richard Osman (2)
#167 John Robins and Elis James
#173 Katherine Ryan (2)
#174 Peter Baynham
#175 Brian Blessed
#177 Maria Bamford
#190 Greg Davies (2)
#200 Adam Buxton (3)
#208 James Acaster (2)
#213 Les Dennis
#217 Adrian Chiles
#218 Nicholas Parsons

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: lankyguy95 on August 15, 2019, 07:57:15 PM

David Mitchell
Nicholas Parsons

I scrolled past your list and thought I read Nicholas Witchell ! god knows how that would go...

Wet Blanket

Simon Munnery's immensely drunk and forthright appearance deserves a mention

Twit 2

lankyguy95

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on August 16, 2019, 10:35:39 AM
I scrolled past your list and thought I read Nicholas Witchell ! god knows how that would go...
Nicholas, have you ever tried to suck Prince Phillip's cock?

Replies From View

Oh yes Simon Munnery - good shout.

When guests appeared multiple times, should I only add them to the list once?

Just think the list should be somehow hacked down, really.  You're going to get pissed off repeatedly scrolling past it otherwise.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Replies From View on August 16, 2019, 01:40:18 PM
Just think the list should be somehow hacked down, really.  You're going to get pissed off repeatedly scrolling past it otherwise.

I'd say just limit it to the ones I mentioned, having to scroll past ones I didn't mention is already beginning to wind me up tbh.

beanheadmcginty

I've never heard Lost Voice Guy before today's episode. Am I right in thinking that his computer is speaking with the voice of Martin Jarvis?

Panbaams

Quote from: Replies From View on August 16, 2019, 01:40:18 PM
Oh yes Simon Munnery - good shout.

When guests appeared multiple times, should I only add them to the list once?

One show per year, or per series, maybe?

c

Tony Yeboah

I found Richard Osman a bit irritating in his appearance this week. He's a funny bloke but he takes the 'Stewart Lee's more successful than Richard Herring' theme and wrings the life out of it.

Replies From View

Okay, Simon Munnery is added to the list below:

#6 Nick Frost
#8 Stewart Lee (1)
#11 Steve Pemberton and Reece Shearsmith
#12 Peter Serafinowicz
#13 David Mitchell (1)
#15 Adam Buxton (1)
#18 Stephen Fry
#25 Sean Hughes
#29 Miles Jupp
#33 Stephen Merchant
#35 Jenny Eclair
#38 Alexei Sayle
#39 Greg Davies (1)
#40 Danny Baker
#44 Jon Ronson
#46 Katherine Ryan (1)
#47 Mark Gatiss
#49 James Acaster (1)
#50 Steve Coogan
#56 Richard Osman (1)
#59 Victoria Coren Mitchell
#63 Stewart Lee (2)
#64 Bob Mortimer
#68 Robert Webb (1)
#69 Louis Theroux
#71 Johnny Vegas
#76 Bridget Christie
#78 Paul Sinah
#80 Limmy (1)
#83 Diane Morgan
#84 Lee Mack
#86 Robert Popper
#94 David Mitchell (2)
#117 Armando Iannucci (1)
#132 Simon Munnery
#135 Paul Merton
#138 Adam Buxton (2)
#140 Andrew Collings
#145 Julian Clary
#146 Limmy (2)
#148 Robert Webb (2)
#152 Armando Iannucci (2)
#159 Richard Osman (2)
#167 John Robins and Elis James
#173 Katherine Ryan (2)
#174 Peter Baynham
#175 Brian Blessed
#177 Maria Bamford
#190 Greg Davies (2)
#200 Adam Buxton (3)
#208 James Acaster (2)
#213 Les Dennis
#217 Adrian Chiles
#218 Nicholas Parsons

Quote from: Panbaams on August 16, 2019, 07:38:09 PM
One show per year, or per series, maybe?

This could be difficult when many people's favourites sit within the same year/series.

Eh, maybe it's a bit pointless to start a poll anyway.  Nice to have that list though.

magval

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on August 17, 2019, 01:08:50 AM
I found Richard Osman a bit irritating in his appearance this week. He's a funny bloke but he takes the 'Stewart Lee's more successful than Richard Herring' theme and wrings the life out of it.

Is it not generally accepted that Richard Osman is a smug fucking cunt? I didn't realise he was at all liked by anyone outside of the Pointless audience.

easytarget

Osman is a fucking bully on Pointless. And he's not funny. And those back and forths with 'Xander' are appalling. 

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: easytarget on August 17, 2019, 08:55:21 PM
Osman is a fucking bully on Pointless. And he's not funny. And those back and forths with 'Xander' are appalling.

This is correct.

Thosworth

If there was a scale with 'warm and witty' at one end and 'smarmy smartarse' at the other, for me, Richard Osman would be forever teetering on the fulcrum. However, his appearance on Successville was well within the former region of the scale.

DrGreggles

I'd probably consider him a smarmy smartarse if it wasn't for him generally being good value whenever he appears on stuff.

marquis_de_sad

He's much better when released from his Pointless prison. He clearly resents being on it, in contrast to Armstrong, who is perfectly comfortable in the gentle daytime atmosphere of the show.

Terryfuckwit

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on August 19, 2019, 03:02:09 PM
He's much better when released from his Pointless prison. He clearly resents being on it, in contrast to Armstrong, who is perfectly comfortable in the gentle daytime atmosphere of the show.

It's his concept isn't it? I know he was or is a commissioner. Maybe he wanted to be the actual host.

I liked him when he challenged the new soft voice Frankie Boyle on Tramadol Nights.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

QuoteIt's his concept isn't it? I know he was or is a commissioner. Maybe he wanted to be the actual host.

The problem with him is, much as he wishes otherwise I'm sure, he's a crap host and just way more suited to dishing out smart arse remarks from the sidelines. Despite crossing the line into just being a cock sometimes, he's usually very funny.

I get that he's probably always fancied himself as a host and spent years with it in reach while producing/being a "sidekick" but it's just not something he's good at. Hosting some casual chat onstage with Frankie Boyle, for example, fine. Relaxed and charming as ever. But playing a proper quiz show host, doing lines to camera, he's got all the charisma of a hat stand, as I whinged about in an old post about an episode of Pointless where they swapped places and when he hosted HIGNFY one time and was back to being a panellist the next.

I've gone way off topic there and for all I know in the last couple of years I could have missed him on something saying he wasn't that into presenting anymore, who knows. Someone feel free to correct me here!

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on August 19, 2019, 07:00:22 PM
I get that he's probably always fancied himself as a host and spent years with it in reach while producing/being a "sidekick" but it's just not something he's good at. Hosting some casual chat onstage with Frankie Boyle, for example, fine. Relaxed and charming as ever. But playing a proper quiz show host, doing lines to camera, he's got all the charisma of a hat stand, as I whinged about in an old post about an episode of Pointless where they swapped places and when he hosted HIGNFY one time and was back to being a panellist the next.

It's definitely got out of hand in that he appears on bloomin' everything and his appearances on panel shows are full of callbacks. Endless callbacks. It's like he realised he got a laugh with it once and now does it everytime. He also does a thing where he constantly talks to the people at home asking how they got on. It doesn't matter Richard, we're not taking part.

Quote from: Scrapey Fish on August 12, 2019, 06:27:25 PM
I enjoyed Tony Slattery. Great to hear that despite his well publicised problems he can still entertain a crowd

Loved it too. It was the best he's been in recent interviews and two moments really made me laugh out loud. One was his retelling of falling into despair with torturous recordings of 'Trivial Pursuit' - "Have you ever been involved in a major civil disturbance? ANSWER ME!" and his psychiatrist's frank assessment of his state of mind and Tony's subsequent response.

Listened to the Rob Rouse one too but gave up halfway through when I realised he was doing his act. He sounded like he was going over big with the crowd but he was insufferable to me.

poo

jimboslice

The Ian Boldsworth / Ray Peacock RHLSTP deserves adding to the list. Think it's one of the most viewed on YouTube.

Quote from: jimboslice on August 23, 2019, 10:21:15 AM
The Ian Boldsworth / Ray Peacock RHLSTP deserves adding to the list. Think it's one of the most viewed on YouTube.

Sadly I think the high view count is mainly down to those drunk hecklers who accuse Ian of sexism.

I was thinking about this one the other day, and I know he comes in for a lot of (deserved) stick, but Rich not intervening or supporting Ian here is one of the few times I genuinely thought he acted like a proper shit.

He later said on another pod he didn't say anything was because he felt Ian was handling it well on his own, but it comes across like the cowardly abandoning of a mate. At the end of the day it's his fucking RHLSTP and he could/should have said something to back Ian up.

Edit: just relistened and Rich does actually stick up for Ian a bit before taking the comedic approach of agreeing Ian was sexist, but that's clearly meant to be a joke. It was much worse in my memory so I'm glad I relistened. Sorry Rich.

Replies From View

In this instance I don't think you get the full effect in the audio-only version.  If you watch the video version you'll see Rich actively pulling faces that indicate - jokily or otherwise - that he doesn't necessarily agree with Ian's take on things.  There is an unpleasant atmosphere of ambiguity when it should be clearer that Ian isn't in the wrong.  To me it reads as though Richard stopped paying proper attention for a few minutes and then didn't want to take Ian's side because he wasn't actually sure what had happened.

Honestly I think Rich is just doing it because he finds it funny that it's happened to Ian. I'm sure Ian said somewhere, possibly on Fubar, that he'd have handled it the same way Herring did because he would find it funny if it happened to him.

Sebastian Cobb

I thought Jess Thom was one of the better ones, it was an interesting, funny insightful interview that went deeper than the usual anecdotes/troubled comedian stuff.

easytarget

Anyone get though more than a few seconds of the Geoff Norcott one?
"oi oi geezer, arm fackin nervous abaaaht this one, mush!"
"now you used to present a show for Nuts TV?"
"it was bantz, just bantz, facking bantz, only on free ahrs sleep as it is. fackin mary. five for a pahnd your pears daarlin, do what? get aaaht!"
"and you're one of the only stand ups to admit to voting for the Conservatives"
"ahdmit? fahckin too right"
<quit, loads Harmontown>