Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:49:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone still play GTA Online?

Started by Barry Admin, July 19, 2017, 01:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

I'm toying with the idea, here. Just moving it into my Xbox HD at the mo. I'm just not sure I can really put up with the agonising load times though.

It feels like a really, really hard game to get back into. I adored it when it first launched, and played the absolute shit out of it... then just hit the wall.

I do want to get that jet bike, though, and try out the gunrunning stuff.

Is it all a masssive grind for credits? I've got way too much to play at the minute.

BeardFaceMan

I hop on now and again to try the new game modes but I never get very far because you really need to be playing with other people. From an enjoyment perspective and a gameplay one. It seems the only way to earn money is to have money to start with, it can be hard earning your first few millions and all the new stuff is really expensive so it can be daunting to get back into. Still good to fire up now and again for a few hours to cause a bit of mayhem though. I just hope for the sequel the microtransactions arent so heavily weighted towards  the pay-to-win model. Alrhough saying that I do like the system they have where you have to be a certain level to unlock stuff so it doesnt matter how many shark cards you buy you're not buying that minigun until you actually play the game, hit level 130 and earn it you spoilt entitled twat.

Barry Admin

Hmm just not sure what to do. I understand it's massive grind now, which is how a lot of games are going now. Keep the playerbase engaged using mindless tasks, so they hopefully buy microtransactions.

I have 1.73 mil and am toying with buying a bunker here, and getting that wee jet bike. I just don't know though. Those are all my profits left over from the early days of the 360 car-selling glitch.

BeardFaceMan

The last I remember we were gearing up to go to war with Limmy, having a load of CaBbers in a lobby doing heists and missions and stuff, good times. That's how the game needs to be played really, it's good on your own and you can get far doing it but it really comes alive when youre with people on headsets. I think as far as multi player games go, this is by far the most rewarding for playing in an actual communicating team, so much fun. And Destinys raids are a close second.

Also, the racing in GTA is fucking superb, it could be a game on its own with its assortment of vehicles and game modes. The only thing that spoils it is that its far too easy to fishtail people and most races are won on the first corner. If they could fix that I'd never stop playing it.

Barry Admin

Oh man, I forgot all about the proposed war with Limmy!

I'm enjoying this Overtime Rumble mode at the minute, I really want to try the crazy stunt courses and stuff, even though I'm the worst driver ever.

Overtime rumble is a great way to make cash. If you're on the winning side you're likely pulling in ~$60,000 from my experience.

I've got back into GTA this week having not had a telly for a bit. The coke missions were a grind, but the odd supply run here and there and back into the jobs for extra cash means I too have about 1.7m to play with. Not sure whether to sink it into bunkers or buy an insurgent and carry on grinding.

Barry Admin

Have you done the biker stuff? I haven't done any of these businesses so am looking to see what might be best for a quick profit.

I love that Overtime Rumble map where the landing pads are all on a big downward slope - really fun game mode.

momatt

I still like to mess around on GTAV on my PS3.
Has everyone moved onto the newer consoles now?

Personally Barry, I'd swerve the biker stuff if I could go again. Unlike CEO stuff, it seems impossible to get people to join your gang and you end up doing soul destroying supply missions on your own, then try to find an empty session to sell the products. If you had a full gang willing to resupply with you, it would be much less boring.

Perhaps didn't help that my bikers clubhouse and coke business just under the lake by Chiliad, and all the resupply missions were downtown.

I'd perhaps suggest a bunker, which is my next port of call. The one on the west of the map for about $1.6 in all likelihood. Going to try to get up to $3m first and have either the Kuruma or Insurgent as a bare minimum though.

Barry Admin

Quote from: momatt on July 20, 2017, 10:24:48 AM
I still like to mess around on GTAV on my PS3.
Has everyone moved onto the newer consoles now?

Yeah, I bought t again for my Xbone when I was working and could afford to do so. I knew I'd get back into multiplayer at some point. Will also definitely replay single player too. It's started to date a bit, graphically, but is still quite impressive at times. Particularly with its sheer scope.

I'm having so much fun with Overtime Rumble today, having a good laugh at some of it. Crazy game mode, great stuff!

Barry Admin

drummersaredeaf, thanks for the advice. Bunker is very tempting, especially if I could grind enough to make a jet bike while it's on sale. I was thinking of import/export, it seems good for a mostly solo player and doesn't sound as much of a grind. Bunkers sound like a mega grind, from what I've picked up. I'll keep grinding double cash in Overtime Rumble and think about it some more, I guess.

hedgehog90

Had a great time last night with overtime rumble. Once that got dull I did a heist with a buddy.
Always fun getting to know a group of people over the course of a heist.
Looking forward to screwing about some more tonight.

Bhazor

Seen a ton of videos about it of guys having a right laugh. But I've tried a few times and just couldn't make heads or tails of it. Log in, 5 randos spread across the entire map, no missions or events or games, spend 40 minutes trying to find someone, hit by a car, end.

Sadly GTA 5 is like 40gigs and I cannae be arsed with that download.

kittens

how much is it for ps4 please i'd like to play with you guys. most fun i every had in it was playing with all the cab gang so if we can get that going again it would be wikkid

mobias

Rockstar do paint an amazing picture of the fun that can be had with GTA Online but the truth is unless you're in one of their active crews then its always a total random experience mostly defined but massive loading times and not finding many people to play with. Even after GTA Online was first released and far more people were playing it I still had a more satisfying gaming experience playing GTAIV's far more simple online modes back in the day on the PS3.

GTA Online is built on fairly creaky last gen code. I think they've done a good job keeping it going as long as they have but its quite clear they're making it up as they go along.

I popped my GTAV disc in the other day to see what it was like playing on the PS4 Pro and I was surprised by how clunky it all seems. Bits of it are a still very well done but it seems quite old coming off playing the likes of Witcher 3 or any of todays games. It is a last gen game really of course.

Quote from: kittens on July 21, 2017, 08:16:24 PM
how much is it for ps4 please i'd like to play with you guys. most fun i every had in it was playing with all the cab gang so if we can get that going again it would be wikkid

For the game? Its half price at the moment for £24.99 on the PSN store.

Barry Admin

Fucking hell, people are shite. Hours wasted trying to do heists with randoms who were deliberately fucking them up for badness. Not a goddamn penny did I make. Finally going to finish one and some cunt jumped out of the helicopter right as were about to surface on the beach.

Barry Admin

I put 3.1 million into becoming a CEO, as that seems the best way to make money (import/export). As I'm a huge fan of flying choppers, I basically just want a Buzzard now I can land on top of my offices. But it looks like I have to grind another 1 to 2 million to get a vehicle warehouse. Trying to see what I can do as CEO in the meantime. It's all very interesting, so many changes!

And I'm so glad to have finally unlocked the heavy sniper, that was my #1 goal when I played on 360, then I got bored of the game about one or two levels away from actually unlocking it. Love getting a good sniper spot, covering my ass with sticky bombs and proximity mines, and shooting the shit out of other players.

Fishfinger

I/E can definitely be very lucrative, but it can also be tough to successfully source and sell the cars in populated sessions, where you have a target plastered on your back.

The Buzzard's on sale until Tuesday - $1.3m discounted from $1.75m - so it might be a good idea to pick it up before the I/E vehicle warehouse if you have the money. As a CEO, when you're outside you can spawn it next to you free of charge, and you can also exit your office in it for $500 a pop (no need to climb up to the helipad). It makes quick and relatively easy work of the Sightseer and Headhunter VIP missions (arguably the best ones), which provide around $23k each, and they can be done in invite only sessions too in-between other things.

You'll get shot down often in public sessions, particularly since the Gunrunning update, but the Buzzard's still the best all-round armed chopper for speed, cost and functionality. The Oppressor bike has better survivability, but you'd need millions more to get the bunker, MOC and vehicle bay that are required to properly upgrade it.

Barry Admin

Thanks very much, really appreciate the tips! I didn't know the Buzzard was on sale, I need to grind another million for that then. I am a crap driver so I guess import/export is gonna be a challenge. Especially as R* seem to have done away with the solo lobby glitches people were using.

Beardy is gonna be my associate hopefully, so sounds like we can make some quick cash in invite-only lobbies then, great! So far the only use I've had from my CEO office is to exit to the roof and snipe people :-)

Fishfinger

Good luck! I'd help but I'm on PS4.

mobias

I still find it bonkers that the super yachts in GTA Online cost somewhere in the region of £70's worth of real world money. More if you pimp your yacht out.

Fishfinger

Quote from: mobias on July 22, 2017, 06:58:03 PM
I still find it bonkers that the super yachts in GTA Online cost somewhere in the region of £70's worth of real world money. More if you pimp your yacht out.

Shark Cards are appalling value for money, yeah. I don't have a problem with the in-game price of the yachts themselves, or the golden plane come to that. They're clearly intended to be luxury items for the rich.

mobias

Quote from: Fishfinger on July 23, 2017, 03:16:18 PM
Shark Cards are appalling value for money, yeah. I don't have a problem with the in-game price of the yachts themselves, or the golden plane come to that. They're clearly intended to be luxury items for the rich.

Last time I heard Rockstar had made well North of half a billion dollars from the sale of shark cards. Its bonkers. They've taken one of the most horrible aspects of modern living - earning loads of cash so you can buy cool stuff to show off to your mates - and made it the back bone of the game.

hedgehog90

It's nuts.

http://segmentnext.com/2016/10/05/gta-online-revenue-exceeded-700-million/

I've asked loads of people and I haven't found a single one who admits to buying them.
I suspect the majority of purchases are done by a troubled minority who have no sense with money and sink hundreds if not thousands of $ so they can buy another big car with shooty guns on it.
Tragic.

mobias

Quote from: hedgehog90 on July 23, 2017, 06:19:03 PM
It's nuts.

http://segmentnext.com/2016/10/05/gta-online-revenue-exceeded-700-million/

I've asked loads of people and I haven't found a single one who admits to buying them.

No one will admit to buying them but I think a majority of people do. Rockstar making 700 million is more than just kids and a troubled minority spending money on them.

hedgehog90

Considering the type of person that would buy a fake GTA Online credit card, I think it's more than likely that if they have the lack of sense to buy one, then they're more than likely to buy a load of them over a period of time.
By that theory I can see how a small minority of the player-base are responsible for most of those profits.

Barry Admin

Just got my Buzzard, yeowwww. Was trying out some more of the VIP missions; Executive Search is very good... really just hide and seek, got really tense in the last couple of minutes but manages to stay hid.  Sightseeing mission gets a bit boring, but yeah, good for quick cash.

Now to grind for the warehouse so I can do this 10 10 12 trick to get only high end motors, and see how I get on with that.

Just thrilled to have my Buzzard though, finally.

Rizla

I'm on a fair bit, Ps4, as "Rizalah". If I'm a-grindin' then I'll set my MTU low and do some solo vehicle export, sometimes with the cargobob to mix it up, although it's more fun when you wait by the bridge and use proximity mines and whatnot to kill the late noughties synth-rock band they send after you. Crates and biker stuff only seem worthwhile if you have a couple of chums. I recently bought a bunker which is a good money maker if you just buy the supplies and sell up when the product bar is at 1/5th - there's no bonus for selling everything at once, like with the warehouse. Couple of hundred grand profit each time.

Any other PS4 ers into crewing up? I haven't done any heists or special vehicle work yet, in fact there's probably loads of stuff I've not tried yet.

Has anyone come across the Rolf Harris crew?

Beagle 2

How easy is it for two mates to get together and do missions on this thing? My pal is badgering me to do it, but we're both clueless, I've only ever really messed about with stunt races on the online. We tried the other night by trying to go into the same missions but they just filled up with other people before he could enter. Now he's talking about having to get up to level five or something before you can do it. I've got about twenty minutes a week to play video games, it all seems like a fucking faff.

Barry Admin

It's actually easy enough, I'm just trying to remember the process. I have always had "matchmaking" set to closed in my options so it doesn't get filled with randoms unless I want it to/until I'm ready.

Try going to Online > options and set matchmaking to closed. Then call a contact for a mission, accept it and invite your friend. I think that's how I do it, can't check at the mo. Once that mission ends you can both vote on the next one.

Did some missions last night were you get to ride the Opressor jet bike. Oh man, it's even more fun than I inagined! Really enjoying the stunt races too, especially the rocket voltic and the quad bike that turns into a jet ski.