Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:23:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan For You Season 4

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 18, 2017, 10:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colacentral

Yeah I agree. I don't find any of it moving or take Nathan seriously as a character - for me it's because the show is pretending that it's being moving and profound which makes it funnier, rather than having the effect of me buying into it. I did like that last one, better on a recent rewatch, but it's not one of the funnier episodes for me (best bits being any time Nathan is corpsing at Bill Gates).

Stuff like the Uber episode and the gas rebate, "you're so dumb," Johnny Depp wanting to sign everything etc made me almost die laughing the first time I saw them, which is an increasingly rare thing for me nowadays. It's those pure shots of funny, the kind that put me in physical pain, that I'll remember it for more than anything else.

I'm pretty devastated it's ended but I did think season 4 was straining a bit - the chat show story episode was more clever than funny for example, and the inclusion of the retrospective episode, as well as the business gimmick being addressed less and less, e.g. the Francis episode, Solomon's love life, the aforementioned chat show story one, suggests that they were straining a bit for new ideas in that format.

Quote from: Utter Shit on October 17, 2018, 08:31:53 PM
Yeah it was on one of the shite channels. Comedy Central I think.

They showed the first season and then stopped. F-f-f-fools.

Moribunderast

Aw, that's really sad but also potentially exciting news. I adore Nathan For You - to the point where it's probably leapfrogged things like Brass Eye, Larry Sanders and various PFFR projects to become my favourite comedy show ever. I could write an essay listing the reasons I love it but I think these threads have them mostly covered. While I'd love more and I'm sad to see it go, I also have 100% faith in Nathan following it up with something great, so I'm very excited to see what he comes up with next. He's of the Chris Morris, PFFR, Jon Glaser mould where I don't know what to expect but I know it will please me.

And let's face it, Finding Frances was an awesome way for the show to go out.

robotam

I bought seasons 1-3 on youtube so they are available that way in the uk. Watched some with my dad and he fucking loved it. Now anytime anyone comes over he sticks on the doink it segment which is a bold choice, I reckon. It's one of the only bits I still find difficult to watch.

wooders1978

Quote from: robotam on October 18, 2018, 04:48:37 PM
I bought seasons 1-3 on youtube so they are available that way in the uk. Watched some with my dad and he fucking loved it. Now anytime anyone comes over he sticks on the doink it segment which is a bold choice, I reckon. It's one of the only bits I still find difficult to watch.
I agree, the Santa bit with the kids is fucking brutal  - the bit with the business owner in NFY gold however, might be my least and most favourite bit

garbed_attic

Quote from: colacentral on October 18, 2018, 05:45:24 AM
Yeah I agree. I don't find any of it moving or take Nathan seriously as a character - for me it's because the show is pretending that it's being moving and profound which makes it funnier, rather than having the effect of me buying into it. I did like that last one, better on a recent rewatch, but it's not one of the funnier episodes for me (best bits being any time Nathan is corpsing at Bill Gates).

heh 'Finding Frances' made me weep like a bairn, but perhaps it's only likely to do that if you have serious hang-ups around a lost love you probably should have long, long gotten over...

Sin Agog

I hope his spell on that Baron Cohen series doesn't mean he's planning to focus on directing.  Not that he'd be bad at it, it just seems too discrete a funnel for his talents.  We love seeing your wings of silver hair, Nathan!

Small Man Big Horse

Apparently season 3 starts on Comedy Central in the UK tonight, for those who haven't seen it I'd recommend doing so as it's amazing stuff.

Small Man Big Horse

The complete series box set has been released in the US and apparently comes with a lot of extras, including deleted scenes, one of which is here: https://www.vulture.com/2018/12/nathan-for-you-season-4-deleted-scene.html

This is the list of extras according to Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Nathan-You-Complete-Fielder/dp/B07HSKMMBW?ascsubtag

Teen Street – Extended First Cut
The Hunk - Deleted Date
"The Web" – Director's Cut
Bill Heath (Bill Gates Impersonator) – Party Extras
Dumb Starbucks – Parody Song Extras
Dumb Starbucks – Full Press Conference
Electronics Store – Courtroom Extras
Summit Ice – 30 Second Ad
The Hero – "Wire Talk"
Massage Parlor - City Warts PSA
Shipping Logistics Company – Shell Ad
Shipping Logistics Company – Blues Smoke Detector Tutorial
The Banzai Predicament – "Tears from Jupiter" Studio Performance
Nathan and Bill go to a football game
Finding Frances – Deleted Scene – Cornelius' Song
AUDIO COMMENTARY WITH NATHAN FIELDER AND MICHAEL KOMAN WITH SPECIAL GUEST SALOMON FLORES
AUDIO COMMENTARY WITH NATHAN FIELDER AND MICHAEL KOMAN WITH SPECIAL GUEST WILLIAM HEATH (BILL GATES IMPERSONATOR)
AUDIO COMMENTARY WITH NATHAN FIELDER AND SPECIAL GUEST JACK GARBARINO

garbed_attic

Done. Mate.

(I may actually just buy this as a Christmas present to myself and wrap it and everything because I've never previously convinced any family member to buy me Nathan For You on DVD for Christmas!)

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: gout_pony on December 11, 2018, 09:43:29 PM
Done. Mate.

(I may actually just buy this as a Christmas present to myself and wrap it and everything because I've never previously convinced any family member to buy me Nathan For You on DVD for Christmas!)

My Sister just messaged me asking what I want for Christmas, and she always gets what I ask for so I should be getting it too, I just hope it arrives in time as I probably won't see her for ages afterwards.

kittens

won't i need an american dvd player for this?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: kittens on December 12, 2018, 12:07:22 AM
won't i need an american dvd player for this?

It is a region 1 dvd so technically, but there are ways around it: http://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2015/07/21/how-to-play-us-dvds-in-the-uk

Ant Farm Keyboard

If you have VLC on your computer, use that instead of the bundled player. It should be enough. Otherwise, there are many DVD players which can be made region-free. It's much trickier with Blu-rays, but that's not the issue here.

Custard

Gutted it's over, but that is one lovely boxset. I already own the first two seasons on imported disc, but the other two haven't been released in physical format until this. And, well, those extras! 9 discs of Nathan. SHUDDUP AND TAKE MY MONEY, as the Americans say

Timothy

Bought it for 20 euros on HDWOW yesterday. Really happy with this boxset. Cant wait to watch it all again.

St_Eddie

NoSleep

It's all about the headline in the screen behind him. I wonder if it's his doing or whether he's just pointing out how it would have been perfect for Nathan For You?

Small Man Big Horse

I think it might be the latter, there's a lot of articles about the company behind it, Nectome, and it's founder Robert McIntyre online so it does seem to exist. I'd love it if it was some insanely complicated set up by Nathan though.

garbed_attic

I got the DVD as a lovely present from my brother and I can say that the commentary with Solomon was endearingly intensely awkward... I thought Nathan was a bit mean to him, but at the same time, he seems to relate to him quite strongly on some level, saying that Solomon reminds him of himself as a younger man.

amoral

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 01, 2019, 11:05:44 AM
I think it might be the latter, there's a lot of articles about the company behind it, Nectome, and it's founder Robert McIntyre online so it does seem to exist. I'd love it if it was some insanely complicated set up by Nathan though.

Yeah I guess I could've done some research, but I preferred to think it was some kind of cryptic message about a future Nathan project. He's been known to use social media in sneaky ways like that.

Utter Shit

The clip of Nathan explaining how his Claw of Shame magic trick will leave him exposed to children, arrested and registered as a sex offender has gone viral, minus the context of it being a comedy show. Some of the reactions from people who think he is a real magician are incredible.

thraxx

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 22, 2019, 03:01:15 PM
The clip of Nathan explaining how his Claw of Shame magic trick will leave him exposed to children, arrested and registered as a sex offender has gone viral, minus the context of it being a comedy show. Some of the reactions from people who think he is a real magician are incredible.

It's going viral now?  Wasn't the episode like 5 years ago?  Can you point me in the direction of these outraged people?

Utter Shit

https://www.facebook.com/Unfamousquotesbyfamouspeople/videos/vb.814350962059420/307033019949912/?type=2&theater

Not sure if that link will work, but that's one video of someone watching it. Twitter is packed with people seeing it for the first time too...the responses are a reasonable mix of NFY fans, people who have worked out it's a joke, and people taking it at face value.

EDIT: Explained better here: https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2019/01/22/this-magic-act-takes-risk-you-never-thought-youd-see-on-tv/

Ferris

I'd never seen this show before - started watching it on a whim on Saturday and just finished the season 4 finale.

It is really, astonishingly good. Still digesting that last episode.

Bryan Cocks

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 27, 2019, 06:33:42 AM
Still digesting that last episode.

As much as I'd love to see another season, I can't think of a more perfect way to end this show.

Ferris

Quote from: Bryan Cocks on March 01, 2019, 04:02:37 PM
As much as I'd love to see another season, I can't think of a more perfect way to end this show.

I got through the lot in 3 days, which I never usually do, but it was so clever and funny and full of ideas I couldn't stop. I ended up buying season 4 because it wasn't available streaming in Canada. I'm going to rewatch it all again in the next few days, but take my time over it. Maybe I'll have a special screening for the finale.

It is legitimately one of my all-time favourite shows, and I'd never heard of it 2 weeks ago. I'm an evangelist for it now.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 01, 2019, 04:06:17 PM
I got through the lot in 3 days, which I never usually do, but it was so clever and funny and full of ideas I couldn't stop. I ended up buying season 4 because it wasn't available streaming in Canada. I'm going to rewatch it all again in the next few days, but take my time over it. Maybe I'll have a special screening for the finale.

It is legitimately one of my all-time favourite shows, and I'd never heard of it 2 weeks ago. I'm an evangelist for it now.

I'd say it's my favourite comedy of all time, maybe that'll change one day but right now I can't think of anything which makes me laugh so much, and it's incredibly inventive and smart stuff.