Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:36:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enzo

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on July 23, 2017, 10:44:15 PM
I haven't listened to a lot of these, it needs to be a really good guest for me to indulge him, but these emergency questions, hasn't he just listened to Would You Rather? from Comedy Bang Bang and done a shit version of it? And done that thing people do when they nick ideas from US comics,  which is to think that they're the only person groovy enough to be turned on to US comedy and banking on the audience not knowing?

I think CBB used some of his emergency questions.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Enzo on July 23, 2017, 11:00:22 PM
I think CBB used some of his emergency questions.

If that had happened I'm sure he would have written a lengthy blog post about it.

Sin Agog

A ton of chat shows/podcasts have been doing the emergency questions thing for years, they just call them 'a few questions from our Twitter followers'.  (I'm thinking of Kevin Pollak's Chat Show in particular.  Oy, there's another one who knows how to make an interview fraught with awkward pauses and paper ruffling).

I never listened to C&H radio show so have no context for this podcast but the frog tape bit was hilarious. I think it's because he said frog tape with the exact same intonation every time, the repetition just makes it funnier.

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 23, 2017, 11:14:55 PM
A ton of chat shows/podcasts have been doing the emergency questions thing for years, they just call them 'a few questions from our Twitter followers'.  (I'm thinking of Kevin Pollak's Chat Show in particular.  Oy, there's another one who knows how to make an interview fraught with awkward pauses and paper ruffling).
Off topic (and speaking of Harmon) but you just reminded me of a great awkward on that podcast - Dan Harmon unintentionally insulting the sidekick (also Pollack's girlfriend) during his interview.

Sin Agog

Hahahaha.  I thought I watched that episode, but...obviously not as I would have remembered that.  I am 100% certain she's high on the spectrum.  She only ever chimes in to bang on about Disneyland, Simpsons quotes or food.  I love how Harmon can't help himself after seeing that she's already cut to the quick by continuing to describe Disneyland obsessives.  Thanks for that link!  Got my cruel laugh of the morning.

EDIT: Woah, in the intro to the next episode with Johnny Knoxville, Pollak compares Harmon's comments to 'the KKK ganging up on the first negro'.  That takes pussywhipped to BDSM levels.

Genevieve

No mention of the new one with David Baddiel, I find I enjoy all his appearances on this and the Edinburgh podcasts.  In this latest one, he seemed weirdly to remind me of Stuart Goldsmith's appearance on RHLSTP; his clothes, posture and gesticulations.  When he told Herring to fill while he went off stage I thought he was playing some kind of trick on him.  Anyway I watched it very late and can't remember anything mind-blowing but it was an enjoyable chat.  (there's no place for me round here, is there?)  Oh, there was a bit too much "blue" stuff for me, but I knew there would be.

EOLAN

I enjoyed the Baddiel one. Nothing too amazing but just a pleasurable listen. Him and Herring seemed to have a bit of a rapport so conversation flowed fairly naturally; although was one notable case where Herring admitted he wasn't listening to Baddiel's answer as was thinking up an emergency question or the like.

Replies From View

Did he go to the toilet in order to repeat the Baddiel and Skinner anecdote?  Seemed like it.  If he did go to the toilet for real he certainly didn't wash his hands in that time.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Sin Agog on July 24, 2017, 06:57:32 AM
Hahahaha.  I thought I watched that episode, but...obviously not as I would have remembered that.  I am 100% certain she's high on the spectrum.  She only ever chimes in to bang on about Disneyland, Simpsons quotes or food.  I love how Harmon can't help himself after seeing that she's already cut to the quick by continuing to describe Disneyland obsessives.  Thanks for that link!  Got my cruel laugh of the morning.

EDIT: Woah, in the intro to the next episode with Johnny Knoxville, Pollak compares Harmon's comments to 'the KKK ganging up on the first negro'.  That takes pussywhipped to BDSM levels.

Kevin talking about what happened with Dan Harmon to Johnny Knoxville is incredible in how wrong it is. I'm fascinated by KPCS and the awkward dynamic at the start that spins it's wheels for 10 minutes. They make Herring's intros look like An Evening with Peter Ustinov. Jaime is beyond hopeless and, for someone who apparently is a comedy nerd and writes sketches, has never knowingly said anything funny. The fact she's credited as 'head writer' on an improvised chat show tells you everything you need to know about hers and Kevin's relationship. Anyway enough thread derailing...

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Replies From View on July 23, 2017, 09:24:00 PM
I keep forgetting that some people mainly engage with the audio-only versions of these.  It baffles me.

I usually put them on when I go to bed and fall asleep and miss most of them.

Twit 2

kidsick5000

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Twit 2 on August 01, 2017, 12:17:02 AM
David Baddiel one is good.

I like Baddiel's unfailing honesty and willingness to talk about anything. Really enjoyed this one.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on August 03, 2017, 05:35:05 PM
I like Baddiel's unfailing honesty and willingness to talk about anything. Really enjoyed this one.

Agreed. I wonder what he said about Rob Newman that was edited out. Did anyone go to see it live?

hedgehog90

I found the Baddiel one a total bore.
I usually enjoy him to a degree, but while I was watching it I began to understand why CaB generally dislikes him.
And then I check the thread and you all bloody loved it!
I'll never fit in.

kidsick5000

Quote from: hedgehog90 on August 03, 2017, 07:43:39 PM
I found the Baddiel one a total bore.
I usually enjoy him to a degree, but while I was watching it I began to understand why CaB generally dislikes him.
And then I check the thread and you all bloody loved it!
I'll never fit in.

Try five minutes of the Brendon Burns one. You'll run back to David Baddiel episode like it was a long lost lover

hedgehog90

I would naturally steer clear of this one, but if all of you like it then going by my last comment, this should be good.

[Precisely 7 minutes later]

Well that was awful.

BeardFaceMan

I like David Baddiel but should I bother listening to this? He generally just trots out the same anecdotes all the time, I don't need to hear how his liitle girl called his name in the toilets again. Fucking hell, when he was 8 Out Of 10 Cats Do Countdown he brought out the funny 16th century death bill thing, he was doing that on tour in 1994. Has he done much work comedy wise these past few years or does he just do the books?

Baddiel was definitely touring a stand-up show about a year ago.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on August 03, 2017, 05:35:05 PM

I think he's a boorish shitmunch.  He's one of those fuckfaces who think their unilateral 'openness' means they have the right to badger other people.  You get them in workplaces, loudly cunting on, beloved by some whilst making everyone else feel horribly uncomfortable.  "I LOVE big cocks! Love 'em. I bet you love a big cock, don't you Sophie?  Come on Sophie.  What's your boyfriend's cock like?"

Fuck 'em into a hole.

Who's the other guy on the Brendon Burns one?

hedgehog90

Jackson K Pollock

I'm just listening to the Baddel one now and at the beginning Baddiel denies ever appearing in TMWRNJ. Herring doesn't pick him up on a this and they both assume it must just be an IMDb mistake.

But... he definitely was in it, wasn't he? I vaguely (but vividly) remember him appearing briefly in a sketch (maybe in a phone box?!) and calling my dad in.

It was the first time we'd seen him since his image make over and we were both slightly shocked by the goatee beard and slightly shorter hair.

Mini

I went to one of Richard Herring's Edinburgh Fringe Podcasts that was due to feature Brendon Burns, which I didn't know when I got
tickets, but he was jetlagged or something so Simon Munnery stepped in because his show was on next at The Stand. It was the best possible turn of events.

Anyway, that's my review of the Brendon Burns RHLSTP.

The Brendon Burns Craig Quartermaine one is kind of interesting despite Brendon Burns talking too much. I felt like I did learn something about race relations in Australia and the tensions between white Australians and UK audiences even though it was channeled through Burns' apparent stress at trying to confront everything as a comedian.

DrGreggles