Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:00:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Destiny 2

Started by Barry Admin, July 19, 2017, 05:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Half an hour till the beta starts on Xbox. Had a mild freak-out at possibly not being able to cancel the pre-order, but got it all sorted. So aye, might as well give it a go. Anyone else?

I loved the gunplay a lot in the first game, and Vault Of Glass was one of my all-time favourite gaming experiences, so I might as well check it out, even though Bungie are filthy cunts.

Thursday

I'm sure I'll get it, not bothering with the beta though.

Only thing that's making me pause is whether to get it on PC or PS4. Since PC would mean you'd be able to play with Xbox people as well. Really wish Sony would get over themselves and let it all be open.

But then that's a 2 month wait and my specs are starting to fall behind.

BeardFaceMan

I'd get on the PS4, otherwise you're gonna be waiting a year for 'exclusive' content. Fucking hell, timed exclusives annoy the piss out of me, just pure greed and doesnt benefit gamers in any way. As you rightly say neil, a bunch of filthy cunts.

Barry Admin

I wasn't keen at first, but didn't realise there was a strike and some multiplayer. Started to get into it, but I just dunno. My main issues are that it has an absolutely garbage frame rate again, and no "bumper jumper tactical" control setup. So you can jumping to the bumper, but still can't put melee on the B button where it should be. This really fucks me up for Zombies and other games.

The strike did look great, and was the same old same old, very Destiny.

I know you so get used to 30fps, but I hate it, and I hate having to do so. I tried to jump on to do the Blops 3 daily there and I had to turn it off as my eyes were totally fucked up from Destiny.

They seem to have a "search and destroy" mode in Crucible now.

Barry Admin

Bump. It's out, and I'm jonesing for a fix. Anyone get it?

Hard to make head or tail of the reaction so far, seems fairly positive. It's got one of those hype-train reddits where anything that's not glowingly positive gets downvoted like crazy though, and I'm seeing talk of micro transaction cuntiness... single use shaders? Come on, Bungie. I think that and the PlayStation favouritism means I should just forgot about this game.

Lee Van Cleef

I enjoyed what I played of the first one, but I think I'm past these types of games that require 100+ hour time investments. As engaging as it could be, it takes precious time away from different gaming experiences I'd rather have.

Did play the beta though and I thought it felt good.

Mobius

Gonna go pick it up after work. I love Destiny, find it relaxing just wandering around doing patrols and stuff.

Be nice to have bigger zones, more varied missions and all that.

Thursday

Was going to wait for the PC version, because of the better framerate, but I caved because of the wait. Seems good so far, even if you're not into the time investment, it seems like you've got a good FPS campaign as well this time round.

Mobius

Dumped a few hours into this. If you like Destiny 1, you'll love Destiny 2. It's just more of the same but better. More varied missions, lots of little fixes like no more going into orbit to go elsewhere. Single Player / Campaign stuff is loads more interesting

It's the same game, but improved in many tiny aspects that just make it better. It's what Destiny 1 ought to have been. There's a map that tells you in advance events are happening!

Lee Van Cleef

Quote from: Mobius on September 09, 2017, 02:04:44 PM
Dumped a few hours into this. If you like Destiny 1, you'll love Destiny 2. It's just more of the same but better. More varied missions, lots of little fixes like no more going into orbit to go elsewhere. Single Player / Campaign stuff is loads more interesting

It's the same game, but improved in many tiny aspects that just make it better. It's what Destiny 1 ought to have been. There's a map that tells you in advance events are happening!

The new shader system looks shit though!

Not that I give a crap, cosmetics are scum to me!

Thursday

Finished the campaign last night, huge improvement over the first game.

Now the game begins!

Shay Chaise

This is the first PS4 game I've bought in six months or so. I loved the original game and yet I never did any of the proper endgame stuff. I did one Raid. One. I just loved the world and the music and the feel of the thing. Crucible was by far my most played mode. I bought every expansion and did about a dozen missions, max, after I got TTK and never even touched RoI. I don't really know what I did in the game, just Crucible.

This week's Computer Game Show really sold it to me though and my bros and a couple of mates are on it too, so I'll see how I feel after the campaign. I'm not really arsed about FPS, tend to tire of them quickly and have no particular ability or understanding but I guess this will be my one and only FPS for the next couple of years.

Barry Admin

Think I dodged a bullet with this. I was sooooo close to caving and getting it, but couldn't afford it after vet bills anyway. I've seen people complaining that the feel (especially the jumps) is worse, and the whole thing is more for casuls.

Then I just saw this headline:

"Destiny 2 players are running out of things to do, and that's great"

Firstly, vomit. Every cunt has to talk like that now. Secondly, seems like they've gone too far in terms of making it less of a grind, and there's apparently a lot of people kicking off that they're bored shitless, and don't have anything left to do.

Probably get it when it's down to £15 - if it ever is - and by that point they will be rolling the DLC out. Then again, it's the kind of game where you really want to be in from the start. Oh I dunno.

Shay Chaise

I caved, to play with my brothers, and after two weeks of having turned it on once, my PS4 has stopped working. I got the digital version obviously.

Thursday

Once again though, I feel alienated by the way people think you have to play Destiny. Once you've done all the main stuff, just dip in and out, no need to sign in every day, it's fine. Then in a month or two, there'll be some change or something added or some event that makes it fun to dive back in again.

"I've put a 100 hours into this game but there's just nothing to do".

FUCKING STOP THEN YOU TWAT. Take a break, play other games.

Barry Admin

I totally get why you'd think that, but it sounds shite to me. In fact, it's the sort of box-ticking list completion bullshit that tends to put me off games altogether. One of the reasons I stopped playing Gwent for the last few months is I hated the fucking routine of having to play a certain amount of games per day just to get my daily reward. I can't deal with commitment! :-)

Destiny 1 was a grind for sure, but somehow they managed to keep you playing even after you'd done your dailies and weeklies. It's a tough balance they seem to be trying to strike now, appealing to casuals and hardcore gamers at the same time.

Thursday

I mean, I do think there's a lot that could be improved with the post-game at the moment, but it's also early days. And I just think it's a more a problem of the gamer attitude of wanting to get everything done and wanting to be the first to do it... but there's just no need. It's game that's going to be updated for 3 years (granted with the caveat that you're going to need to be willing to buy the expansions to get much out of it after a certain point) We've got the blueprint for how this game's lifecycle is going to go now that we've had Destiny 1. And yet people still want to rinse every scrap of content from the game as quickly as possible.

Anyway, it feels to me like there's a lot more to do than year 1 Destiny had at this point.

Mobius

Yeah I think there's enough to do. There's nothing missing that Destiny 1 had, really. You run Strikes, Events, Raids and Nightfalls... dismantle items and collect rewards in the hope they're 1 better than what you're wearing. That's Destiny..

I'm at 280 light and have been grinding away night after night. Slow progress, but I haven't got a mic and really can't be arsed arranging nightfall/raid groups.

It's easy to jump between planets, the fast travel is great so there's never nothing to do and you're gaining items and tokens at a good rate.

They've just added factions, and judging from the size of the social hub there'll be more stuff to come. Some more strikes (and heroic strikes) would be nice

BeardFaceMan

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is something that was missing from the first game, which is in-game matchmaking for raids and the like. For all the banging on they did about Destiny being a social game it was incredibly hard to get a team together at the tower, all you could do was send random invites to people and hoped they accept. It was really shitty that you had to put down the game and go to a LFG site to find a team for PoE or raids, how is that social? Too many people don't know about LFG sites and the argument that you don't get any idiots like you do in normal (crucible, strikes etc) in-game matchmaking just isn't true, on LFG sites you're just as likely to encounter idiots. It just seemed incredibly broken to me, that such a huge game with a huge fanbase had to rely on 3rd party websites in order to be able to complete a lot of the endgame, if you're a single player like me the lack of in-game matchmaking options means you just couldn't do a lot of the stuff. I've seen a bit about the new social spaces in D2, are they any better for getting a fireteam together or do you still need to go to LFG sites?

Thursday

Quote from: Mobius on October 01, 2017, 01:57:47 AM
Yeah I think there's enough to do. There's nothing missing that Destiny 1 had, really. You run Strikes, Events, Raids and Nightfalls... dismantle items and collect rewards in the hope they're 1 better than what you're wearing. That's Destiny..

I'm at 280 light and have been grinding away night after night. Slow progress, but I haven't got a mic and really can't be arsed arranging nightfall/raid groups.

It's easy to jump between planets, the fast travel is great so there's never nothing to do and you're gaining items and tokens at a good rate.

They've just added factions, and judging from the size of the social hub there'll be more stuff to come. Some more strikes (and heroic strikes) would be nice

Yeah the problem Destiny get's into at this point is that the the only way to get really good new gear is Nightfall/Raid/Trials which I do have a clan group I can sometimes arrange stuff with (we attempted the raid last week but didn't get far) but it's at the point where regular activities don't really help. It needs a middle ground so after a few regular strikes you're likely to get something slightly better than what you've got.

It's confusing because they've taken out "heroic strikes" but then that's because as I understand a regular strike will just scale to everyone's level now anyway.

Actually clan rewards has been a big help in getting better new gear for me.

sanchopanza

Can't pin down a decent raid team to do leviathan or weekend trials.  If anyone is a man down and are looking for a regular player on most nights please add bossrossi

Mobius

Thank god the gameplay on this is really satisfying and the shooting feels nice because fuck me you don't half do the same thing over and over and over again.

I understand grind as I've played MMORPGs for years but when you end up dismantling 99% of the items you pick up, and then hand in the parts you've dismantled for rewards which you then just dismantle... you wonder what the fucking point is.

BeardFaceMan

Looks like we dodged a bullet not getting this Neil -

https://kotaku.com/bungie-changes-destiny-2-xp-system-after-players-discov-1820728952

Oh, you decided your system of artificially increasing the grind (without telling the players) to get players to spend real money wasn't working? And you decided this a few days after players found out what you were secretly doing and kicked off a shitstorm? Utter cunts.

Thursday

It's really shitty, but it's at least only for cosmetic stuff that I personally don't care about.

Barry Admin

The first DLC launched, and looks like a mess. They're still locking out old content like Nightfalls if you don't have the DLC, and it seems they've gone further this time, and locked out the Prestige Raid? Reports are underwhelming in general. Every time I think I want to get it, I remember about the PlayStation exclusivity amongst other things, and think "fuck Bungie." Even the normally gushing and sycophantic subreddit seems to hate D2 now. It's a goddamn shame how terrible Bungie have become.

Thursday

Honestly, I understand why it all seems bad, but I'm just not bothered for the most part.

I don't know what people expect. Destiny is basically a subscription game where you pay a one lump sum every so often. We know how the model of this game works out now. It's not great that you get locked out of stuff, if you're not paying for the DLC, but then the same thing happened last time. I do think it's partly excusable, because of trying to balance how the new stuff changes various aspects of the game. They definitely go to far with it, but why are people surprised?

I'm being an apologist here, but I just don't get it.

Barry Admin

Now they've fucked everyone off with their Xmas event. I still long to get this at times, but read the reddit and usually come round. It's actually amazing to see 1) how built around pushing microtransactions Destiny has become and 2) the sort of insidious psychological bullshit that's becoming so commonplace now.

There's really weird stuff going on with the whole game. Like people have figured out that there's a hidden Juggler modifier, so ammo only drops mostly for your secondary. Why though? No one has ever liked Juggler.

Then with the Xmas event, you have them doing a load of shady shit. Another way this impacts on your whole QOL in game, is that they give you very restricted vault/inventory space for shaders and suchlike. There are two ways you can earn stuff in the Xmas loot pool, but they've actually made it so that the items then get separate inventory space, and different rewards when breaking them down. I'm too exhausted to fully explain why this is a problem, but the basics are that the game is basically purposely making things unpleasant for you, so you are incentivised to spend money.

And the great thing about Destiny was earning loot, not buying it. But now all the best stuff seemingly gets put to the store, and of course, a lot of it is limited edition, so you feel you HAVE to get it.

Ach, it's all just really depressing. It should be one of the best franchises in all of gaming, but it's all been dumbed down to appeal to casuals and whales.

Thursday

But it's basically just cosmetic stuff. They are pushing eververse more, but that's because there's so much more customisation options than there were in Destiny 1. This is so frustrating because I agree they're doing some shady things, but it's so overblown,  the community is insane. It hasn't impacted my enjoyment of the game at all.

Barry Admin

I kind of figured you'd pop up to give the "it's only cosmetic stuff" reply again. Fair enough if you don't care about cosmetics, but a lot of people do, particularly in a loot-based MMO-style shooter, where cosmetics are traditionally a big part of it. They're meant to show your achievements and milestones - you earn them, ideally.

I also don't see how "well, they locked off content in the first game, too", is meant to make that particular approach fine again now.

Fans wanted this game to be better. They didn't want to have to say "yeah, it's shit, but they were almost this shit last time round anyway, so why be surprised that they've got even worse?"

BeardFaceMan

Doesnt matter that its just cosmetic, its the underhanded way they go about it. If its just cosmetic and it doesn't matter then why not do what games like Titanfall 2 do, which is allow you to buy the skin you want instead of gambling for it? As has been mentioned with the Star Wars games, these really are just fancy gambling simulators, the whole design is to get you to spend as much as you can or cant afford, these type of lootboxes benefit the gamer in no way whatsoever but rather try and take advantage of gamers addictive and completeist nature. And as Neil says, the idea of buying loot in a game thats all about collecting loot is fucking mental. Gamers want to earn their stuff to show off, not buy it.