Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:57:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: Crabwalk on July 21, 2017, 03:47:34 PM
Am I remembering rightly that Collins once popped up on CaB to defend himself against people criticising him here?

I'm pretty sure that happened.

It did.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Andrew_Collins on December 22, 2010, 08:43:04 PM
If I "bring" anything to the podcast, it's simply that Richard wouldn't do it without me.

Ho ho ho.

JamesTC

To me it seemed that Collins was trying to hit the "Collings" persona. He has been a bit snipy to Richard in many Collings and Herrin podcasts (most memorably in the 100th episode if memory serves me) but in general this was balanced out by "Herrin" threatening to bum him or calling his Mum a fucking idiot. Richard was more in the interview persona which meant it was a bit of an off atmosphere but I still think for the last 40 minutes they'd settled into a sort of equilibrium.

You can say that maybe Andrew is a bit aggressive to Richard here but over the years he has been a good sport particularly when it comes to being made into a comedy character in AIOTM (including a reappearance in the new Video AIOTM).

Quote from: Mobius on July 21, 2017, 01:52:29 AM
I am actually relistening to them now. There is something comforting about hearing them rustle through papers, talk about Shannon Matthews, Jon Gaunt, Madeline McCann... like going back in time. And you'll get to hear all the Richard Herring anecdotes you've heard a hundred times before on his hundred of podcasts and standup shows all over again!

I remember listening to the germ of the idea for Herring's Hitler Moustache show appear on C&H and then develop until it became the show. Interesting to see the process.

Gwen Taylor on ITV

I remember his appearance on HIGNFY when he had the moustache and he could barely suppress his giggling like having a Hitler moustache was the wackiest thing in the world.

Replies From View

Quote from: Gwen Taylor on ITV on July 21, 2017, 07:52:59 PM
I remember his appearance on HIGNFY when he had the moustache and he could barely suppress his giggling like having a Hitler moustache was the wackiest thing in the world.

Yes, for somebody who claimed that the entire point was that it should be no big deal, he certainly tended to draw attention to it at every opportunity.

Dr Rock

It's another example of him thinking his every idea is genius. As I understand it, his daring entry to the world with a Hitler moustache yielded pretty much nothing of any interest.

Sin Agog

He also sported it on Never Mind the Buzzcocks, I theenk?

Mini

And on You Have Been Watching. You know the one. You Have Been Watching.

Sin Agog

So he's alright with being seen as pro-Hitler, but please God above don't let anyone think I'm into Corbyn!!!

olliebean

Quote from: Replies From View on July 21, 2017, 09:30:49 PM
Yes, for somebody who claimed that the entire point was that it should be no big deal, he certainly tended to draw attention to it at every opportunity.

Also as I recall on a couple of occasions when it was in danger of actually being a big deal, he chickened out and shaved it off.

Replies From View

Interestingly (maybe not interestingly) the (audio only) Collings RHLSTP has been added to the Collings and Herrin Podcast feed as 'Collings and Herrin - RHLSTP Reunion'.  So it's official canon now.

JamesTC

Quote from: Replies From View on July 22, 2017, 10:35:26 PM
Interestingly (maybe not interestingly) the (audio only) Collings RHLSTP has been added to the Collings and Herrin Podcast feed as 'Collings and Herrin - RHLSTP Reunion'.  So it's official canon now.

I do hope they make more somehow (as was mentioned in the podcast when they said they just needed to be paid and somebody shouted out "Kickstarter").

But if this is the end of it, it is better to have this be the last proper "Collings and Herrin" then the original last one which is just depressing.

Mobius

Quote from: Replies From View on July 22, 2017, 10:35:26 PM

Yeah I thought that was cool. I was surprised to see it updated as I've had it on my phone for years! I listen to the old ones quite a lot.

I thought it was really good, funny, awkward. Their relationship is weird, it'll always be weird. The bit where Richard said he asked him to be his best man, then backtracked to wanted him to be, then said he had said that to him after the fact? It's really hard to know with Collings how much is an act, but the way they played off eachother and that uneasy tension was hilarious I thought. They really recaptured the old C&H podcasts in some parts.

It's a real shame if they honestly haven't spoken for that many years. They spent so much time together. Amongst all the filth there was genuine warmth.

I haven't listened to too many of these Leicester Square ones so maybe it's an inside joke or gets funnier with repetition but I seriously can't believe he's pedalling a book of emergency questions... they're the shittest thing ever and I was annoyed when he went to them instead of talking to Andrew. I can't believe he does those questions on some of the brilliant and interesting guests he get. What must they think?

I was disappointed Andrew didn't pull out the 'child star chops off willy' headline clipping from his scrapbook

Rev

Quote from: Mobius on July 23, 2017, 02:34:45 AM
maybe it's an inside joke or gets funnier with repetition

No, it never gets funnier.  It's nice to have this sort of thing but Herring is an egotistical fuckwit who can't function as an interviewer.  He has to pull the spotlight back to him at all times, and at this point it's just a drunk bloke telling you about that amazing thing that happened in that club in 1997 for the thousandth time.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Mobius on July 23, 2017, 02:34:45 AM
It's a real shame if they honestly haven't spoken for that many years.

I know that not to be the case. In fact I think awkwardness was being played up a bit, especially by AC.

Replies From View

Quote from: DrGreggles on July 23, 2017, 08:53:26 AM
I know that not to be the case. In fact I think awkwardness was being played up a bit, especially by AC.

(Not directed entirely at you, this, but a response to a theme.)

I don't think that it was as calculated as anyone is saying.  He was being drunk and needy, and saying a few cringe-inducing things because he wasn't reading the room very well.

Richard used to claim that he was playing a "character", but all this really means is he was exaggerating his dickishness for comedic effect.  Saying a few things he didn't believe (mixed with some things that were more ambiguously believed in) to create a weird atmosphere.  Calling it a "character" is really just backing out of taking responsibility for the things he's saying, and a lot less interesting too.  (Adam Buxton, for example, used to bellow ridiculous beliefs and annoyances on the Adam and Joe 6 Music show, but there was never a question of him "playing a character".  To anybody who understood what was going on, he was just "being silly".)

As for Andrew I don't think there was a character there, and he never claimed there was.  He was reacting to Richard with some of his own banter.

Here in this RHLSTP episode, Collings seems to be drunk, and I don't doubt that he's trying to get a reaction out of Richard when he's pointing out that he never used to greet him properly or show any interest in him, but I think it comes from a truthful place.  What he probably wasn't expecting was for Richard to stay in calm interview mode rather than get involved more fully like the Collings and Herrin days.  This is different from "playing up his awkwardness" though.  Where there is awkwardness it's real.  Andrew is being himself, I'm sure.

McFlymo

Quote from: Replies From View on July 23, 2017, 12:23:10 PM

I don't think that it was as calculated as anyone is saying.  He was being drunk and needy, and saying a few cringe-inducing things because he wasn't reading the room very well.

Totally agree. And I agree that I think Collinggs was maybe a bit drunk on this RHLSTP (probably nerves, understandably perhaps).

Also, I feel people are being a bit harsh on Herring. In the recent RHLSTPs it seems like Herring isn't quite as obnoxious and I like his ability to take the piss out of his guests when they're being a bit too earnest or sincere about something. He does this well and he can be good at not going too far. On the other hand, I enjoy when he does go too far and misreads his guest and then accidentally creates awkward tension and offends them. That often makes the podcast pretty fucking funny.

I've somehow come round to the emergency questions. I used to REALLY hate them.
Now it feels like they're more of a formal thing and therefore, sort of less annoyingly random, perhaps.

At the same time, he's ruined a couple of interviews with them. Can't remember off the top of my head, but I remember screaming at youtube (because I'm clearly a fucking weirdo) in frustration at him, for completely annihilating a genuinely very intriguing area that his interview was going.

So he's a dick for doing that and no, he's not a very good comedian, but I still like him...

I also feel I've probably wrote some variation of this post on CaB about 18 times now, over the last 4 or 5 years.

... I'm terrified to actually go and look. I won't.

Sin Agog

Quote from: McFlymo on July 23, 2017, 07:49:02 PM
At the same time, he's ruined a couple of interviews with them. Can't remember off the top of my head, but I remember screaming at youtube (because I'm clearly a fucking weirdo) in frustration at him, for completely annihilating a genuinely very intriguing area that his interview was going.

Are you thinking of Diane Morgan/Philomena Cunk?  All the emergency questions in that one needed an emergency conversation.  I get the comedic instinct to follow up a serious, heartfelt point with, "If you could have an armpit that dispensed suncream..." but it then makes it entirely about you and not about the person you're talking to, which you can only do so many times before they'll just dry up and leave you to it.

(I admit I can be a bit harsh on ol' Herring.  Being awkward isn't the worst crime in the world).

McFlymo

Agh, I can't remember, but I'm sure it's happened a few times. I like when Herring undermines the tone of what the guest is saying, I admire the audacity of that, and I still think that's one of the strong points of RHLSTP: That he doesn't just suck up to his guests.

Although his nervousness does cause him to do that a lot too and that's kinda weird.
Who was the guest, where he was basically completely losing it and admitted he felt so intimidated having this comedy hero sit across from him? It was awkward, the guest didn't give a fuck and it didn't make the interview flow any better.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Replies From View on July 23, 2017, 12:23:10 PMWhat he probably wasn't expecting was for Richard to stay in calm interview mode rather than get involved more fully like the Collings and Herrin days.

Yeah, the awkward bits were due to a kind of misalignment.  I think Collins was expecting a bit of a roasting, so was prickly and went on the attack unprovoked; Herring wasn't expecting that reaction, and took it on face value and responded genuinely.  For the very final section, they aligned a bit better.

It's also less harsh in video.  Collins laughs out loud a lot, but off-mic, and Herring's silent twitches of bewilderment are joyous.

Replies From View

I keep forgetting that some people mainly engage with the audio-only versions of these.  It baffles me.

Quote from: Replies From View on July 23, 2017, 09:24:00 PM
I keep forgetting that some people mainly engage with the audio-only versions of these.  It baffles me.

I like to listen to podcasts while I do other things. Think that's the chief appeal to a lot of other people too. Bit of entertainment while you do something active or mindless or both.

Sin Agog

Does it count if I put on the youtube video then play Spider Solitaire all the way through it?

Sin Agog

Quote from: McFlymo on July 23, 2017, 09:03:10 PM
Who was the guest, where he was basically completely losing it and admitted he felt so intimidated having this comedy hero sit across from him? It was awkward, the guest didn't give a fuck and it didn't make the interview flow any better.

Hmm.  Seems a bit reminiscent of the David Cross one.  There was a little bit of a sucking up to the American exchange kid vibe to that one, though it didn't end up too bad.

Gwen Taylor on ITV

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 23, 2017, 10:22:11 PM
Hmm.  Seems a bit reminiscent of the David Cross one.  There was a little bit of a sucking up to the American exchange kid vibe to that one, though it didn't end up too bad.

Yeah it was a good episode. Though I cringed when Rich said without any irony that Fist of Fun was very similar to Mr. Show. I think Cross just politely nodded and said "cool".

BeardFaceMan

I haven't listened to a lot of these, it needs to be a really good guest for me to indulge him, but these emergency questions, hasn't he just listened to Would You Rather? from Comedy Bang Bang and done a shit version of it? And done that thing people do when they nick ideas from US comics,  which is to think that they're the only person groovy enough to be turned on to US comedy and banking on the audience not knowing?

pigamus

It baffles you that people stick podcasts on their iPods? What do you think podcasts are?