Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:34:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bollocks that scared you when you were a sprog

Started by Jockice, August 10, 2017, 12:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: NurseNugent on August 11, 2017, 07:43:58 PM
The Phantom Raspberry Blower.

It doesn't scare me but I've always hated people blowing raspberries. It actually sends a shiver down my spine. Even the thought of it now is making me wince. I never tell people this in real life of course because they then do it repeatedly. The human race are bastards.

New page boo.

Cerys

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 12, 2017, 01:44:04 AM
The Winnie the Pooh cartoon where there were heffalumps and woozles. Made my parents keep it under my bed because that's how you make sure it's safely secured? I don't know.

I remember one of the Winnie the Pooh books had Pooh getting his head stuck in a jar while eating honey.  I recall finding that rather disturbing when I was five or six, no doubt imagining the chance of suffocation if that happened.

TheMonk

Quote from: Pseudopath on August 10, 2017, 02:41:47 PM
Worzel Gummidge falling forwards into the camera at the end of the show
I was going to say this, it used to make me lose it as a child. Backwards, all good, but forwards I was a screaming mess. (Similarly, that Bobby Davro faceplant video gives me flashbacks.)

The freakiest episode of Worzel Gummidge is the one where he throws this fella off a bridge into a moving train, then goes back to his post and he's waiting with a traindriver hat on. Nightmarish.

Custard

Ferris

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on August 12, 2017, 09:59:27 PM
I remember one of the Winnie the Pooh books had Pooh getting his head stuck in a jar while eating honey.  I recall finding that rather disturbing when I was five or six, no doubt imagining the chance of suffocation if that happened.

The VHS tape was a double header, with the nice cartoon about weather ("A Blustery Day" I seem to recall) that I quite enjoyed. The growing dread of knowing what was next on the VHS really tempered my enjoyment of the latter half of said cartoon. One time I put the blustery day on, but hadn't rewound the tape so actually the bad-acid heffalumps came on instead. I can still taste the fear.

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 13, 2017, 03:49:23 PM
The VHS tape was a double header, with the nice cartoon about weather ("A Blustery Day" I seem to recall) that I quite enjoyed. The growing dread of knowing what was next on the VHS really tempered my enjoyment of the latter half of said cartoon. One time I put the blustery day on, but hadn't rewound the tape so actually the bad-acid heffalumps came on instead. I can still taste the fear.

28 years old, I was.

Brundle-Fly

The dead eyed stares of Joe and his dreary parents. The fact his voice sounded like the Mr Shadrack from the TV series, Billy Liar. (1974)

God, you can almost hear the gears grinding with this boring programme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvoCQxm9GEQ

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 13, 2017, 04:49:29 PM
The fact his voice sounded like the Mr Shadrack from the TV series, Billy Liar. (1974)

The bit in the 1960s Billy Liar film where he has a nightmare and sees the woman sitting in the chair knitting with a horses head while talking to him was quite weird and freaky.  Just after that, in the dream, you see him cowering back, staring at something unseen in fear as you hear vague voices and sounds.  The fact you can't see what he's scared of made it all the more creepy as it let your imagination fill in with vague images more disturbing than an overt concrete image.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 13, 2017, 05:58:11 PM

And this. Jesus fuck, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJoZsQkFDtM

The closing credits for Armchair Thriller were cooler than the opening.  Although similar, it has a really creepy added bit during the first 20 seconds that precedes a reprise of the introductory theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAEP0QruYIU

Brundle-Fly

Not forgetting this tummy turning tune. It's actually not creepy in the slightest but creepy by association of what was in store. In fact, the theme sounds like it should be for a Sunday night BBC drama circa 1978 called The House Of Beige starring Peter Barkworth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0rwczKs1Pc

Then, of course, there was always this bastard appearing at the end titles of Star Trek. This is something I have nominated in these regular 'scary shit from the past' threads about four times now over the past ten years. Christ, I'm boring.

I was disappointed when I eventually saw the episode at what Balok amounts to be. I also thought he was leaning on a desk and had disgusting, tiny  flippers but they transpired to be his collar and the desk was his shoulders.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on August 13, 2017, 06:12:37 PM
The closing credits for Armchair Thriller were cooler than the opening.  Although similar, it has a really creepy added bit during the first 20 seconds that precedes a reprise of the introductory theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAEP0QruYIU

That's the opening credit roll to the episode that contained the moment that's left what might be the most enduring scar of my TV-viewing childhood (and I watched Faces of Death and The Evil Dead long before I reached my teens). I remember talking about it a while ago on here:

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,35990.msg2533840.html#msg2533840

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 13, 2017, 06:57:14 PM

That's the opening credit roll to the episode that contained the moment that's left what might be the most enduring scar of my TV-viewing childhood (and I watched Faces of Death and The Evil Dead long before I reached my teens). I remember talking about it a while ago on here:

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,35990.msg2533840.html#msg2533840

Did you ever find out the name of the film/ HHOH episode?

Paul Calf

Norton Canes

I read a kids' book on astronomy when I was about six or seven which explained that the sun was going to turn into a red giant, swell to thousands of times its current size and consume the planet Earth. Despite the fact I fully understood this was not supposed to happen for a few million years I was seized by a paralyzing fear and had to retreat to my bed for the rest of the day in a state of utter terror.

I distinctly remember being in Birmingham bus station when we lived there (in Halesowen, not the bus station) and seeing these arms spinning round in a pit beneath one of the buses, like an angry mechanical creature was try to escape but the bus was blocking its way out. I guess it must have been some kind of automated underneath-of-bus washing system (unless I dreamed the whole thing) but at the time it terrified me.

Then there was this clock in Dunstable's Quadrant shopping centre:

My grandad took me there a couple of times (he knew an exciting day out my grandad) and this fucking thing loomed over me, with all its spiky scaffolding bits and sharp angles; I was completely petrified, and spent the whole time attempting to escape its baleful gaze

Worse than that, though, was:

My dad bought it home from work one day and I put it on the turntable eagerly... hour and a half later I was a quaking mess, hiding in the alcove under the hi-fi unit with only a packet of peanut cookies for comfort, completely traumatized. To this day I cannot touch a peanut cookie.

Oh yeah, then there was the first time my mum and dad decided it would be OK to leave me in the house for the evening while they went out to a party. It probably would have been OK if it hadn't been the UK TV premiere of the 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Didn't help that there was a fucking massive thunderstorm that night too. Parents return to find me cowering beneath bedclothes. 

Oh yeah and also, don't start on Honey by Bobby Goldsboro, the line "One day while I was not home, while she was there and all alone, the angels came", accompanied by an angelic choir, immediately conjured up the nightmarish idea that angels might turn up at our house at any time to spirit me away.

I didn't think there were so many of these. Holy shit, what a weak and sickly child I must have been.

mothman

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 13, 2017, 09:12:13 PM
I read a kids' book on astronomy when I was about six or seven which explained that the sun was going to turn into a red giant, swell to thousands of times its current size and consume the planet Earth. Despite the fact I fully understood this was not supposed to happen for a few million years I was seized by a paralyzing fear and had to retreat to my bed for the rest of the day in a state of utter terror.

Oh God, me too! I think the bit that got me were the pictures of Earth as a frozen wasteland when the sun becomes a brown dwarf or whatever. It never occurred to me I wouldn't be there to see it.

Norton Canes

Can't find an image of the possibly-even-imaginary Birmingham bus station underneath-bus-cleaning machine, sorry.

Glebe

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on August 13, 2017, 08:59:08 PMChildren of the Full Moon, to be precise.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087051/?ref_=ttep_ep8

A wonderfully odd and atmospheric episode. There were a load of HHoH and Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense episodes up on YouTube, but they've been taken down... still a few up.

Also, here's a topic I did. Still haven't gotten round to finishing HHoMaS...

Rewatched Hammer House of Horror, a few years ago.  Mark of Satan and Thirteenth Reunion are the most disturbing, with themes of cannibalism, intended infanticide, possession and/or psychosis.  Two Faces of Evil, Children of the Full Moon and Charlie Boy are good runners-up and still look well-made and scary.  House That Bled To Death and Growing Pains both look a bit daft now, though.

Brundle-Fly

My mum's old wig stand. It's funny to think women used to wear bubble wigs in the sixties. Anyway, she kept it in the airing cupboard and it really scared the crap out me after I had a vivid dream about it one night. The lump of polysterene basically came alive and was flying around the house screaming, Help meeeeeee!!!!! with tears streaming out of its bright neon blue eyes.

It was basically a mish mash of my childhood fear of these things. (including Balok)