Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:13:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oxide Ghosts - UK screenings

Started by AzureSky, August 15, 2017, 07:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HAVANAGILA

Just back from seeing this in Glasgow. The film was excellent - I'm quite happy to leave it as a one-off viewing, but I'm really glad I saw it and would strongly encourage any Chris Morris fans to do the same. The Q+A with Michael Cumming was, if anything, even better - such a privilege to hear him talk with candour and self deprecating humour about a series he's clearly very proud of. And he was very fulsome in his praise for my question about the opening credits, which didn't hurt. As imitationleather mentioned upthread, he Barry Admin's question from the Belfast showing as the only one that's left him truly stumped, and he namechecked CaB too, which felt a bit weird...I stayed silent though!

zomgmouse

Anyone know if there's any planned UK screenings of this round late July/August?

the

Listings page seems to have gone - but there's a specific OG page instead:

http://www.michaelcumming.co.uk/oxide%20ghosts/

June and September, it seems.

zomgmouse

Quote from: the on June 26, 2018, 02:09:01 PM
June and September, it seems.
Argh! That's the months right outside when I'm in the UK. God damn it.

Clownbaby

I'd chew off ma tits to see this but it's not likely I'm going to eh

Portmeirion???

the

Some more dates added:

September
7th Portmeirion, Festival No. 6 - 7.30pm at The Gatehouse
8th Portmeirion, Festival No. 6 - Midnight at The Gatehouse

October
22nd Exeter, Picturehouse - On sale soon
23rd Southampton, Harbour Lights - On sale soon

November
25th London, Backyard Comedy Club

Ciarán

I went to this in Exeter and here's what I found out:

Robert Wyatt wanted to see the film in London but the cinema in question was not wheelchair accessible, so Michael Cumming is going to go round his house and show him it.

Michael Cumming thought one question from the audience was the most interesting one he'd been asked while touring the film; it was something like: "If you could go back 200 years what art form would Brass Eye be most like? What form would it have had to take?" Cummings thought "painting" and noted that he had studied Fine Art.

I asked a question myself, it was roughly this: I said "Between Brass Eye being postponed and finally airing you had to go to NME and Melody Maker for updates on what was going on with it and I'm aware Steven Wells, David Quantick and Arthur Mathews were all music journalists writing for Brass Eye. Was there a deliberate effort being made to leverage public opinion to add to the pressure on Channel 4 to broadcast it, by leaking info to the music papers?" Cumming's response was: "Yes exactly as you put it. But it wasn't coming from Chris, it was others involved in the production of it. Although Quantick didn't write as much as you might think even though the programme has a very 'music' sensibility. For example most of the joke credits we inserted are silly pop stars or musicians - that came from the music influence."

He addressed the rumour about Morris having handed him a lot more tapes of rushes and stated this never happened, but he knows Morris has more footage and if he ever does give it to him he might cut it into a longer film.

The Noel Edmonds killing Clive Anderson bit was intended to interrupt a Channel 4 programme much later in the evening but the channel wouldn't allow it. They wouldn't allow it to interrupt an advert either. They only allowed it at all with the compromise that Gina McKee's character wear a false moustache (suggested by Cumming and his team).

The cinema was half empty by the way, and the laughs trailed off about half way through I thought.

SPOILERS: Bestjoke in my view was the one about foxes in a circle "thinking about you" which has been mentioned elsewhere. There were a lot of jokes which fit the tone of the show but were not that impressive, like an extended bit of the Priests with Guns segment wherein the priest has a lot of Morrisisms to describe his mass (the congregation are "moo moos" etc). Also a section from Animals about miniature whales being bred to collect pens from the ocean floor accompanies film of a whale swimming near an underwater pipe; it's a lesser version of the "vast cat heads underground" joke I think. There is also Lindsey de Paul in Animals being interviewed by David Jatt about the cow being shot out of a cannon, saying (I'm paraphrasing here) "these people are natives, you can't expect them to behave civilly..."

I won't spoil anymore. It's really worth seeing but I agree the best bits made the final cut. Great to hear Cumming's thoughts on it all he's clearly and justifiably very proud of Brass Eye.

Tikwid

Quote from: Ciarán on October 26, 2018, 08:53:39 PM
I went to this in Exeter...
Oh hey, I went to the Exeter one too! (I provided the Robert Wyatt/Eric Andre Show woo's, and asked the question about what Brass Eye might've been like 20 years earlier. Absolutely promise I wasn't scheming with that other person to make the Q&A entirely time-travel themed)

Considering this was the first event of its kind I've ever really been to, I honestly liked it a lot. I did appreciate how, between the half-empty cinema and the lack of a microphone, the event felt nice and intimate - I might not have enjoyed it as much if it was a full house in a larger venue. That being said, getting to appreciate the jokes (even ones already seen in the show proper) out loud as a communal experience was definitely enjoyable, and as was pointed out, serves to show just how popular Brass Eye's remained all this time later.

Probably don't have much to add about the film itself that hasn't already been said; I was breathless through much of it, especially that obscene models experiment near the start, and even just imagining the unrealised Victorian stage of Chris' late-night drug search was a hoot. The audience did dip off a little in the latter half like you said, but ultimately I was impressed at how well it kept up the quality throughout, considering it was essentially a B-roll compilation (albeit a stylishly-presented one, and a rare-to-see one at that).

Also: BOLLOCK IN A COT.

MrTalmann

Hi guys, I was the faintly nervous bloke who hosted the event in Exeter! Really lovely to hear you both enjoyed it, Michael was so receptive and open to answering in detail - to hear him reminiscing about his first meeting with Morris etc. was something really rather special. Agreed that it was so nice to hear him talk about the show with such pride and fondness. Bizarrely had bought Gurney Slade a few days prior so was a surreal coincidence to have him mention it quite a few times. As you say it was quite a small audience, so was a huge relief to see there were lots of questions - really bloody good ones from you guys; the music one was intimidatingly knowledgeable, and the time travel tangent was a really left-field, interesting moment.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

king_tubby

QuoteAlthough Quantick didn't write as much as you might think

Well obviously.

hermitical

I wanted to go to the Exeter show a well but personal stuff got in the way, and this was after having to sell my ticket to a Bristol showing as well.

Sad not to have been there but thanks for organising it...

Clownbaby

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I still cannot fucking believe I missed the Leeds show. FUCK YOU ALL

spraticus

went to the Backyard, Bethnal Green screening yesterday.

Excellent film and venue was full

Really interesting to see a lot more material from Sutcliffe the Musical - an extra song and extended interview.

Malcy

the

Quote from: Malcy on February 10, 2019, 12:52:45 PMGlasgow April 4th. Brass Eye marathon & Oxide Ghosts and Q&A with Michael Cumming.

https://yikesfilmclub.bigcartel.com/product/yikes-presents-the-brass-eye-tapes-director-q-a

For people still keen to see this, it's always worth keeping an eye on this page too:

Quote from: http://www.michaelcumming.co.uk/oxide%20ghosts/Screenings scheduled for 2019 so far are:

​May

1st  Birmingham. Flatpack Festival - TBC
25th  Totnes, Devon. Sea Change Festival - TBC

Malcy

Extra show added to the afternoon of the Glasgow date.

Malcy

The Brass Eye series marathons at the Glasgow date have been cancelled. Seems CH4 incorrectly have them permission to show it saying legal issues prevent any repeats.

Extended Q&A with Michael Cummings after the Oxide Ghosts screening instead.

https://m.facebook.com/events/992604614460733?view=permalink&id=1014293012291893

Puce Moment

The Birmingham screenings are sold out - anyone have a spare?

Captain Z

There's still plenty of seats available at the Midlands Art Centre on the 12th:
https://macbirmingham.co.uk/book?id=731349

QuoteThis special evening will begin with a screening of Oxide Ghosts: The Brass Eye Tapes, a fascinating deep dive into the twisted world of Brass Eye that includes a number of never before seen outtakes and deleted scenes, plus the rare chance to see Chris Morris break character.

The second part of the screening will take the form of a Q&A with Michael, interspersed with a selection of clips from the comedy work he directed after Brass Eye, which includes such cult favourites as Rock Profile, Toast Of London and the deliciously dark BBC sketch show Snuff Box.

Didn't realise these had been announced, I will probably head to that one as a birthday present to myself.

Ferris

I'd love to see this - I'm going to be in the uk for a month in July and would travel to either end of it for a showing (will leave wife and small child in a ball pit for a few hours, they'll never know I'm gone).

I see the dates for May - have any CaBbers got an idea of how far in advance new dates are announced? I massively doubt it'll ever be shown in Canada so this is my chance to go to a screening.

Small Man Big Horse

Come over in June and you could get to watch the film and then see Stewart Lee do a work in progress show: https://earthackney.co.uk/calendar/stewart-lee-oxide-ghosts

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 16, 2019, 07:16:19 PM
Come over in June and you could get to watch the film and then see Stewart Lee do a work in progress show: https://earthackney.co.uk/calendar/stewart-lee-oxide-ghosts

Excellent, I'm definitely going! Cheers for the heads up!

Ferris

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 16, 2019, 07:16:19 PM

Gahhh this sounds amazing. I'd love to go, but late July through to early August is our timeframe due to weddings and other commitments. Such is life!

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Captain Z on April 16, 2019, 05:50:38 PM
There's still plenty of seats available at the Midlands Art Centre on the 12th:
https://macbirmingham.co.uk/book?id=731349

Didn't realise these had been announced, I will probably head to that one as a birthday present to myself.

Do it. Just saw the screening at the flatpack festival, its brilliant.

Mister Six

Probably bugger all chance of this coming to the US, eh?

the

One thing that's making me want to go and see this again is the bit with the psychologist who was charge of the Bovril experiment.