Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:10:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: MigraineBoy on January 06, 2020, 08:49:42 PM
Bit of a buzz from his twitter - it looks like he's sold out one night of the 2020 run after only announcing the guest this afternoon to his badge subscribers.

Wonder who she is.

Rich has not long since tweeted that it will be Michael Palin

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 12, 2020, 10:19:17 AM
The latest episode, with Nick Frost, is one for the ages. It's very sad and powerful, as he talks candidly about all the terrible shit he's endured throughout his life so far. Rich is on good form too, he asks questions and listens. It's an atypical RHLSTP episode, and all the better for it.

I was slightly worried for Frost after watching that, I don't think he's truly happy now - I hope I'm wrong.

lankyguy95

I enjoyed that. The first episode with Frost is one of the funniest RHLSTPs and this was a good, if slightly bleak, contrast.

I might go and listen to the first one again now.

The Bumlord

He does seem very unhappy and he's very clearly not taking care of himself.

Twit 2

Quote from: Utterdrivel on January 13, 2020, 11:36:12 PM

And how did Nick Frost seem?

bgmnts

Just listening to it and Nick Frost just seemed like a man reminiscing about awful things that happened in his past. Which is enough to make even the most unbearably upbeat person a bit sombre.

ASFTSN

Is it the acast jingle that plays between the advert and RH's preamble on these? That plinky-plonky tune that lasts about 2 seconds. I've heard it on other podcasts. It gives me the fear, because you can hear someone sort of groaning in the background of it when you listen to it on headphones. It's like a Glenn Gould style murmuring. Am I going mental or does anyone else hear it?

Gurke and Hare

If anyone's interested, The Works are knocking out Emergency Questions books for £3.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Yeah I was waiting for it to drop a little more before panic buying two dozen copies for brexit

Non Stop Dancer

If you enjoyed the Nick Frost ones, I'd highly recommend his autobiography.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Utterdrivel on January 13, 2020, 11:36:12 PM

Good God.

I listened to the first twenty minutes of the podcast whilst making dinner then sat down to watch the interview and was genuinely shocked to see how fat Nick Frost has become - Especially for someone who hasn't drank alcohol for two and a half years. Really hope he's O.K.

bgmnts

Fuuuuucking hell you're right, he is a heffer now. Was always a chunk but within the bounds of normal. Looks like a waffer thin mint would explode him now.

If he has abstained from drinking he must be hitting the food hard.

Autopsy Turvey

I'd say he looks like he's been enjoying himself, only I gather he hasn't.

Bennett Brauer

The story about everyone in that strip club being told to fuck off out so that Tintin Quarantino can indulge his fetishes in private... ugh.

easytarget

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on January 16, 2020, 02:08:07 AM
The story about everyone in that strip club being told to fuck off out so that Tintin Quarantino can indulge his fetishes in private... ugh.
semi-private.
also - this completely tracks, the foot worshiping maniac (see Pulp Fiction, Once Upon A Time..., Ducks til Dawn etc.)
Didn't think our friend Nick Frost sounded that bad, his autobiography is a bit serious and moody and he's had a pretty rough start - when you factor that in (and consider that he isn't actually Mike from Spaced) he's holding it together.

Shaky

Frost came across well, I thought. A refreshing lack of Pegg-esque Hollywood bullshit. He genuinely comes across as a normal guy who happened to stumble into fame and now wants to get some earlier shit off his chest. He made plenty of very funny remarks which easily balanced the darker anecdotes. I've heard much more unsettling interviews with celebs.

Bennett Brauer

I think Nick's fine, but why's he's wearing Kramer's trainers from 'The Jimmy'?

beanheadmcginty

Two people I haven't heard of with awful fake laughs in a row. Richard should try and spread them out a bit.

Wanted to watch the John Kearns one but I accidentally saw the first three seconds of the video in which Richard says 'good day, my homies' so I had to close the tab and then close my browser just to make sure it was gone

easytarget

Just heard the Grayson Perry one. His voice reminded me of the cornish-faced playwright Patrick Marber. It was hard to warm to him.

bgmnts

Listening to a lot of older ones and I have come to utterly despise Herring. Really badly. What a waste of a platform and some fantastic guests.

His humour and questions are sub-HS Art. Hate the cunt.

Sorry, I hate the cunt UHHHHHHH

typeforty

He should invite Graham Linehan back on. I'm sure he'd get to the bottom of all this.

EOLAN

If you liked 'Christ on a Bike' and are getting a bit worn down by RHLSTP, the recent one in Exeter with atheist Biblical scholar Francesca Stavrakopoulou may be for you. Basically; just Rich indulging himself in asking about all little bits of the Bible he found a bit funny and getting some reasonably interesting insights. I enjoyed it anyway.

I'm definitely getting Herring fatigue again. The latest Mike Wozniak one is perfectly fine and Wozniak comes across as a decent likeable chap but the whole dynamic feels so tired I couldn't carry on listening.

I wonder what it would take for Herring to knock these on the head, even for a year. The sheer quantity of episodes and the level of guests he gets on is undeniably impressive, but bloody hell he needs to stop churning them out or vary the format a bit.

Puce Moment

Quote from: typeforty on January 24, 2020, 02:47:10 PMHe should invite Graham Linehan back on. I'm sure he'd get to the bottom of all this.

In all seriousnness, it would be fascinating for Herring to stick his neck out and get the crazed homunculus back on his podcast to talk about cocks and fannies for an hour. I know he shouldn't have a platform, but the thought of Herring interrupting him mid-rant to ask an emergency question about soup or ghosts would be a great way to undermine his loony bullshite.

Cold Meat Platter

"If a trans woman died and came back as a ghost, would their ghost be male or female?"

Tony Tony Tony

Listened to today's episode with Dave Johns. Ranks highly in the list of favourites,  Johns came across as a down to earth type who hasn't let success go to his head. He had a number of anecdotes about mixing with A-List celebs, as a result of starring in I Daniel Blake, that were the very antithesis of your average showbiz luvvie story. I particularly enjoyed his tale about meeting Steven Spielberg and being in a toilet cubicle next to Woody Allen.

His idea of opening a donkey riding business with the animals wearing tiny hats bearing the names of comics he has worked with sounds like a winner.

Most enjoyable.