Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:48:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Twin Peaks season 3!

Started by Mister Six, July 27, 2017, 12:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

The bead does help to determine that the figure 8 rotates around its vertical axis (so the "7" and its mirror image seems less tenuous). The bead does a little dance, starting at 3 o'clock in the lower circle, being rotated to 9 o'clock then moving itself back around to half past 4 o'clock. Jeffries also says "There may be someone. Did you ask me this?" just before the symbols appear from the steam. Is this referring to BadCoop visiting him previously and a question that he asked (the way Jeffries says that it's good to see Coop "again" suggests he means having seen Coop recently)?

The very next scene after that it a view of the Palmer's front door (and the number 708) as Laura leaves to join James on his motorcycle.

Mister Six

Jeffries doesn't seem to be able to tell the difference between the Coops - he does say "You really are Cooper" or something similar when Mr C goes to visit him. I thought that might have been him playing dumb to avoid getting in trouble with the other Lodge denizens, but perhaps not.  He does seem to have a strange grasp of time (but it is slippery in there).

Twed

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Twed on March 27, 2018, 01:45:19 PM
https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/3kz4x9/the-zelda-twin-peaks-connection-is-real

Link's Awakening influenced by Twin Peaks.

The sprog got an Ultimate Zelda guide or something for Christmas and he showed me the part where they talked about this because he knew I was into Twin Peaks. Completely forgot til now. Cool as fuck.

NoSleep

So both FFVII and Link's Awakening (my introduction to both franchises) were influenced by Twin Peaks; no wonder I loved them so much.

hedgehog90

I'm sure the following comparisons between Twin Peaks and some famous paintings has already been mentioned in this thread, but just in case:

Particularly the images of Cooper in the glass box - upon seeing it for the first time, I was charged with so much energy the only way I could express myself was by writing 'FUCK' repeatedly in a frenzied post later that night.
It's only now that I've realised it must have been within a month, weeks, maybe a few days prior to watching the beginning of Twin Peaks: The Return, that I saw an enthralling BBC4 documentary on Francis Bacon, introducing me to much of his art for the first time.
It's no coincidence, I had been watching lots of David Lynch's stuff on YouTube and this documentary came up as a suggested video. Evenso it's a joy to see these faint connecting lines linking Lynch and Bacon - like the lines that decorate so many of Bacon's early paintings - and to add a little bit of salt + pepper as to why I found the image of Cooper in the glass box so delicious in the first place.

hedgehog90

There's also a lot that can be said about Lynch's own paintings in comparison to Twin Peaks (and everything else he's made). I've only seen a handful of his paintings in any detail, but this one seemed to fit quite nicely with my understanding of Season 3.

Bob's Second Dream:

The bit that really struck me was the very faint writing directed at the girl's head.

Quote"this one caused the insect to grow BIG and and round with fur and legs"

The girl in question (Sarah?) caused the insect to grow big. She's not a victim of fate or good/bad luck (the penny), she actively engages in her own darkening (?)

Quote"everything is fuckin broke"

To me, seems like the most succinct description for Season 3 and the reality therein. The missing 'g' really adds to that sense of frustration and futility.

And the 2 red (not green) gardening gloves.

there's 2 of them left and right different orientations like the two 7s that make up Judy symbol FREDDY IS JUDY !!!1!

I guess Lynch just likes the aesthetic of rubber gardening gloves. I do too, they're nice.

It's all meaningless in the end, just another recognition of a similarity here and a repetition there.
Still, it's nice to notice these things, and the painting is pretty interesting in itself.

Bhazor

Has nothing to do with Twin Peaks. It just makes me grin.

Woman with broken neck and electric knife speaks to her husband

mjwilson

Anyone reading The Blue Rose magazine then? It's the new Wrapped in Plastic, essentially.
The latest issue has an essay suggesting that Cooper doesn't physically leave the Red Room until after Bob is defeated and returns there - which I think is in line with something said in an early episode, "you can't leave until he returns". He suggests Cooper makes three attempts to leave the Red Room - the first fails completely, in the second, only Cooper's mind leaves, and finally there's a physical departure when he is all "master of the curtains".
In this theory, the superimposed Cooper at the sheriff's station is this second version of Cooper, who has left in mind only, and is free to observe.

Not quite sure how much I agree with it but it's an interesting essay (and the magazine is only a couple of pounds on Kindle).

Wet Blanket

Been watching the blu-ray extras. At first I was disappointed that they amounted almost exclusively to behind the scenes footage, but they are actually quite illuminating. I've been surprised by how much genuinely was dreamed up on the hoof - the bit in the radio station being extended, for instance, because the set was more elaborate than Lynch had expected, or writing in a third Fusco brother because he wanted to hire "the big guy with the laugh."

Interesting to see Lynch lose his rag here and there. There's one bit where he tells off a production guy but I can't make out what he's saying.

Looks like for the most part that it was fun to make however. There's another good bit in the backstage footage where David Patrick Kelly sings a folk song.

hedgehog90

I was interested to read this on Francis Bacon's wikipedia page:

QuoteMotif of screaming mouth

The inspiration for the recurring motif of screaming mouths in many Bacons of the late 1940s and early 1950s was drawn from a number of sources, including medical text books, the works of Matthias Grünewald[53] and photographic stills of the nurse in the Odessa Steps scene in Sergei Eisenstein's 1925 silent Battleship Potemkin. Bacon saw the film in 1935, and viewed it frequently thereafter. He kept in his studio a photographic still of the scene, showing a close-up of the nurse's head screaming in panic and terror and with broken pince-nez spectacles hanging from her blood-stained face. He referred to the image throughout his career, using it as a source of inspiration.
Still from Sergei Eisenstein's 1925 silent film Battleship Potemkin

The Odessa it relates to is not the same one of course, and contextually it's twice removed from anything to do with Lynch, but still, it piqued my curiosity a bit, reawakening an old thought I had after watching Part 18 - why Odessa?
And perhaps I'm misleading myself further down a flight of fanciful steps, but the framing of the woman's face there reminded me of Lynch, maybe from Eraserhead, Inland Empire, or maybe even Laura's show-stopping scream at the end of Twin Peaks.

I'm 95% sure it's a coincidence (if you can even call it that as it's so tenuous), but perhaps the setting of Odessa in Twin Peaks was another nod, or as I prefer to see it - a bit of Lynch intuition that partly stemmed from memories of that scene.

I've since wondered about the similarities between those paintings and scenes from Twin Peaks. I suspect they were not consciously intended the way for instance Scorsese deliberately pays homage to his influences, but subconsciously dreamt up by Lynch without intent.
I'm reminded of a recent interview with Lynch in which he spoke about designing the 'unofficial version' of Philip Jeffries. Apparently it was not his intention to remind everyone of a steaming kettle... but to the rest of us that's clearly what it looked like. I believe it was only brought to his attention after the episode aired.

colacentral

I'm surprised that more isn't made by fans (from what I've seen anyway) of Jeffries' similarity to the caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland - it's one of those things where a direct conscious influence can be seen pretty clearly, much like the Wizard of Oz similarities elsewhere. Two characters speaking in riddles puffing smoke in the form of numbers. Then there's the Cheshire Cat grin on Sarah also - remember that the body of the cat fades away at one point leaving just its big toothy smile on a black background, looking exactly like the smile on black background you get when Sarah removes her face.

I find it interesting that Lynch borrows those things so blatantly. The Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland are similar stories, and Cooper seems to be playing the Dorothy / Alice role.

Obel

Lynch loves a bit of Wizard of Oz as well. See also: Wild at Heart

mjwilson

hedgehog90

Interesting! I never noticed the similarities.
Also - red shoes.

Quote from: Obel on April 08, 2018, 03:21:22 AM
Lynch loves a bit of Wizard of Oz as well. See also: Wild at Heart

I still haven't seen Wild at Heart or The Straight Story, am I missing much?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: hedgehog90 on April 08, 2018, 06:44:57 PM
Interesting! I never noticed the similarities.
Also - red shoes.

I still haven't seen Wild at Heart or The Straight Story, am I missing much?

The short answer is Y.

Less eccentric than his later films, WAH bridges the gap between Blue Velvet and Lost Highway. A sun drenched BV coupled to high octane storytelling a la LH.

Straight Story is literally just that, and more. A beautiful, sentimental film that aches like a weathered scarecrow in a lonely corn field.

newbridge

The fact that Wild at Heart is "less eccentric" than something is what makes Lynch's career so great.

VelourSpirit

Finally on episode 8 of my rewatch on blu-ray. Now that I'm more relaxed about the longer scenes, not thinking 'aghh there's only 13 and a half hours left why are we spending so long in this scene', I can think more about thematic reasons they might have been included rather than anticipating any direct plot developments.
Why did they put in pretty much the same Jacoby rant in three times? Was it mainly to build to Nadine leaving Ed so he can be with Norma while? I suddenly thought that part 8's 'this is the water, this is the well' is maybe meant to be evocative of Jacoby's webcast, so you see the webcast, see the radio transmission, then you've got new things to think about when they play the webcast again. Nadine willingly let what many would see as poisonous evil into her home - did the girl in part 8 do the same unconsciously?

Pamela Gidley, who played Teresa Banks, has died.

Twed

Hm, she lived near me in Seabrook. Maybe a fisherman could find her body and they could do an East Coast Twin Peaks.

Twed

That may have been a little insensitive.

Bhazor

Pamela Gidley
Picks up the rice in the church where a wedding has been
Lives in a dream

Bhazor

Finally got around to the behind the scenes stuff for the series. I can see where everyone says it was so stressful and limited by time. With 20 people crowding behind him telling him to speed up a scene or how he has to move onto filming another scene or how he has no time to. It's fascinating to compare it to how relaxed the Mullholland Drive behind the scenes footage appeared to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh6JtllRkPQ

hedgehog90

I know there are loads of these analysis videos knocking about, but I very much engaged with and enjoyed Wow Lynch Wow's latest take:

Twin Peaks - Is it future or is it past?

I particularly liked the idea that the Cooper we saw in Part 18 was of the alternate timeline described in The Final Dossier, along with Sarah, and the 'Is it future or is it past' serves as a starting point for both timelines.
And that Sarah is (or is linked) with Laura's Doppelganger.
Also, the ending of FWWM - where Laura is seen smiling in what appears to be The Black Lodge - is probably the White Lodge, which until now I'd never twigged.

Lots of interesting stuff to consider.

Blumf

So, Cooper changes the past, and that results in Laura being flung from the lodge.

The change also results in Pete Martell actually being able to go fishing, instead of finding Laura's corpse. Was the fish in percolator the one he would have caught but didn't until Laura is saved? Did the fish enter one of the lodges only to be flung out into the percolator? (possibly by the Fireman)

Could the percolator fish be a doppelgänger or tulpa, and the real fish still have been in the lodge during S01/02?

Fish!

VelourSpirit

As it hadn't gotten into the percolator, Dale Cooper didn't get ill from fishy coffee and have this massive fever dream of lodges and spirits.

Shaky

Quote from: hedgehog90 on May 08, 2018, 03:37:42 PM
I know there are loads of these analysis videos knocking about, but I very much engaged with and enjoyed Wow Lynch Wow's latest take:

Twin Peaks - Is it future or is it past?

I particularly liked the idea that the Cooper we saw in Part 18 was of the alternate timeline described in The Final Dossier, along with Sarah, and the 'Is it future or is it past' serves as a starting point for both timelines.
And that Sarah is (or is linked) with Laura's Doppelganger.
Also, the ending of FWWM - where Laura is seen smiling in what appears to be The Black Lodge - is probably the White Lodge, which until now I'd never twigged.

Lots of interesting stuff to consider.

I'd always assumed that FWWM's ending saw Laura ascend to the White Lodge from the waiting room - but we weren't literally seeing the new lodge (especially since the recent series appears to show the good Lodge as The Fireman's dwelling). And with time having no real meaning there, he's able to send the purified Laura spirit/whatever back to earth as seen in Episode 8 to start the cycle again.

Blumf

Quote from: TwinPeaks on May 08, 2018, 05:22:05 PM
As it hadn't gotten into the percolator, Dale Cooper didn't get ill from fishy coffee and have this massive fever dream of lodges and spirits.

It's not about the fish!

Is it about the fish?

No, it's not about the fish.

Desirable Industrial Unit

Quote from: Shaky on May 08, 2018, 11:56:19 PM
I'd always assumed that FWWM's ending saw Laura ascend to the White Lodge from the waiting room - but we weren't literally seeing the new lodge]

That's always been how I thought of it, although whether we've seen the black lodge either has always been a bit up in the air.

Quoteespecially since the recent series appears to show the good Lodge as The Fireman's dwelling

This I'm not sure about.  I he's kind of neutral is the thing, and he's there to keep the gears turning and to stop massive imbalances.  So wherever he lives is probably some kind of equivalent of an engine room, some kind of third place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msMehuZo3x8

Shaky

Quote from: Desirable Industrial Unit on May 09, 2018, 10:03:25 PM
That's always been how I thought of it, although whether we've seen the black lodge either has always been a bit up in the air.

This I'm not sure about.  I he's kind of neutral is the thing, and he's there to keep the gears turning and to stop massive imbalances.  So wherever he lives is probably some kind of equivalent of an engine room, some kind of third place.

I can see what you getting at (taking into account the Giant's nebulous role in the original series and the preponderance of Jeffries-esque machines and bits and bobs where he lives) but the portal that Bobby, Truman & Andy discover in the woods just seems to mirror Glastonbury Grove so neatly. It's Lynch so who knows but feels to me like one of those moments where he giving us a clearer answer. Also from memory, doesn't the White Lodge-affiliated Briggs leave clues to lead Bobby et al to said Portal?