Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:42:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

Just listened to the Palin one and it is everything one could have hoped for. Palin comes across as warm and funny as well as a genuinely nice human being, which for some reason which I don't recall irked John Cleese (though he could well have been kidding). I was especially taken with his tale of being/not being in You've Got Mail which demonstrates the almost criminal excesses of major film production.

Herring pushes the backstage extras quite heavily for this one (mentioning that Palin improvises an entirely new scene for Life of Brian) and not being a badger would like to know if any CaBbers have splashed out on same, essentially is it worth it?   

The Bumlord

Cleese loves Palin iirc, I'm sure he was either joking or having a pop at Palin's inability to say no to people.

Dusty Substance

Has anyone here met Palin? He's always come across as pleasant and engaging and appears to have earned his reputation as the nice Python.

Never heard anyone say a bad word against him until a couple of years when I had a drunken chat with an anonynous comedy writer who had worked with him and said he wasn't quite the nice man he appears to be. I asked if it had been a one-off incident but he said it was the duration of the time they worked together. Maybe it was just bad chemistry or whatever but I was certainly intrigued to hear this.

The Bumlord

I sat opposite him in a court corridor a few years back (while the Pythons were being sued by their ex-manager, or something like that).

I got embarrassed and concentrated on my Pret baguette while he made pom-pom-pom old man noises.

Earlier in the day I also held the door to the toilets open for a man who turned out to be Eric Idle. He smiled and said thanks so he's OK in my book.

DJ Bob Hoskins

I met him in 1995(?) at a book signing for his novel Hemingway's Chair and he was every bit as lovely as his reputation would suggest. I was at the height of my teenage Python obsession and brought along my copy of the Flying Circus scripts for him to sign. When my turn came I gushingly told him he was responsible for my favourite Python character (Luigi Vercotti). He was clearly trying to promote his foray into 'serious' writing at the time and rather graciously said "Well, this [novel] is very different from all that, but thank you'. Afterwards I noticed he'd signed the Python book "To DJ Bob Hoskins, from an ex-Vercotti, yours in parrots, Michael Palin". In retrospect I found it really sweet how he made sure to indulge the overexcited Python fans like myself despite the fact that he was there to promote his new book.

He also read a few extracts from the novel, and did all the characters' voices in his inimitable manner, which was a real treat.

bgmnts

Terry Jones said he was grumpy if he was hungry.

Which makes him even more relatable.

EOLAN

Palin was very rude and surly to my wife at a book signing. In a similar situation to DJ Bob Hoskins when she wanted her Python book signed.

Conversely; Stewart Lee was extremely pleasant and nice to me when I got a DVD of Fist of Fun signed. Really wanted some of the annoyance and sarkiness of the 'character of Stewart Lee'.

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on May 13, 2020, 08:50:36 AM
olliebean thanks for the six month re-sub

What does that mean? Is that a Twitch thing, or a sex thing?

Pranet

I seem to recall a story doing the rounds a few years ago about him throwing some student journalist out of his house.

Once on another forum someone was clearly implying he shagged around but no one bit.

He does come across as quite grumpy at times in his diary.

But come on no one is nice all the time. And he has had people saying he is great since 1970, that has to affect you a bit.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Pranet on May 13, 2020, 04:44:30 PM
But come on no one is nice all the time. And he has had people saying he is great since 1970, that has to affect you a bit.

I guess that's true. Not just people saying how great he is but people on a daily basis coming up and reciting Python sketches at him will probably take a toll.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: olliebean on May 13, 2020, 04:40:11 PM
What does that mean? Is that a Twitch thing, or a sex thing?

He's pretending you're a twitch person and he has just resubscribed to your channel for six months, earning you money. He has s 'thing' about twitch.

olliebean

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on May 13, 2020, 05:44:58 PM
He's pretending you're a twitch person and he has just resubscribed to your channel for six months, earning you money. He has s 'thing' about twitch.

So it's a sex thing, then?

Shaky

Palin was fantastic, I thought. He trotted out the old anecdotes with renewed enthusiasm and I don't think I've heard him riff like that for years if not decades. Lots and lots of lovely little asides to indicate he still has a really good comic mind. The Dennis Quaid stuff had me in stitches. Brilliant stuff.

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Dusty Substance on May 13, 2020, 12:39:02 PM
Has anyone here met Palin? He's always come across as pleasant and engaging and appears to have earned his reputation as the nice Python.

Met Palin at a lunchtime book signing in Leadenhall Market. I was buying two books, one for me and one for my boss (who could't be arsed queuing up). The boss had asked for his to be signed for his wife, named Margot. Palin checked the spelling and I responded "with a silent T, as in harlot" (pronouncing it harlow for added comic effect). He smiled and nearly laughed, though possibly because I was swelling his sales by two books as opposed to one. 

Pink Gregory

RH on Films to be Buried with this week.

No doubt telling the same anecdotes from RHLSTPs of 5 years ago, but who doesn't.

Twit 2

Loved Palin and RH did manage to rein himself in mostly, but still managed to talk over MP a few times. Sigh.

non capisco

Palin episode was so lovely it made me impulse buy that expensive Python blu-ray box set. Damn your adorability, Palin! There's a bloody recession on!