Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:47:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan For You Season 4

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 18, 2017, 10:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Christ almighty, even by Nathan For You standards that was fucking bonkers. So much going on. I loved the name change guy, as mentioned above it was so funny how quickly he switched from suspicious to completely complicit regarding jumping through each hoop, once he understood the reasons for doing it.

Dr Rock

Nothing to add, just agreeing it was fantastic for the reasons already stated.

Ron Superior

Finally saw the new EP and, yeah, it was perfect.

Everyone involved in it I'd be happy if they were a new regular visitor. I'm now kind of hoping the 2 hour finale is about finding a happy ending for Austin.

wooders1978

Hoping we get to see the jim Carey impersonator utilised in a future episode - smokin!

garbed_attic

I find Austin so bloody endearing.

Artemis

Fucking loved this. It's always great when Nathan dedicates a longer stretch or a full episode to one idea. As others have said, the holes the show digs itself into to get out of other holes its needlessly dug is such a creative joy to watch unfold. I love the re-use of old characters as well (although I suspect we'll be seeing less of Bryan Wolfe now he's clearly in on the joke).

Quote from: Utter Shit on September 30, 2017, 08:52:16 PM
it was so funny how quickly he switched from suspicious to completely complicit regarding jumping through each hoop, once he understood the reasons for doing it.

They shoot so much material, I'm guessing they had a range of reactions they could choose from most people they involved, and they simply select the ones that seem funniest. The greatness of this show is in the editing process.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Caprilusa on September 29, 2017, 01:20:18 PM
I want nothing more than to hold in my hand a copy of The Diarrhea Times.

Two copies are now up on ebay, and this one currently has no bids on it - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diarrhea-Times-as-seen-in-Nathan-For-You-/322798960180?hash=item4b28513e34:g:QGEAAOSwSYpZ0GYC

weekender

Can anyone explain why I want a copy of the Diarrhea Times so much?

I mean, I bought a copy of The Movement for some reason, and this thread has prompted me to think that I'm fairly sure that at some point over the weekend I bought a Summit Ice jacket just because the incongruity of the web page made me laugh*.  Don't get me wrong, I don't find the Holocaust funny in any way whatsoever, but when it's used as an extreme juxtaposition to sell fashion wear it just seems to satirically comment on everything that's wrong with fashion chains like Benetton or whatever the modern equivalent of them is.  The fact that the Summit Ice monies go to a Holocaust education centre makes me feel at least morally even.

Please convince me not to spend £20 on the Diarrhea Times.  I mean, it's not even spelt right.

Having thought about it a little, I think it's because having actual items to remind me of the show just makes me laugh so much.  I imagine myself going out in my Summit Ice jacket, and if one person recognises it, I'll be so happy, and even if they don't I'll be able to promote Holocaust awareness.

*I just checked and I did.  Christ, this was an interesting weekend.

weekender

Ah, one other thing, from the Summit Ice website:

QuoteAs part of his trip, Mr. Fielder will be opening Summit Ice's first retail pop-up store at 138 East Broadway, in Vancouver's historic outdoor apparel district. Greater Vancouver residents are encouraged to come down and trade in any Taiga jacket they have in exchange for a free Summit Ice soft-shell jacket and "Deny Nothing" pin. Donations will also be accepted in exchange for other Summit Ice clothing while supplies last. (Please note: any Taiga jackets collected will be disposed of in a manner deemed appropriate by Mr. Fielder.) The pop-up store will only be open for this one-day event, which will take place on Sunday March 26 from 11am-5pm.

Bold emphasis mine. 

Is there a chance that the Nathan character (I choose my words carefully here) was originally using the whole thing to collect a couple of his favourite Taiga jackets for some sort of use in the show, but it escalated a little out of his control, hence the whole Summit Ice thing?

Just wondering how the whole show is done is interesting - the rabbit holes, as an astute poster above described them.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: weekender on October 02, 2017, 06:27:32 PM
Please convince me not to spend £20 on the Diarrhea Times.  I mean, it's not even spelt right.

I think you should hold off for a week or two, the first couple will probably sell well and then loads and loads of people will put them up on ebay and the price will fall. And I'm not just saying this because I plan to buy one asap, so shut your flipping face.

weekender

I will hold off then, because I'm scared of you kicking me - both emotionally and physically.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: weekender on October 02, 2017, 06:27:32 PM
Having thought about it a little, I think it's because having actual items to remind me of the show just makes me laugh so much.  I imagine myself going out in my Summit Ice jacket, and if one person recognises it, I'll be so happy, and even if they don't I'll be able to promote Holocaust awareness.

*I just checked and I did.  Christ, this was an interesting weekend.

I didn't buy the movement book but I got an ebook version of it.  It's just funny, aside from being any kind of souvenir.   The same can be said of the Diarrhea Times based on the one scanned and uploaded.

The summit ice jacket on the other hand is more like a dumb starbucks cup or something, with (as you say) the obvious advantage that you can wear it and hope someone will recognise it (outside a CaB meet).

weekender

Now I want to buy a Dumb Starbucks mug, you haven't helped.

Small Man Big Horse

Steven

I had a friend stay the night who'd never heard of Nathan For You so I put on some of my favourites from the first three series up to and including The Hero as a capper as I explained I'd found it one of the most jaw-droppingly surreal bits of TV I'd ever seen. He laughed a lot straight from the beginning as I started out with Gas Station/Caricature Artist as it mixes the meanness of some of the humour with Nathan bonding with the people involved. But as the episodes went on he found it tougher and tougher to watch as he couldn't stand a lot of the 'cringe humour' Nathan employs such as in The Hunk or Souvenir Shop/The Web, or leaving Corey to kiss his 'girlfriend' and read a speech about Breast Cancer before a crowd who assume he's just done a death-defying walk. Though he found the ideas very interesting and surreal I think an overall nastiness came over from Nathan and the show and he found it difficult to watch any more.

He also expressed something I've similarly felt after showing him Brass Eye a few weeks ago, getting celebrities who think they are promoting good issues like Animal Rights etc to look like twats just for the sake of it he just thought was deeply unpleasant. Though I did explain about some of the stitching up that didn't make it to air sounded more the kind of thing he could get behind, such as getting a BNP bloke in a makeup room with no mirror and secretly blacking him up before he's put before Morris to air his views in on camera, he admitted that was a very funny idea. Though I think Morris explained it couldn't be used as during a break in filming the bloke went to the toilet which everyone realised had mirrors in it forcing the entire crew to run out of the studio like it was school.

Pseudopath

Yeah...I was round a friend's house at the weekend (to install a Kodi box) and, knowing we share similar sense of humour, I thought I'd try to wean him onto Nathan For You. I put on the most-recent episode (thinking it was the purest example of the labyrinthine batshit ideas Nathan comes up with to see an idea through to fruition).

Big mistake. He basically looked confused throughout the episode and genuinely worried for some of the participants. As the credits rolled, he turned to me and murmured, "It's a bit...dark, isn't it?".

Maybe I should have started from the beginning, but that shit-flavoured yoghurt episode is a stinker.

Steven

Quote from: Pseudopath on October 02, 2017, 10:51:09 PM
Maybe I should have started from the beginning, but that shit-flavoured yoghurt episode is a stinker.

I've always started people with episode 4 Gas Station/Caricature Artist but I imagine 2 or 3 are fine too. But yeah, I remember that first episode Yogurt Shop/Pizzeria not having a single laugh in it, so I don't know what kept me watching the second week, but thankfully I did.

Though with us lot that have caught up with it in weekly installments over the years, I imagine this snowballing from the early episodes up to the absolute surrealness of what came later can be a bit too much to take in one long barrage of viewing. And Nathan definitely tried to shift focus onto the uncomfortability and awkwardness of himself as a character rather than simply as a facilitator as the show went on.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Steven on October 02, 2017, 11:02:09 PM
I've always started people with episode 4 Gas Station/Caricature Artist but I imagine 2 or 3 are fine too. But yeah, I remember that first episode Yogurt Shop/Pizzeria not having a single laugh in it, so I don't know what kept me watching the second week, but thankfully I did.

I think the Pizza section has a few cute moments, most of which featured Angel, but yeah, the poo ice cream segment is easily Nathan's worst idea and it's a shame it was part of the first episode.

Petey Pate

It's definitely not a show for everyone, and I find it difficult to recommend to people.  Even if someone has a high capacity for cringe humour, there's still a world of difference between fictional shows like Peep Show and television which employs (and deceives) 'real people'.

I can't really think of anything that Nathan has done that is truly indefensible though.  I may not the be the best person to judge though, I thought that the 'dead pet video' was hilarious until someone's post on here made me realise how genuinely upsetting it must have been for the boy watching it.

newbridge

I disagree about Season 1 Episode 1 not being funny, even though I generally hate "poo" jokes. However, it's a very bad introduction to the show because it suggests that the show is just more puerile stunt comedy, as opposed to the work of an extremely complex/intelligent satirist. Being familiar with the show as a whole, I can appreciate Season 1 Episode 1 as hilarious (I feel the same way about the caricature artist segment)

Surely "Petting Zoo" is the ideal introduction to the show.

Steven

Quote from: newbridge on October 02, 2017, 11:41:15 PM
Being familiar with the show as a whole, I can appreciate Season 1 Episode 1 as hilarious (I feel the same way about the caricature artist segment)

I just rewatched for the first time and there's a couple in there, such as the PR guy ridiculing Nathan's business acumen and telling him he'd be better off standing outside the shop with a bucket of shit on his head and a sign saying "I don't know how to market a business". Nathan tries to get his own back by remarking of the guy owning a Porsche and therefore it's "a known fact" that people who drive nice cars have small penises, they then get into a fracas about the amount of penises Nathan has seen, and how he is or isn't a "penis expert".

Also Nathan trying a similar belittling tactic with the Big Angry Talking Muscly Tattooed Bloke You Don't Want To Fuck With  who won't pay for the late pizza delivery seeing as the free pizza is an inch in size which gets thrown straight back in his non-plussed face:

BATMTBYDWTFW: Take yo' pizza and stick it up your ass!

Nathan: You don't have to be RUDE.

BATMTBYDWTFW: Go away!

Nathan: Why do you have nail polish on your fing-

BATMTBYDWTFW: Cos I'm gay, gotta problem wit'dat? Bite it!

I also forgot about the pretend job interviews he has where he boasts he exudes so much confidence he'll land the job with a succession of a 7 year old, a man telling him the worst things to not land him the job such as "I'm a child molester", and a tortoise feeding him lines.

colacentral

I'm with newbridge, never understood the slating episode 1 gets. The majority of episodes since then have been better but it's still a good bit of TV. Am I mistaken in thinking one of the focus group loved the poo taste?

Repeater

Aye, I balked at showing my girlfriend the first episode for this reason. I don't find the poo stuff funny when I think of it. I'm sure the episode is good though, they're all good. We started with the episode where he sues Best Buy, with the $1 TVs etc. She found hilarious, even from the outset at the "really good grades" line. Being an actor though, she was certain some of them were acting.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Steven on October 03, 2017, 01:27:20 AM

I also forgot about the pretend job interviews he has where he boasts he exudes so much confidence he'll land the job with a succession of a 7 year old, a man telling him the worst things to not land him the job such as "I'm a child molester", and a tortoise feeding him lines.

What that means?

Repeater

Just that, literally. He was being fed lines by a kid, a horrible guy and literally a tortoise.

Utter Shit

THE KID SAID "WHAT THAT MEANS" IN THE SCENE.

Repeater

Utter Shit

I remember it cos it was basically the only part of that first episode that made me laugh. I wonder how many people turned Nathan For You after that first scene with the ice cream, and never bothered with it again.

brat-sampson

That 'horrible guy' was Archer/Bob/Master from Venture Bros/popular Van owner H Jon Benjamin.