Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:22:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The "ja danketies" joke

Started by Howj Begg, August 15, 2017, 01:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howj Begg

Sometimes I think this is the perfect joke. But actually at least half the reason is the performance, because it sounds terrible on paper.

I think it took me two years to get the joke. How long did it take you?

Here Comes Mongo

I've always found it funny but I'm still not sure I get it.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Here Comes Mongo on August 15, 2017, 01:21:02 PM
I've always found it funny but I'm still not sure I get it.

Why do you say that? What do you think you don't get?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

At first I thought it was some kind of patois. Same as below, must have seen it ten times before realising.

It's not really a joke, it's just an example of the intensely different writing that went into Brass Eye, and how every line of dialogue was mined for potential subversion/creativity.

Here Comes Mongo

Quote from: Howj Begg on August 15, 2017, 01:36:57 PM
Why do you say that? What do you think you don't get?

'Ja danke' means 'yes thanks' in German. Is there any more to it than that?

Howj Begg

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 15, 2017, 02:31:01 PM
At first I thought it was some kind of patois. Same as below, must have seen it ten times before realising.

It's not really a joke, it's just an example of the intensely different writing that went into Brass Eye, and how every line of dialogue was mined for potential subversion/creativity.

Well it's a play on words with a set-up and punchline, so I think it's a joke, just a pretty unique one, as you say, cos of the writing. I'd be interested if any of the comedy historians on this board can trace a lineage for the influences on this joke.

The crucial thing though, is that it's a play on words in another language than English, so it expects some knowledge and understanding from the viewer. Even then we have to work a bit to get it. Morris has form on this of course, there's whole sections in French on his radio shows.

But what else comes close to this gag in Brass Eye, for single line compression and ingeniousness?

BlodwynPig

I've never thought about it...and had to read the thread from 2009 to partly get it

nineties (nein-ties)

ja-danketies (yes-thanks ties)...but wherein the joke. I can't remember the context of the line.

Howj Begg

Not so much the nein-ties, as the ja danke-ties. It's referencing the 'just say no' campaign for drugs.

Utter Shit

I only got it once I saw it written down on here. In fact I'm pretty sure only one person ever got it the first time around, posted the explanation on here and that's how everyone else gets it now.

Serge

At first I thought it was some kind of patois.

Yeah, same here! I thought there must be some kind of tortuous reference to Yardies that I wasn't getting. I don't think I got it until I read about it on here either.

Howj Begg

I got it a couple of years after it aired, before I found this site, you bastards.

Absorb the anus burn

Yeah, it took me ages to get that as well.....

BlodwynPig

ok, still confused and all you bastards unwilling to spell it out.

Just say no?

ja danke

just say yes, thank you?

i.e. everyone wanting drugs rather than heeding a anti-drugs campaign from the decade before?

Howj Begg

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 15, 2017, 04:09:05 PM
ok, still confused and all you bastards unwilling to spell it out.

Just say no?

ja danke

just say yes, thank you?

i.e. everyone wanting drugs rather than heeding a anti-drugs campaign from the decade before?

Not so much the nein-ties (just say no) as the ja danke-ties (instead people are saying yes to drugs, rather than no) (in the decade called the nineties ('90s), as implicitly opposed to the '80s, when the just say no campaign came out)

So yeah your last sentence is correct.

Here Comes Mongo

Quote from: Howj Begg on August 15, 2017, 03:19:10 PM
Not so much the nein-ties, as the ja danke-ties. It's referencing the 'just say no' campaign for drugs.

Oh yeah, cheers, I never thought about that! So no, it turns out I didn't properly get it after all.

Hangthebuggers

Aaah just got this now. Very clever.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It also makes sense delivered in the context of the scene Morris walks through which is a tableaux of liberal excess, for which German post-reunification was particularly noted for and therefore quite a mid-90s kind of reference.

TheManOne

Ctrl+C Ctrl+V

TheManOne

I always wondered if there was more to what I hear as "Later we'll be microtomiter candy hell"

Kane Jones

None of you will believe me but I got it straight away and explained it to my friend who I was watching it with.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 15, 2017, 03:16:28 PM
nineties (nein-ties)

I got what Chris was actually saying long before I twigged the above. Because I'm a twat.

Here Comes Mongo

Speaking of that particular scene, the bloke asks Chris Morris if he has any smack, to which CM responds "Sorry, I don't use the horse". Is 'the horse' an actual term for heroin use or is it some weird phrase coined by Morris?

TheManOne

For me it was a word which appeared ONLY to be used to refer to heroin in a leaflet which was distributed in schools with "Slang names for drugs" on it. HORSE always stood out after SMACK, H, GEAR etc.
I always wondered if one of the writers remembered it too.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Precisely. The most ridiculous sounding one was ideal for the Chris Morris anchor persona to stagily perform. Also I suspect because it was an animal name and yer man Morris love dem animals. I particularly enjoy when he wraps his tongue around 'heroin' in the line 'the amount of heroin i inject is harmless', the sense of class status from that alone elevates it.

On the same subject the term "gear" was perfect for Alan Partridge where in I, Partridge he describes "a rush of adrenalin as strong as an intravenous drug like smack, heroin or geeeeear" where it's faintly believable he wouldn't think they were all the same.

Quote from: Here Comes Mongo on August 15, 2017, 10:44:23 PM
Speaking of that particular scene, the bloke asks Chris Morris if he has any smack, to which CM responds "Sorry, I don't use the horse". Is 'the horse' an actual term for heroin use or is it some weird phrase coined by Morris?

There's a Libertines lyric that goes: "It's a horror show, you should come on round/ Horror show, the horse is brown'. I think people normally say 'horse' rather than 'the horse'.

blue reel

I think white horse is a fairly common slang term for herioin in the U.S.

The Danes wrote a song with a rather dubious message, recommending the 'white pony' instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwATF5dnfq4

Rode the white pony to #1 on the US Billboard Hot Dance Play Charts in 1983. 

Dr Rock

QuoteIn September my cousin tried reefer for the very first time
Now he's doing horse, it's June

Prince, Sign O' The Times

Pretty sure nobody says 'the horse' so that's Morris making it sound sillier.

Dr Rock

See also Chestnut Mare by The Byrds. All about chasing a brown horse. Could be a coincidence.

Replies From View

Quote from: Kane Jones on August 15, 2017, 09:43:23 PM
None of you will believe me but I got it straight away and explained it to my friend who I was watching it with.

I bet your friend didn't need to have it explained though.

I got it straightaway and assumed everyone else did as well.  So there.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 16, 2017, 07:36:08 AM
See also Chestnut Mare by The Byrds. All about chasing a brown horse. Could be a coincidence.

I have always assumed this is about Roger McGuinn's sexual attraction to a horse.

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 16, 2017, 07:26:57 AM
In September my cousin tried reefer for the very first time
Now he's doing horse, it's June

Much as I love Prince, that song, and the album, that couplet is unintentionally hilarious.