Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:54:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 20, 2019, 07:13:53 PM
He was. It's always disappointing when a guest turns up pissed on this show, it creates a weird, awkward atmosphere.

As I say, Vic isn't very comfortable with this sort of thing at the best of times, but the booze really didn't help here. He was rambly, sluggish and struggled to keep up with the sober Herring (who tried the best he could, but we all know what it's like when you're trying to keep a pissed person on track).

Had to turn it off after 30 minutes as it's quite cheerless to see Vic like that. I hope he's alright. It's one thing to have a couple of pints of Dutch Courage before a show but he was all over the place.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Dusty Substance on November 20, 2019, 08:46:39 PM
Had to turn it off after 30 minutes as it's quite cheerless to see Vic like that. I hope he's alright. It's one thing to have a couple of pints of Dutch Courage before a show but he was all over the place.

I hope he's alright too. My initial post in response to this interview was based on the first ten minutes, during which he came across as his usual slightly diffident self. Vic was sober during his first RHTLSP appearance, so I was basing my thoughts on that. But it soon became clear that, on this occasion, he was utterly pissed.

There's no fun to be gleaned from watching a comic genius, a man who's brought such joy to the world, making a boring, drunken spectacle of himself.

That was a depressing listen, with the odd moment of enjoyable silliness thrown in (I don't know what the Courtenay Love bit made me laugh so much, possibly it being an oasis in a desert of bleakness).  I'm hoping it was simply the case of a nervous man having one or two too many, and not something far darker.

Twit 2

I genuinely couldn't watch it. It was so uncomfortable I lasted about 5 minutes.

Tony Yeboah

He was just a bit drunk. It would have been better if he wasn't drunk, but I wouldn't read too much into it.

Still not nearly as depressing as when Herring got sponsored by Beer52 and was just getting half-cut every episode for a while. Not even entertainingly drunk, just middle-aged tired drunk with a red face and loose eyes.

dunelm

Wasn't great to see Vic like this, he wasn't completely plastered but was clearly on the way. Fucks his timing. A shame.

PaulTMA

Only listened and yes he was pissed, reminded me of his hilarious altercation with Sharon Osbourne at the Brits in 2008.  I actually really enjoyed it despite this being a bit concerning, especially the information offered about Shakin' Stevens' brother.

sutin

He seemed fine to me, maybe a bit tipsy and therefore not as sharp as he could have been, but still funny. I thoroughly enjoyed the episode.

Tony Tony Tony

Yep, deffo a couple of sheets to the wind, didn't pick up on it much on the audio version but more obvious on the video.

Lets forgive Vic this one, it wasn't anywhere near George Best on Wogan or Oliver Reid on Aspel. I would guess Vic knocked back a couple of shandies whilst listening to the Shaun Williamson record.

Still it goes to prove the old adage that drinking before a gig doesn't improve performance. Cant think of many comics who are funnier in drink... the only exception being Tony Law? 

Pink Gregory

Weren't people suggesting that he was pissed on his last appearance as well?  Didn't think so myself.

mojo filters

I haven't seen/heard this yet (thank Adam Schiff and the dems for yesterday's long + taxing political marathon, continuing this morning.)

However I'm reminded of when Herring pointed out Stewart Lee coming on stage carrying three beers. I just thought "yeah, seems like an appropriate active measure."

Less keen drinkers may disagree. But I'm pretty sure that was the episode where Herring edited out most of Stew's anti-Avalon diatribe. I'm no expert in the business of comedy, but yer know...

If that wasn't sufficient justification, surely the prospect of emergency questions is?

sutin

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on November 21, 2019, 01:10:22 PM
Yep, deffo a couple of sheets to the wind, didn't pick up on it much on the audio version but more obvious on the video.
Ah, I see. I genuinely forgot that Herring films these (never saw the appeal in watching a hour+ interview when you can listen to it when out and about), i'll check it out.

Brian Freeze

How much do you reckon he gets paid for those Lloyds bank ads?

I bet it's significantly less than LLoyds paid Noel Edmonds, and every time I heard him advertising Lloyds on the radio he did a really bad job of selling them.

mojo filters

Quote from: TheBrownBottle on November 22, 2019, 01:35:55 AM
I bet it's significantly less than LLoyds paid Noel Edmonds, and every time I heard him advertising Lloyds on the radio he did a really bad job of selling them.

Whilst I have no innate desire to defend Edmonds, the government had a far harder job selling off their last stake in Lloyds in 2017 - after spending over £20 billion in 2008, to prop up the HBOS financial debacle.

Admittedly in pursuit of this, I'm not aware of any politicians or civil servants brandishing automatic weapons, nor shooting indiscriminately at celebrity dinner party guests.

No fucking birds either, to the best of my knowledge...

According to an interview with Bob from a few years back (think it might have been on Chain Reaction), he and Vic have never performed together entirely sober in their career.

bgmnts

Bloody hell he is pissed isn't he? Full on slurring.

Listening to hammered cunts slur when they talk is just depressing.

vainsharpdad

I love Rich - I'm a badger - but there's just far too much RHLSTP out there. (I actually had tickets to go and see it being recorded in Newcastle *and I forgot* which says a lot.)

There are a lot of good podcasts out there these days, and the backlog of RHLSTPs I can be arsed to listen to in the car are piling up.

McFlymo

I was worried Vic had maybe recently had a stroke and that, combined with Bob's triple heart bypass, was quite depressing.

Pranet

Quote from: vainsharpdad on November 30, 2019, 06:45:42 PM
I love Rich - I'm a badger - but there's just far too much RHLSTP out there. (I actually had tickets to go and see it being recorded in Newcastle *and I forgot* which says a lot.)

There are a lot of good podcasts out there these days, and the backlog of RHLSTPs I can be arsed to listen to in the car are piling up.

I agree. I don't like him as much as you do- but I used to listen to pretty much all of these but it appears I have given up. Never made a decision about it, just realised that it has been a while since I could be bothered.

There is something to do said for leaving them wanting more. Annoying as it is when for example Adam Buxton goes on hiatus I think those breaks do help keep it fresh for the listener. There are lots of podcasts I have given up on over the years, not because they got worse but eventually I suppose I just decided that I had heard enough of that particular thing. And, as is occasionally pointed out in this thread, RH can be annoying.

SteveDave

Quote from: Pranet on December 01, 2019, 06:51:00 PM
There are lots of podcasts I have given up on over the years, not because they got worse but eventually I suppose I just decided that I had heard enough of that particular thing.

This is me and "Films To Be Buried With" There are so many with people I've never heard of/have no interest in that I've unsubscribed. I did hear the one with Cornballs though which was quite nice.

The Roofdog

This used to be in my top 2-3 podcasts: has it changed or have I?

Quote from: The Roofdog on December 02, 2019, 01:56:10 PM

I'm in the same position and reckon it's probably the latter. Quality of guests is all over the shop and Rich is definitely running out of steam. An attitude that appeared casual and flippant when he started now looks like he can't be arsed and would rather have a nap.

Dusty Substance

Probably a bit of both. RHLSTP's been going for seven years (or over eight if you factor in his Edinburgh Fringe podcast) so hopefully one would change in that time.

It was once an enjoyable podcast and I'd look forward to new episodes appearing. This was way back before the podcast world became overly saturated. There's only so long something like this can remain interesting if the format doesn't change. It must have been around 2017 that I first started to go off RHLSTP. Even though he's had decent guests since, it perhaps should have ended with Andrew Collins as the final interviewee.

It's one thing to do the "...probably best known for their role in.... [insert forgotten TV show where they had a tiny bit part]..." when it's someone properly famous like Mackenzie Crook or Kathy Burke but looking at the line-up for the new season, the joke's not going to work for someone such as Seymour Mace or Olga Koch.

I kind of admire him for having found something that works for him but the show would be better and more appealing if he only interviewed the bigger names or at least more people who have had long and varied careers (the Nicholas Parsons one was a joy).

DrGreggles

I think I used to listen to every single one of these.
Just checked my pods and the last one I heard was in May.
Further investigation suggests that I've listened to 4 of the last 100.
I'm just bored of the them.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Pranet on December 01, 2019, 06:51:00 PM
I suppose I just decided that I had heard enough of that particular thing.

Sums it up pretty well. Couching it as growth or it being bad now is not always correct. I only got a half an hour into the Moir one and didn't listen on. But we'll always have Julian Clary.

sutin

It's definitely you (or rather, us). RHLSTP has barely evolved since the earliest episodes. Many of the same tropes have been wheeled out on every episode for 6-7 years. I fear it'll be like The Simpsons and we'll still be saying stuff like this in a decade's time.

grayson perry can do one

these aren't even fun to listen to and think about how and why they're bad any more