Author Topic: Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition  (Read 128064 times)

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
Re: Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition
« Reply #1320 on: December 04, 2018, 01:48:07 PM »
Listened to about 40 minutes of the Rose Matafeo one but got bored, Herring was rambling away far too much and though Rose was funny in places I didn't find her that fascinating. For anyone who's seen her, is her stand up worth while?

« Reply #1321 on: December 04, 2018, 02:27:33 PM »
Listened to about 40 minutes of the Rose Matafeo one but got bored, Herring was rambling away far too much and though Rose was funny in places I didn't find her that fascinating. For anyone who's seen her, is her stand up worth while?

Quite enjoyed her Edinburgh show that won the big award, bounced along nicely, tons of charisma, not sure her comedy is particularly aimed for older white men like us but I feel her best stuff is yet to come.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #1322 on: December 04, 2018, 06:18:15 PM »
Don't think women should be referred to as 'things'.

Well they are.

Twed

• Take a Key for Coming in!
« Reply #1323 on: December 04, 2018, 06:26:36 PM »
There goes marquis_de_sade again, insisting that women aren't corporeal. Get over it mate, they're not imaginary wisps. Even your erotic fan fiction about killing them for fun contradicts this.

Small Man Big Horse

« Reply #1324 on: December 04, 2018, 06:40:20 PM »
Quite enjoyed her Edinburgh show that won the big award, bounced along nicely, tons of charisma, not sure her comedy is particularly aimed for older white men like us but I feel her best stuff is yet to come.

Thanks for that, probably won't rush out to see her then but will catch if I get the chance.

« Reply #1325 on: December 05, 2018, 02:16:52 PM »
There goes marquis_de_sade again, insisting that women aren't corporeal. Get over it mate, they're not imaginary wisps. Even your erotic fan fiction about killing them for fun contradicts this.

Now I can't stop thinking about imaginary wispas.

Replies From View

• Rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.
  • Golden Member
  • Gargoyles have milk bags.
« Reply #1326 on: December 05, 2018, 04:00:11 PM »
Now I can't stop thinking about imaginary wispas.

OF COURSE THEY ALL HAVE THOUSANDS OF TINY HOLES BY THE TIME ETC

BeardFaceMan

• Safely ensconced on top of the bathroom cabinet
    • mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #1327 on: December 06, 2018, 01:48:07 PM »
Was just watching an old Bob Mortimer one of these and at the end he's pretty gobsmacked that Rich is still with Avalon. Why is this? Do they have a rep for treating their comedians badly or something?

« Reply #1328 on: December 06, 2018, 02:00:30 PM »
Stew berated him at length for the same thing on one of his appearances didn't he?  It got mostly cut from the released version though.  Maybe someone can be more useful, maybe Mr SmallManBigHorse

Small Man Big Horse

« Reply #1329 on: December 06, 2018, 04:04:11 PM »
Lee had a rant about them a couple of years ago as he feels they monopolise tv comedy - https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/comedy/news/stewart-lee-is-not-amused-at-monopoly-control-of-tv-comedy-8477824.html

The 44-year-old comedian told The Independent that panel shows such as 8 Out Of 10 Cats and stand-up show cases like Live At The Apollo are created by production companies that use another wing of their business to cultivate talent who can be given high-profile slots, allowing executives to pocket a commission on their own payments.

“All of those shows are peppered to a disproportionate extent with clients of the management company owned by the production company,” he said. “You have a ridiculous situation where a client of the management company is interviewing another client of a management company on a programme made by the production company owned by the management company. Basically, advertising money and licence-payer money is being spent to increase the marketplace value of a tiny coterie of people.”

And there's a bit more here: http://www.stewartlee.co.uk/alt-comedy-exp/the-elite-have-stitched-up-comedy/

"Comedy on television is completely stitched up by two or three agencies and production companies In Cahoots with the Big Four [venues] at the Fringe, spending money on their own talent and getting their own talent into debt‘, justifiable by those acts ‘being seen in the Big Four by TV people and journalists‘. If you could actually have a television show where a criteria of entry was that you had to be in the Free Fringe, that would really start to rock the boat."

And there's a bit of a moan about Avalon not being able to find anyone to release his dvd in 2005: http://www.mustardweb.org/stewartlee/

When I left Avalon in 2006, they had a deal for filming my 2004 show Stand-Up Comedian, but the company they were using didn't want the 2005 show, 90s Comedian. I really wanted it filmed, because I knew that if you filmed it, that kind of finishes it as a piece of work, so you can stop doing that material. Whether it sold or not, it was really useful to draw a line under it. I was trying to think like an artist or musician who creates a body of work and then moves on to the next thing.

So I said to Avalon: any company that wants to film and release this can have it for nothing. But they weren't able to find anyone. Then I met Chris Evans, who runs Go Faster Stripe. He was a fan and was a tech support guy for an arts company in Cardiff. He knew some cameramen, so he said I'll film it and we can sell it on my website, which I think sold children's clothing that his wife had designed.

I said fine, we'll split it fifty-fifty. So that DVD, which Avalon couldn't find anyone to release, ended up on the Times Shortlist thing, where they called it the stand-up DVD of the decade.

up_the_hampipe

• Crowd appeaser
« Reply #1330 on: December 06, 2018, 04:09:05 PM »
Didn't Addison Cresswell sort of threaten Stewart Lee once for making fun of Michael McIntyre?

Small Man Big Horse

« Reply #1331 on: December 06, 2018, 04:46:21 PM »
Yeah: https://www.chortle.co.uk/features/2011/07/19/13653/stewart_lee:_what_i_really_think_about_michael_mcintyre

Addison Cresswell, had just whispered under his breath to me the half-serious threat: ‘Stop making fun of my boy or you might find your career peaks too soon.’

Still, he's dead now and so Lee clearly murdered him had the last laugh.

Twed

• Take a Key for Coming in!
« Reply #1332 on: December 06, 2018, 04:56:06 PM »
Yeah: https://www.chortle.co.uk/features/2011/07/19/13653/stewart_lee:_what_i_really_think_about_michael_mcintyre

I bet a thousand pounds that it was a heart attack.

Small Man Big Horse

« Reply #1333 on: December 06, 2018, 05:16:18 PM »
I bet a thousand pounds that it was a heart attack caused by Stewart Lee jumping out of his bedroom closet dressed as a crisp.

You're probably right there.

BeardFaceMan

• Safely ensconced on top of the bathroom cabinet
    • mixes'n'mashes
« Reply #1334 on: December 06, 2018, 05:22:34 PM »
From what Bob was saying it sounded financial, he said to him at one point "my agent takes 10%, what do you think about that?", like Avalon takes a bigger cut.

« Reply #1335 on: December 06, 2018, 07:23:51 PM »
My step brother runs a pretty big roady and stage crew business (called Up North Stage Crew) and has always hinted that Cresswell was someone you don't want to mess with, if you enjoyed your knees.

« Reply #1336 on: December 07, 2018, 02:53:24 PM »

...yet Patrick Marber confessed to the crime?