Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:08:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The "ja danketies" joke

Started by Howj Begg, August 15, 2017, 01:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

QuoteGolden brown horse, texture like sun
Lays me down with my might she runs
Throughout the night
No need to fight
Never a frown with golden brown horse

Absorb the anus burn

There's a message floatin' in the air.
Crazy heroin ridin' everywhere.
It's a warning, it's in every tongue.
Gotta stop that crazy heroin on the run.

What a show, there they go smokin' up the sky, yeah.
Crazy heroin all got riders, and they're you and I.
Crazy heroin

Never stop and they never die.
They just keep on puffin' how they multiply.
Crazy heroin, will it never halt?
If they keep on movin' then it's all our fault.

What a show, there they go smokin' up the sky, yeah.
Crazy heroin all got riders, and they're you and I.
Crazy heroin

So take a good look around,
See what they've done, what they've done,
They've done,
Crazy heroin.

The Osmonds briefly turning into Amon Düül III.

chocky909

Look, most of us here got the "ja danketies" joke immediately but what about other people less stable, less educated, less middle-class than us? Builders or blacks for example.

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 15, 2017, 03:16:28 PM
I've never thought about it...and had to read the thread from 2009 to partly get it

nineties (nein-ties)

ja-danketies (yes-thanks ties)...but wherein the joke. I can't remember the context of the line.

Just got it right now. Nice.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Howj Begg on August 16, 2017, 12:42:12 PM
I have always assumed this is about Roger McGuinn's sexual attraction to a horse.

"And we'll be friends for life/She'll be just like a wife."

McGuinn, you fucking monster.

Twed

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 17, 2017, 03:33:01 AM
Just got it right now. Nice.
Holy shit I didn't realise the nine/nein part tied into it. I thought the joke was "this sounds like a nonsense word but it's actually German for no thank you".

Noodle Lizard

Hah, I honestly never got that joke.  I always laughed at the line but, like someone else mentioned, I thought it was some kind of mock patois.  His delivery doesn't bring German to mind, and the nineties/nein-ties connection isn't immediately obvious.

Ferris

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 19, 2017, 04:48:01 AM
Hah, I honestly never got that joke.  I always laughed at the line but, like someone else mentioned, I thought it was some kind of mock patois.  His delivery doesn't bring German to mind, and the nineties/nein-ties connection isn't immediately obvious.

I thought it was Chris Morris faux-"street" slang for enthusiastically affirming something using pseudo-German.

"Another pint?"
"Ja danketty!"

Like "hot diggity" which must be where I got the idea from. Then again, iOS has a red line under it which should have been my first clue. I like the tie back to the nein/nineties a lot more.

Dr Rock

At this late stage let me confirm that I got the joke at the time, he obviously took the word 'nine' out of nineties the second time and replaced it with something German. And nine sounds like nein so it all fell into place.

I think it's a fantastic joke.

DukeDeMondo

Add me to the list of folk who are only now getting the joke. It feels like a weight's been lifted. If only we still had karma.

dallasman

I did four years of German in school, so I got it at once. I am surprised that so many people didn't get it, though. Don't most people know "ja", "nein" and "danke", even if they don't speak the language? Like how I know "oui", "non" and "merci" even though I don't speak any French?

edit: pointless bump, and now it looks like I'm stalking the Duke. I just wanted to show off my German, honestly.

gilbertharding

Another one for 'partially got it'. I know what 'Ja danke' meant, and I was well on board with the idea that the 1990s were pharmaceutically permissive compared to the 80s, but I never got the 'Nein-ties' part of the riddle until now.

Similarly the Smith and Jones:
"John Lennon wasn't so much a man, as a symbol."
"Must have been handy for Ringo..."

I presumed until quite recently this was a joke about Ringo being illiterate, rather than a pun on cymbal.

Twed

Quote from: dallasman on September 19, 2017, 06:50:35 PM
I did four years of German in school, so I got it at once. I am surprised that so many people didn't get it, though. Don't most people know "ja", "nein" and "danke", even if they don't speak the language? Like how I know "oui", "non" and "merci" even though I don't speak any French?
I think most people can translate "ja danke", but the delivery of the line doesn't clearly signal that it's German (there's no accent and it's delivered quite straight), so it can easily just seem like silly nonsense words.

Barry Admin

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on August 19, 2017, 08:32:07 PM
Add me to the list of folk who are only now getting the joke. It feels like a weight's been lifted. If only we still had karma.

Genuinely think the place is much better without karma though.

Cold Meat Platter

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ferris

MoonDust

Can someone tell me what on earth this thread is on about? What "ja danketies" joke? I've seen every episode of Brass Eye but this jogs no memories.

I'm reminded of someone who posted in the comedy lines thread to mention what comedy they're quoting because he has no idea what they're off otherwise.

https://youtu.be/MIAJemmO-bg?t=2m34s

Just watching that bit again, is the "No thanks, I don't use the horse" bit redubbed?  Hard to tell from the video quality.

MoonDust

Ahhhhhhh.

The nein-ties. Of course.

MoonDust

Just to be a pedantic bastard it's "no thanks" and "yes please" normally, so shouldn't it be "ja bitte-ties" not "ja danketies"?

samadriel

"Yes thanks" just sounds more Morris-y to me...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: MoonDust on October 31, 2017, 09:50:42 AM
Ahhhhhhh.

The nein-ties. Of course.

Another ensnared.

In fairness Morris doesn't put on a German accent for the pronunciation to telegraph it.

Shame as his unmanning of Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan was effectively stark Deutsch sprechen. I love how tiny moments like that build up into the impression of newsanchor Christopher Morris as being a supreme authority.

dronedown

Quote from: Howj Begg on August 15, 2017, 01:14:25 PMI think it took me two years to get the joke. How long did it take you?

I got it this morning while brushing my teeth. So it took me 22 years.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 16, 2017, 03:36:47 PM
Lays me down with my might she runs

It's mind, not might, isn't it?

I remember a few of us at school wondering what a 'mancheerum' was and someone told us "It's a stirrup, for a horse."

mojo filters

If you Google mancheerum the top result is a thread on here from 2010!

I have to admit that without the benefits of any lyrics in my Stranglers CDs, I'd always heard a single word akin to "mancheerums."

Until the internet happened to correct me, I'd just assumed it was some kind of obscure eastern device for smoking opiates, which I presumed upmarket heroin consumers like pop stars would use to avoid faffing around with blackened foil like us proles.

Mister Six

Quote from: chocky909 on August 17, 2017, 01:39:48 AM
Look, most of us here got the "ja danketies" joke immediately but what about other people less stable, less educated, less middle-class than us? Builders or blacks for example.

Isn't it "Builders, for example. Or blacks"?

If not, it should be, because that's much funnier.

thenoise

I got it when I bought the DVD and was watching it with subtitles to avoid waking my housemates (which is cheating).  It's a great gag.

kalowski

Quote from: mojo filters on October 07, 2019, 11:50:47 PM
If you Google mancheerum the top result is a thread on here from 2010!

I have to admit that without the benefits of any lyrics in my Stranglers CDs, I'd always heard a single word akin to "mancheerums."

Fuck this nonsense, it is mancheerums.