Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:31:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vainsharpdad

Tony Slattery, Fern Brady, Jenny Eclair, Simon Evans and Rachel Parris (just married Marcus Brigstocke, I believe), Caroline Quentin, Ed Gamble, Michael Sheen (and another unannounced film star) should all be good, I reckon.

DrGreggles

No guests announced for Cambridge yet.
Might go along as long as I don't despise either of the guests.

UltimoLJ

Russell Howard not fancying playing too much in this new one. Herring not wildly on form, but Howard definitely observing at points rather than diving in to save bits. Not malicious, but interesting dynamic to take.

dunelm

Just listened to the Stephen Merchant ep from the back catalogue. Herring comes across as a bit of a dick 'series 2 of extras wasn't good and you should have written it like this'.

Merchant is much more accomplished in sitcom credentials than Herring (Time Gentleman Please) not really his place to be making those kinds of comments.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: dunelm on October 04, 2019, 09:56:02 AM
Just listened to the Stephen Merchant ep from the back catalogue. Herring comes across as a bit of a dick 'series 2 of extras wasn't good and you should have written it like this'.

Merchant is much more accomplished in sitcom credentials than Herring (Time Gentleman Please) not really his place to be making those kinds of comments.

Herring always says his stage persona is indeed 'a bit of a dick' and allows him to push things he wouldn't do or say in reality. He always describes  this interview as being especially cringeworthy on account of pushing the line a bit too far.

In defence of Rich I have met him, it was on the tube when he lived in Shepherds Bush. He was a thoroughly nice chap and we chatted for around five mins between stops. He didn't even mind breaking the commuter code and talking on the train, though I forgot to ask about the Merchant interview. Has he mentioned it on any other RHLSTP by any chance?   

magval

Almost certain that he has, yes. Couldn't say which, though.

Any story behind the Russell Howard one getting deleted and re-upped?

Replies From View

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on October 04, 2019, 12:37:36 PM
Herring always says his stage persona is indeed 'a bit of a dick' and allows him to push things he wouldn't do or say in reality.

"Stage persona".  It's simply him being himself, doing an interview.  The "I am just being a character, ahhh" is such a shit get-out clause for being a dick, tired, drunk, grumpy or whatever.  I used to use it myself, believing there was a meaningful difference to explore between this irony and what I truly believed, and I grew out of doing it in my late 20s because it's not an interesting or funny thing to do.  It just alienates people.

More and more I wish people would just take full responsibility for the words that come out of their own mouths.

McFlymo

Russell Howard...... Nnnnnnnyyyyyeeeaaaahhhh... I liked when Herring made a big thing out of slagging off the newspaper chairs.

Jittlebags

Started on these a few weeks ago. Only one I skipped was Russel Howard, mainly cos he came across as being a twat on Taskmaster. Mary Beard and her marrow cunt was surprisingly good. Probably straddling Pan now..

I always feel sorry for Russell Howard because he's so clearly aware how many people think he's shit and touchy about it and feeling like he doesn't belong with the other comedians.

He is shit though

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Jimmy Cricket comes across as a nice, likeable chap during his episode. I was worried that it might be a bit embarrassing, but Cricket is utterly at ease throughout. 

DrGreggles

The 'old pros' usually are. They'll have known a tough crowd more than most, so sitting and chatting on stage for an hour will be a piece of piss. Even with Richard Herring!

Well exactly, they've got a vast wealth of jokes and stories to share with an audience.

I was just slightly worried that Cricket, a nice, harmless old pro who "doesn't do blue", would be embarrassed by Herring's cheeky interview style, but it's actually a really nice chat.

Herring genuinely likes Cricket's comedy, he's respectful without being obsequious, the audience are on-side throughout, and it sounds like Cricket enjoyed the experience. A pleasant surprise.

easytarget

Yep. The Cricket and Les Dennis ones were shockingly good.
Would love to hear some other 80s mainstream performers on this podcast : Bobby Ball, Russ Abbot, Hale/Pace, Sid Little (not Eddie Large, fucking hell).

Eddie Large would be a good guest, I reckon.

But yeah, more old pros please, Rich.

easytarget

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 05, 2019, 02:29:00 AM
Eddie Large would be a good guest, I reckon.
I hated the Brian Blessed one, and I'm preemptively hating this one (that I have imagined) for the same reasons.

Davidson would be interesting but irresponsible to give him the oxygen of publicity* (or the oxygen of oxygen - the racist, women beating, unfunny, illiterate bastard). 

* Not that RHLSTP is publicity, just wanted to do the oxygen joke**
** Heartfelt actual opinion.

Tony Tony Tony

Michael Barrymore?

I would happily pay to see that one if only to catch the bits that would inevitably be edited out

Tony Tony Tony

The Jimmy Cricket one was a real delight. His tale about flogging his self financed DVD made me think he also does a Herring and pops up after his shows at the merch table to press the flesh and pose for pics.

I am never sure if this is laudable or sad in a way. I say the latter as I once saw Don Estelle pushing his wares (a fiver for a cassette tape) from a rickety table in Watford's Harlequin shopping centre. This was a Man who had a number one single and a part in a comedy show with an audience in the millions.

dunelm

I think it's fine to sell comedy merch at a comedy event. Don Estelle flogging cassettes at various branches of Woolworths was in a different league of tragic.     

I'd like to see Mick Miller on this. Proper old school act that still works.

DrGreggles

Mick Miller and Jimmy Cricket were both on an episode of the Peacock & Gamble Edinburgh podcast and they both came across well on that.
Not sure if it's still available online, but I'll have a copy somewhere.

sutin

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on October 05, 2019, 08:38:45 AM
Michael Barrymore?

I would happily pay to see that one if only to catch the bits that would inevitably be edited out

Funny you should say Barrymore. I went to RHLSTP in Bristol a few weeks ago and the guest Jayde Adams talked about how lovely a man he is and Rich said he should get him on the podcast.

Tony Yeboah

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on October 05, 2019, 08:38:45 AM
Michael Barrymore?

Richard Herring's Lubbock (Stuart) Tragedy Podcast

Pranet

He keeps getting people to fund the filming of these. Average donation currently £34.60. My friend bunged him some money this time... he is broke and has kids, I was sort of annoyed when I saw he done that. He must have pledged £25 at least because he said he wanted the cards.

Bennett Brauer

Jimmy Cricket = Tim Vine 30 years from now. Looks and mannerisms.

Schnapple

Had pretty much given up on this, but Michael Sheen's episode is really enjoyable. Sheen is really pleased to be there and Herring is on good form in accordance.

He's a really nice chap, innee? Surprisingly down to earth and very funny.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on October 16, 2019, 07:59:17 PM
He's a really nice chap, innee? Surprisingly down to earth and very funny.

Major league pussy-crusher to boot.