Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:39:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rayman

Started by Bazooka, August 05, 2017, 11:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

An unsung hero of the gaming world. Rayman 64 and the GBA games are fantastic, and Rayman Legends and Origins have been the best platformers of the last generation outside of Mario and Sonic 2006. The best limbless character I can think of.

Huzzah for Rayman, Huzzah!

shh

Rayman Legends on the WiiU is superb. Are they making any more?

Kelvin

Yeah, I like the Rayman games, too. One of the few modern platformers that perfect the "feel" of movement/don't feel too floaty.   

Even going back so far as the N64 era, they were among the best platformers going.

Quote from: shh on August 06, 2017, 04:31:26 PM
Rayman Legends on the WiiU is superb. Are they making any more?

The Wii U one is coming to Switch as an ultimate edition or something, and I'm sure they'll make another one now that the console has established itself as a clear hit. May be a year or two years off, though.

TheManOne

Which ever one I've just played on the PS4 (Origins?) was excellent. Truly great platforming. The rhythm levels in particular are a great example of the mastery on display.

Bhazor

Rayman Origins wasn't that great. Looked amazing and played well but way too easy to 100% each level for any veteran player. Legends though was fantastic with wonderful graphics and clever gimmicks and just a wonderful core feel. One of my favourite games of the last few years. So much content in there too with hundreds of levels and bonus levels and online challenges which are wonderfully compulsive. I've thought this was due to the game being essentially put in stasis for a year. It was finished but Ubisoft for some reason refused to put it out and the team just spent a year cramming it with everything they could think of.

TheManOne

It was Legends! I've remembered. The Origins levels were bonus things.

Bhazor

Oh and Barbara is one of my favourite character designs in ages. Just adorable and so much personality in so few frames. And that laugh "Ehh a hehhh"

a peepee tipi

The PSX game has been kicking the shit out of me for a couple of weeks now. Betilla's got the best theme ever

hewantstolurkatad

Isn't Rayman 64 just a stripped down version of Rayman 2?

Fucking weird cycle of releases across versions but it seems like Rayman 2 on the N64 is a stripped down version of the initial PC release (even though it came out a few days earlier), the Dreamcast version is a refined update on the PC version, then there is a PS1 version stripped down in different ways to the N64 one and a buggy updated port of the DC one to the PS2.
The Dreamcast version is considered the definitive one of the group from what I can see.

Lemming

Rayman 2 had, to me, long seemed like a shitty failed attempt at transferring the Rayman format to 3D but I've been revisiting a bunch of old platformers recently and Rayman 2 is actually ace. Better than Banjo-Kazooie and the first Spyro, which I'm sure is some kind of heresy.

Kelvin

Quote from: Lemming on August 06, 2017, 07:48:24 PM
Rayman 2 had, to me, long seemed like a shitty failed attempt at transferring the Rayman format to 3D but I've been revisiting a bunch of old platformers recently and Rayman 2 is actually ace. Better than Banjo-Kazooie and the first Spyro, which I'm sure is some kind of heresy.

Is Rayman 2 the one with evil robot Pirates? If so, then, yes, it's one of the best 3D platformers of that period. Not sure I'd say it's better than Banjo, mind you. 

BritishHobo

Always been my favourite gaming franchise. The original Rayman was one of the first games I ever had on PC and it's a classic for me, even though I never actually made it to the end. Same with Rayman 2. Actually the only older Rayman game I completed may have been the Gameboy Advance version of Hoodlum Havoc. Still, I think it shits on so many other franchises. And Origins and Legends only elevated that; the pair of them are near-perfect, every level running with incredible rhythm. The pair of them put all the recent Mario platformers to shame, generic retreads paling next to the bursting imagination of fucking Rayman. Well worth struggling through the dark years of the Rabbids.

Bazooka

Quote from: Kelvin on August 06, 2017, 08:12:26 PM
Is Rayman 2 the one with evil robot Pirates? If so, then, yes, it's one of the best 3D platformers of that period. Not sure I'd say it's better than Banjo, mind you.

Yeah Rayman 2: The Great Escape, the version is the same on all the platforms. Nice to see some fellow praise for the limbless French guy.

Currently playing Rayman 3 GBA on the virtual console, has a nice difficulty spike.

madhair60

Came here to recommend Rayman 3 GBA actually. If you hooked that up with the Gamecube version it unlocked a bunch of extra handheld levels. Do you know if those stages happen to be included in the Wii U VC version?

hewantstolurkatad

RE: Rayman 64, did N64 version of games partially put the 64 onto the name to avoid any issues between the differences between version (e.g. if advertising materials contained images with a lot of textures or adverts with a lot of in game audio)

Quote from: madhair60 on August 07, 2017, 10:40:08 AM
Came here to recommend Rayman 3 GBA actually. If you hooked that up with the Gamecube version it unlocked a bunch of extra handheld levels. Do you know if those stages happen to be included in the Wii U VC version?
I seem to remember there being some really unusually innovative bonus game(s) between the two as well? Like, the kind of thing literally only Nintendo bothered with and to a limited degree even then.

Bazooka

Quote from: madhair60 on August 07, 2017, 10:40:08 AM

Funnily enough if you go to those levels and try and go in, it brings up the connect your GBA to Gamecube message.

Bhazor

May have been overlooked but Rayman Forever on GOG is a port of the original Playstation game but with an immense number of fanmade levels. Hard as balls and they have that strange grid based movement that feels oddly reminiscent of Atari platformers. But still very creative and some really clever level design.