Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,395
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:11:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Talking during a film

Started by Billy, August 07, 2017, 01:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin Agog

Repeater

Would ye ever ask someone to shut up during a band's performance at a festival?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Repeater on August 08, 2017, 10:41:00 AM

I've wanted to, especially when it's been people pointlessly heckling bands they don't like rather than going to another stage to see someone they might, but as you're at a festival it's easy enough to just move away from the idiots.

Josef K

Cinema etiquette should be exactly the same as theatre etiquette. People (generally) don't eat food or chat with their mates during a play so why would you do it during a film?

I think it's difficult to set a limit on the way that people react to music or films with noises and sometime words but I usually judge it by the standard cultural expectations of the audience make-up and the genre of film and whether I think the noise or conversation is gratuitous.

Repeater

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on August 08, 2017, 11:19:19 AM
I've wanted to, especially when it's been people pointlessly heckling bands they don't like rather than going to another stage to see someone they might, but as you're at a festival it's easy enough to just move away from the idiots.

At the Radiohead gig outdoors in Glasgow the other month, right at the front, packed in, quiet bit while the band performed High and Dry or something. These annoying girls were talking about uni or someshit. I couldn't shush them, I'm a guy, but my friend Jennifer told them to be quiet. Was pretty good. I counted in my head until 30 and was certain they'd be gone by the end, they made it to 20.

zomgmouse

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on August 10, 2017, 03:00:46 PM
I think it's difficult to set a limit on the way that people react to music or films with noises and sometime words but I usually judge it by the standard cultural expectations of the audience make-up and the genre of film and whether I think the noise or conversation is gratuitous.
There's a difference between reacting to something and actively talking to someone about the film/other things.

Couldn't you react by talking to someone about the film? You might say 'woah' or 'bloody hell' and look at them. They might reply. That's where my context based gratuity clause comes in. I think you can judge it yourself better than you can articulate the essential difference between reaction and actively talking.

greenman

Quote from: Repeater on August 08, 2017, 10:41:00 AM

That's likely to be far louder than any showing of a film.

Replies From View

Quote from: Josef K on August 10, 2017, 02:23:56 PM
Cinema etiquette should be exactly the same as theatre etiquette. People (generally) don't eat food or chat with their mates during a play so why would you do it during a film?

A lot of people who go to the cinema don't go to the theatre to see plays.  If they did, they'd probably chat through them just as much.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Josef K on August 10, 2017, 02:23:56 PM

Didn't audiences used to actively engage in dialogues and hecklings and body fluid lobbings with the actors onstage in Shakespeare's time?  I can't say, not having experienced it, but I imagine having to stare at a cinema screen smeared with shit might be a little distracting.

Quote from: Sin Agog on August 13, 2017, 09:44:15 AM
Didn't audiences used to actively engage in dialogues and hecklings and body fluid lobbings with the actors onstage in Shakespeare's time? 

Another thing they banned.  Political correctness gone mad.

neveragain

Quote from: Replies From View on August 13, 2017, 09:35:14 AM
A lot of people who go to the cinema don't go to the theatre to see plays.  If they did, they'd probably chat through them just as much.

I've already recounted (ages ago) my story of shushing a woman who was eating/talking loudly during a play and being called a sexist.

Icehaven

There's absolutely no excuse whatsoever for talking in the cinema, and personally I'd implement a zero tolerance, one strike and you're out policy. However even I have to admit there's exceptions. Many years ago for reasons that weren't my fault, I ended up at a (fairly busy) showing of Skyline, and by the final quarter of the film at least half the audience had given up completely and were chatting either about how bloody awful the film was, or where they were going next, or what to eat, or their dog, anything except the abortion on the screen (in my head the lights had even come up and the cinema manager was apologising and handing out refunds but I'm fairly sure that bit isn't true).  In that instance talking didn't bother me and was a welcome distraction, however the law of averages, I suppose, dictates there must have been at least a few people in there that were actually enjoying it so it wasn't really fair on them, so if they could have somehow communicated their annoyance to their team of carers they could have asked everyone to be quiet.

Serge

I had the full 'Absolute Cunt' experience at the cinema this afternoon when I went to see 'Logan Lucky'. I find that afternoon screenings are usually better as they're quieter, but I guess with it being the day after a bank holiday a lot of people are still off, so it was about half-full. Annoyingly, at least four groups of people came into the screening late - this fucks me off for a start, I mean, how hard is it to read a listing? Thankfully, most of them were during the adverts and trailers, but one group of teenagers came in when the film had already been on for about 10-15 minutes.

I had already been annoyed by the fucker sitting about six rows in front of me who thought that just as the film starts is the best time to take out his massive fucking phone and use the light to signal to ships at sea. Seriously, I was six rows away, and this bastard's phone light was distracting me from the film.

Thankfully, he turned it off after a couple of minutes (but checked it again a good half a dozen times during the film), but then this bunch of cunts arrived. Now, if you've turned up after the film has started, it's not too much to ask that you at least try to sneak in quietly, is it? Not these guys, they stomped all the way up the stairs at the side, and sat about three seats along from me, whereupon they spent the rest of the film talking among themselves, rustling bags, getting their phones out and generally acting like twats. The second the credits appeared, they thundered out of the cinema, and when the lights came up, the fucking mess they'd left on the floor and all over the seats was unreal.

I'm sure I didn't used to act like this when I was a teenager at the pictures - actually, I know I didn't, and neither did anyone I know, we went to see the fucking film, not treat the cinema like a clubhouse. But, at the risk of sounding like a middle-aged man on the verge of a stroke, that's what they're like these days - they do the same thing in the bookshop where I work, and look confused when I tell them to be quiet or to stop eating - they see everywhere as an extension of their home and don't see why they should moderate their behaviour. God help us if there's a war, etc.

weekender

National Service would have prevented this.

It's also one of the reasons why I try and book off the first two weeks in September every year - the August blockbusters are still usually on for another couple of weeks, and there's a wonderful quiet mid-afternoon period where all these cunts go back to school.

I'd like to say that I didn't act like an annoying cunt when I was younger, but my mother does make a point of reminding me that she took me to see ET when I was 4 and I cried really hard and loudly at that bit when he entered some sort of plastic tunnel and I thought he was dead.

colacentral

You're really annoyed people are walking in during trailers? Cinemas take the piss wasting your time by adding an extra 45 minutes to the run time to sell you stuff, no reason to go in at the exact actual start time unless you're already at the cinema and there's no point waiting outside.

If they're coming in deep into the trailers approaching the start of the film it's a bit different though.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: colacentral on August 29, 2017, 09:38:00 PM
You're really annoyed people are walking in during trailers? Cinemas take the piss wasting your time by adding an extra 45 minutes to the run time to sell you stuff, no reason to go in at the exact actual start time unless you're already at the cinema and there's no point waiting outside.

If they're coming in deep into the trailers approaching the start of the film it's a bit different though.

My local isn't too bad but I always make a point of turning up about 10 minutes after the start time anyway.

Cloud

Not a fan at all.  Went to a film a few years ago where I got called over to join some other random fans of the same out-of-place demographic and thought great, nice to meet others of my ilk... who then sang along really badly to the songs (which they'd heard beforehand on youtube) while I shrunk in my seat wishing they'd shut up so I could enjoy it properly and be free from the embarrassment of association, while rather regretting the decision.

If it doesn't add to the enjoyment of watching something communally (e.g. all laughing out loud at the funny bits) then shut up.  It's bad enough that people feel the need to eat in there - just stop feeding your face for a couple of hours?

Couldn't give two shits of a fuck about the trailers, mind!

Sin Agog

Quote from: Serge on August 29, 2017, 08:53:03 PM
I had the full 'Absolute Cunt' experience at the cinema this afternoon when I went to see 'Logan Lucky'.

Had a similar experience just now at Logan Lucky.  I've talked to musicians who've said how audiences can make or break a gig.  If one or two in the crowd are disconnected, thinking about something else, or faffing about on their phones, it'll change the whole energy of the room.  I think the same's true of a cinema.  Which is why it can be so great- everything's heightened by everyone else's enjoyment.  But at least in the first act of LL, which was admittedly quite leisurely, a whole row of restive motherfunkers fidgeted and texted furiously, obviously having thrown their chips in with the wrong film, before leaving early, changing the whole energy of the cinema.  Enjoyed it much more after that.

Glebe

Quote from: weekender on August 29, 2017, 09:22:29 PMI'd like to say that I didn't act like an annoying cunt when I was younger, but my mother does make a point of reminding me that she took me to see ET when I was 4 and I cried really hard and loudly at that bit when he entered some sort of plastic tunnel and I thought he was dead.

Went to see it with my brother and sister and their friends when I was about 8, cinema was packed and we had to sit on the floor in the front. Everyone in tears by the end.

kidsick5000

I have been terrible for this.

Most recently fell out with a friend big time because he was a few rows in front at a screening of the recent Planet Of The Apes film.
The galling thing was that he's a film lover, yet for the last quarter of the film, he kept texting. Blatant texting. Not treating the phone like a poker hand. Up in front, admittedly low light but it's still a distraction.
I just snapped at him as we were exiting. "What the fuck were you playing at etc Make sure you don't sit near me and do that again " and yomped off.

I can't stand it. But I'm terrible to watch a film with. It got to the point that my girlfriend always tried to make sure we sit away from people because the building anger just eminates from me.

There's a build up of tension, you try and be polite but some people act so damn ignorantly that you sound angerier than you meant.
Then you're sat with this tension of some idiots being buthurt, possibly then whispering "who made them boss etc etc"

I've snapped at people within moments of the film starting.
They were nattering all through the adverts. Then the trailers. Then the idents. The first frame came up and I just turned back and told them off.
The damn film had started and they showed no sign of stopping this general conversation.

Every time I read about what's wrong with movies, and sequels killing off viewer interest it's annoying. Because the cinema chains are as much to blame as anyone. they let the cinema going experience deteriorate.
That why this from the Alamo Drafthouse was a moment to be applauded.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs 

Repeater

tbh yer a wank, talking during the trailers ads and indents is totally fine, the first scene aye they should've shut tf up then, maybe they were going to, but yer too much of a wank to find out

kidsick5000

Quote from: Repeater on August 30, 2017, 08:07:02 AM
tbh yer a wank, talking during the trailers ads and indents is totally fine, the first scene aye they should've shut tf up then, maybe they were going to, but yer too much of a wank to find out

You can tell by the pace and volume of a conversation, not whispered in this case, whether they're likely to stop soon.
By first scene, I don't mean as soon as the Studio logo is up.
It's rarely a surprise that the main feature has started. It's why they lower the lights. That's the signal to the audience that what everyone paid to see is starting and they should act accordingly.
Given the typical modern film, there's plenty of time from the start, say 3-5 minutes of idents and credits in some cases, to turn it down and settle in.
They didn't stop, they were still on about plans for the evening.
I'm not some vigilante who hopes for this to happen. It's just frustrating that some people are unable to understand this basic civil courtesy, let people who want to watch the film enjoy the film from the moment it starts.
It's pathetic for anyone to think that their ticket means more than anyone else's.
I should also be clearer: When I say I told them off, it's not like I started a full volume argument.
It's turning back and giving a quick low level "Oi. the film's started. shut it." Something intended just for them, so that it doesn't have to affect anyone further.

Repeater

i agree, you should've been clearer. no harm done

madhair60

Quote from: Cloud on August 29, 2017, 10:04:56 PM
Not a fan at all.  Went to a film a few years ago where I got called over to join some other random fans of the same out-of-place demographic and thought great, nice to meet others of my ilk... who then sang along really badly to the songs (which they'd heard beforehand on youtube) while I shrunk in my seat wishing they'd shut up so I could enjoy it properly and be free from the embarrassment of association, while rather regretting the decision.

If it doesn't add to the enjoyment of watching something communally (e.g. all laughing out loud at the funny bits) then shut up.  It's bad enough that people feel the need to eat in there - just stop feeding your face for a couple of hours?

Couldn't give two shits of a fuck about the trailers, mind!

Was it Equestria Girls?

The Roofdog

Quote from: colacentral on August 29, 2017, 09:38:00 PM

It should be fine to turn up in the middle of the adverts/trailers because the chain cinemas take the piss with ads, but too many people seem to be so spectacularly shit at estimating it that every half-busy screening has people walking in 10-15 minutes into the film. In a vue or an odeon that can be 50-60 minutes after the advertised start time, they can sod off with that.

Sebastian Cobb

They should just tell any stragglers that turn up after the film has actually started to get bent.

Serge

I don't have a problem with people talking during the adverts and trailers, though as kidsick5000 says, you can usually tell which are the ones that won't have stopped by the time the film starts. My problem with people arriving during trailers is part of my bigger problem with lateness in people in general, it's something that seriously fucks me off. If I can make it to the film on time, why can't they? It's not usually so bad at afternoon screenings where the cinema isn't generally full, but when I used to go regularly to evening screenings, I would inevitably have made myself comfortable only to have to shift seats to accomodate a party of people who can't read a fucking cinema listing.

That link to the Alamo Drafthouse clip above says it all - the fucking entitlement that some people have these days, the fact they think that they can just behave as they like and anybody who has a problem with it is infringing on their 'rights'. It's not hard, people have come to see the film, so put your phone away and shut the fuck up for two hours.

Sebastian Cobb

Because you seemingly think you have an obligation to sit through the trailers, whereas they don't.