Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:45:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Destiny 2

Started by Barry Admin, July 19, 2017, 05:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

Well they've gone back on locking it off the nightfall raid at least, and I wasn't saying it was fine, I was saying I didn't know why people were surprised.

And you do still earn cosmetic stuff, it really doesn't feel that different to what it was before to me. Again, it doesn't make the approach fine, but Destiny 1 pushed microtransactions on you in the same way during the Halloween and winter events.

BeardFaceMan

People are not suprised though are they, this time theyre outraged. They were suprised the first time, now they're angry that they're trying the same shit again. And the stuff they're pulling now is far, far worse than what they did with D1. Thats what happens when people say "it doesnt matter" or "it doesn't affect me", they keep pushing and pushing to see what they can get away with and what people will put up with. It seems unless it affects someone directly then they dont give a shit about the bigger picture and they'll put up with a lot. Well, I'm alright, mate...

Paul Calf

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on December 22, 2017, 07:01:50 PM
Doesnt matter that its just cosmetic, its the underhanded way they go about it. If its just cosmetic and it doesn't matter then why not do what games like Titanfall 2 do, which is allow you to buy the skin you want instead of gambling for it? As has been mentioned with the Star Wars games, these really are just fancy gambling simulators, the whole design is to get you to spend as much as you can or cant afford, these type of lootboxes benefit the gamer in no way whatsoever but rather try and take advantage of gamers addictive and completeist nature. And as Neil says, the idea of buying loot in a game thats all about collecting loot is fucking mental. Gamers want to earn their stuff to show off, not buy it.

The best stuff in the game is earned, not bought. Players can tell the difference between earned and bought loot. The Prestige Raid shaders, ornaments and armour stuff is the most braggable loot in the game, and you cannot buy it.

Barry Admin

The temporary Xmas armour is meant to look the best, though, and the Xmas loot pool has been carefully stacked such that you simply can't get it all - without paying. It's that kind of thing that really sickens me. Other games with seasonal events let you at least earn seasonal loot boxes instead of regular ones, but Destiny 2 has been careful about not letting that happen.

I get what you're saying, but when you have created a rarity value for loot, then that's the loot people really, really want. And it's very, very easy to only give people the opportunity to earn loot for a limited amount of time, so that they end up just trying to buy it.

I mean, in a way you DO have to still "earn" the bought loot, because - unlike Destiny 1, which kept this bullshit out of the game for most (all?) of its life cycle - you can't actually just buy the stuff you want now, you can only buy a chance at winning it.

In other words, rare loot is always cool, and sought after.

Paul Calf

Yeah, I understand that and I'm not defending Bumgie at all. Something that pisses me off about the game is that they've basically created a Skinner Box that urges you to play through all of their content three times. It's just lazy and cynical.

Having said that, I have generally hated FPSes in the past (even Doom and Halo) and I find this one really compelling.

Barry Admin

Yeah, again, it's just so bloody frustrating, as the actual lore and gunplay is fucking top-notch, and they do so, so much right. Destiny 2 was meant to put right the wrongs of the first game, and should have been godly, but they're absolutely determined to keep shafting the fans who supported them for the last few years.

Mobius

I play it quite a lot and enjoy it but it does feel like a sequel that didn't really change much. I see no reason why all the stuff in Destiny 2 (new regions, strikes, items) couldn't have been expansions for Destiny 1, really. The graphics, menus, gameplay, NPCs, quests, are 99% identical to the first game, as far as I can tell it hasn't required a new engine, smarter coding or anything like that. Like the game hasn't fundamentally changed or evolved, or gone in any different direction. It feels like exactly the same game, unless I'm just really ignorant about how game making works (very likely)

You get by, obviously, but it's insane that there's no chat function or LFG/group system. You have to use unofficial websites, reddit etc to find a group for a raid. It recently came out on PC, and most of the users were just amazed you couldn't communicate with other players. No option to sell / destroy / disassemble multiple items, just doing the same stuff every day, with very little way of like, improving your odds of getting a certain item. Everything is just random really, the shitest enemy in the game can drop the best item. Even the items which improve your drop rate recently turned out to be bollocks, and not really do anything.

I didn't pick up the expansion Curse of Osiris initially as I did feel a bit like I wasn't really enjoying myself, having immediately fallen into a cycle of doing exactly what I did on Destiny 1 for months on end, but as I've got no life and sit around in my pants smoking drugs I naturally caved, and yeah, it really is very little content... I mean it's 30 bucks or whatever (can't remember) but you can't even use your fucking vehicle in the new area. It's essentially a not very big circle which looks basically the same all over. Everything is brown. There's only 1 Public Event when most planets have 2 or 3. I did the new Heroic Strikes the other day, and got the same dungeon 4 times in a row. And this is just a personal gripe but, why does every line of dialogue have to be some attempt at being funny. Fucking hell it's the future, there's aliens and supercomputers and everything and your little Peter Dinklage bot is making shit jokes and not understanding things, and every time you hand a mission in there's some snarky little comment... like fucks sake humanity has been all but wiped out and the universe is fucked. There's an English bloke and of course he talks about tea.

In spite of all that it's satisfying to play. The gameplay, shooty gun bits and jumping about are great. I used to just hop about in Orgrimmar doing shit all, and Destiny is a bit like that.

I genuinely don't understand peoples fascination with the cosmetics and stuff in this game. You can't even see your own character.