Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:40:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Darren Aronofsky's Mother!

Started by Glebe, August 08, 2017, 09:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Mother! trailer.

So what do you reckon, folks? Looks kinda creepy, good cast... nice to see Pfeiffer and Harris involved, too. I've not seen Aronofsky's last film, Noah, although that looked a bit cheesy to be honest.

Mr Brightside

Yes. I would like to register my interest in this. Trailers are way too revealing nowadays, though.

greenman

Looks well made but disappointing generic to me although I spose that might be those making the trailers looking to sell it as they do most horror films.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Glebe on August 08, 2017, 09:34:32 PM
I've not seen Aronofsky's last film, Noah, although that looked a bit cheesy to be honest.

It's dreadful.  Makes Ridley Scott's Exodus look like a masterpiece.  I don't understand the relatively high praise it got from most critics.  But then I can't stand Russell Crowe, and he's a large part of the reason (I think) it's so bad.

Phil_A

Aronofsky is a very hit and miss director I feel. Love Pi, Black Swan and Requiem For A Dream, but The Fountain was a massive disappointment. This could go either way, basically.

Wet Blanket

I have high hopes; looks to be in the Black Swan mould

Blinder Data

The audio-only trailer for this that gave nothing away got me excited in the cinema.

I hope to hear nothing else about it before watching it (except reviews saying it's good obvs).

hewantstolurkatad

Aronofsky's kinda shite though, isn't he? Pi is a first film, tons of promise but it's all a bit show offy nothing; Requiem for a Dream (hilarious), the Fountain and Noah combined should assure just about anyone that whatever promise was there is pretty heavily squandered.

Considering how untapped of a goldmine topic it was, the casting choice carrying it, and how it doesn't fit in with the rest of his stuff so much, I find it hard to give him much credit for the Wrestler.

Black Swan's a potentially huge cancellation to most of the shite I'm spouting here though, my memory of it was "had this been done by an actual maniac like Polanski it would've ruled, this is just cold in all the wrong ways though" but it has been aaaaages and obviously seems like the kind of thing that'd suit Aronofsky's trashiness pretty well..

Blinder Data

Plus he's now banging Jennifer Lawrence! After banging and then binning Rachel Weisz.

Not fucking on, Aronofsky. I hope your new film is plops.

Twit 2

Pi - great.
Requiem - technically interesting, great acting, but silly
The Fountain - admirably ambitious but silly
The Wrestler - Not seen
Black Swan - retread of pi and req, silly but fun
Noah - silly

greenman

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on August 09, 2017, 05:37:36 PM
Black Swan's a potentially huge cancellation to most of the shite I'm spouting here though, my memory of it was "had this been done by an actual maniac like Polanski it would've ruled, this is just cold in all the wrong ways though" but it has been aaaaages and obviously seems like the kind of thing that'd suit Aronofsky's trashiness pretty well..

Somewhat trashy I'd agree but I do think it still holds up pretty well, that said it feels a lot less unique today than it did at the time for me. It felt rather like Aronofsky got first to a more mainstream market with a style that had been developing a bit more outside mainstream Hollywood for awhile. Hard to define exactly but intense drama's with a ton of emtoional closeups/shallow depth of field/chiaroscuro and pretty often often a good deal of flesh ala say Wong Kar Wai. Since then we've had stuff like say Portman again in Jackie last year, Under The Skin, Shame, Blue is the Warmest Colour, etc that used a lot of the same tools arguably more successfully.

spamwangler

this looks like it could be some top hysterical fun - but then i thought noah was really silly, but marvelously ridiculously so.
had a bit of a 'the skin i live in' sort of vibe to it

lovely sound in the trailer also

Gulftastic

spamwangler

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Gulftastic on August 09, 2017, 09:24:07 PM
The exclamation point in the title just makes me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zptqBefrg_Q&t=13m32s

Heh! That's exactly what I thought of too.

Glebe

New trailer already.

That 'wowwowwow' noise is lifted from the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers, right?

kidsick5000

Quote from: Glebe on August 16, 2017, 04:36:04 AM
New trailer already.

That 'wowwowwow' noise is lifted from the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers, right?

It's also just the sound of a heart beating/blood pumping.

The bigger question is asked by Gurdar Singh in the comments
QuoteSexy girl fuck u valve balls nipples soft hair buy u cost tell me balls nippkes valve sleep naked with me

Shaky

Quote from: kidsick5000 on August 16, 2017, 09:48:50 AM
The bigger question is asked by Gurdar Singh in the comments

QuoteSexy girl fuck u valve balls nipples soft hair buy u cost tell me balls nippkes valve sleep naked with me

He's just quoting from one of Barry Norman's lesser reviews.

Dr Syntax Head

I will not watch trailer but have high hopes for another Aronofsky film. Requiem is one of my favourites because I'm a dark motherfucker. I watch it every Mother's Day.

Glebe

Shit Good Nose

So that was a film.

Took Mrs Nose to see it this morning for her birthday (her choice).

Very much like Black Swan in that she liked it a lot more than I did (it's nothing like Black Swan though, aside from stylistically being Aronofsky of course).

Odd film - it would only take a few very minor tweaks to make it a comedy.

Figured out the "twist" immediately, but not cos I'm a super clever cunt or owt, it's just obvious from the film itself.

Anchorman quote is very apt - "boy, that escalated fast!"

6/10 maybe.  Mrs Nose would give it an 8.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 15, 2017, 04:39:43 PM

Figured out the "twist" immediately, but not cos I'm a super clever cunt or owt, it's just obvious from the film itself.

To the extent I'd argue it's not even really a twist. I really liked the film though.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on September 15, 2017, 05:20:10 PM
To the extent I'd argue it's not even really a twist.

Hence why I put it in quotes.

Even though Mrs Nose did like it a lot, she had to agree that the beginning completely ruins the film, because you can see it all coming.  Just have it start when she wakes up - same point is made, but far more intrigue from the beginning.

Yeah, I'd agree.

Following the fire at the beginning, the shot of her waking up felt off, like something was wrong. So from that point it's constant watching for what's happening. The moment you see the wound in Ed Harris's side and then Michelle Pfeiffer turns up the next day it's really clear where it's going.

Bazooka

I like most of Aronofsky's stuff, I have just never liked Jennifer Lawrence in anything.

Wet Blanket

The most fascinating thing for me is how this Lars Von Trier-style fuck-you-film, a bizarre mash-up of Rosemary's Baby, Life of Brian and Stardust Memories, got a wide mainstream release. I've not known a more brazen misrepresentation of a film in trailers since The Artist skirted around the fact it was silent.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: Wet Blanket on September 16, 2017, 10:55:53 AM
The most fascinating thing for me is how this Lars Von Trier-style fuck-you-film, a bizarre mash-up of Rosemary's Baby, Life of Brian and Stardust Memories, got a wide mainstream release. I've not known a more brazen misrepresentation of a film in trailers since The Artist skirted around the fact it was silent.
It's really the first time Jennifer Lawrence's career where she hasn't done pretty much the most mainstream thing she possibly could, that alone would prompt some major distributor to chuck it out there.

hermitical

Quote from: Wet Blanket on September 16, 2017, 10:55:53 AM

did you enjoy it?

Wet Blanket

I would say that I enjoyed it but didn't like it. Or maybe I liked it but didn't enjoy it. It's certainly visceral, and virtuoso film-making on a technical level, but I'm not sure it has all that much substance behind the alienating content. Certainly not compared to say, Salo, or Michael Haneke at his most provocative.

It reminded me a lot of Antichrist

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Wet Blanket on September 16, 2017, 12:11:55 PM
I'm not sure it has all that much substance behind the alienating content

You might be right, but intentionally so - in a few interviews I've read with Aronofsky, he's referred to it as "just a home invasion horror movie".  Could be that people are reading a lot more into it than is actually there.

I've also read a couple of reviews now that have taken it as a bit of a sick comedy, so it's not just me.  A good one I read (although I forget where I read it now) summed it up as an extreme What About Bob?.