Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:16:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Darren Aronofsky's Mother!

Started by Glebe, August 08, 2017, 09:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spamwangler

i loved this to bits. Didnt really pay any attention to any of the allegorical bollocks, Just read it as a horror rollercoaster, Jeniffer lawrance has a TOTALLY dogshit couple of days, the end. like Desolation; the film.

i really like Ledgend Darren - its like someone heavily concussed a depressed plumber and forced him to make a film. i think the allegorical stuff is a bit of a red herring, Ledgendofski needs to be watched like a micheal bay film rather than a fellinitarkofsbrick; like a late night kebab, or a load of mdma licked off a strangers phone screen at a gabba night- reach for the lazers and try not to think about the fact youve shat yourself

9/10 should have cut all that stuff at the end after the last big bang

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

This was naffing off Netflix yesterday, so I figured I should finally get around to giving it a watch.

I can see how it would seem like complete nonsense if you were expecting a realistic story. I'd seen the allegorical reading ages ago though, so it seemed pretty straightforward to me. I kind of wish I could have gone in cold, just to see how I would have reacted, but liked it well enough. It was certainly effectively nightmarish, reminding me of Jacob's Ladder/Silent Hill at times. Ed Harris' offputting intensity was put to particularly good use.

Having said it seemed straightforward, I was confused by some stuff: If she's mother nature and the house is Earth, what did the baby represent? The obvious answer would seem to be Jesus, but why would nature care about him? Why was 'Eve' particularly hostile to her? And what did all the octagons represent? I have a feeling that it might all be obvious if I were the pious type.