Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:01:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oxide Ghosts - UK screenings

Started by AzureSky, August 15, 2017, 07:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

Quote from: weirdbeard on September 16, 2017, 11:09:33 PM
Can someone bootleg this? Come on, we all have video cameras on our phones now.

Of course not you bell

AzureSky

Saw this in Nottingham on Monday, was a real cinematic event, I thought.

So many great stuff in it, the privilege of seeing Morris corpsing and being filmed was obviously a highlight.

There's a great bit where he does his speech about Mike Fox the elephant and he then touches it's trunk, at which point it promptly drenches floor in urine.

Morris, laughing, says "Did I press the wrong button? You piss-tank!"

Also, Morris as Purves Grundy qouting Paul Daniels as part of the Carla interview segment, saying "I'll just say that and you can cut it in at the end" with the same hand movement and then laughing.

Anyone know why Jerry Sadowitz is down as Location Camera on Decline? At the end of the film, all of the fake ones are shown together, but never understood that one and didn't ask during the Q&A.

BlodwynPig

Sad news regarding Fur Q from his island retreat in Greece - he's got an Ouzo Liver.

Cheesewogg

The Glasgow showing of Oxide Ghosts was excellent; Cummings a self effacing and thoughtful curator of his own film. Showed a surprisingly vulnerable side to Morris too.

Icehaven

What have the audiences been like for these, alright or maddeningly annoying?

another Mr. Lizard

Derby show now confirmed, 6.45pm on Tuesday November 14th, Q&A moderated by me. Venue is QUAD on Derby marketplace.

Full details here, tickets now on sale: http://www.derbyquad.co.uk/film/oxide-ghosts--the-brass-eye-tapes--adv-18---dir-q--and--a.aspx

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: icehaven on September 27, 2017, 10:05:37 AM
What have the audiences been like for these, alright or maddeningly annoying?

The audience I saw it with were great, there was a lot of laughter but I didn't hear anyone talking and no one was fucking about with their phones, etc.

I enjoyed it a great deal and it was a fascinating insight in to how the series was made, but at the same time I'm glad the majority of the new footage didn't make it in to the final edit, there's some funny moments for sure but it's not as sharp as Morris normally is. And whilst he was clearly having fun with the weasel fighting guy I found that segment began to drag pretty quickly.

Apparently there's no plans for this to be released on dvd or online, Morris and Cumming want it to be a special thing that people have to go to the cinema for, so I would recommend people see it if they can.

king_tubby

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 27, 2017, 10:30:26 PM
I enjoyed it a great deal and it was a fascinating insight in to how the series was made, but at the same time I'm glad the majority of the new footage didn't make it in to the final edit, there's some funny moments for sure but it's not as sharp as Morris normally is. And whilst he was clearly having fun with the weasel fighting guy I found that segment began to drag pretty quickly.

Yeah, I went to the Leeds showing and I'm 100% with you on this. I came out thinking that'd I'd have preferred another hour of Q&A rather than the actual footage. Because the Q&A was fascinating.

Captain Crunch

Bristol was very good, the film went down well and the questions were ok.  Lots of sidetracks into Bullseye, not sure if that was common at the other sessions?

Quote from: Dineen on September 17, 2017, 09:46:07 PMAnyone know why Jerry Sadowitz is down as Location Camera on Decline? At the end of the film, all of the fake ones are shown together, but never understood that one and didn't ask during the Q&A.

Sadly no great anecdote, he just said they were both big fans. 

VelourSpirit

Quote from: another Mr. Lizard on September 27, 2017, 06:46:30 PM
Derby show now confirmed, 6.45pm on Tuesday November 14th, Q&A moderated by me. Venue is QUAD on Derby marketplace.

Full details here, tickets now on sale: http://www.derbyquad.co.uk/film/oxide-ghosts--the-brass-eye-tapes--adv-18---dir-q--and--a.aspx

Brilliant, I won't have to go to Sheffield then!

Straight Faced Customer

Sold out screening tonight, damn! Surely some fellow CABers are commuting to/living in Herts?

Enzo

I see there is a Belfast screening TBA for the end of November.

Might drive up from Cork for it, if there's no Dublin date.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Moving to Dublin in a fortnight there'd fucking better be one.

Lt Plonker

Paaaaul

Quote from: Beagle 2 on September 16, 2017, 11:48:27 PM
Absolutely glorious, I've never laughed that much in a cinema before.

Makes me cry a bit that this will never see the light of day as a home release , there's so many places where you want to hit pause.
Like the bit that listed Donald Trump as living in The White House, Washington.

TJ

I'm at the Liverpool screening tonight if anyone wants to say hello. Or knowing you lot, probably "THIS IS THE NEWWWWWWWWWWS".

The Giggling Bean

Ah TJ I saw this too late. I was there last night....i was the guy who asked the question at the end about how prepared were the live studio audience for the content in the Sex episode.

I really enjoyed It, likewise it's disappointing that it won't have a release, it was well worth seeing. I particularly enjoyed the lady parliament segment. It reminded me of a cross between War and the Jam Festival. It was interesting to see the full "Sutcliffe : The Musical" segments. Overall it was worth it just to see Chris breaking character though. I had a ball and it makes me want to go back and watch the series again.

Honestly if you're on the fence, go and see it you won't regret it.

TJ

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on October 17, 2017, 09:40:09 AM
Ah TJ I saw this too late. I was there last night....i was the guy who asked the question at the end about how prepared were the live studio audience for the content in the Sex episode.

I really enjoyed It, likewise it's disappointing that it won't have a release, it was well worth seeing. I particularly enjoyed the lady parliament segment. It reminded me of a cross between War and the Jam Festival. It was interesting to see the full "Sutcliffe : The Musical" segments. Overall it was worth it just to see Chris breaking character though. I had a ball and it makes me want to go back and watch the series again.

Honestly if you're on the fence, go and see it you won't regret it.

Ah, that's a shame! I thought that was a great question and something I'd always wondered about - I was the one who asked how he'd felt when Brass Eye was finally over and done with.

I have half an idea for a review of Oxide Ghosts, so I might write one if anyone's interested...?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: TJ on October 17, 2017, 10:45:01 PM
I have half an idea for a review of Oxide Ghosts, so I might write one if anyone's interested...?

Definitely! We'd all love to read that, TJ.

bobloblaw

seeing it in Crouch End tonight, with Cumming in attendance. Will report back too

TJ

bobloblaw

some tidbits from last night's Q&A -apologies if some of these are common knowledge or duplicate some of the other Q&As he's done. (Doc was a fab watch, btw, do go and see it. Highlights: women's parliament, Huggy Bear actor, Sutcliffe!, MPs and animal liaisons)

When BBC exec watched the pilot, they said they only liked the first 90 seconds and couldn't broadcast any of the rest of it.

The mandrill in the Drugs episode was one of most expensive scenes: it cost £2K for an hour, on screen for 5 seconds.

None of the celebrities said 'this is a stunt'. The only person who refused to read something on the grounds it was ridiculous was Toyah Wilcox.

Sometimes the crew went in as a low-key student activist group - often Chris or Michael wouldn't be there, just a researcher.

Only twinge of guilt he felt was towards Darcus Howe. The 'cocoa shunter' intro was recorded after 90 minutes of interview in which Chris tried and failed to get Darcus to say something stupid. Michael didn't know anything about the intro and suspected it was there in case he needed it at any time. Broke their unwritten code that if people didn't engage, they wouldn't use their stuff. Michael said only justification for this was that he and Chris both had an intense dislike of Robert Elms, so it felt more like a joke about him.

Street drug-dealing scene was one of the first things of Chris' list. Explicitly stated it had to be a space hopper on his head, even when art department told him it would deflate. Had to be filled with a foam substance. Had to borrow a convertible to get there because he couldn't fit it into a normal car.

There was talk of doing another series in the US.

zomgmouse

Is there any possibility at all of bringing this to Australia? I don't know how rights and things would work internationally but there's certainly heaps of interest.

another Mr. Lizard

The show at Derby QUAD on Nov 14th now has additional tickets available - it's been moved from screen two into the main auditorium, the 'Sir John Hurt Cinema' which is approx twice the size.

axel

Interesting review TJ.
I wasn't aware of the BES links to a real criminal case at the time, but always thought the episode just wasnt very funny. In fact, rewatching them recently and Nathan Barley is a lot better than both that and Jam (Blue Jam still better than all three).
Wish i had thought of asking about the opening titles on BE at Oxide Ghosts. It might even mean there is enough unseen footage to make an OG2.

TJ

Quote from: axel on October 29, 2017, 08:28:45 AM
Interesting review TJ.

Thanks!

QuoteI wasn't aware of the BES links to a real criminal case at the time, but always thought the episode just wasnt very funny.

It was actually from the mid-eighties, and the perpetrators went to trial in the early nineties. They were responsible for at least three proven murders but the whole story went weirdly under the radar; this may have been because the gang mainly preyed on rent boys and nobody cared, although at least one of the gang has been linked - by retired detectives - to both Savile and the whole Westminster Abuse story so who knows. i only really knew so much about it because I was doing work experience on a newspaper at the time of one of the trials; when I first brought this all up on here even Ambient Sheep didn't really know about any of it, which is saying something.

Anyway, the gang were released - *released* - in around 1998/9 which was really where all that panic kicked off. In retrospect I don't think you can blame parents for being concerned about convicted child killers who were still relatively fit and young being released into their community, and if anyone went over the top with that it was the papers. I'm still not sure the 'satire' hit any of the right targets. Also I really did feel for the producer of that Dispatches when I read Disgusting Bliss - she was only trying to *help*, I guess, no matter how much 'camp relish' (actual quote) Morris thought there was in the resultant documentary.

But yeah, bit short on laughs overall. I still say I only really laughed at Hall & Oates and at Morris tearing up the art in the gallery as much as I did the original Brass Eye. But let's not make this about BES. Oxide Ghosts is fantastic, and while I appreciate the intent behind the 'ephemeral' thing, I do hope everyone gets a chance to see it somehow.

JohnnyW

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on October 17, 2017, 09:40:09 AM

I've always wondered about this myself. What did he say? (I saw Oxide Ghosts at Crouch End, and we do see the audience break into the laughter the second the young actress does, so I guess they knew, although it would be interesting to know how Morris explained what he was doing.)

I got to ask about the title, which I don't know if it had ever been explained. Apparently it was a conflation of two popular current affairs shows: Brass Tacks and Public Eye.

TJ

Quote from: JohnnyW on October 29, 2017, 12:58:15 PM
I've always wondered about this myself. What did he say? (I saw Oxide Ghosts at Crouch End, and we do see the audience break into the laughter the second the young actress does, so I guess they knew.)

I got to ask about the title, which I don't know if it had ever been explained. Apparently it was a conflation of two popular current affairs shows: Brass Tacks and Public Eye.

That's interesting to hear, as one of the writers told me at the time that it was Brass Tacks and TV Eye... they were all something bloody 'Eye' around then so I'm not surprised they picked on that! Vague memories of Brass Tacks having a reporter who looked like Ted Maul too, though I've never been able to corroborate that.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 27, 2017, 10:30:26 PM
there's no plans for this to be released on dvd or online, Morris and Cumming want it to be a special thing that people have to go to the cinema for, so I would recommend people see it if they can.

That's very annoying for me because they are showing it in a 200 seat night club in Dublin. They added an extra show and then an extra day with two more showings and every time I go to get a ticket it's sold out. Short of going to Belfast there's no way I can ever see this. Fucking pissflaps to it anyway. I'm not trying to see U2 or something.