Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:27:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dragon's Dogma [split topic]

Started by Bhazor, July 24, 2017, 05:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bhazor

Just got the Dark Arisen rerelease in the Greenman Gaming sale. I'm in love. Surprised people seem so dismissive of the combat. Mechanically its fairly bland but the sheer scale of fights and the frenetic chaos is brilliant. Jumping into the throng and embracing the chaos all around you is just a thrill. Sure its not in the least tactical but the bar room brawl style of fighting is unique for these types of action rpgs. Massive fights, a lovingly detailed big open world and an enjoyably daft central concept.

Also I keep reading the new subtitle as Dark Arsen and that amuses me.

This game probably just jumped to number one in my "Please give us a sequel" prayer list. A proper sequel I mean not the MMO.

Bazooka

It is a good game, I played it quite drunk so didn't get too far. The pawn systems was pretty good, will pick it up again at some stage.

Captain Poodle Basher

I'm currently creeping through the Bitter Black Isle having brought my old 360 back to life. The fight mechanics are okay - it's better when the pawns know what they're doing mind you. Last night, I got pissed off in a fight with a metal golem when the Ranger I'd specifically hired to take out the remaining airborne medallion didn't know what to do and just hung around underneath it instead. She got her marching orders straight away.

The grinding is a bit, well, grinding as well, not so much the levelling up but the farming/copying of materials to upgrade your equipment - I spent the better part of an hour last night spending a small fortune on a handful of items.

Don't think we'll ever get a sequel mind you and I've not heard much praise for the MMO one either. The original game is due a port on the PS4 and XBox One sometime mind you.

Bhazor

Still loving this after some 20 hours (though 4 of them were spent at a gig when I had to leave mid Griffon fight). Though I must admit I can't imagine how people played it without the infinity ferrystone. The twenty minute commute from the main city to the starting village through a dozen scrub mobs would have killed my enjoyment dead.

It has had a couple of my gaming moments of the year. Fighting a hydra, climbing up one neck leaping off as it twisted to bite me and ended up grabbing on to a second neck before driving my daggers into its eyes. Or fighting a giant ogre thing in the deep well beneath the Pawn guild. About half way down I ran into him. He was pummeling the whole team and I was clinging to the back of his head, camera went nuts and next thing I know the daft cock has stumbled backwards over the edge of stairs with me clinging to his chest. Fell a hundred feet and survived using him to break my fall.

It also does a good job of making the world feel dangerous such that just walking through woods after dark carries a constant sense of menace.