Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:34:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: magval on April 19, 2018, 08:06:52 AM
I don't think Rich likes taking a back seat.

There first thing mentioned in the description on iTunes was that he didn't get many words in.
Yes, Rich. The audience were left disappointed because of that.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: c on April 18, 2018, 01:24:20 PM
HERRING: "I hope that it will lead to conversations between strangers on buses, successful first dates and ultimately world peace. But at the very least make your gran laugh 'til her false teeth pop out on Boxing Day."

WAHEY!!! HA HA!!! HOO HOO!!

Fucking hell, I thought you were taking the piss with that. And he wonders why no one in tv wants to touch him.

From that article:

Quoteregularly attracts over 200,000 listeners

I've often wondered what the figures are, as on youtube he tends to get between ten to twenty thousand on average (unless it's a big, really well known guest), so I guess the other 180,000 are downloading the audio?

bobloblaw

Blessed's ramblings are worth it for his peerless delivery of "it was shite" in the Picasso bit, which had me involuntarily LOLing in the middle of Oxford Street

olliebean

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 19, 2018, 09:32:16 AMI've often wondered what the figures are, as on youtube he tends to get between ten to twenty thousand on average (unless it's a big, really well known guest), so I guess the other 180,000 are downloading the audio?

He's at no.10 on the iTunes UK comedy podcasts chart, which I suppose must represent a decent number of listeners. Comparatively, though, quite satisfying to see Dr Buckles at no.5.

bgmnts

I'd love to have a pint with Brian Blessed.

For about half an hour. I feel anything after that and i'd be exhausted.

I assume alot of Brian Blessed stories are fiction? Didn't believe the baby or Picasso anecdotes.

Also can't believe he's 81!

DrGreggles

Not sure it matters whether they're true or not. They're good stories.

Replies From View

Quote from: Replies From View on March 21, 2018, 05:07:13 PM
I'm looking forward to the Brian Blessed one, and whether he expands upon the rowing orangutan story revealed in Would I Lie To You?

(I'll eat my hat if Herring doesn't ask him the Bigfoot question for this reason.)

NO HAT-EATING FOR ME, MOTHERFUCKERS.

Rolf Lundgren

Really laughed out loud at the end of the Flash Gordon anecdote. Don't want to spoil it here but it's a great line to end a story on.

Rich did seem increasingly irritated throughout this but he must have known what he was letting himself in for.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Yes, if you invite BRIAN BLESSED on to your podcast, then of course he's going to dominate proceedings with his barking mad nonsense. That's the whole point of him, he's an eccentric, bellicose actor who talks a load of bollocks.

Anyway, he was a great guest, I laughed quite a lot. I particularly enjoyed the anecdote about Donald Wolfit, his delivery of "nevertheless" was beautifully timed.

They were obviously all anecdotes he's told a thousand times before, hence why it came across as a one-man show featuring very occasional prompts from Herring. If Herring really was annoyed at being upstaged, then he shouldn't have had the mad old fucker on in the first place.

However, to echo bgmnts, I felt worn out by the end. Great fun, but I was glad of the peace and quiet afterwards.

Replies From View

I don't think Herring was genuinely irritated; he played up some kind of mild exasperation for laughs but I think he was enjoying it a lot.  He was probably tired; that can come across as irritation sometimes.

I've just read Rich's blurb for this episode on YT, and he describes it sincerely as "one of the best experiences of my life". If he looks irritated in the video, it's probably more a case of him not really knowing what to do except let Blessed ramble on. Which was the right thing to do in this instance (not that he had a chance in hell of doing anything else anyway).

EDIT: Replies beat me to it. Sorry, Rich, if you're reading this, I'm glad you enjoyed that unique experience.

Replies From View

Don't get me wrong; I'm still bitter towards him for stealing my Quantum Leap anecdote for AIOTM.

"People like Branagh, Antony Sher, Derek Jacobi, Ian McKellen, they're shite compared to me" must be one of the funniest lines ever uttered on a Herring podcast.

Danger Man

Several people seem to be calling it the best podcast ever recorded and I am happy to go along with that as I play so little part in it. But i am proud of my persistence in getting him booked and my correct decision to not even attempt to interrupt for the vast majority of the show. I don't think we can better this one, but we will keep on trying. 

http://www.richardherring.com/warmingup/11572/wednesday_18th_april_2018.html

BeardFaceMan

One would hope that he recognises it as one of the best eps ever because he is barely in it and learn something but hes not self -aware enough for that is he? Next show he'll be back to interrupting the guest tò tell a story about himself.

This episode isn't illustrated by the usual cheery dressing room pic with Rich and his guest. I hope that's because Blessed just barreled off into the night after the recording, leaving a stunned into silence Leicester Square Theatre in his wake.

Mini

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 19, 2018, 07:58:21 PM
"People like Branagh, Antony Sher, Derek Jacobi, Ian McKellen, they're shite compared to me" must be one of the funniest lines ever uttered on a Herring podcast.

Sounds like Rich is getting a bit big for his boots.

SteveDave

I couldn't handle this and turned it off after 20 minutes.

Wet Blanket

I loved it, up there with Bob Mortimer's as the high watermark of RHLSTP. Loads of laughs: "You couldn't do something like that anymore" after one particularly nuts story really set me off.

I'm inclined to believe there is a nub of truth to all his anecdotes, but they've been wildly exaggerated in the telling.

Paaaaul

I wonder if the real Brian Blessed still exists, or if he's been consumed by this caricature.

Replies From View

Bobtoo

Quote from: Paaaaul on April 20, 2018, 12:43:13 PM
I wonder if the real Brian Blessed still exists, or if he's been consumed by this caricature.

The real Brian Blessed was there. He broke character a couple of times towards the end to check that he wasn't over running.

I don't think I've ever seen him acting, other than in The Black Adder. Is he any good as an actor or does he always basically play himself?

Clive Langham

Quote from: Bobtoo on April 20, 2018, 04:39:48 PM
The real Brian Blessed was there. He broke character a couple of times towards the end to check that he wasn't over running.

I don't think I've ever seen him acting, other than in The Black Adder. Is he any good as an actor or does he always basically play himself?

He was excellent early on in his career before he became a bit of a self-parody. His Augustus in I Claudius is probably the best thing he ever did - he plays a flawed but decent man with subtlety and pathos.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Clive Langham on April 20, 2018, 06:07:03 PM
He was excellent early on in his career before he became a bit of a self-parody. His Augustus in I Claudius is probably the best thing he ever did - he plays a flawed but decent man with subtlety and pathos.

QUINCTILUS VARUS GET ME MY EAGLES!!!

Yeah he's good in Claudius from what I've seen.

Replies From View

Panbaams

A fun episode, but that Donald Wolfit story (for one) is as old as the hills and he gave the impression that it happened on the night he went to see the play.

The Roofdog

Quote from: ASFTSN on April 20, 2018, 06:21:38 PM
QUINCTILUS VARUS GET ME MY EAGLES!!!

Yeah he's good in Claudius from what I've seen.

IS THERE ANYONE IN ROME WHO HAS NOT SLEPT WITH MY DAUGHTER!?

A more iconic line than the Gordon one for my money.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 19, 2018, 07:21:39 PM
If Herring really was annoyed at being upstaged, then he shouldn't have had the mad old fucker on in the first place.

I only listened to it so I can't say for sure but Herring must have known what was going to happen and when Blessed got rolling he just though fuck it, sit back and enjoy the show. It's not like he had a choice. I thought it was joyous, Herring asking the occasional question, Blessed giving some booming, wandering anecdote that may or may not have had something to do with what Herring asked and then asking "Does that answer your question?", and then a big laugh from the audience, brilliant fun.

I have to say though, much more than an hour of it and Blessed would be exhausted and anyone listening would be too. He's good for 81 though and there's nobody quite like him. He's like a cross between Captain Cook and Peter Ustinov.

Rowley Birkin QC from the Fast Show wasn't based on him but he could have been.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 19, 2018, 07:58:21 PM

His strategic use of the word "shite" was most amusing. A very funny man.