Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:49:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan For You Season 4

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 18, 2017, 10:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Just started watching this after seeing the reviews on here. I don't think I've laughed so much at a TV show in years. Side-splittingly funny, incredibly clever and utterly stupid. Thanks for leading me to a show I otherwise never would have found.

Ferris

Quote from: Mantis Toboggan on August 16, 2019, 01:15:23 PM
Just started watching this after seeing the reviews on here. I don't think I've laughed so much at a TV show in years. Side-splittingly funny, incredibly clever and utterly stupid. Thanks for leading me to a show I otherwise never would have found.

It maintains quality (and slightly improves, actually) across all 4 seasons. Enjoy!

The Lion King

as evil as it was, I found the dead pets part from series 1 hilarious

Been rewatching after seeing this thread resurface, I'd probably go with series 4 being the best. The first episode in particular, the ridiculousness really goes full throttle

Is there another all-time great comedy show that miraculously continued to keep getting better and better over time? (Excluding short runs like Brass Eye.)

Twit 2

Always Sunny, with the odd dip later on.

Ferris

Quote from: Twit 2 on August 16, 2019, 11:01:25 PM
Always Sunny, with the odd dip later on.

Very good shout. I wasn't as big on the latest 2 seasons but there was still plenty of great stuff in there and they've had an astonishing run

Ferris

Just got tickets to a live Q&A with the man himself! Also a screening of Finding Frances, which will be great.

If anyone on CaB has a question they'd like me to ask, post it here and I'll try and jump him outside.

chveik

where do you find your funny ideas?

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Do you know what it's like to clean up your own mother's piss?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 30, 2019, 12:10:02 AM
Just got tickets to a live Q&A with the man himself! Also a screening of Finding Frances, which will be great.

If anyone on CaB has a question they'd like me to ask, post it here and I'll try and jump him outside.

I left canada too early

Would he be opposed to "Bababooey, bababooey, Nathan Fielder's penis" becoming a thing?

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 30, 2019, 12:10:02 AM

I've been to one of his Q&As and - as you might expect - they're not normal Q&As. If you ask him a question, he'll bring you on stage and interrogate you for 30 minutes. In that time you the audience will learn everything there is to know about you. If something you say bothers an audience member, he'll bring that person up and involve them. It's like watching an episode of his show. On average, I think about 3 questions get asked.

oy vey

^
Another vote for the mother's piss question then.

Custard

A meeting of two of CaB's favourite worlds, as Nathan is on the latest Best Show!

Custard

Tom Scharpling's podcast. 'tis great

colacentral

He's been on it a few times before by the way, if you weren't aware. I think his earlier appearances were in the last couple years of the WFMU show.

oy vey

Re watching at the moment. The Pet Store / Maid Service in season 2 is magnificent. The music cue when the cleaners waddle into the house, marvelous. And the focus group/Wolf return/v-neck argument at the end...

DoesNotFollow

I'm part way into series 3, I enjoy the ludicrous lengths he goes to and it's given me a few big laughs. At times though the awkwaaardness with the business owners/members of the public (whom I assume are unaware) is so much that it's genuinely hard to watch.

the science eel

How can I watch this (apart from bits on youtube)?

Pseudopath

Quote from: the science eel on December 19, 2019, 09:03:22 PM
How can I watch this (apart from bits on youtube)?

Get a 7-day trial of NowTV? All of the episodes are on there (apart from the "Celebration" episode which preceded Season 4, but you're not missing much).

the science eel

Quote from: DoesNotFollow on December 19, 2019, 07:24:24 PM
I'm part way into series 3, I enjoy the ludicrous lengths he goes to and it's given me a few big laughs. At times though the awkwaaardness with the business owners/members of the public (whom I assume are unaware) is so much that it's genuinely hard to watch.

Say it again.

Ferris

Ferris

Well, I gotta say - I preferred watching this without an audience. Finding Frances is (by necessity) based around a darker and more serious subject. It's not just a fat bloke with weather balloons attached riding a horse, or some guys grabbing a mother-effin beer

Some shots of the film are (by design) maudlin, or unsettling, or sad. With a live audience (for whatever reason) these were largely laugh points which I found very odd. It's hard to build a darkly comic story if everyone is chuckling away every other line. Sometimes a lonely, old bloke sundowning can be a cause for narrative concern instead of a cheap laugh.

I still really enjoyed watching this on the big screen as an obsessive NFY fan (the purely Nathan/Staci scenes are still some of the smartest meta-television you'll see anywhere), and some of the audience questions during the Q&A were entertaining (even if more than one was an absolutely banal non-starter).

Will throw to QDRPHNC to opine further as someone who was coming into the showing fresh.

It's absolutely worth watching on your own first.

alan nagsworth

Generally I find people will laugh more when they're part of a crowd, even at things that don't really necessitate said laugh. I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey in the cinema the other night and people were having a right old chuckle at HAL9000 when he starts being nasty. I was transfixed with a nervous grin grin on my face but I didn't feel the urge to laugh at all. There were even a few nostril exhales when he starts singing "Daisy Daisy". That's not funny it's fucking demented and horrible. People seem compelled to broadcast to other people how much they are enjoying something, sometimes to the detriment of the overall experience. In both yours and my cases, this seems to be true. Knobheads.

Same thing happened to me last year at my local cinema's screening of The Exorcist. Wry chuckles and even guffaws throughout the possession sequences. Didn't lend itself to a great viewing experience.

QDRPHNC

Well! That was my first time seeing Finding Frances (at Ferris's (Ferris'?) urging, I watched all of Nathan for You except this one), and I thought it was absolutely charming and delightful. Possibly the funniest episode, definitely the most heartwarming and bittersweet.

As for the laughing... I didn't find it incongruous with anything that was happening on-screen, but then again I hadn't had time to form my own opinions on a given scene. As nagsworth points out, the environment has a lot to do with it, and I'm looking forward to absorbing this a little more deeply when I revisit it at home.

So Ferris, I think it might come down to people interpreting a scene differently (or, in my case, laughing at an absurd detail that has nothing to do with what's being said), plus the effects of viewing it as a group.

But yeah it was great. Nice to see Fielder himself up there on stage, even if the Q&A was a little brief.

Ferris

Yeah not much to the Q&A really, but still nice to have.

I've softened a bit since last night, but I still thought the audience laughter was a bit odd in places - I think Nags is right, people were laughing to demonstrate their familiarity with the film. The only bits that are absolutely played for laughs ("there's mud everywhere! I thought it was bad last time!") got good responses so they weren't completely useless.

I have a photo of someone in a summit ice jacket and a trilby (which was worn for the full 2 hour showing) blocking my view of Nathan which was a neat summary of my opinion on the audience.

Still really enjoyed it, and would absolutely recommend going to any screenings you come across. Just because everyone isn't sitting in the awed silence that I demand, that's no reason to deny yourself NFY on the big screen.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 11, 2020, 01:47:34 PM
I have a photo of someone in a summit ice jacket and a trilby (which was worn for the full 2 hour showing) blocking my view of Nathan which was a neat summary of my opinion on the audience.

That guy who was sitting right down at the front of our section? I noticed the trilby, but didn't clock he was in full NFY cosplay.