Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:28:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Twin Peaks season 3!

Started by Mister Six, July 27, 2017, 12:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: Shaky on May 10, 2018, 01:30:56 AM
Also from memory, doesn't the White Lodge-affiliated Briggs leave clues to lead Bobby et al to said Portal?

He does, but that doesn't mean Jack Rabbit's Palace leads to the White Lodge, it just means Briggs is an White Lodge adept who knows how to get to where the Fireman lives (amongst other things). He could probably get to the Black Lodge, too.

Shaky

Yeah, depends on how you take it. I guess I'm going for the more literal approach what with doubles being a recurring thing in the show and everything.

hedgehog90

Interesting video with Dean Hurley, Lynch's collaborator in sound design.

He Heard a Wind | Behind The Sound design In Twin peaks

It also includes some stills of pages from the script of The Return.
Here's a snippet of one from Part 8:

QuoteThe figure speaks disturbing, atonal word-like mechanical sounds into the mic, going out over the air in a strange monotone. At least part of what the dark figured woodsman speaks into the microphone:
This is the water and this is the well. Drink full and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.

For me, the sound design and music is perhaps the greatest single element from The Return.
I'm always forgetting certain details of the show, but I'll never forget the low electrical hum signifying a lodge entity, the choral tone of the Red Room or the wet cracking sounds of a skull slowly being crushed.

The low atmospheric sounds in particular that accompany certain scenes evoke such an unreal but palpable sense of darkness, there's nothing else like it.
Incidentally, I was re-listening to some Thomas Köner the other day and some moments did resemble this sound I'm talking of, like this snippet from 1993's Permafrost.

The Return has brought about in me a fascination for these types of sounds. I'll come across a innocuous piece of audio and fiddle around with it in Audacity, sometimes producing weird and interesting results.
This sound of some piping going mad from a broken tap for instance sounds amazing with a bit of paulstretch and reverb. There's a sound about half way that starts as a hiss and ends as a scream, it conjures for me the image of the girl seen running and screaming from the pilot episode, appearing and disappearing in a cloud of mist.

Anyway, Dean Hurley, sound fiddler extraordinaire, I salute you.

Mister Six

Ooh that pipe sound really is spooky. Neat!

VelourSpirit

It's the first anniversary of season 3! What the hell!? Johnny Jewel released an album of unused Twin Peaks music today, which is really nice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfJ_Dxpi6kU

Sgt. Duckie

Quote from: TwinPeaks on May 21, 2018, 11:07:38 PM
It's the first anniversary of season 3! What the hell!? Johnny Jewel released an album of unused Twin Peaks music today, which is really nice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfJ_Dxpi6kU

Thankyou.

Shit. I remember this May 21st so well. The 2am bonanza, the tears and pure excitement and adrenalin throughout that double bill. No offence to Agent Cooper but where has a year gone?

And about to hit Johnny Jewell link now...

Bhazor

Sgt. Duckie

Perfect opportunity to say you have the greatest avatar Bhazor.

Shaky

I concur that the music and sound design was incredible but any word on why Badalamenti had such a limited role in S3? Artistic choice on Lynch's part, Angelo wasn't up to it or, like so much of the show, just a desire to subvert expectation?

Captain Z

May be of limited interest but Luigi Tozzi has done a nice deep/melodic techno remix of Moby - Go, which famously sampled Laura Palmer's theme. Free download from his soundcloud:

https://soundcloud.com/luigitozzi/moby-go-luigis-edit

hedgehog90

Just found a snippet of the Slow 30's Room music in Lynch & Hurley's The Air is On Fire (2007)

https://youtu.be/uUdP-xQyFmc?t=2816

When I heard it i was like omg is it future or is it past?

Sounds like it's been lifted from another tune. I'd love to know where it came from and if the original was anything like as drea(m/r)y.

Custard

Only 24 more years til season 4!!!

Pseudopath

Quote from: hedgehog90 on May 22, 2018, 11:10:57 AM
Sounds like it's been lifted from another tune. I'd love to know where it came from and if the original was anything like as drea(m/r)y.

Someone on Reddit reckons it comes from this demo disc for the Optigan (a 70's electronic keyboard which loaded in samples from vinyl discs). Steve Hackett from Genesis appears to have used the same demo disc as the basis for his creepy-ass 1980 song Sentimental Institution.

hedgehog90

Quote from: Pseudopath on May 23, 2018, 11:40:32 AM
Someone on Reddit reckons it comes from this demo disc for the Optigan (a 70's electronic keyboard which loaded in samples from vinyl discs). Steve Hackett from Genesis appears to have used the same demo disc as the basis for his creepy-ass 1980 song Sentimental Institution.

Cheers!
I don't think I would have be able to spot the resemblance if you hadn't told me though.

I've just been enjoying Johnny Jewel's Themes For Television, which led to me checking if the new Chromatics album was scheduled for release (having read a few years ago that it was finished), and I came across a series of tweets from his manager.
In short, it was going to be released in 2016 with 10K vinyl and 15k CDs printed and ready to ship, then JJ had a near death experience and then for reasons unknown destroyed the entire lot.

You can even see some evidence of this in their Twin Peaks announcement tweet from last year:

That's quite impressively mental, especially when you consider that Italians Do It Better is not a big operation (as far as I know), and the difficulty most labels have just to stay afloat nowadays.

VelourSpirit

Plus their online shop seems ridiculously cheap. I bought a $15 t-shirt (£11!) from them and they included two free posters, plus two CDs for free. I don't know how they can afford to do that and somehow still be free to print and then smash up 10,000 LPs on two separate occasions (since it apparently happened with Kill for Love as well).

hedgehog90

Has anyone else dreamt about a season 4 announcement?
On waking up earlier I checked my phone to see if it was real... I vividly remember reading it online last night and being giddy with excitement.

Nope, dreamt it.
Fuck.

VelourSpirit

Maybe we're supposed to dream season 4 for ourselves. Kimmy Robertson said something about July in this video but who knows what she's even talking about? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjub64IT-1Q&feature=youtu.be&t=11m52s

BlodwynPig

Still crawling to 100 pages....

best thing about 'Twin Peaks' is that it's a big "fuck you" to anyone with a technocratic understanding of art

Wet Blanket

I don't think I want a season 4. 'The Return' was such a great valedictory lap, with all the callbacks not only to the original series but to Lynch's earlier works.  Plus so many of the cast have died! I do hope, however, that Showtime give him the money to do something else. I'd really like another film from him.

hedgehog90

The weird thing is I totally agree.
The Return left a path of destruction, such that I cannot begin to imagine what a continuation would look like, it seems almost impossible to carry on at this point.
But there's enough enthusiasm amongst fans (and the creators, cast & crew) that it seems possible that another season is on the cards, and that just makes me helplessly curious.

colacentral

I would have liked a continuation had it happened soon after, or if the whole revival happened a few years earlier. I think there's alot of legs in Cooper and Carrie figuring out where they are. But it's also fine being left where it is, and I'd worry Lynch would keel over while making a fourth season and it would be finished by somebody else, tainting the whole thing.

Mister Six

If all those cigs haven't killed Lynch by now, nothing will.

Sgt. Duckie

Sadly with the current accusations against Robert Knepper, I doubt we will get The Mitchum Bros. / Candie, Mandie and Sandie spin off I have dreamt of.

Lost Oliver

Only just realised he was T-Bag in Prison Break.

"Stand by your glasses steady and drink to your comrade's eyes. Here's a toast to the dead already and hurrah for the next to die."

Phil_A

Oh fuck I missed Knepper getting #metoo'd. He sounds like an absolute scumbag.

phantom_power

It didn't stop him playing a major part in the last season of iZombie

BlodwynPig

Still haven't watched this properly, i.e. not in crappy vision on a phone.

I don't rate it. I think its overstuffed. I would have preferred to watch this 9 years after it finished like I did the original series. One day I will watch this properly. Maybe in 9 years.

Small Man Big Horse

Just discovered that there's a whole bunch of scans of the Peaks fanzine Wrapped In Plastic here - https://the-eye.eu/public/Books/scifi%2C%20cult%2C%20horror%20and%20fantasy%20film%20and%20fiction%20zines/Wrapped%20in%20Plastic/ - which almost makes up for the fact that my mum threw out my collection fourteen years ago when she moved house. Almost.