Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:55:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTC

Quote from: Utter Shit on July 17, 2017, 04:51:46 PM
Ahahaha yes, Foggy finds the body of a baby in a burned out car or something? It also includes that amazing story about someone jokingly calling Alan Sugar a "great big nana" because of some minor mistake he made, only to get the response "shut up, scum".

Actually I remember that tweet to Alan Sugar because I used to follow him on Twitter and that story always stuck out in that podcast. He was called a nipple and not a nana. Not sure where Linehan got that from.

JamesTC

Really enjoyed the Andrew Collins one. A nice ending for Collings and Herrin. I especially liked them basically doing Podcast 124 again with the Disney songs.

Mango Chimes

That was fucking weird.  Despite Replies' report from seeing it live of the awkwardness coming from Collins, I'd expected Herring to be culpable in some way due to pushing the old 'roles'.  But at least on the audio version, it seems all Collins taking a very odd tack, and Herring being pretty generous and politely trying to get the thing back into something more fun and pleasant.  I wonder if they had some sort of weird chat offstage before the gig or something.

Couldn't tell whether Andrew was genuinely fucked off and in a miserable mood, or if he was play acting a bit and mischievously trying to throw Rich off in a sort of tables-turned bit of performance art.  Either way, seemed Rich wasn't in on it.  All in all, a bit of a shame, because the glimpses of fun-era C&H in there were nice, whilst the awkwardness wasn't.

McFlymo

Collins came across really badly in this latest RHLSTP, for me. So many times he was on the defensive and tried to be cutting and snipey, and either he was getting his wires crossed or just coming across like some sort of drunken bitter arsehole. It felt like Herring was doing his best to keep it from going to this miserable, shitty place that Collins kept pulling it into.

It would've been less awkward if Collins was actually clear in his reasons for being angry and bitter, and maybe it's a complex topic for him and so it's hard for him to articulate it all, but he didn't come across well at all.

Towards the end they seemed to find a bit of balance, maybe... Which was good, I suppose. ...

There were 3 or 4 genuinely VERY cringey moments, which were quite fun!

DrGreggles

I think Collings was playing up the awkwardness to be honest but, once they found their flow (in the last 30-40 minutes), I really enjoyed it.

Paaaaul

Quote from: hedgehog90 on July 20, 2017, 09:47:55 AM
The frog tape thing slayed.
Wait until someone tells him about Duck Tape. It'll blow his mind.

PaulTMA

Well that was stranger than expected.  No evidence of Herring trying to stir up any kind of unrest whatsoever, or fall into the 'bully' role, if anything he looked a little taken aback by Collins' more needy/uptight moments and he definitely passed on several easy opportunities to completely rip the piss.  Collins got off remarkably lightly for his rubbish NME anecdote near the end.

An odd and passive-aggressive listen. There was definitely a moment where Collings' attitude turned but it was in response to such an innocuous question from Rich that I can't even recall what it was.

Oh and Collings played the "deliver a damning speech and leave pause for applause" card at least one too many times. Was a bit annoyed that the audience kept clapping him.

Pranet

Reminded me of how good they could be together in the old days, before things went wrong.

If they genuinely have not spoken to each other since the falling out then the strangeness of it at times was understandable.

Is there a word for something like nostalgia but for the recent past? In some ways the world of the original podcast seems impossibly distant.

hedgehog90

I like Collings. I only want good things for him... But he's pretty fucking weird isn't he?

Sin Agog

pigamus

Quote from: hedgehog90 on July 20, 2017, 06:39:04 PM
I like Collings. I only want good things for him... But he's pretty fucking weird isn't he?

He was never happy in those podcasts. He genuinely took all that 'I fucked your mum' stuff to heart, you could tell. I don't think he's a bad bloke but he comes over as having a massive inferiority complex.

Quote from: pigamus on July 20, 2017, 07:00:05 PM
He was never happy in those podcasts. He genuinely took all that 'I fucked your mum' stuff to heart, you could tell. I don't think he's a bad bloke but he comes over as having a massive inferiority complex.

Yes and sadly that behaviour is clearly a red rag to someone like Herring who likes to pry and needle other people's hang ups for comedic effect. I tried listening to the Collings and Herrin podcast but found Rich's relentless persona and the apparently genuine tension too awkward to be fun.

Sin Agog

May be a side-effect of not being a comedian but being thrust into a comedian's world.  At least if Louie's anything to go by, comedians interact with each other by tearing each other to shreds in myriad funny ways.  Do the same to a music journalist and they may not take it the same way.

EDIT: Just saw that he wrote much of Not Going Out.  Kinda makes him more successful than Herring that, doesn't it?

Sin Agog

Anyone seen that appearance by Herring on Carpool where he motormouths like no one's motormouthed before?  The contrasting energies between the Herring then and the Herring now makes me wonder if he did coke or something similar back then, as he was such a jittery, spiky ball of nerves back then. 

ETA: Here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB1saQTCzvg

Look at his face at the beginning- he didn't even bother to wipe it off.

pigamus

I have to say though, in Herring's defense, there was never any question of him bullying a low-status individual. If that's the way Collins sees it then that's all in his head. He takes the piss out of you, you take the piss back - what's so hard? And why do hundreds of podcasts with the fucker if you're genuinely uncomfortable with it? Like hedgehog90 says - weird.

c

Coming into this as someone familiar with the 'beef' but not the podcast itself, I was surprised how badly AC came off there. I guess he might've been thinking, 'I'm going to turn the tables! I'm going to be the bad guy! Now you'll see! I AM ANDREW COLLINS! I AM A HUMAN MAN!' And he just did it cack-handedly and (just as his terrible The Persuaders anecdote predicted) the laughter of the audience convinced him his table-turning plan was turning out to be a riotous success. But it wasn't.   

spamwangler

ive never heard any of the collings and herring podcast, i dont think ive ever heard them together in a room before.

should i listen to this poscast? what will it be like for someone whos not heard all this drama before?

thugler

Sounded like he was a bit drunk. I always sympathised with him on the podcasts, so I actually think he came off alright, and I enjoyed the podcast more than most of them.

Dr Rock

It seems Collins still has some big issues with Herring, and they may stem from insecurity, though from what we know Collins didn't like jokes Herring was making about his mum, and Herring ramped it up, so..

If Herring has issues with Collins he was smart enough to come off as reasonable and (mostly) non-confrontational, making Collins look like he had a chip on his shoulder, and was trying to prove something. The two have clearly not made peace since they fell out, what, several years ago. Shame I suppose.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on July 20, 2017, 03:11:29 PM
An odd and passive-aggressive listen. There was definitely a moment where Collings' attitude turned but it was in response to such an innocuous question from Rich that I can't even recall what it was.

Richard asking him if he'd ever been on Pointless.

Quote from: spamwangler on July 20, 2017, 10:22:59 PM
ive never heard any of the collings and herring podcast, i dont think ive ever heard them together in a room before.

should i listen to this poscast? what will it be like for someone whos not heard all this drama before?

I too have never heard them on a podcast together but watched this anyway, intrigued by the back story and awkwardness.

The audience were truly on Richard's side and by the end they seemed fed up with Collins. I'm sure at one point, could be during the Frog/Gorilla tape discussion, that somebody actually groaned when he started talking again. I don't know if that matched the tone of the podcast but Collins was desperate to settle old scores and argumentative to a point where he came across looking a bit silly and over sensitive.

Having said that, when he complained about Richard never ever showing interest in his life or asking how he was I can totally believe that.

Mobius

Quote from: spamwangler on July 20, 2017, 10:22:59 PM

I think it's still enjoyable. It was very much the early days of podcast, just Collings and Herrin sat in Herring's attic for an hour and 6 minutes, going through the paper and chatting. No editing or faffing about.

I am actually relistening to them now. There is something comforting about hearing them rustle through papers, talk about Shannon Matthews, Jon Gaunt, Madeline McCann... like going back in time. And you'll get to hear all the Richard Herring anecdotes you've heard a hundred times before on his hundred of podcasts and standup shows all over again!

It's fun to listen to and wonder when they're acting and when they're genuine. They did a lot of podcasts, and it shows, As their real life fortunes change, so does their podcast relationship.

It's not always laugh out loud funny, but it feels real, and if you found their recent interaction interesting I'd definitely recommend going back to see how they got to that state.

godber

Previously, I'd always taken Collins' side and figured Herring was being a dick. But listening to this makes it pretty clear they both dicks. Funny dicks though and when they got into full swing it was a great listen. Will they, won't they? I hope so but doubt it.

hard rocx and mettals

I'm (another) newcomer to all things Herring, having only seen one or two RHLSTPs - which even then were only due to the guest (Theroux; Cross) - so I never focused too much on him as host, and I really know almost nothing about the man. As for Andrew Collins, before last week I only knew of him as a smarmy face that appeared above the odd Radio Times article, or providing a bought memory on 100 Greatest List Shows. Just watched this most recent RHLSTP, though, and sorry but LITERALLY who even are these childish cunts?

As noted upthread, Collins just exudes jittery defensiveness. He seems to be one of those non-comedy minded people who both: a) thinks every question directed towards them is a veiled gag at his expense, and b) then takes it personally and acts even more guarded. When he tries to get a 'dig' in at Herring's expense (showing up how he never took an interest in his life) it just comes off as wounded and self-pitying, stilting the atmosphere even more than it already has. I also can't stand his weaselly, Gerry Anderson puppet face, but that's not really relevant.

As for Herring, this will have no doubt been mentioned constantly in the previous 100-page thread, but his infantile obsession with bumming and sex with mums is instantly wearisome. He has the sense of humour of a fourteen-year-old boy, and every time he drops one of his excruciating clangers of an Emergency Question on a guest I'm amazed that they don't just stare back at him in dumbfounded horror, embarrassed that a 50-year-old fellow comedian would have to resort to this zany, bottom-of-the-barrel shit. His childish idiosyncrasies do have a near-subtlety about them, cos (unless you've read this thread) they don't seem to make themselves apparent until you've watched a few of them. At first, you might think whichever episode you started with just caught him on an off day, but then the layers are pulled back with each further one to reveal he's just naturally that irritating and bereft of comedic quality. Knowing that he has an enviable position on one of the UK's foremost podcasts actually makes me angry.

It feels almost voyeuristic watching these people, knowing their innermost thoughts about each other (as conveyed through the blogposts) attempting to be played out onstage; watching Collins' blatant resentment and hostility poking out from under the surface, but never quite far enough to be outwardly addressed. I don't know how anyone in that room could deal with the awkwardness, which was also totally at odds with the hosts' socially-lubricated, plastered-on grins. Just uncomfortable from start to finish.

I'm usually one for hatewatching, but have had to decide against giving any C&H podcasts a go. Sometimes you just have to let it win, ya know?

big egg

Quote from: hard rocx and mettals on July 21, 2017, 02:05:18 PM
Knowing that he has an enviable position on one of the UK's foremost podcasts actually makes me angry.

Thing is though, he got there by himself didn't he? It's a pretty DIY effort, he books the guests himself. Like many here, I have a love/hate relationship with Herring - love that he puts out these free podcasts which are frequently very enjoyable (the lengthy lists of "best episodes" posted above are testament to that), hate his increasingly unfunny persona, all rubbish anecdotes repeated ad nauseum and a glaring inability to conduct an interview properly. Either way, his enviable position on one of the UK's foremost podcasts is fully earned.

If I had been reading this a year ago I would have said that no-one's stopping anyone else stepping up to the plate and doing it better. And lo and behold Adam Buxton has basically gone and done just that. Herring isn't depriving anyone of podcasting opportunities - if anything, he's leading by example and paving the way for better things.

Danger Man

QuoteAfter the success of the Emergency Questions book I have decided to do a Christmas-specific one for release in time for the Yuletide holidays

Fucking hell.

Twed

Quote from: big egg on July 21, 2017, 03:26:25 PM
Thing is though, he got there by himself didn't he? It's a pretty DIY effort, he books the guests himself. Like many here, I have a love/hate relationship with Herring - love that he puts out these free podcasts which are frequently very enjoyable (the lengthy lists of "best episodes" posted above are testament to that), hate his increasingly unfunny persona, all rubbish anecdotes repeated ad nauseum and a glaring inability to conduct an interview properly. Either way, his enviable position on one of the UK's foremost podcasts is fully earned.
I think it wouldn't have worked for him if it wasn't for his legacy of good work in the 90s, though. I think there are unknown, better comedians who wouldn't have been able to do this simply because they don't have the credit.

Crabwalk

Am I remembering rightly that Collins once popped up on CaB to defend himself against people criticising him here?

I'm pretty sure that happened.