Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:29:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Mash Report

Started by mobias, July 20, 2017, 10:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

I just watched one minute of it and could tell in that time it's total shit.

Utter Shit

Better this week. Still not good though.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on July 27, 2017, 09:34:17 PM
Oh please please no

I mean that was what it was probably going to be like but still, urgh

The writers list contains alumni of Radio 4's trio of shit 'topical comedy' programmes, which I guess is why the jokes, acting and audience are so terrible.

Pseudopath

Fucking hell. They're literally just reading out six year-old articles from the Daily Mash website now (and not even the funny bits as in the case of "Cat denies assaulting other cat"). What a waste.

Do love Rachel Parris' delivery though.

yesitsme

Saw it last night (viewers in Scotland must get an extra day's grace).  The reason the news bits don't work is (regardless of whether they're funny or not - they're not) because the headline IS the 'joke'.  If you say 'Cat denies assaulting other cat' then we get it, we work out the story in advance anything you say after that just backs up what you say.  It's like a tweet stretched out over a minute.  Plus they only show the picture to illustrate the story right at the end - they don't do that on the news.

Yer Nish Kumar of this world is ok but his faux-laugh at scripted bits is annoying.

The 'our X correspondant' - why are they doing this?  A straight rip from another show - I thought 'joke theft' was a total no-no in comedy yet this seems ok?  Last night the subject of arming the police could have been a great bit if Rupert Double-Barrel had met with someone who was pro weaponising some of the thickest bullies in the land yet instead of going for John Oliver/Sarah Bee (if you're going to rip it off you might as well rip it off right) he went for Philomena Cunk.

The 'live' Twitter wall.  You like this?  People like this?  She's ok, she's nothing special she's reading a couple of things out from people with Twitter handles like JohnnyPoo27, Gobblinggranny87 and Bigjugsfun33 - why? 

Overall it's poor, it misses the target - if there even is a target and the audience?

Well I like watching the audience.  i like watching the silhouettes remaining motionless while the sound of mass cheering and whistling (who would whistle at something?) floods the speakers.

It's almost as if they've recorded the crowd from the Graham Norton show and just whacked that on.

EDIT - The 'right wing guy' - he isn't right wing.  He's a pub bore.  He could be right wing, he could put the alternative view but he doesn't.  He just bangs on about the elderly.  Fuck him.  I hope his dotage is spent in arthritic agony.  That'll teach the prick.

Plus.  I appreciate Parliament is on holiday but the straight rip of Donald Trump's Kra-zee spots - do we need these?  They even used the same JFK 'Ask not what your country can do for you...' gag (with the same photo I think) that I've seen on one of the US versions.

I'm not saying they couldn't have come up with the same joke but if you are making a show like this shouldn't your homework involve watching all the topical American shows you're emulating so you don't cover the same ground in the same way.

I'd have thought anyway.

Clownbaby

Why have they even done another series

Ja'moke

Quote from: Clownbaby on October 29, 2018, 10:30:15 AM
Why have they even done another series

Because of the Rachel Parris bits. They should just give her her own series really.

yesitsme

What a boost last night's show must have got from yer Inside No.9.  Wonder how long the last viewer stuck with it.

Audience seem to love it. Yer Nish Kumar keeps looking at them to see if they're laughing.

rasta-spouse

I think the audience are laughing because they've forgotten what comedy is.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Ja'moke on October 29, 2018, 11:21:12 AM
Because of the Rachel Parris bits. They should just give her her own series really.

See, people keep saying that but I can't say I find her funny either.

Only thing that strangely made me smirk was when one news man bluntly said "the real Strictly Curse is that a third of the presenters has died". I don't know why I found that funny, I think it was just the sort of flat way he said it.

studpuppet

Quote from: Clownbaby on October 29, 2018, 02:33:49 PM
Only thing that strangely made me smirk was when one news man bluntly said "the real Strictly Curse is that a third of the presenters has died". I don't know why I found that funny, I think it was just the sort of flat way he said it.

No - that WAS funny! I enjoyed how heavily it dropped in the studio as well.

Clownbaby

Quote from: studpuppet on October 29, 2018, 04:04:50 PM
No - that WAS funny! I enjoyed how heavily it dropped in the studio as well.

It was one of the few more unaffected moments in the show, Nish and the brown haired lass and Rachel Parris all sound so un-coolly pleased with themselves when they're delivering lines and it sucks any remaining surprise or humour out of what they're saying

Luckily they provide us with helpful pictures to accompany the joke

rasta-spouse

The Strictly joke was the kind of thing that Frankie Boyle would say on Mock the Week that would interrupt/disrupt all the bad comedy from the others.

But, even when hearing it, I thought there were problems with it. Isn't it just Bruce Forsythe that has died? Can't really be a considered curse can it. The grammar's all wrong.

Clownbaby

Quote from: rasta-spouse on October 30, 2018, 10:57:39 AM
The Strictly joke was the kind of thing that Frankie Boyle would say on Mock the Week that would interrupt/disrupt all the bad comedy from the others.

But, even when hearing it, I thought there were problems with it. Isn't it just Bruce Forsythe that has died? Can't really be a considered curse can it. The grammar's all wrong.

Yeah. It still wasn't intelligent or anything. It's saying something that that was the funniest bit of the episode.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: rasta-spouse on October 30, 2018, 10:57:39 AM

Bruce Forsyth would constitute a third of the presenters though, to be fair.

rasta-spouse

I meant for something to be suspected or classified as a curse there has to be at least two or three examples. So only Brucie dying, doesn't make sense as a curse. It could just be heart disease.

(And this is already much more discussion than this show warrants.)

Clownbaby

Quote from: rasta-spouse on October 30, 2018, 11:08:46 AM
I meant for something to be suspected or classified as a curse there has to be at least two or three examples. So only Brucie dying, doesn't make sense as a curse.

(And this is already much more discussion than this show warrants.)

Aye it was kind of the stupidness that made me laugh cause it was so blunt and ill-informed and accidentally surreal

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The joke is *deliberately* ill-informed, Shirley ? That's what makes it work.

Anyways, I'm willing to cut " The Mash Report " some slack, due to some of their online stories actually being quite amusing, and that fit bird who used to be a model being on the programme ( dunno if She's still on it ).

Clownbaby

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on October 30, 2018, 11:22:57 AM
The joke is *deliberately* ill-informed, Shirley ? That's what makes it work.

Lameness of the rest of the show made it hard for me to tell to be fair

I just can't get over how shit this program is.  Such a poor, lightweight attempt at satire.  Sixth form humour.  And what's with the crowd whooping?  Fuck me.  0/5.

jsgibble

It's better than HIGNFY but neither are great. Most of the one they repeated tonight fell flat, the highlight being Nish's segment, which was like a really short John Oliver monologue.

timebug

Watched the first ever one when it was shown; thought it was shite.
So I gave epiode two a go,and bailed out after a few minutes. Not for
me I'm afraid, but there may be some who enjoy this kind of wankery?

Mango Chimes

I've seen a few clips of this which seem cynically and underamusingly designed for social media arguing. Like those popular showboating Twitter comedians who post things like "When your march is the will of the people" next to photos of that weird Sunderland thing and the London one – it's not really witty and it's not making anyone think differently, but it is affirming a position: 8k likes.

In actual good topical comedy news, I think the Bugle has really refound its feet with Alice Fraser as permanent co-host.

rasta-spouse

Quote from: Mango Chimes on March 26, 2019, 10:40:54 AM
Like those popular showboating Twitter comedians who post things like "When your march is the will of the people" next to photos of that weird Sunderland thing and the London one – it's not really witty and it's not making anyone think differently, but it is affirming a position: 8k likes.

Quite right, it's shitty fake-woke comedy designed for head-nodding retweets.

Utter Shit

Quote from: rasta-spouse on March 26, 2019, 06:31:48 PM
Quite right, it's shitty fake-woke comedy designed for head-nodding retweets.

To be fair, while that is true to a point I'd argue that those involved are passionate about what they are saying - it's not really pandering, Nish Kumar and Rachel Parris are just legitimately quite left wing. And in the show's defence, it does have Geoff Norcott on who promotes genuine, unironic, medium-right views. I don't think it's particularly great or anything, but it has more balance than most shows and I don't get the feeling that anyone there is being disingenuous with the things they say.

Clownbaby

Donald Trump is orange and bad am I right guys

HILARIOUS, TOPICAL AND ALSO SATIRICAL

Clownbaby

Copy and paste into The Last Leg

rasta-spouse

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 26, 2019, 06:43:08 PM
To be fair, while that is true to a point I'd argue that those involved are passionate about what they are saying - it's not really pandering, Nish Kumar and Rachel Parris are just legitimately quite left wing.

I don't doubt that they mean it. But because of the design of the show it has a strong air of fake-wokeness.

If you watch a lot of the desk comics like Oliver, Jeffries or Minhaj (who doesn't have a desk) they're at their best when delivering an authentic monologue with authentic jokes, and at their worst when they're just bleating an autocue at you with squeaky gags that reek of the writers' room. There are episodes featuring the three hosts I've just mentioned that really hit a great balance between funny and informative, worth watching a second time around even.

The brain kind of switches off when being spoonfed opinions that you sort of already know are morally on target, at least mine does. When done with such artlessness it's kind of repellant. And that's the Mash Report.

how does one actually tell the difference between jokes and routines that are 'authentic' and those that are 'fake-woke?