Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:46:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan For You Season 4

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 18, 2017, 10:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newbridge

I'm rewatching Season 1 and there's so many glorious bits that I din't remember at all, like Nathan in a giant cigar store Indian spying on Simon in the "Librarian's Quest" arcade machine ogle a woman with large breasts.

Duckula

Anthony Napoli's body language is insane, I can't describe it in words but there's something inherently bizarre about the way he uses his arms.

Repeater

Yep, noticed that myself. In the intro where he's talking about strapping on his seatbelt... very 'trained'.

Ant Farm Keyboard

"It wasn't only Brian's penis that was soft that day. A softer side of his personality seemed to emerge as well."

Quote from: Duckula on September 25, 2017, 09:58:15 AM
Anthony Napoli's body language is insane, I can't describe it in words but there's something inherently bizarre about the way he uses his arms.

I think he's got that thing amateur actors and people not used to being on camera get, where he has the sudden painful awareness of having arms and not being sure what to do with them.

A lot of the time people fold their arms or put them in their pockets - but he knows he can't do that, and can't manage to keep them still either, so instead he gestures like a robot on 20% battery charge.

Also as others have said his scepticism over the holocaust was hilariously and expertly eked out by Nathan (I reckon it was a real moment and Anthony was caught off-guard).

Repeater

Ehm, see to be honest, I think it was unintentional wonderfully appropriate satire. It symbolised, to me, how people can't be seen to be partisan on any subject - even one as abhorrent as the murder of 6 million people. He can't just go along with the narrative and express empathy on the side of the victim, I guess one side of him tells him to try see both sides (i.e. to balance his 'reporting'). It reminds me of like having antifa and nazis on a talk show, both sides should be able to express themselves? Why? For impartiality? On the issue of racism and white supremecy? That's not just where were headed, it's where we are. Look at Farage on Question Time, my friend. Anyway lol.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Old Gold Tooth on September 25, 2017, 03:13:10 PM
Also as others have said his scepticism over the holocaust was hilariously and expertly eked out by Nathan (I reckon it was a real moment and Anthony was caught off-guard).

Nah, scripted I reckon. His lines answers were too perfect.

thugler

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 27, 2017, 01:20:48 PM

Yeah 'historical novels' gave it away for me

newbridge

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 27, 2017, 01:20:48 PM

Having just rewatched "The Hunk" episode, I don't think the lines are scripted but I think they coach him on how to act, such as "Pushback on everything Nathan says."

Also remember that the unscripted lines on this show always seem so perfect because they film way more than they edit into the final episode.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: Duckula on September 25, 2017, 09:58:15 AM

Yeah, there was something awkward about the way he would do the straight-to-camera bits for me.  I thought maybe they were running the autocue a bit fast or something.  Assuming there was an autocue.  I don't know too much about TV behind-the-scenes stuff.

For me, it didn't look like simple nerves.  It could just be that I am used to watching the best takes, rather than the worst.

Dr Rock

Yes he was awkward, but I got the impression he was totally in on all the jokes and acted the way he was supposed to, awkwardly. Could be wrong.

Dr Rock

Quote from: newbridge on September 27, 2017, 02:45:46 PM
Having just rewatched "The Hunk" episode, I don't think the lines are scripted but I think they coach him on how to act, such as "Pushback on everything Nathan says."

Also remember that the unscripted lines on this show always seem so perfect because they film way more than they edit into the final episode.

Not in the actual show, but specifically how Napoli acted and what he said in the Celebration Special.

thraxx

Napoli was at least coached and probably scripted. He must know that The Hunk was a comedy show and was playing along here. I' dagree he may have felt uncomfortable and out of water on this type of show, i think there's a question over how straight they played Napoli and that he was not quick enough to go along with the unscripted bits, of which the holocaust was one of the best.

I have a confession though. I didn't really like the special. One or two belly laughs and a couple of cringes, but i felt overall it felt flat.  But maybe that was part of the joke?

RenegadeScrew

I agree with Dr Rock's side of the house, the holocaust bit and the other bit where Napoli brings up the threesome have to be scripted albeit in a sort of Curb fashion.  Something like "bring up the threesome and explain it was a mother and daughter".

The threesome bit in particular doesn't make sense as he gets a chance to say it is two women at the end of the hunk episode anyway.

The ghost realtor.  Is she a bit daft, or trying to get some showtime in order to help get her own reality show?  I mean, it doesn't really matter as the spirit dude was being genuine.  But I just wonder if the show could really go over people's heads to such an extent, especially as it goes out on Comedy Central?

I've not shown it to loads of people, but all have smirked/laughed on the very first watch at "really good grades" in the intro.  It's hardly subtle, to us at least.

--

Anyway, it was brilliant if a little different to a normal episode.  They ring humour out of so many places, in so many ways.  The sequence of emotional bits culminating in the hotel gang-bang was simple but so brilliant.

I think Fielder (or the team behind the show) could pretty much make anything and it'd be funny. 

"A woman's body is gorgeous, but sometimes we don't want that, you know, for business."

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 27, 2017, 06:47:08 PM
Yes he was awkward, but I got the impression he was totally in on all the jokes and acted the way he was supposed to, awkwardly. Could be wrong.

I agree he was in on some jokes, but I was talking about his awkwardness in the bits without Nathan, when he is standing up in a different room.  There are only a few of those bits.  One is the very start, where the camera stupidly pulls back and then up the way and he mocks putting on a seatbelt and point at it.  Another is at 24.40 (before and after the ad break) or so when he introduces the Summit Ice bit.  Those bits are brilliant. "Wow".

I think the other bits (with Nathan) are played too well to be completely scripted, but way too ridiculous to just be Napoli's random input.  I just can't believe he'd feel the need to point out it was a mother and daughter threesome.  He is kinda smirking at points as well. Eg. The "celebration" bit around 17 mins in.

On a worrying note, Napoli's line around 17mins "I mean, that's great, it's a great thing, celebration" has strong overtones of the Bill Gates impressionist for me.

Noodle Lizard

Just to say, the dermatologist I saw once four years ago was on that special (he never claimed to specialize in tattoo removal).  Still get e-mails from his office wishing me a happy birthday, Merry Christmas and asking "are you SURE you don't have skin cancer?"

newbridge

It's back!

"It was clear right away we had some work to do..."

newbridge

newbridge

That was an all-time great. I love the Rube Goldberg-esque episodes.

brat-sampson

A glorious return. It just kept going deeper. It's the scale of these episodes that's mind-blowing. How every small snag or consideration will warrant a solution worthy of an entire episode of any other show, but then N4Y just goes and throws five into one ep, giving them only a cursory amount of screen time. It's so dense.

Ron Superior

Quote from: thraxx on September 27, 2017, 07:05:47 PM
Napoli was at least coached and probably scripted. He must know that The Hunk was a comedy show and was playing along here. I' dagree he may have felt uncomfortable and out of water on this type of show, i think there's a question over how straight they played Napoli and that he was not quick enough to go along with the unscripted bits, of which the holocaust was one of the best.

I reckon this too, he was in on it and the holocaust bit was, at worst, him trying to do a bit that didn't really work.  The Salomon interview cemented it for me, that it had to be a bit.

In other news, Anthony has a fascinating YouTube channel!
An intriguing comedy short: https://youtu.be/jxbIEYsXdtI
A match.com ad which I can't work out is supposed to be a joke or serious: https://youtu.be/8P7dxkFS6HA
Don't know what the fuck this is: https://youtu.be/RqCgLc-fyXE

Old Anthony is becoming pretty a pretty intriguing chap to me.

brat-sampson

Quote from: Ron Superior on September 29, 2017, 08:43:58 AM
I reckon this too, he was in on it and the holocaust bit was, at worst, him trying to do a bit that didn't really work.  The Salomon interview cemented it for me, that it had to be a bit.

In other news, Anthony has a fascinating YouTube channel!
An intriguing comedy short: https://youtu.be/jxbIEYsXdtI

Ok, so I watched the short, got the bit early on, and the second bag the guy essentially paid for anyway, but the best part is that according to the channel, it's clearly just an extended version of a much tighter 30-second bit from two years earlier that does the same joke better and as part of an ad?

Utterly bizarre.

selectivememory

Yeah, that was effin great. That impersonator clowning around as Kramer in the rehearsal had me doubled over. That guy he got to change his name was an interesting character as well; I loved how he kept agreeing enthusiastically to everything (the name change, being handcuffed, holding hands) after showing a bit of resistance at first. And then there's that odd but quite sweet ghost writer guy. Loved their awkward little conversation "are you single?".

And the guy who owned the restaurant! Where does he find these people?

Quote from: brat-sampson on September 29, 2017, 07:33:24 AM
A glorious return. It just kept going deeper. It's the scale of these episodes that's mind-blowing. How every small snag or consideration will warrant a solution worthy of an entire episode of any other show, but then N4Y just goes and throws five into one ep, giving them only a cursory amount of screen time. It's so dense.

Just quoting this in general agreement. It's so impressive how many ideas they can pack into 20 minutes.

Caprilusa

I want nothing more than to hold in my hand a copy of The Diarrhea Times.

BritishHobo

I loved that the guy who changed his name seemed happy to do anything as long as he felt the logic behind it existed. And the impersonator leaping into defence of Richards regarding the racial outburst thing. And the fucking Nick and Norah review being the top story.

Fuck I've missed this. Every episode rammed with the wonderful and the unexpected.

RenegadeScrew

Great stuff.  So much in the episode.  Don't even get to see Michael Richards reaction that Nathan has left the hotel and handcuffs!

The negotiation to 1001 dollars was so silly.

The impersonators first attempt at being Richards and acting like Kramer was incredible.

colacentral

"The number in my head was 1400. But you could make me a counter offer of say 1200..."

"Okay..."

"Anything over a thousand would make me feel like I'd left a winner."

"So 1001?"

"Yeah, I'll do 1001."

Amazing.

Steven

Wasn't the bloke who changed his name obviously on 'substances' when he met Fielder to arrange the 'I won't steal the 10,000' once it's in my account' scene? Considering his presumed addiction which resulted in him considering the 'change my name advert for quick cash' scenario he definitely would have without The Chain being employed.