Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:59:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobbd

Quote from: EOLAN on January 24, 2020, 03:14:44 PM
If you liked 'Christ on a Bike' and are getting a bit worn down by RHLSTP, the recent one in Exeter with atheist Biblical scholar Francesca Stavrakopoulou may be for you. Basically; just Rich indulging himself in asking about all little bits of the Bible he found a bit funny and getting some reasonably interesting insights. I enjoyed it anyway.

Agreed, this was a good one.

Kearns' ep was a goodie too. So much so that I wish for a Collings-and-Herrin-type regular podthing with them. Won't happen though, obvs. Too easy and fun.

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on January 20, 2020, 08:20:31 PM
Wanted to watch the John Kearns one but I accidentally saw the first three seconds of the video in which Richard says 'good day, my homies' so I had to close the tab and then close my browser just to make sure it was gone

I do wish Herring would cease these webcam intros. I know he has to promote his live work and do some housekeeping etc., but there are other ways than shatting completely on the actual work. It's like if a nicely-produced book came in an extra, additional book jacket with shoddcobbled publisher announcements all over it.

Sebastian Cobb

The Seymour Mace one is out now. I've only listened to half so far but it's great.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on January 29, 2020, 08:55:02 PM
Listened to today's episode with Dave Johns. Ranks highly in the list of favourites,  Johns came across as a down to earth type who hasn't let success go to his head. He had a number of anecdotes about mixing with A-List celebs, as a result of starring in I Daniel Blake, that were the very antithesis of your average showbiz luvvie story. I particularly enjoyed his tale about meeting Steven Spielberg and being in a toilet cubicle next to Woody Allen.

His idea of opening a donkey riding business with the animals wearing tiny hats bearing the names of comics he has worked with sounds like a winner.

Most enjoyable.     

It's brilliant, I agree. What a lovely, funny fella.

Biggest laugh for me was...

Spoiler alert
An enthusiastic Mark Rylance telling Ken Loach that he and Daniel Day-Lewis once watched all of Loach's films back to back. Loach's dry response: "Did you not want to kill yourselves?"
[close]

Lost Oliver

When's the Limmy episode gonna be out? Am sure he did one recently.

Pranet

If they are released in order in about 20 podcasts' time.

Ferris

The Miles Jupp one from 2015 is car crash stuff but compelling. Herring loses the audience early on and flounders desperately throughout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuvbo2Zh3Eg

Cardenio I

Latest one with Frank Cottrell Boyce is a very nice chat.

arpster

The Frank Cottrell Boyce episode is excellent...even a gargantuan cunt like Herring can't ruin it....

Tony Tony Tony

Agree that the Cottrell-Boyce one is great. He has a fund of top anecdotes. Personal faves were mostly about Tony Wilson who is probably best known/disliked in the North West of England (24 Hour Party People elsewhere). The story about the Queens Dresser was pretty good too.

I was a little surprised to gather (from an audience reaction or two) that there is still a fair font of animosity towards the Sun newspaper in the 'Pool. I suppose the wounds of Hillsborough are still deep. 

Herring seemed in good form, his gag about the Albert Dock making Scousers confront a shameful past was pretty good. I would guess he had a night away from home and wasn't tired. I won't spoil things by saying whether he busts out his " I had fight in Liverpool tale" or not.   

MigraineBoy

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on February 22, 2020, 09:25:15 AM

I was a little surprised to gather (from an audience reaction or two) that there is still a fair font of animosity towards the Sun newspaper in the 'Pool. I suppose the wounds of Hillsborough are still deep. 

In an essay penned by Chris Horrie, the author of Stick It Up Your Punter!, the seminal book on the story of The Sun, he estimates that Liverpool's boycott of paper has cost News International (in 1989 prices) approximately £15 million a month for the last 28 years. If you're going by those numbers – which I am – that would make Liverpool's boycott of The Sun one of the longest and most successful boycotts the UK has ever seen. A boycott that, beyond its David vs Goliath political consumer power, strengthened a city and aided its battle for truth and justice.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/nz8ez8/liverpool-vs-the-sun-how-the-city-rid-itself-of-the-uks-biggest-paper

Long may the boycott continue.  Herring is right 'you don't have to have it'.

Bobtoo

Has any research been done on the effect on the people of Liverpool after not reading The Sun for over 30 years? The Sun was very influential before the Internet took hold, and still is fairly influential, it would be interesting to study what happens when that influence is removed.

Natnar

The recent Kate Robbins interview was good. I'd forgotten how much stuff shes been involved in over the years. Her Barrymore story made me laugh.

Quote from: Natnar on February 23, 2020, 04:07:39 PM
The recent Kate Robbins interview was good. I'd forgotten how much stuff shes been involved in over the years. Her Barrymore story made me laugh.

Yeah, I enjoyed it.  Her response to Fergie (not the football manager or singer) re her impersonation was funny.  Herring had a decent dynamic with her which was knocked off-course by the 'emergency questions' schtick.

Twonty Gostelow

Can't help thinking it might be cheaper to work it out for yourself. See you there!

mojo filters

I like that the (absurdly high) cost is advertised as including a 20% discount - so in other words, that's the price then.

I suspect the most inspiring element of this event will be Herring awkwardly inserting inappropriate promotions for his similarly jarring dumb book of Emergency Questions.

Sebastian Cobb

What's herring's advice going to be? If you can't think of anything interesting to do by yourself consider getting someone else in or embracing something really boring ironically?

olliebean

Prediction: in the Q&A, at least one participant who thinks they're being really clever will ask Herring one of his own emergency questions.

PlanktonSideburns

step one

have prior very succsesful work with the bbc, and lots of mates from that time up for being guests

step 2

wank

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: olliebean on February 25, 2020, 09:30:10 PM
Prediction: in the Q&A, at least one participant who thinks they're being really clever will ask Herring one of his own emergency questions.

And then Richard will jokingly admonish him while laughing and beaming like a fucking cheshire cat.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on February 25, 2020, 09:14:02 PM
What's herring's advice going to be? If you can't think of anything interesting to do by yourself consider getting someone else in or embracing something really boring ironically?

Simply have Stephen Fry appear on your podcast!

easytarget

c

Quote from: easytarget on February 26, 2020, 05:40:09 AM
he's starting to look like a lion

I do get the feeling that Herring thinks he's very handsome, even with his santa belly

Crabwalk

That's exciting. I can imagine Joe giving any emergency questions a massive torpedo.

DrGreggles

Exactly! Cut out the middle (aged) man!

Adam and Joe will always be young. The creepy old bastards.

Tony Tony Tony

Just listened to the latest one which is Paul Sinha (again). Although it is not too long since he was on last it was a joy to hear him. I only hope that if I ever get diagnosed with a potentially debilitating illness I can be as cheerful in the face of it as the Shinaman/Sinnerman is. He did vent his spleen on the UK press, I have seen some articles of the type he was referring to and now largely am able leave them alone as they are ridiculous clickbait.

I last saw Sinha perform live some years ago way before his health issues and he was a delight. The podcast made me all the more determined to catch him when he is next in my catchment area.