Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:15:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Death of Stalin, Armando Iannucci

Started by MoonDust, August 11, 2017, 01:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoonDust

Trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukJ5dMYx2no

Set to release in the UK on 20th October. I think it looks great. First film he's done since In the Loop, and the cast looks fantastic.

Thoughts?

Twit 2

I THINK IT LOOKS GREAT AND THE CAST LOOKS FANTASTIC

selectivememory

Was going to start this thread but couldn't be arsed! I am looking forward to it!

Twit 2

dr beat

The trailer looks very promising indeed, can't wait to see the likes of Russel Beale, Buscemi, Palin etc etc all in the same film.  Getting the characters to speak in their native US and English accents is interesting, I'm guessing thats a device to try and make the subject matter more relatable to Western audiences.

If I can add a note of caution, the performances did seem a bit broader and maybe overly-hysterical at times (or a bit stagey?), hope that might just be how down to how the trailer has been edited.

Glebe

Looks like a lot of fun, great cast... nice to see Palin on the big screen again. Paul Whitehouse pops up too by the look of it.

Posters:

MoonDust

imitationleather

biggytitbo

Looks a bit flat and stagey from the trailer, In the Loop didn't really need to be cinematic but I hope Iannucci can do more with this as director. Excited to see any comedy film with Michael Palin in though.

Russell Beale is playing Beria I see, a serial killer and mass rapist who likely was behind Stalin's death.

greenman

Quote from: dr beat on August 11, 2017, 02:20:04 PM
The trailer looks very promising indeed, can't wait to see the likes of Russel Beale, Buscemi, Palin etc etc all in the same film.  Getting the characters to speak in their native US and English accents is interesting, I'm guessing thats a device to try and make the subject matter more relatable to Western audiences.

If I can add a note of caution, the performances did seem a bit broader and maybe overly-hysterical at times (or a bit stagey?), hope that might just be how down to how the trailer has been edited.

That would be my main worry, the trailer comes across as great fun but is that style going to grate over an entire film?

Mr Eggs

I am wanking at the the thought of this. Simon Russell Beale FFS.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: MoonDust on August 11, 2017, 02:24:32 PM
Iannucci likes his silhouette designs:

Obviously a fan of Saul Bass. Which is good.

Quote from: Mr Banlon on August 11, 2017, 10:43:01 PM
Obviously a fan of Saul Bass. Which is good.

The latest poster's silhouette's have a bit of a Tintin or Josef Lada's Good Soldier Svejk look about them. Looking forward to this. Am I right in thinking Simon Russell Beale has gone bald for the role but not in his life?

mrapollo

I've seen it and I have to say it's fantastic. Incredibly funny and dark as fuck. And Simon Russell Beale is outstanding in it. I think the trailer is a good representation of what to expect, the whole ensemble work together so, so well (for example, there's a fantastic scene with Palin speechifying at a meeting and everyone trying to work out what he's saying and whether to agree with him or not).
The graphic novels are worth a read too, although the film sticks pretty closely to them so avoid them if you want to see the film 'cold'.

touchingcloth

Quote from: dr beat on August 11, 2017, 02:20:04 PM
Getting the characters to speak in their native US and English accents is interesting, I'm guessing thats a device to try and make the subject matter more relatable to Western audiences.

That stood out to me from the trailer, and I wondered if it might have been a deliberate decision to reflect the lowly backgrounds of a lot of the Soviet higher-ups. That said, it might have just been a pragmatic decision based on the nationalities of the cast - it would certainly be jarring to see the lot of them speaking English in Russian accents with varying degrees of success.

Other than that I think it looks great and the cast looks fantastic.

Gurke and Hare

I think this will get me to a cinema for the first time since Grand Budapest Hotel.

biggytitbo

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 12, 2017, 12:15:49 PM
That stood out to me from the trailer, and I wondered if it might have been a deliberate decision to reflect the lowly backgrounds of a lot of the Soviet higher-ups. That said, it might have just been a pragmatic decision based on the nationalities of the cast - it would certainly be jarring to see the lot of them speaking English in Russian accents with varying degrees of success.

I think its just because it would be awful if everyone put on cod russian accents wouldnt it?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Churchill: The Hollywood Years with In The Loop type dialogue.

Doesn't seem to be aiming very high but might well be a laugh. Also just those brief moments of Palin, amazing.

biggytitbo

Someone make lots of comedy films with Michael Palin before he dies please. I'd do it but I lost my clapperboard.

DukeDeMondo

I don't know. That trailer looks like a load of shit to me. Overwritten. Swearing by someone who never swears. It doesn't look good. Trailers are never anyway representative of the film they promote, so who knows. But that trailer is rubbish.

Urinal Cake

Looks like 'In the Loop: Historical Russia and Loud'

Kelvin

Quote from: touchingcloth on August 12, 2017, 12:15:49 PM

Surely it's because it's a comedy film, and comedy always benefits from good timing and good delivery. If the film was subtitled, the cast's performance would be significantly dulled on English speaking audiences*. And if they used crap Russian accents, it would just sound shit. Iannucci's just wisely chosen to prioritise the comedy over authenticity.

*Obviously there are good subtitled comedies, but for the reasons I mention above, it's obvious that they'd be funnier if you understood the language.

Mango Chimes

'Spinners and Losers' Blackaddered into a different time period and country.  I'm quite happy with Armando's Thick Of It extended universe.  And PALIN.  Palin Palin Palin.  Hope he's in it for more than five minutes.

imitationleather

As an aside, I saw In the Loop before I ever watched The Thick Of It and thought it was absolutely amazing. One of the funniest films I had ever seen. Then I came on here and saw that in the opinion of a lot of TTOI fans it was seen as quite a bit of a letdown. I've not rewatched it since I actually saw TTOI as I'm worried it'll look shit now. I guess it's that comedy is something that frequently works better in a shorter format. It's like when Arrested Development got axed and they were talking about a film version I was thinking "How can that possibly be good? The episodic nature of it is one its big aspects."

Twit 2

Mango Chimes

Quote from: imitationleather on August 13, 2017, 07:26:37 PMThen I came on here and saw that in the opinion of a lot of TTOI fans it was seen as quite a bit of a letdown. I've not rewatched it since I actually saw TTOI as I'm worried it'll look shit now. I guess it's that comedy is something that frequently works better in a shorter format.

In The Loop is great, and the two longer specials are the best of the series. The last series really suffered from cramming plots into shorter episode lengths.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Mango Chimes on August 13, 2017, 08:29:42 PM
In The Loop is great, and the two longer specials are the best of the series. The last series really suffered from cramming plots into shorter episode lengths.

100% agree.

jobotic

Quote from: biggytitbo on August 11, 2017, 07:14:53 PM
Looks a bit flat and stagey from the trailer, In the Loop didn't really need to be cinematic but I hope Iannucci can do more with this as director. Excited to see any comedy film with Michael Palin in though.

Russell Beale is playing Beria I see, a serial killer and mass rapist who likely was behind Stalin's death.

Killer and rapist, yes, but likely behind Stalin's death?

Twit 2