Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:14:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: easytarget on August 26, 2019, 06:17:57 AM
Anyone get though more than a few seconds of the Geoff Norcott one?
"oi oi geezer, arm fackin nervous abaaaht this one, mush!"
"now you used to present a show for Nuts TV?"
"it was bantz, just bantz, facking bantz, only on free ahrs sleep as it is. fackin mary. five for a pahnd your pears daarlin, do what? get aaaht!"
"and you're one of the only stand ups to admit to voting for the Conservatives"
"ahdmit? fahckin too right"
<quit, loads Harmontown>

I've often wondered whether it's possible to be both right-wing and funny.  I assume not but this might just be because I lack any right-wing friends.

Terryfuckwit

Quote from: Replies From View on August 26, 2019, 11:07:04 AM
I've often wondered whether it's possible to be both right-wing and funny.  I assume not but this might just be because I lack any right-wing friends.

Maybe YOU (the royal you) can't find right wingers funny, because their opposite disposition is too jarring, but I love Nick Dipaolo

vainsharpdad

It partly depends on whether you empathise with punching up or or punching down, I would imagine.

Who do you want put in their place - the proles or the idiots in charge?

Replies From View

Quote from: vainsharpdad on August 26, 2019, 03:13:35 PM
It partly depends on whether you empathise with punching up or punching down, I would imagine.

I think this is a good way of putting it.

Scrapey Fish

Norm MacDonald is right wing and one of the funniest out there.

I admit he may be the exception that proves the rule

Replies From View

Quote from: Scrapey Fish on August 26, 2019, 09:46:11 PM

I've never experienced Norm Macdonald beyond having a picture of Mac McDonald (captain of Red Dwarf) in my mind, realising it's not him, mentally putting Norman Lovett's face onto Mac McDonald's body, wanking over the result, and then getting on with something else.

There's an annoying fly I need to deal with, hang on

DeGrise

Quote from: Scrapey Fish on August 26, 2019, 09:46:11 PM

But he's not a political comedian. How many political jokes has he done in the last fifteen years other than "I don't care what Obama says, hope is no good." and the story of Donald Trump saying he'd give him a photo and then legging it?

In fact, those aren't political either. So I have nothing.

Replies From View

But really when I was asking if right-wing people can be funny I wasn't necessarily talking about political comedy, more their sense of humour generally.

Without overt political references, the humour of most right-wing people I've encountered over the years (colleagues mostly) seems to boil down to:

- punching down

- just being a bit thick in observations and comments

easytarget

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on August 27, 2019, 12:00:49 PM
PJ O'Rourke. Not a stand-up but a very funny writer.
he's very weak on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me.

And that's compared to the other saps that appear on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on August 27, 2019, 12:00:49 PM
PJ O'Rourke. Not a stand-up but a very funny writer.
Used to be, maybe. I read a lot of his stuff in my 20s, tried to pick a new-ish one up the other day and it was just miserable. Boring old man who wants to keep more of his money and fuck everyone else.

Mike Nelson, former "Mystery Science Theater 3000" head writer, then star, is a self-described National Review-reading conservative, but managed to be funny for many years.

Scrapey Fish

Quote from: Replies From View on August 27, 2019, 09:05:43 AM
I've never experienced Norm Macdonald beyond having a picture of Mac McDonald (captain of Red Dwarf) in my mind, realising it's not him, mentally putting Norman Lovett's face onto Mac McDonald's body, wanking over the result, and then getting on with something else.

There's an annoying fly I need to deal with, hang on

Norm Macdonald is funnier than Mac Macdonald but i did laugh when the latter was spraying the air freshener on his way out of the toilet

Replies From View

Quote from: Scrapey Fish on August 28, 2019, 12:26:41 PM
Norm Macdonald is funnier than Mac Macdonald but i did laugh when the latter was spraying the air freshener on his way out of the toilet

Well that was a very shit moment in Red Dwarf.  I therefore cannot trust your judgement on Norm Macdonald either; sorry.

Funniest Mac Macdonald moment is on the series 8 commentary when he says that during the making of series 1 and 2 the production crew would go around asking the cast whether they had any orange peel in their pockets to add some colour to the sets.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Replies From View on August 27, 2019, 11:33:31 AM
But really when I was asking if right-wing people can be funny I wasn't necessarily talking about political comedy, more their sense of humour generally.

Well that would be the aforementioned Norm Macdonald. His stand-up is rarely political, he's just a naturally funny man who sculpts great jokes and routines about, I dunno, this and that. He doesn't punch down or up, he's an absurdist who sometimes detours into ironic, metatextual anti-comedy (he despises those terms, but they're accurate whether he likes it or not).

You might like him.

sutin

Latest guests are two guys from Emmerdale Farm? The days when Rich had guests like Stephen Fry and Steve Coogan are getting harder to discern in the rear view mirror.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: sutin on September 11, 2019, 12:21:06 PM
Latest guests are two guys from Emmerdale Farm? The days when Rich had guests like Stephen Fry and Steve Coogan are getting harder to discern in the rear view mirror.

I listened to this one and the audience seem to find the whole thing especially amusing, particularly at the start, more so than any usual Herring audience reaction.

Not sure if the hysteria is down to the 'incident' that Herring alludes to or they are so starved of decent comedy in Yorkshire that they find Herring's schtick more rib tickling than the sophisticated metropolitan audiences in that there London.

olliebean

Oh, is that who they are? "Celebrities" these days seem to comprise about 25% soap actors, 25% sports people, 35% reality TV people, 10% YouTubers, and 10% people I've actually heard of. (I know that adds up to 105% - I'm not entirely ignorant of people in the first four categories.)

McFlymo

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on September 11, 2019, 01:23:34 PM
I listened to this one and the audience seem to find the whole thing especially amusing, particularly at the start, more so than any usual Herring audience reaction.

Not sure if the hysteria is down to the 'incident' that Herring alludes to or they are so starved of decent comedy in Yorkshire that they find Herring's schtick more rib tickling than the sophisticated metropolitan audiences in that there London.

I was a bit baffled by this too. Why were they laughing and cheering so much? Definitely top of the list for most enthusiastic audience from any RHLSTP (RHLSTP).

I couldn't squeeze out a tiny wee poo about Emmerdale, but those two guys seemed nice enough.
I'm very curious and definitely not gonna wank about that Attack of the Adult Babies film. How odd.

Noddy Tomkey

I think this episode was recorded straight after the Ricky Wilson one, which is why the audience are so responsive.

There are a few clues in the interview as to what must have happened.

Wet Blanket

I think this is the inevitable consequence of his taking RHLSTP on tour - there are fewer big name slebs in the sticks than there are in that London. Christ knows who he's gonna pull out the bag for the Hull date

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Wet Blanket on September 13, 2019, 10:53:26 AM
I think this is the inevitable consequence of his taking RHLSTP on tour - there are fewer big name slebs in the sticks than there are in that London. Christ knows who he's gonna pull out the bag for the Hull date

He might try booking the pop duo Everything But The Girl? I am sure he could get a good few minutes out of the wacky 80s hairstyles and a few more on the uncanny resemblance to Fist of Fun era Stew Lee?

To be fair there are a number of top names that originate from Hull, though most have passed away. (Which might be preferable to living in Hull)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturenews/10461925/Hull-the-cultural-icons-you-never-knew-were-from-there.html 

sutin

I did actually enjoy the episode but... it's two guys from Emmerdale Farm.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: sutin on September 13, 2019, 05:34:29 PM
I did actually enjoy the episode but... it's two guys from Emmerdale Farm.

They dropped the Farm bit from the title long ago... stop getting Emmerdale wrong!

DrGreggles

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on September 13, 2019, 05:52:20 PM
They dropped the Farm bit from the title long ago

Doesn't take as long to read, so they can pack a lot more story in.

Pranet

Quote from: Wet Blanket on September 13, 2019, 10:53:26 AM

On his blog the other day he was expressing concern about finding a guest for Exeter.

Replies From View

Cheesewogg

Herring and Adam Buxton are probably going to end up interviewing my Gran, at the rate of quality dive of guests is proving.

The "new" standups seem to be Joey Essex clone "got a big maff, inn I?!?!" types, Trustafarian types posher than Disney Star Wars female leads and Americans doing the apologetically-toned "alien in London" schtick. All of which is about as funny as lowering one's genitals into a boiling chip pan.