Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:00:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your Top Ten Non-Comedy Shows of All Time

Started by Golden E. Pump, August 08, 2017, 09:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Quote from: notjosh on August 10, 2017, 02:41:52 PM
Why is there so much love for The Prisoner but nothing for Danger Man? It's just like The Prisoner but without that crap bit at the end when it's just his face under the mask.

I've never seen Danger Man repeated but I have seen The Prisoner.

I have also never seen Breaking Bad, The Wire or several other shows that have been mentioned a lot.

Dr Rock

So nobody much rates the likes of the Sweeney, The Professionals, Minder etc? Me either.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: notjosh on August 10, 2017, 02:41:52 PM
Why is there so much love for The Prisoner but nothing for Danger Man?

Danger Man wasn't shown on RTE 2 in 1999.

Dannyhood91

In no order.

The Wire
Breaking Bad
Babylon 5
Doctor Who
House of Cards (UK version)
Six Feet Under
Sopranos
Star Trek Deep Space 9
Carl Sagan's Cosmos: A Personal Voyage
Alan Bennett's Talking Head series

Honourable mention to The Corner (same bloke who did The Wire) as well as First Dates and Prison Break

Hangthebuggers

No order.

Band of Brothers
A Game of thrones
The Wire
The Sopranos
Breaking Bad
Fargo
Twin Peaks
Black Mirror
True Detective (series 1)
Stranger things

Subject to change.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: notjosh on August 10, 2017, 10:36:23 AM
In case you weren't aware, it's all on YouTube. Brilliant series.
Yep, hence my bafflement that I can't talk people into watching it.

Won't pretend I'm not a bit peeved that it's so easy to find now though, was a fucking nightmare to find some of those episodes back a decade ago.

Twin Peaks
The Prisoner
Earthfasts
Only Connect
Breaking Bad
Brookside
Byker Grove
The X-Files
Mad Men

Konki

Lady Chatterley's Lover
The Singing Detective
Moll Flanders
Oranges are not the Only Fruit
This Life
Eurotrash
Tipping the Velvet
Secret Diary of a Call Girl
Television X 10 minute free view
The Wire

Joey,
Miranda,
Everybody Loves Raymond,
The Big Bang Theory,
The Persuasionists,
Derek,
Nathan Barley,
Home Improvement, 
Two and a Half Men,
How I Met Your Mother

jake thunder

1. Soprano
2. Wire
3. Dead Wood
4. Break Bad
5. Far Go
6. House of Thrones

Cuellar

1. Danny Dyer's Deadliest Men
2. Real Football Factories with Danny Dyer
3. Eastenders

Actually that's it.

Edit:

4. Bargain Hunt
5. The house thing with Caroline Quentin
6. Old Grey whistle Test
7. Death on the Staircase
8. Inspector Morse Investigates
9. Strictly Cum Dancing
10. Fake Taxi

BeardFaceMan

Not seeing too much love for Oz, which is suprising. Yes, it did get silly towards the end but there would be no Sopranos and everything else that followed without it, it was truly groundbreaking drama.

And The Shield too, which I prefer over The Wire, one of the few shows that got its final season and ending right, definitely went out on a high.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Cuellar on August 11, 2017, 05:10:13 PM
10. Fake Taxi

Genuinely find this watchable in a non-wanky kind of way.  Every episode is fraught with the tension of whether the bloke will get his arsehole licked.

You ever tried to watch pr0n with the volume muted and some Lynchy industrial music played on top?  Turns even the basest videos into cutting-edge arthouse.

Johnny Textface

3. Six Feet Under
6. The Knick
2. The Wire
7. The Sopranos
5. Breaking Bad
9. Line of Duty
4. The Leftovers
8. Game of Thrones
10. Death on the Staircase
1. Auf Wiedersehen Pet

Special mention of recent joy 'Can't Pay? We'll Take it Away'

biggytitbo

- Columbo
- Doctor Who
- Arthur C Clarkes Mysterious World
- Timeshift
- Arena
- Omnibus
- Quatermass (1979)
- In Search Of...
- Louis Theroux...
- The Mark Steel Lectures
- Tales of ther Unexpected

DrGreggles

Quote from: Johnny Textface on August 11, 2017, 07:03:17 PM
Special mention of recent joy 'Can't Pay? We'll Take it Away'

Oh yes! It's up there with World's Wildest Police Chases in my 'I Really Shouldn't Like This, But...' list.
Although they need to ditch showing evictions and focus on those businesses who pretend to be a different company to avoid paying debts. I love seeing those fucking getting caught out.

BTW, for clarification before I submit my list, is Takeshi's Castle a comedy?

Johnny Textface

Quote from: DrGreggles on August 11, 2017, 09:56:54 PM
Oh yes! It's up there with World's Wildest Police Chases in my 'I Really Shouldn't Like This, But...' list.
Although they need to ditch showing evictions and focus on those businesses who pretend to be a different company to avoid paying debts. I love seeing those fucking getting caught out.

BTW, for clarification before I submit my list, is Takeshi's Castle a comedy?

Having had think about some of the costumes, I'd say it must be.

Was "It's a knockout" any good? I have very vague memories of watching it as a nipper. Same sort of thing?

There's been  a couple of CP?WTIA! (catchy) filmed round near where I live which is even better.

Brundle-Fly

Off the top of my head tonight?

1) The Outer Limits (60s versh)
2) Top Of The Pops
3) Forty Minutes
4) Oz
5) Dexter
6) Hannibal
7) The Walking Dead
8) The Six Million Dollar Man
9) Film (insert year)
10)Barbapapa

Hons: The Clangers, Anything by Jimmy McGovern, House Of Cards UK, Hammer House Of Horror, Tales Of The Unexpected, Bates Motel, Coronation Street up to about five years ago.

Clive Langham

1. Heimat.
2. I, Claudius.
3 The Wire.
4. Talking Heads.
5. A Very British Coup.
6. Elizabeth R.
7. The Twilight Zone.
8. Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
9. Twin Peaks.
10. Play For Today.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: Clive Langham on August 13, 2017, 08:16:46 PM
1. Heimat.
How easy of a watch is this? Would it be pretty easy to watch with potentially sizeable gaps between batch viewings?

I would say including something like Play For Today is really stretching things though (tbh I kind of think I was stretching it by including Dekalog), it's more a spotlight type thing than a show of itself, surely? Like, I can't imagine the play for today funding was specifically for play for today projects as maybe a BBC/public incentive towards promoting the arts (specifically filmmaking) and the projects would just be slotted into whichever one of those series it suited best.

Sin Agog

Yeah, I remember being recomended that once but then swiftly forgot the name.  It follows the lifespan of several German families, right?

I wonder if Berlin Alexanderplatz would count as a TV series.

You kind of have to include mini-series and the like.  I know they're neither fully TV nor film, but otherwise they'd get shafted from such lists as these, and there are so many good ones.

mr. logic

Columbo
The Sopranos
The Wire
Mad Men
Johnathan Creek
The Killing (Danish, first series)
The West Wing
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Band of Brothers
Match of the Day

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: Sin Agog on August 14, 2017, 10:02:07 AM
Yeah, I remember being recomended that once but then swiftly forgot the name.  It follows the lifespan of several German families, right?

I wonder if Berlin Alexanderplatz would count as a TV series.

You kind of have to include mini-series and the like.  I know they're neither fully TV nor film, but otherwise they'd get shafted from such lists as these, and there are so many good ones.
I would say the online reason people wouldn't count Scenes from a Marriage or Berlin Alexanderplatz is because they're not in English. Like, no one would think twice about Band of Brothers and it's a miniseries.

If the "mini" part was 3 episodes or fewer, or if the TV series was just a means of bleeding extra money out of what otherwise would be a stupid long film (e.g. I think Das Boot and Emir Kursturica's Yugoslavian era of films done this)

Clive Langham

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on August 14, 2017, 09:45:25 AM
How easy of a watch is this? Would it be pretty easy to watch with potentially sizeable gaps between batch viewings?

I'd say it's no harder a watch than The Wire. Give it a go.

Clive Langham

Quote from: Sin Agog on August 14, 2017, 10:02:07 AM

Yeah, it's the life of a German village from 1919 to 1982.

I think it's probably the best TV series  ever made. Stanley Kubrick was a big fan - he had a still from it framed over his desk.

Clive Langham

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on August 14, 2017, 09:45:25 AM
I would say including something like Play For Today is really stretching things though

You are right - it is stretching it. Then again, Play For Today is an anthology drama series, just like Black Mirror, The Twilight Zone, or The Outer Limits. It's just a much, much longer one.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: Clive Langham on August 14, 2017, 10:41:40 AM
You are right - it is stretching it. Then again, Play For Today is an anthology drama series, just like Black Mirror, The Twilight Zone, or The Outer Limits. It's just a much, much longer one.
Black Mirror and The Twilight Zone both have fairly consistent creative leads and production crews overseeing the whole thing though. Haven't a clue about the Outer Limits but I'd be surprised if it didn't reuse a lot of things just for the sake of convenience (writers, cast, directors, studios, etc).

Play for Today is surely just a bunch of films funded by various public sector interests with some vague trends (e.g. trying to provide an overall view of English society by having the settings have a pretty wide variance).

Clive Langham

Play For Today used a lot of the same directors and writers though (Dennis Potter and Mike Leigh both did a bunch of stuff for example) and, as far as I know, all the plays were all done "in house" by BBC staff and with BBC funding. I'll admit it didn't have an overarching sci fi/horror "theme" like The Twilight Zone or Black Mirror.

I think it's how long it was that's the sticking point here. If Play For Today had only had eighteen episodes rather than three hundred I don't think anyone would object to me including it.

VelourSpirit

I just realised I've barely watched anything good

Twin Peaks
The X Files
Buffy
Freaks and Geeks
Cowboy Bebop
Breaking Bad
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Fargo season 1
True Detective season 1
Doctor Who (I have a sort of lifelong unconditional love for it that transcends any other TV series, so it should be on my list but I wouldn't say it's really good)

I've got Dekalog on blu ray sitting on my shelf and I'm about to finally watch The Wire on Now TV, though my discounted subscription runs out in a month so I'd better be really quick about it. But then of course it's October and I want to spend it watching loads of horror things, and I've got about 30 films on there I want to watch before it runs out... how have people just made so much stuff?