Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:11:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who - Series 10 (Part 3)

Started by Replies From View, August 07, 2017, 11:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Malcy on September 17, 2017, 10:33:35 PM
He's in the trailer.

I hadn't watched it, but I expect I'd've seen it before the episode aired, so fair enough I suppose.

Replies From View

I didn't feel I was spoiling anything when I shared that synopsis.  The way I see it, once it's been shared officially by the production team, it's fair to disseminate without too much anxiety.  If the Spoiler tags had still existed I would have thought about it, but I was on my phone, and selecting white text didn't even cross my mind, I'm afraid.

Sorry if anything has been ruined for anyone, but then it's possible you shouldn't be reading Doctor Who threads if that synopsis was too much information for you.  We didn't hold back from discussing Gatiss in the trailer a few weeks ago, as far as I recall.

Replies From View

It's amusing that the word spoiler is now automatically capitalised even though spoiler tags no longer exist.

mothman

Do they do any online tie-in stuff these days? Like, when New Who started there were in-character blogs, websites for companies and institutions in the show, and Bad Wolf and Torchwood Easter-eggs. Has all that gone for a ball of chalk? Is Bill Potts the only member of her generation who doesn't have an Instagram?

Norton Canes

I remember 'Whospy'... which I think they dropped because everyone thought it said 'Whoopsy'

Replies From View

Replies From View

Malcy

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on September 28, 2017, 01:20:58 PM
Isn't this exactly the same as the one that's out already that I forget the name of?

BeWhoelled or something.

Probably.  I haven't played it as that kind of puzzle game bores me.  Never got into Tetris or anything like that.  For Doctor Who they should do a Monkey Island style adventure problem solving game and stop pretending anything else is good enough.

Camp Tramp

They should make a game where you're a Dalek and the mission is to exterminate the enemies of the Daleks, IE anything that isn't a Dalek.

First level should be against something like the Gungans, Jar Jar Binks.  Not much of a challenge but it would be fun genociding them. The challenges would scale up, until you get the Doctor as the endgame boss!

olliebean

The Mirror is reporting than series 11 will be only 10 episodes, but longer ones. If true, I can't help feeling this is a budgetary decision - for a programme like Doctor Who, it's probably cheaper to make 10 1-hour episodes than 12 45-minute ones, even though the overall running time is longer.

In any case, in spite of the increased running time, this feels like we'll be getting even less Who in the future. I hope they can at least manage a full series every year, for a change.

Also more historical stories, apparently, which may also be budgetary as they've probably already got the costumes and won't need to build as many sets.

Replies From View

Quote from: olliebean on October 10, 2017, 12:37:37 PM
The Mirror is reporting than series 11 will be only 10 episodes, but longer ones. If true, I can't help feeling this is a budgetary decision - for a programme like Doctor Who, it's probably cheaper to make 10 1-hour episodes than 12 45-minute ones, even though the overall running time is longer.

It's the Mirror, so best treat it with a pinch of salt for now.  If it's true though, we will have to assume that it's because Moffat can't manage to do Chibnall's series due to Sherlock, as every other consideration fails to bash through the biggytitbo veto system.

Replies From View

Here's something less grounded in The Mirror:

Toby Whithouse appears in Doctor Who Christmas trailer -
http://www.thegallifreytimes.co.uk/2017/10/toby-whithouse-appears-in-doctor-who.html

Robot DeNiro

There's been chatter about the show possibly moving to Sunday nights.  Hour long episodes with more historicals would fit in better on Sundays if both those rumours turn out to be true.

daf

Quote from: olliebean on October 10, 2017, 12:37:37 PM
Also more historical stories, apparently,

Nice - this has potential to be my favourite series since they brought it back.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Replies From View on October 10, 2017, 01:39:00 PM
It's the Mirror, so best treat it with a pinch of salt for now.  If it's true though, we will have to assume that it's because Moffat can't manage to do Chibnall's series due to Sherlock, as every other consideration fails to bash through the biggytitbo veto system.

All right, calm down.

lipsink

http://www.thegallifreytimes.co.uk/2017/10/toby-whithouse-appears-in-doctor-who.html
QuoteMark Gatiss has written himself into 5 episodes and plays 4 different characters in Doctor Who.

Eh? He's only been in 3 epsisodes, hasn't he? And played 3 characters. One in  'The Lazarus Experiment, one in The Wedding Of River Song, and one in the forthcoming Xmas episode. Plus he didn't write any of those. The fuck are they on about?

Replies From View

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on October 10, 2017, 02:39:38 PM
All right, calm down.

I keep forgetting when I am allowed to be cheeky on CaB.

Bad Ambassador

It's possible they're not professional journalists. And it's been known that Whithouse was in TUaT for several months.

Quote from: Replies From View on October 10, 2017, 03:29:44 PM
I keep forgetting when I am allowed to be cheeky on CaB.

It's just that a lot of the time you sound angry about people criticising Moffat. It's hard to tell the difference between sarcasm and regular mode.

Replies From View

Quote from: lipsink on October 10, 2017, 02:45:30 PM
Eh? He's only been in 3 epsisodes, hasn't he? And played 3 characters. One in  'The Lazarus Experiment, one in The Wedding Of River Song, and one in the forthcoming Xmas episode. Plus he didn't write any of those. The fuck are they on about?

He also provided the voice of Danny Boy in Victory of the Daleks (and whichever episode reprised that character).  Dunno if that's what they meant.

Replies From View

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on October 10, 2017, 03:32:40 PM
It's just that a lot of the time you sound angry about people criticising Moffat. It's hard to tell the difference between sarcasm and regular mode.

I think you just keep believing I am angry when I'm not.

Bad Ambassador

So... it's my fault I thought you should calm down? You've got pretty het up in the past.

Replies From View

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on October 10, 2017, 03:41:43 PM
So... it's my fault I thought you should calm down? You've got pretty het up in the past.

It's nobody's "fault" because nothing has happened.  But it's not the case that I have been getting "het up" - that is a tone that you have been adding.

Malcy

Ok folks, this isn't Gallifreybase...

phantom_power

Quote from: Replies From View on October 10, 2017, 03:47:37 PM
It's nobody's "fault" because nothing has happened.  But it's not the case that I have been getting "het up" - that is a tone that you have been adding.

Alright, calm down

mothman

^ Succinct.

I do hope the increased historicals aren't to take full benefit of having a female Doctor, since women have generally been considered second-class citizens (if even that) throughout much of history... Worrying now about seeing lots of "my dear woman" scenes.

Small Man Big Horse

I know a lot of people love the historicals but they tend to be my least favourite episodes, so it's bad news for me sadly.

daf

Replies From View

The Complete Series 10 DVD is available for preorder, and they've only gone and shoved 5 star bullshit on the cover.

Quite arse, I am sure you will agree.

Here are the listed extras: