Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:14:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

bgmnts

Quote from: Pseudopath on October 16, 2019, 08:11:48 PM
Major league pussy-crusher to boot.

Once you have portrayed Brian Clough on the silver screen, that is inevitable.

Ferris

Thought this was Charlie Sheen when I saw it in my podcast queue. That would be an interesting one.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Mobbd

Quote from: Schnapple on October 16, 2019, 01:09:27 PM
Had pretty much given up on this, but Michael Sheen's episode is really enjoyable. Sheen is really pleased to be there and Herring is on good form in accordance.

Sheen's one was brilliant. Easily in my Top 5, usurping even The Mighty Fry or one of the other classics. It's an hour and twenty minutes, but felt so short. Just great.

It's chemistry, innit? The guest needs to get along with Rich. (Some of the younger acts don't understand this and go in for a misjudged standoffishness. Suzi Ruffell was notably bad.)

bgmnts

Yeah Michael Sheen just seems like a lovely relaxed bloke, but its really hard for a welsh person to hate another welsh person - Ape Not Kill Ape etc. The idea he has been in proper films and Hollywood and all that and is now back in Port Talbot doing Celebrity Chase and Celebrity Pointless is brilliant.

easytarget

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: bgmnts on October 17, 2019, 05:24:33 PM
Yeah Michael Sheen just seems like a lovely relaxed bloke, but its really hard for a welsh person to hate another welsh person - Ape Not Kill Ape etc. The idea he has been in proper films and Hollywood and all that and is now back in Port Talbot doing Celebrity Chase and Celebrity Pointless is brilliant.

And there was his Valleys Rebellion documentary which started with him doing a piece to camera in Newport without stepping in anything nasty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWwlJAH88Kg

McFlymo

That Michael Sheen one restored my faith in RHLSTP! More of this sort of thing!

bgmnts

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on October 17, 2019, 07:36:40 PM
And there was his Valleys Rebellion documentary which started with him doing a piece to camera in Newport without stepping in anything nasty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWwlJAH88Kg

That is a very impressive feat to be fair, it has one of the grimmest 'high streets' ever.

Bad Ambassador

Not enough talk about TRON Legacy, but otherwise very good fun.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

An exquisitely bonkers piece of television. What a cast!

bgmnts

I get the feeling Michael Sheen actually does spend half his time watching these shit game shows with a cuppa.

That is lovely to be fair.

koeman

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Mobbd on October 17, 2019, 10:57:11 AM
It's chemistry, innit? The guest needs to get along with Rich. (Some of the younger acts don't understand this and go in for a misjudged standoffishness. Suzi Ruffell was notably bad.)

Definitely something to be said for that. The standoffishness can work if it's someone on Rich's level or someone he's already mates with but being friendly and receptive is a good way to get the conversation moving. Michael Sheen was just great, came across as a very funny, interesting guy and proved himself in the final Chase to justify taking the lower offer. A rare breed.

Dusty Substance

Yeah, really enjoyed the Michael Sheen one. One of few RHLSTPs I've bothered with in the last 18 months or so. Would love to know what sort of "Don't Go There" disclaimer is discussed prior to an interview - Herring was probably itching to ask him about Silverman.

Sheen was also great when he appeared on Jeff Garlin's short-lived podcast which can be found on Stitcher Premium. He did a great bit about an idea for a Columbo remake.

EDIT: Christ, this Ed Gamble one is dull.

dunelm

Herring's ongoing self entitled 'why don't I have my own TV show' moan is really quite tedious. I don't for a second think he's being ironic.

He's had some great guests over the years but I think it's largely run its course now, mostly run out of decent guests with the odd gem now and again.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Dusty Substance on October 25, 2019, 02:19:45 AM
Yeah, really enjoyed the Michael Sheen one. One of few RHLSTPs I've bothered with in the last 18 months or so. Would love to know what sort of "Don't Go There" disclaimer is discussed prior to an interview - Herring was probably itching to ask him about Silverman.

Sheen was also great when he appeared on Jeff Garlin's short-lived podcast which can be found on Stitcher Premium. He did a great bit about an idea for a Columbo remake.

EDIT: Christ, this Ed Gamble one is dull.
If you have to ask about an ex it'd have to be about Beckinsale.

sutin

Quote from: dunelm on October 25, 2019, 10:03:49 AMHe's had some great guests over the years but I think it's largely run its course now, mostly run out of decent guests with the odd gem now and again.

It definitely feels like it's run it's course but can anyone honestly see him stopping now? He still does that bloody snooker podcast.

Quote from: sutin on October 25, 2019, 12:24:53 PM
It definitely feels like it's run it's course but can anyone honestly see him stopping now? He still does that bloody snooker podcast.

And the stone-clearing. Wonder what the download numbers are like on that?

Pink Gregory

Has Rich said anything about really putting stand up on the shelf?  Haven't been following RHLSTP for about a year but it seems like it's very much his main event now. 

dunelm

Quote from: sutin on October 25, 2019, 12:24:53 PM

I think he needs the money generated from it, somebody on here said he was skint.

lankyguy95

I've enjoyed more episodes of RHLSTP in the last year than I had in the previous few years to be honest. Largely it's down to the guests but Michael Sheen, Jimmy Cricket, Nicholas Parsons, Adrian Chiles, Les Dennis, Greg Davies, Tim Vine (if that counts) were all really good episodes. I'm more picky about which ones I listen to now but some of those are up there in the best RHLSTPs I'd say.

dunelm

The episodes you mention have been the best of the bunch and it's interesting it tends to be the older, more experienced hands rather than the 20 something spikey stand ups. I think Herring is better skewing older.

MigraineBoy

The calibre of guests when RHLSTP is Leicester Square Theater and not Locally Sourced Tosspots suggests he shouldn't really take it on tour.  Or at the very least plan the away date around a decent guest, instead of frantically trying to book someone days beforehand.

SteveDave