Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:59:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bollocks that scared you when you were a sprog

Started by Jockice, August 10, 2017, 12:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: JohnnyCouncil on August 10, 2017, 10:12:46 PM
The start of Thriller.

All of Thriller! But particularly the bit where blood pours out of a zombie's mouth. First time I saw it was a very unsuitable hour like 10am on a Sunday, probably on The Chart Show or something, and again I wept in fear, despite my friend's big sister saying 'It's only mustard!' Obvious thing I realised about 20 years later; she meant ketchup.

I recall watching the Thriller video's debut UK showing in late-1983, which was late at night because of its nature. 

shiftwork2

Genuine mental scars from watching this fella get a chicken drumstick from the fridge in the shitty Quinn Martin TV movie The Aliens Are Coming.  Check out the LEDs flashing on the alien's antenna.  It's ok, 8 year old me.  Fucked me up for about a year, I went back to 'afraid of the dark'.

That bit in one of the early Christopher Lee Dracula films where the sun shines through a window, and there's a close-up of his hand melting into just skeletal bones.  I saw a clip of that when about six and that shook me up.

manticore

When I found out at the age of about ten that there were many numbers bigger than a million I felt a deep existential dread. I think it was something to do with infinity.

BJBMK2

BJBMK2

lgpmachine

Creepy countdown ambient music followed by waxworks and what sounds like a record being played backwards.  This was your reward for feigning illness to get a day off school.

https://youtu.be/PnqCtsw34EI

Icehaven

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on August 10, 2017, 10:45:37 PM
I recall watching the Thriller video's debut UK showing in late-1983, which was late at night because of its nature.

I doubt it was the first showing I saw, it was probably an edit for the Chart show or TOTP or similar, only someone didn't see fit to edit out a blood dribbling zombie, cheers.

BJBMK2

Quote from: shiftwork2 on August 10, 2017, 11:25:16 PM
I laughed at that mate, sorry.

I was the one laughing in the end, I got a day off school cos I ran out of the room crying and was too traumatised. Which, I really was. Because that's the kind of hard bastard I am. But even at seven years old, I understood a skiving opportunity when I saw it.

shiftwork2

It was more at the inappropriateness of the bed-wracking head-spin to advertise bacon.  As with my unthinking Quinn Martin production, adults don't see this the same way as 7/8 year olds.  They forget imagination is fully realised but the child doesn't necessarily know how to control it.

Bingo Fury

Things like ...

The last scene of The Man With The X-Ray Eyes.
Barlow & Watt investigating the Ripper Murders for BBC1, including descriptions of the mutilated corpses.
The rocks-with-eyes in Escape Into Night.

... all birling around in my head contributed to bedtime being a very scary time for me for ... wow, actually several years.

gib

Quote from: Cerys on August 10, 2017, 10:05:05 PM
I once hid behind the couch while watching an episode of Watch because one of the presenters fell into a vat of water in the studio and six-year-old me found it incredibly contrived and cringeworthy.  I'm not even joking.  It was a repeat, and I'd seen it before so I knew what was about to happen and I didn't want my mum to think I was enjoying watching this patronising tripe.

i hid behind the settee because of Dr Who, i swear. Also, my mum once strongly encouraged me to hide behind the settee when the jehova's's witnessess came a knocking. Was any of this real or do our memories adapt to suit the age?

Mr Banlon

How about this bit from another Armchair Thriller, Dying Day, which I recall being shown before the watershed when I was ten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFdkkFTjLc8

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Pseudopath on August 10, 2017, 02:41:47 PM
Fuck me. I used to be scared of everything when I was a kid (probably as a result of my parents letting me watch Nightmare On Elm Street, Poltergeist and Halloween at the age of five). Here's a small sample:

Worzel Gummidge falling forwards into the camera at the end of the show
The Incredible Hulk
The Esso Tiger
Dinosaur skeletons (although not the fully-fleshed ones)
Sale signs
ELS furniture store (in retrospect, it must have been a fear of the letters E, L or S...or the fact ELS always had sales on)

I was a deeply weird kid.

I'm with you on impactful advertising stings. Add to that the Norwich Union church window light thing which would invade my dreams.

Glebe

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on August 11, 2017, 07:23:06 AM
How about this bit from another Armchair Thriller, Dying Day, which I recall being shown before the watershed when I was ten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFdkkFTjLc8

I assume it 'twas you who posted that before, Phoenix. I recall that scaring the shit out of me as a kid.

Vodka Margarine

Beaker from the Muppets. The look of him, the shape of his head, the high pitched and incomprehensible panicked bletherings. The anguish and stress of a perpetual ordeal he cannot hope to ever articulate. I can very clearly remember feeling immensely sorry for him but tragically unable to intervene and that still troubles me slightly. An upsetting character all round.

The two faced baby thing from Terrahawks as well. Naff off, Zelda. Think you're scary? I've seen more disturbing tins of soup.

mothman

Who back then had living rooms large enough to have bloody couches in the middle of the floor anyway? Ours had its back up against the wall.

So I watched Dr. Who from the hallway, peering round the door jamb. Genuinely.

Icehaven

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on August 11, 2017, 10:30:56 AM
Beaker from the Muppets. The look of him, the shape of his head, the high pitched and incomprehensible panicked bletherings. The anguish and stress of a perpetual ordeal he cannot hope to ever articulate. I can very clearly remember feeling immensely sorry for him but tragically unable to intervene and that still troubles me slightly. An upsetting character all round.

I think the teacher's voice in the Peanuts/Charlie Brown cartoons used to disturb me a bit when I was too young to comprehend why I couldn't understand this weird, sad sounding noise but Peppermint Patty apparently could.

Serge

Quote from: non capisco on August 10, 2017, 09:53:30 PM
You know that short film where the guy starts seeing that black tower on the horizon everywhere he goes and ends up having a breakdown? That but with the Crooked Spire of Chesterfield. Brrrrrrr!

That film doesn't exist, mate. It really happened. TO YOU.

Glebe

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on August 11, 2017, 10:30:56 AMThe two faced baby thing from Terrahawks as well. Naff off, Zelda. Think you're scary? I've seen more disturbing tins of soup.

MOID (Master of Infinite Disguise) was the one that really put the shits up me, the weird, bleach-faced alien skeleton bloke... they got away with 'MOID'er putting that in a kids' show! (Chuckle!)

Now here's a scary two-faced baby thing:

NurseNugent

I used to hide behind the sofa when I sulking as a kid. I remember very specifically hiding there in a sulk because I didn't want to watch Father Goose which was being shown in tribute to Cary Grant who had recently died.

Things off the telly which scared me include, but are probably not limited to:

Worzel Gummidge
That bit in the  Ulysses 31 theme where they are floating lifelessly
Hilda Ogden
Yootha Joyce (because my mum kept telling me she was dead)
The Phantom Raspberry Blower.
The Scampi in Fingerbobs

Not telly stuff:

That weird welsh dresser thing in the school corridor
Woolly mammoths
The school lost property box

Icehaven

Quote from: NurseNugent on August 11, 2017, 07:43:58 PM

That bit in the  Ulysses 31 theme where they are floating lifelessly

ARRRGGGH YES! Terrifying.

JohnnyCouncil

Quote from: manticore on August 10, 2017, 11:05:23 PM
When I found out at the age of about ten that there were many numbers bigger than a million I felt a deep existential dread. I think it was something to do with infinity.

Nightmares about this, terrifiying nightmares, can still get the feeling when conscious sometimes.

Glebe

Ferris

The Winnie the Pooh cartoon where there were heffalumps and woozles. Made my parents keep it under my bed because that's how you make sure it's safely secured? I don't know.

Also alligators (despite living in the West Midlands), and the X-Files.