Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:27:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The End is Nigh (New game from Super Meat Boy guy)

Started by buntyman, July 17, 2017, 05:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buntyman

This was mentioned in the Nintendo Switch thread but thought i'd give it it's own one as it's out now. Not much in the way of reviews for it so far but I bought it on Steam as soon as I saw it was out as I was pretty confident i'd like it based on the maker's past output.

I've played it for about an hour now and my first impression is that it seems okay but a bit too difficult and gloomy looking. I was immediately drawn into the meat boy colourful appearance, pleasingly simple level select map design and lovely intuitive control scheme. This doesn't really have any of that, it's grey, spiky and the jumping feels a bit sluggish. I'm sure it'll come with the investment of a lot of hours of practice but there are sections where you have to time your jumping on bouncy platforms or enemy heads with such precision (while pointing the d-pad in the opposite direction) that I can't quite get the hang of it. I wish I could go onto another level when I get frustrated from continually dying on one. It would also be nice to get a few early bonuses from collecting the tumours like you did with the bandages on meat boy to make it feel worth making the effort.

Anyone else got it yet? I know there are a fair few Isaac and Meat boy fans on here so I'd like to hear what others think and get some pointers.

Bhazor

I'm surprised by the complete lack of any reviews. Between BoI and Meatboy I'd thought McMillen could expect a little fanfare. Not even any youtube reviews at the moment.

madhair60

Ehhh. I'm as big a fan of McMillen's games as they probably come, but this isn't doing a whole lot for me. It feels mechanically undercooked and too slow-paced, there's little weight to the character and the secrets are barely hidden. In short it isn't as good as even the original Newgrounds Meat Boy, sadly.