Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:21:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan For You Season 4

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 18, 2017, 10:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moribunderast

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 01, 2019, 04:21:13 PM
I'd say it's my favourite comedy of all time, maybe that'll change one day but right now I can't think of anything which makes me laugh so much, and it's incredibly inventive and smart stuff.

That's where I land. My go-to "favourites" had long been Brass Eye (I think it's basically perfect) and Larry Sanders but I think NFY is funnier than Sanders, keeps up the quality of Brass Eye but over numerous seasons AND manages to push boundaries like both those shows did, but obviously in different ways. Everyone I've introduced it to has loved it, even people who pretty much don't watch television, and I still don't own the box set DVD because every time I buy it I end up gifting it to somebody because I want everybody to have seen and enjoyed it.

The prospect of a new Nathan Fielder project, whenever it eventuates, has me in the kind of giddy anticipation I only get for PFFR and Chris Morris projects. A similar sensation of not knowing what to expect but being fairly certain it will be exceptional.

rasta-spouse

I did a re-watch of this over xmas and loved it, glad it holds up. But one thing that played on my mind was how it does seem like endless cavalcade of weirdos chosen for their comic potential (note, I'm not using the word 'exploited' as I don't think its quite that). Still, yes, the show is excellent.

Anyway, it got me wondering what happened to some of those guys. Couple of things, the guy from Dumb Starbucks with the struggling cafe has closed down his establishment and that Salomon dude's posted on fb how he's being blackmailed, and Jack Garbarino is into MAGA (all info from reddit). Also now wondering what that guy who ghostwrote The Movement and edited the Diarrhea Times is up to.

Captain Z

Just finished watching all 4 seasons of this. I feel like I should have to apologise to some kind of comedy god for ignoring it all this time.

I was reading the old threads on here at the same time and realised I did dip into one of them right around the time Nathan set up that instagram account and posted pictures with unfortunate reflections - I think that gave me completely the wrong impression of what the show/Nathan was about and put me off. Then a few weeks ago I got a clip recommended on Youtube so decided to finally give it a chance, a couple of clips lead me to the Hollywood gift shop and then the Dumb Starbucks legal advice, and at that point I knew I had to seek out the whole lot.

I felt it dipped ever so slightly around the start of season three although I recognised I was possibly watching them too quickly and slowed down to one or two per week and my enjoyment picked right up again towards the end of S3 and throughout S4. Overall I'd say it was pretty consistent, I often like the daft throwaway ideas as much as the grand whole-episode schemes. Definitely needs another rewatch and I'm going to try and recommend it to a few people.

Ferris

It's great isn't it? I was amazed at the quality and the number of ideas in each episode.

It is so hard to recommend though - "American hidden camera prank show" is a criminal underselling or what it is but I don't know how else to pitch. I have friends who I know would love this but they wont give it an episode or 2 because it doesnt sound like something they'd like.

I'm still an evangelist for it, watching one every few days.

NoSleep

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 15, 2019, 03:08:04 PM
It's great isn't it? I was amazed at the quality and the number of ideas in each episode.

It is so hard to recommend though - "American hidden camera prank show" is a criminal underselling or what it is but I don't know how else to pitch. I have friends who I know would love this but they wont give it an episode or 2 because it doesnt sound like something they'd like.

I'm still an evangelist for it, watching one every few days.

The cameras aren't hidden though, it's more of a reality show. Situationist comedy reality show.

sevendaughters

Comedy of this decade imho, started funny and got better and knew when to vary the format and call time on it. Dumb as hell and smart as anything considered intelligent comedy. Still got an enigma about it too, how much is real & fake, but also who cares? Brilliant performances. So rare. Claw of Shame my favourite one.

ToneLa

This has prompted me going back to it. Loved it up until aboot series 3.

But half the series sitting there unwatched? That's a lot of fine comedy I'm ignoring.

NoSleep

The final episode of season 4 is one of the finest things ever. But probably best arrived at after watching all the other episodes beforehand as a set-up.

sevendaughters

Quote from: NoSleep on March 15, 2019, 03:37:31 PM
The final episode of season 4 is one of the finest things ever. But probably best arrived at after watching all the other episodes beforehand as a set-up.

you're probably right but I screened s4e7 in a filmmaking class once, none of them had ever seen it (ages: 18/19) and they laughed their heads off throughout.

Ferris

I'm enjoying my rewatch anyway. It's tops.

Quick bump, season 4 is being shown on Comedy Central from this Friday, looking forward to the rewatch? (Yes).

Ferris

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on June 10, 2019, 11:12:30 AM
Quick bump, season 4 is being shown on Comedy Central from this Friday, looking forward to the rewatch? (Yes).

Was banging on about it to QDRPHNC the other day, and enjoyed the thought of it so much that I watched it again. "The Richards Tip" and "The Anecdote" my current two faves, though the retrospective is also great, as is "The Hunk" and "The Claw of Shame".

Must-see TV.

Ferris

Did you know the Baja chicken comes with chef-inspired sauces?

#toasty

Just finished watching S4 on Comedy Central for the first time and the finale is up there with the best things I've ever seen on television. It deserves a cinema release. Astounding. Pitch perfect.

Ferris

Quote from: The Boston Crab on July 27, 2019, 03:58:16 PM
Just finished watching S4 on Comedy Central for the first time and the finale is up there with the best things I've ever seen on television. It deserves a cinema release. Astounding. Pitch perfect.

I think they toured it when it first came out? I seem to remember reading about a small cinematic release at a few festivals and a Q&A with Nathan after the screening.

The segment in Dumas, TX was some of the funniest stuff from all 4 seasons, and it's just a complete throwaway gag in this (though won't say what the setup was or why for those who haven't seen it). Must watch it again some time.

Suki Bapswent

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 27, 2019, 04:11:19 PM
Must watch it again some time.

Have been thinking the same recently. It was really something, and in many ways makes me wish he doesn't do any more, even though I'd love to see more, if that makes any sense.

BlodwynPig

Edmonds is planning a remake with the 5MIL settlement

Noel4U

robotam

Comedy Central Uk left out an episode right?
Isn't there one about computer repair?

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: robotam on July 28, 2019, 01:00:51 AM

I've been watching it on Now TV and they've skipped the second episode of season 3, 'Horseback Riding/Man Zone', for some reason.

Ferris

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on July 28, 2019, 03:27:03 AM
I've been watching it on Now TV and they've skipped the second episode of season 3, 'Horseback Riding/Man Zone', for some reason.

No "mother-effing beer"? For shame!

Bleeding Kansas

Quote from: robotam on July 28, 2019, 01:00:51 AM

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on July 28, 2019, 03:27:03 AM

Those episodes are available if you buy it digitally.

There is also a celebration episode in Season 4 as well which didn't seem to be on Now TV.

chveik

YES!!

(I think you should start a new thread for this)

oy vey

The NFY boxset looks tasty. I will treat myself.

Not to hijack the thread too much but (filling the gap until the new series) has anyone come across any real-life Nathan types?

I stumbled onto this chap on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioWcLuMcTBc&t=2017s

After clicking a few vids I can't completely shake the idea he's taking the piss... but nah he's straight.

Suki Bapswent

Fantastic news! I'm kind of glad there'll be no more NFY's, and excited for his next project.

Ferris

robotam

Quote from: Bleeding Kansas on July 28, 2019, 09:08:30 AM
Those episodes are available if you buy it digitally.

Awesome. Thanks very much. Saw this now! Excited for the next show

buntyman

You can buy the complete series on dvd for £!5 on wowhd at the moment. Seems very good value