Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:30:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Haha Tape IV. Buy in?

Started by Johnny Textface, August 18, 2017, 07:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Textface

Ideas?
Concept album?
Collaborations?
Rules?
Buy in?

NoSleep

I'm in and I'll do the necessary compilation, mastering and consultation with individual contributors to kick it up the hill.

I'd thought about the collaboration thing too. Not sure how well it would work out compared to leaving people to follow their own path. All of them have been a kind of collaboration due to the method of following one from the other to make the whole album gel together (they've all worked well as albums, to listen to from start to finish).

I think the rules should include all contributions beginning at the same time (to speed things up). So the idea of a concept album or a plan where each contributor is set a task that is the part of the whole would help to unify the whole thing. Or maybe a quick preliminary round where we do the round robin/chinese whisper thing but don't get caught up in elaborate production before letting the next person hear the result; so literally the rough of an idea or a starting point; a chord sequence, a melody, a bassline, a drumbeat; some single element for the next person to hear what they're following and maybe some notes about what you're thinking of doing. Maybe concentrating on providing something that might get incorporated into the ending moments of your piece so that the next person can start from that basis, knowing what their track will emerge from.
The fact that these will be rough ideas means we can get all the waiting for complete tracks out of the way, because that can all happen in the next round when we all get cracking on the actual completion of the tracks. Maybe incorporate some options for adding new blood if somebody wants to join in later on (as there's usually some stragglers) to bump up the numbers. And a time limit/race to get them finished to avoid a year-long wait (and the rest).

Dr Syntax Head

Is this some kind of CaB music maker's compilation tape idea? If so I can contribute things

Noddy Tomkey

Well how's about Brucie for a concept?

Also double track everything.

Beagle 2

I'm in for a penny. Like the idea of a concept album and starting at the same time.

Glebe

I've a few little ideas knocking around since last year that I never got round to doing because anxiety and stress and that, so...

Quote from: Noddy Tomkey on August 18, 2017, 09:49:34 PM
Well how's about Brucie for a concept?

Also double track everything.

A Brucie concept album would be awesome. I thoguht the cover could be this

But with different era Brucie faces.

NoSleep

No Brucie for me, thanks. Not a fan, ever.

NoSleep

And Neil asked for all the Brucie shit to stop yonks ago.

NoSleep

If we go for the concept album idea it should be abstract (and universal) enough to be open to interpretation whilst bringing a structure to the whole, like a story (broken down into chapters), or the days of the week or the months of the year. Bland is fine; leave all the fire for the individual contributors to add at will (somebody might really not like Mondays, for example). No need to cite the concept in your piece or even title it so (so you don't actually have to say you don't like Mondays in the tune).

Dusty Gozongas

Beagle 2

Something I thought of, and might well appeal to the musical sensibilities of a few of the folk on here, is to take an interesting piece of audio and use samples from it. Everybody has to mine it for samples but you can choose whichever part you like. Or we could allocate chunks of it. The album could be loosely based on whatever we picked, and the samples could used however people saw fit.

An old movie or bit of Pathe footage or something.

Whatcha reckon?

alan nagsworth

Hello. I've been making music again this summer and I would like to manifest my sudden resurgence of creativity down another avenue, so can I take part please?

NoSleep

You're now on the list, Nags.

Quote from: Beagle 2 on September 05, 2017, 11:47:39 PM
Something I thought of, and might well appeal to the musical sensibilities of a few of the folk on here, is to take an interesting piece of audio and use samples from it. Everybody has to mine it for samples but you can choose whichever part you like. Or we could allocate chunks of it. The album could be loosely based on whatever we picked, and the samples could used however people saw fit.

An old movie or bit of Pathe footage or something.

Whatcha reckon?

Any suggestions of footage? Are there any public domain old films or whatever we could use? Or maybe a silent film would be good and we make a new soundtrack for it.

the

I might throw my keys1 in the bowl2 for this. May end up being quite short though.

1 Juno 1
2 toilet

Quote from: NoSleep on August 18, 2017, 07:56:21 PMto make the whole album gel together

Apologies for the selective quote, but (and I think we may have chatted about this before) here are some further ideas:

1) For the unifying material, how would you feel about about you (or a collection of people) putting up a 'sample pack' as the album's basis - a zip file of grooves and plips and textures - that everyone can use as start points / glue?

2) Alternatively, that could just be phase one - then if a few people finish their tracks in a timely manner, maybe pieces of their tracks could go to the stragglers, to use as their material.

3) Also, if "I'll never finish this track" anxiety sets in with anyone, they could just submit the unfinished track to you as 'incomplete', and you could just use an excerpt of it as a fade-in/out segue between tracks.

Just some ideas to try and keep it moving.

NoSleep

Quote from: the on September 06, 2017, 07:11:24 PM
1) For the unifying material, how would you feel about about you (or a collection of people) putting up a 'sample pack' as the album's basis - a zip file of grooves and plips and textures - that everyone can use as start points / glue?

I had considered sending something really simple to each contributor; maybe a single note repeating at a certain tempo, but some people don't work like that (in keys and stuff).

I'm warming to this idea of using an old film as a template. I'm drawn to old horror films myself (lots of emotional, dramatic & melodramatic scope for music creation) but maybe we should agree some kind of genre before we begin naming films.

gabrielconroy

Count me in! My production music has completely ground to a halt, but I recently got a digital piano so would love to try to work that into a track for this somehow.

I also really like the idea of soundtracking a film. Great idea.

Beagle 2

Quote from: NoSleep on September 06, 2017, 02:01:25 PM
Any suggestions of footage? Are there any public domain old films or whatever we could use? Or maybe a silent film would be good and we make a new soundtrack for it.

I guess it depends how many people commit, we'd need a sensible length.

I think it's essential that everybody is working at the same time given the time it took to finish previous HAHAs, so not sure how it would work in terms of pieces flowing into each other if we did go the soundtrack route (which is definitely a cool idea by the way)?

the

Quote from: NoSleep on September 06, 2017, 08:06:38 PMI had considered sending something really simple to each contributor; maybe a single note repeating at a certain tempo, but some people don't work like that (in keys and stuff).

;)

Quote from: NoSleep on September 06, 2017, 08:06:38 PMI'm warming to this idea of using an old film as a template. I'm drawn to old horror films myself (lots of emotional, dramatic & melodramatic scope for music creation) but maybe we should agree some kind of genre before we begin naming films.

Not a bad thought - though as a sample-based tosser I respond to more of a range of sources/moods than a long piece from the same source/mood. That's just a viewpoint though, I vill not complain about the final system.

Just a (probably unhelpful) wayward thought: could be interesting to use something 'compiled' like a particular episode of TOTP - although it might encourage straight lifting of familiar pieces than a more abstract/sideways use of the source material.

Edit: sorry, I realise now you were talking about soundtracking a film, rather than using the existing soundtrack of a film for audio source. (Is is supposed to sync up? I think it could be a bit of a ball and chain if so.)

NoSleep

I don't think we should commit to syncing up, or even bothering to view the film with the new soundtrack afterwards. It's just a springboard for people to use however they wish. We have to be flexible about how we're going to chop up the film, too. What if somebody drops out, or a couple more people want to join in after we've commenced? We don't want to restrict (or demand extra) time length for each contribution, either. Best keep it loose.

NoSleep

The best thing about this idea is that everyone can see the shape of the whole album before we start. The good thing about that is that early scenes can be made to anticipate later, more climactic, scenes; in a similar way to how Bernard Hermann makes the drive to Bates Motel foreboding even though we know nothing about what will happen at that point (it's just somebody driving a car).

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Hit a wall with music recently so very interested in getting a bit of a kick up the arse working on something with other people. What's going on??

Johnny Textface

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on September 07, 2017, 04:52:50 AM
Hit a wall with music recently so very interested in getting a bit of a kick up the arse working on something with other people.

Yep, these projects make me get round to starting and finishing something fresh.

Could we use the dice somehow? Could help with various creative decisions... just a thought.

Petey Pate

Quote from: NoSleep on September 07, 2017, 03:35:13 AM
I don't think we should commit to syncing up, or even bothering to view the film with the new soundtrack afterwards. It's just a springboard for people to use however they wish. We have to be flexible about how we're going to chop up the film, too. What if somebody drops out, or a couple more people want to join in after we've commenced? We don't want to restrict (or demand extra) time length for each contribution, either. Best keep it loose.

I can't imagine a soundtrack for a film working if its made up of disparate pieces made by people who haven't heard each others work.  Most soundtracks make use of recurring motifs and producing one in this way would make that impossible.

I'm all for using a film as a jumping off point though.  Also, I'd be interested in contributing something.

NoSleep

Yeah, it won't be a soundtrack for the film; the (bits of the) film will be the inspiration for the individual contributions.

Beagle 2

All makes sense to me. Surely it has to be something from here?? https://archive.org/details/SciFi_Horror

I can't view any of them at work but the titles and images alone are making me imagine all sorts of fun. Particularly "Invasion of the Bee Girls".

Petey Pate